Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Ka Hana Malū (Inside Job)

• Start Topic

I enjoyed this episode.  They seem to be doing more one-off storylines this year, which makes the plots far easier to follow.  Loved Aunt Deb and her beau.  Danny nailed it when he said Steve is a marshmallow infused with testosterone! Just watching the characters interact is fun.

• Love 1

Carol Burnett is a beautiful example of aging gracefully.  She looks old...like real life, but not deformed.  I was impressed, and happy for her within the story line.

The case of the week was horrifying.  And how come we never saw the two kids who found the bodies again? That was odd, and wow, nice car teenager!

• Love 1

Great episode. Loved Frankie Vallie as a mob lawyer and the scene filmed at the cruise dock. 

It's Porter. Tom and Lynette Scavo's son from Deseperate Housewives! From the second I saw the Travis character I spent everytime he showed up in a scene trying to think and recognize where I knew him from.

• Love 1

The case this week actually bore a lot of similarities to the Jose & Kitty Menendez murders which took place in Southern California a few years ago & were widely covered in at least the US national news; at least some of the details of how the parents were shot in real life were duplicated in the ep--the father was shot in the back of the head while watching TV, for 1; also the mother's character name was Kate in the show & Kitty in real life, both variants on the name Katherine. I'm at least slightly surprised that I'm the only 1 who seems to have picked up on the similarities, given that the real case was so highly publicized.

Except in real life, unlike in the show, the sons (Lyle & Eric [Erik?]) committed & were convicted for the murder of their parents & are now each serving Life sentences in separate California prisons. In fact, the hairstyle of the actor who played Travis Kealoha in the show was similar to that of 1 of the real-life Menendez brothers. I don't know whether that was deliberate or coincidental.

• Love 1

I know Carol Burnette is a "tripleThreat" but IMO she is definitely weakest at singing and Frankie Valli is a famous Singer, period.

I know, that really annoyed me. I thought at least he would join in with her but, no, not even that.  Personally, I wish they would just stop with all the family stuff.  I much prefer shootouts to schmaltz.

Forgot to ask:  Does anyone know who was singing Hawaiian Wedding Song?  I thought it sounded like Steve Lawrence.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

Catherine found her calling teaching in Taliban-controlled Afghanistan? Er, ok. Is that the show's way of writing her off for good?

We can hope.

That was odd, and wow, nice car teenager!

That was a Ferrari, right? Can't have Larry Manetti (even for such a tiny scene) without at least one other Magnum shoutout.

• Love 1

Had to make room for the blonde Aussie somehow.

I think that was a good way of ending the Catherine story line.  Now Steve can move on.  I think the blonde Aussie suits Steve better than Catherine ever did.

Catherine found her calling teaching in Taliban-controlled Afghanistan? Er, ok. Is that the show's way of writing her off for good?

Although I liked Catherine, the actress left last year and this is there way of wrapping it up so Steve can move on.

That was a Ferrari, right? Can't have Larry Manetti (even for such a tiny scene) without at least one other Magnum shoutout.

To me it is fun to see the little shout outs.  Off topic but I wish they had done a reunion before it was too late due to actors not being able to do it.

really loved the Danny and Steve moments as they starred at the box.  There teasing each other is what drew me to the show in the first place.

I'm not sure why Frankie didn't sing.   Maybe he has a singing problem now???   Carol has sung every time she has been on, so it is in her character to sing.  Plus they used the line I thought I would have a big career in singing which didn't happen.  So I was fine with it and many woman as they get older their voices change.  I am a CB fan so maybe this is why it didn't bother me.

• Love 1

Although I liked Catherine, the actress left last year and this is there way of wrapping it up so Steve can move on.

Well yes, I know, but the actress only left because they wrote her off. I'm not sure why, or if they were debating bringing her back, but I guess they made their decision. I guess blond Aussie lady will be Steve's new love interest.

Well yes, I know, but the actress only left because they wrote her off. I'm not sure why, or if they were debating bringing her back, but I guess they made their decision. I guess blond Aussie lady will be Steve's new love interest.

From what I read it was her choice and I think it was kind of mutual.  Too many fans were vocal about not liking her.  I only have a vague memory of it, but I think she wanted to leave, don't quote me on that.

The new love interest might work if they allow it to move along slowly.  It really depends how they do it.  If she takes away from the main core I think the fans will respond negatively.  And to have Steve's Aunt encourage him to find love is a good way to clear the path.  He's encouraged Danny, now it's his turn to try to get back in the game.  It might even be fun to see Danny encouraging him and making him eat dirt at the same time.  Because he can do the big, "I told you so..." 

None of this is spoiler's because I don't have a clue where they are going from this ep.  But it is clear they are setting up the direction for Steve to find love.  Of course, how long will that last?  This show isn't good about the happy ending.  Look at Chin for the major example.

From what I read it was her choice and I think it was kind of mutual.  Too many fans were vocal about not liking her.  I only have a vague memory of it, but I think she wanted to leave, don't quote me on that.

No way was it mutual or her choice. No actor wants to leave a show as a series regular for the unemployment line. If she put out any statement saying she wanted to keave, then that was just pride talking, or saving face, esp. to fans who smack-talked her.

No way was it mutual or her choice. No actor wants to leave a show as a series regular for the unemployment line. If she put out any statement saying she wanted to keave, then that was just pride talking, or saving face, esp. to fans who smack-talked her.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/28/michelle-borth-hawaii-five-0_n_5052860.html

No word yet on the reason for Borth’s departure, though a tweet from the actress on March 17 might suggest that she wasn’t thrilled with the gig.   

It's time to MOVE ON from all the negativity, so going forward I'll no longer discuss anything 5-0 related what so ever. Onward and upward!

— Michelle Borth (@michelleborth) March 18, 2014

Borth, who became very active on Twitter when she joined the show, told the Honolulu Star Advertiser last April that she wanted to embrace “all the love” that fans had to give on Twitter.

Apparently, she’s no longer feeling the aloha.

So, I think it was mutual but I don't know that it was her idea and some actors do want to leave a show when they are doing very well.  It is the nature of an actor to want to explore new characters.  I know of an actress that left, not because they wanted her to leave, but because she wanted to explore new work and that meant going back into the unemployment line.  Actually it is sometimes more difficult to find work if you stay too long as people start to see you as that character.

To me it is fun to see the little shout outs.  Off topic but I wish they had done a reunion before it was too late due to actors not being able to do it.

Oh, I loved it too - it's just that I spent the entire episode waiting for Larry to show up and wondering if maybe I'd missed it :(

To me it is fun to see the little shout outs. Off topic but I wish they had done a reunion before it was too late due to actors not being able to do it.

really loved the Danny and Steve moments as they starred at the box. There teasing each other is what drew me to the show in the first place.

I'm not sure why Frankie didn't sing. Maybe he has a singing problem now??? Carol has sung every time she has been on, so it is in her character to sing. Plus they used the line I thought I would have a big career in singing which didn't happen. So I was fine with it and many woman as they get older their voices change. I am a CB fan so maybe this is why it didn't bother me.

Frankie Valli's character was a retired shop teacher (what he apparently initially told Aunt Deb, who then told Steve)/(ex?) mob lawyer (which Aunt Deb apparently also learned about at some point, because when Steve tried to tell her this, after--I think--Jerry discovered it & told Steve/Five-0, she told Steve she already knew that about him too). Frankie didn't have an "organic" reason to sing in the show, based on his character description. It might've looked funny (& incited a lot of audience bitching about it not making sense in the ep) if a retired shop teacher/mob lawyer suddenly broke out into song; especially with a professional-quality voice.

Carol Burnett, on the other hand, did have an "organic" reason to sing in the show (both eps she's been in, in fact) because the character of Aunt Deb is supposed to have been a singer, apparently performing around wherever she lives in Southern California (at least until Mary was sent by Papa McG to live with her). I think she's also said to have given/been described as having given up a recording contract that was offered to her (if not her entire singing career) when Mary was sent by Papa McG to live with her after everyone thought Doris had died in the car accident, that was really a faked car bombing, meant to cover her disappearance when she went into hiding from the enemies she'd made during her CIA career.

As for Michelle Borth (just commenting because I'm writing a post; I know you didn't originally bring her up), I remember reading somewhere, after she was written out, that Peter Lenkov said she was only signed as a regular cast member for 2 seasons (I don't know/can't remember if there was an option for a longer contract involved). That's exactly how long she was a regular cast member: 2 seasons--S3 & S4. So she apparently fulfilled her contract, whether her subsequent departure was of her choosing, CBS', or behind the scenes "creatives" connected to the show (producers, etc.). But I can't remember if I read that on his Twitter, in response to a fan question/comment, or if he said it in an interview I read.

I just recently read that she's presently filming a role in an "independent" film; unfortunately I can't remember the name of the film. That bit of info may have been in the TVGuide spoiler I recently posted a link to in the Spoiler thread, but I'm not positive. Said spoiler had to do with Steve talking about the current status of his & Cath's relationship in the episode that aired this past Friday, November 21st (the ep this thread's for). As we know now, Aunt Deb is whom he had this discussion with.

Great episode. Loved Frankie Vallie as a mob lawyer and the scene filmed at the cruise dock. 

It's Porter. Tom and Lynette Scavo's son from Deseperate Housewives! From the second I saw the Travis character I spent everytime he showed up in a scene trying to think and recognize where I knew him from.

Same here! I had a feeling it was one of the DH kids and was able to figure it out about halfway through the episode. Thank you, IMDB, for validating my hunch.

I also wonder why Grace Park wasn't in the wedding scene. Also, can you really get married at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel that last minute? Though Leonard did have all that money. 

Edited by scrambled eggs

Also, can you really get married at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel that last minute? Though Leonard did have all that money. 

I don't think the wedding was planned at the last minute, I think Steve was told at the last minute. To keep him from being, you know, him for as short as time as possible.

Regarding Catherine, I remember that too, that Peter Lenkov said she had a two-year contract.  The contract was up, and she didn't return.  I don't believe at all that it was "mutual".  It was probably only mutual in the sense that they said to her "we don't want you back" and she's all "well I don't want to come back, onward and upward".  I read somewhere that they said her exit was "storyline dictated".  That's classic TV speak for "we fired her.  There was no more storyline for her because we didn't want her anymore."

Too bad.  I always liked her and I think she was the best matchup for Steve.  Who can forget "side grilling"?  She was military, she spoke his language, she knew his job responsibilities and what made him tick.  I will miss Michelle Borth.  I miss seeing Michelle Borth in the opening credits.  Really liked one of the box clips where she was dropping down from a balcony and looks around.

I don't particularly care for this Australian district attorney, or whatever she is.  Seems forced.  People always said that the show had to come up with ways to have Catherine make an appearance, but at least she was on the team during her second season.  This Elly woman is going to suffer the same fate that Malia and Dr. ____ (marine biologist girlfriend of Danny's) did.  They're going to have to force ways to make them appear.

As for this episode, I didn't particularly care for it.  I get that parents will do anything for their children.  But the mom paying someone to kill her and her husband so the kids would injerit 20 million?  That they then didn't want anything to do with?  Harsh.  I just don't get why she thought they'd rather have 20 million instead of her.  These were teenagers, they needed their parents.  I agree that it was reminiscent of the Menendez brothers killing, which happened 25 years ago.

Great seeing Carol Burnett again.

Doesn't "Kealoha" sound like a Native Hawaiian name?  But I thought from the photos we saw, the parents both looked white.

Edited by blackwing

If she takes away from the main core I think the fans will respond negatively.  

Unlike Jerry or Grover?  I get that they're male and therefore don't "take away from the main core", but I'm really sick of this popping up (not blaming you; just saying) every time a woman is added to a cast (but never a man).

As for this episode, I didn't particularly care for it.  I get that parents will do anything for their children.  But the mom paying someone to kill her and her husband so the kids would injerit 20 million?  That they then didn't want anything to do with?  Harsh.

And the mom is then killed by vicious shotgun blasts (and second at that -- you think she would have been killed first so she had no reaction time). The resolution seemed so dumb!

Unlike Jerry or Grover?  I get that they're male and therefore don't "take away from the main core", but I'm really sick of this popping up (not blaming you; just saying) every time a woman is added to a cast (but never a man).

For me it isn't a woman thing.  But adding females to a cast with hot guys and trying to make them love interests is tricky at best.  Some will love it others hate it.  I don't see Jerry or Grover taking away from the main cast.  Now Joe White started to do that and to be honest I stopped watching for a few seasons.  What drew me to the show is Danny & Steve friendship which this ep did highlight for a small bit. 

I don't remember this one that well and that says how long lasting it stayed with me.  Not one of their best eps but I am wanting to tune in this season, so as long as I feel that way I will continue to try to watch this season.  I didn't feel that way last season.

For me it isn't a woman thing.  But adding females to a cast with hot guys and trying to make them love interests is tricky at best.  Some will love it others hate it.  I don't see Jerry or Grover taking away from the main cast.  

Why not, though?  Any time spent on Grover, or, even more, Jerry, is less time spent with Steve and Danny.  Chin and Kono are pretty much support players these days, showing up for a shot or two -- that seems to be "taking away from the core".  And people hated Catherine even before she was much of a love interest.

I think H50 needs a few hot women to go with the hot guys (and Kono just don't cut it).

Was Kono at the wedding? Everyone got a closeup but I didn't see her. Maybe, she wasn't invited?

Speaking of the wedding, why was Kamekona's cousin/nephew sitting next to the piano with his ukulele? But when the piano music started up for Carol Burnett's song there was no ukulele music.

Why not, though?  Any time spent on Grover, or, even more, Jerry, is less time spent with Steve and Danny.  Chin and Kono are pretty much support players these days, showing up for a shot or two -- that seems to be "taking away from the core".  And people hated Catherine even before she was much of a love interest.

I think H50 needs a few hot women to go with the hot guys (and Kono just don't cut it).

I liked Catherine and never had a problem with her.  I don't agree that Kono and Chin are just showing up for a shot or two.  They will give them a storyline as they always do.  I agree that H50 can have more women, so I'm not sure we are really disagreeing about all of this.  But if we talk about this anymore it needs to go into something that deals about the entire series and not this ep.  The set up has been to give Chin, Kono, Danny and Steve a big story. 

This also allows for the characters to have time off so they don't get burned out and want to leave the show.  I don't love everything about this ep or every ep for this season, but I haven't been as excited to watch it since season 1.  So that is a big deal for me.  Maybe because I took a break it is working more for me.  JMV.

I agree that H50 can have more women, so I'm not sure we are really disagreeing about all of this. But if we talk about this anymore it needs to go into something that deals about the entire series and not this ep. The set up has been to give Chin, Kono, Danny and Steve a big story.

Fair enough on all counts. I appreciate your comments.

Edited by jhlipton

I think that was a good way of ending the Catherine story line.  Now Steve can move on.  I think the blonde Aussie suits Steve better than Catherine ever did.

I don't like Ellie.  There's something about her that just seems off, and I don't think the actress and Alex have chemistry.  I actually would rather see a PTSD episode for Steve McGarrett and put any possible love affairs on hold.  I am happy that Steve is single again because I just like the possibilities that it opens for the character, but for now, he's been through too much to just jump into another relationship.  Between losing his father, the betrayal of his mother, losing Catherine, and then being tortured repeatedly by Wo-Fat, Steve should be having some emotional issues right about now.  Alex would rock those kinds of scenes.  He was great in the 100th episode.