Type keyword(s) to search

A Jewel In The Distance: Jessica Jones Anticipation

I'm really looking forward to this now that Daredevil has proven that Marvel works just fine on Netflix.  I haven't been reading show reports beyond casting, as I don't want to be too spoiled but I am wondering about Tennant.  What accent will he be using?

• Love 1

I anticipate that whatever they do with the Purple Man is going to be VERY difficult to watch given what I've seen in Daredevil. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, either, because I believe in Jessica!

I'm super late to the party here, but I am still geeking out over Patsy ("Trish") Walker being involved with this. She has one of the most absurd backstories in superhero comics - both irl and in-universe, and she's one of my favorite Marvel characters. I expect that the "former child star" angle will probably be something frequently and hilariously referenced. I was worried that this show would be too dark for me when it became clear that the Purple Man would be a prominent character, and something tells me that TPTB must have been thinking along the same lines. In any case, I'm just grateful that she's going to be a full-fledged series regular and not a flashback tragic love interest in some kind of Daimon Hellstrom series on Spike TV.

Which I certainly would have expected to happen before ever seeing Patsy on a show with as much promise as this one.

• Love 4

They had me at Tennant, and I am sure he will creep us all out.  I must have seen Kristen Ritter in Veronica Mars, but honestly do not remember her!  I have a little time to go back and look.

I have not read the comic books.  However, although far too violent for my taste, Dardedevil was well scripted with really good performances and dragged me past the parts where I wanted to squeeze my eyes shut.  So - high hopes for this.  (Although I may want to shut my eyes occasionally here, too.)

• Love 2

They had me at Tennant, and I am sure he will creep us all out.  I must have seen Kristen Ritter in Veronica Mars, but honestly do not remember her!  I have a little time to go back and look.

She was Mayor Woody's daughter during the second season. She also reprised the role in the Veronica Mars movie.

And Daughters of the Dragon!  It could be neat to have drive-by cameos or guest appearances in the others' series.  With Jess being an investigator, she could show up in her official capacity to help Matt & Foggy or Karen on what she has going on.

But, that's just hopeful dreams right now.

Still so psyched for this!

Is it too much to hope that after they cycle through Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Defenders that they might consider doing a Heroes For Hire series?

With Iron-fist and Cage making up half the team, I got this impression that the upcoming Defenders show IS essentially a TV version of Heroes For Hire. They used the Defenders name simply because it is more accessible from a marketing perspective.

I'm actually thinking more of the mid-2000s version of the team, with Misty Knight and Colleen Wing.  I know Black Cat is tied up with the Spider-Man rights, but they could sub Hellcat in just as easily as they have for Carol Danvers.  And maybe the current White Tiger while they're at it.

I fully expect Colleen to show up in Iron Fist, since they announced Misty for Luke Cage.

• Love 1

As I just said in the other thread: This looks good. Really good. Marvel hit a home-run with Daredevil, and this looks like more of the same. If it has the same grown up approach, tight writing and cocksure attitude, it'll be a winner.

Kristen Ritter doesn't look anything like I imagine Jessica Jones should, but she does look believable as a hard-drinking, hard-fighting, hard-fucking private eye. David Tennant is going to be great as the Purple Man, and I just read that the blonde friend is Patsy Walker, so that's intriguing as well.

I think Marvel have really found their TV niche in this Netflix deal. It allows them to tell proper, well thought out stories rather than the bland, formulaic trash of their network show. With this, they don't have to sanitise everything and make it 'acceptable' for a certain timeslot. They can just tell the story they want to tell. Alias could never have been adapted to television without losing so much of what the fans of the book loved.

Kristen Ritter doesn't look anything like I imagine Jessica Jones should, but she does look believable as a hard-drinking, hard-fighting, hard-fucking private eye. 

I like that she looks fit and able to throw a punch without being crazy built and ripped. It always bugs me when super heroes on TV/movies who have what are essentially magic powers to make them strong are also super crazy huge. I mean why does say Chris Hemsworth have to get so crazy ripped when Asgardians are all naturally super strong?

Well, Thor is also Asgard's crown prince... he's supposed to be the upper echelon of Asgardians in the first place so that's probably why Hemsworth gets pumped up enough to look godly.

Comic book heroines rarely look like ripped body builders even if they can juggle tanks so, in that sense, Ritter looks just right. Comic men are ripped and comic women are sexy... that's pretty much how it plays out.

• Love 1

Well, Thor is also Asgard's crown prince... he's supposed to be the upper echelon of Asgardians in the first place so that's probably why Hemsworth gets pumped up enough to look godly.

Comic book heroines rarely look like ripped body builders even if they can juggle tanks so, in that sense, Ritter looks just right. Comic men are ripped and comic women are sexy... that's pretty much how it plays out.

You are right, although I think the interesting thing is that we haven't really seen too many (if any, I can't think of one off the top of my head in either the MCU or the X-men movies) female super heroes in movies/tv where their powers have been super strength. 

• Love 1

You are right, although I think the interesting thing is that we haven't really seen too many (if any, I can't think of one off the top of my head in either the MCU or the X-men movies) female super heroes in movies/tv where their powers have been super strength. 

That is true. I mean, Supergirl is on now and she's got super-strength but just looks like a willowy girl. Natasha is a fighting machine but isn't unusually ripped.

If they ever brought Jennifer Walters into the MCU, I think they'd need to go with a tall, super muscled lady because that's what She-Hulk is. But characters like Rogue when she was a flying brick or Carol Danvers who is a flying brick (who can shoot lasers from her hands and stuff, too) were never portrayed as anything but svelte yet buxom ladies. Even Gamorra in Guardians of the Galaxy is referred to as The Most Dangerous Woman in the Galaxy. She is super strong and an awesome fighter and all of that but what was she in the movies? Not overly muscled at all.

Jessica fits in with that as well as with the concept that her abilities are something she keeps secret.

Is this show set in the same continuity as Daredevil? Or Agents of SHIELD for that matter?  I'm a little confused on that.  I haven't got around to watching Daredevil, and I'm not sure how much I'll be "missing out" on any shared universe stuff (I enjoy stuff like that).

Is this show set in the same continuity as Daredevil? Or Agents of SHIELD for that matter?  I'm a little confused on that.  I haven't got around to watching Daredevil, and I'm not sure how much I'll be "missing out" on any shared universe stuff (I enjoy stuff like that).

They're all set in the same universe, but Daredevil and Agents of SHIELD have no shared elements other than that. Jessica Jones looks to have more of a link to Daredevil (which you should watch, by the way, because it's very good). The Devil of Hells Kitchen has been mentioned in one of the Jessica Jones trailers, and I wouldn't be surprised if this show gives some hints about Daredevil season 2, along with some cameo appearances.

And this show will obviously feed in to the Luke Cage one, which will in turn be connected to the Iron Fist one (I would assume).

• Love 1

Daredevil really only mentioned the rest of the MCU in passing... particularly in the first episode to reference The Avengers and the "Battle of Manhattan" to explain why Hell's Kitchen was such a cesspool of filth and crime. I expect that Jessica's series will probably be similar. They'll acknowledge the larger universe but they'll probably reference Daredevil more closely since the Netflix series' are meant to be closely connected.

I've got to be honest... I'm both anticipating this series and kind of terrified to watch it because Kilgrave is a special kind of monster that I don't think we've seen in the MCU yet. I don't know that this will be as violent as Daredevil, although I expect it easily could be given what Kilgrave can make people do, but I think the psychological terror will be tenfold.

It's so close... so so close...

While I remember seeing a comic called Alias at the comic book store, Jessica Jones is a character that I don't know much about.  But that doesn't matter because I'm really looking forward to this series, especially considering how great a job Marvel did with DD.  David Tennant signing on as the villain was more than enough to convince me to watch although I was a fan of Krstyan Ritter's work on Breaking Bad.

I hope everyone is prepared for just how much of an abusive creep David Tennant is going to be in this. I've seen him exhibit darkness on occasion, but nothing like he's surely going to in this.

What time does it go live on Netflix? Midnight EST or something? Because if so, it'll be ready for me to watch when I wake up tomorrow.

More good press from io9, who have watched the first seven episodes. The show focusing right down on the character relationships is going to be what makes the show special. Even in Daredevil, there was always something bigger than Matt going on. He was on a crusade to save the city. Jessica will probably spend a lot of her time not even thinking she can save herself.

I hope everyone is prepared for just how much of an abusive creep David Tennant is going to be in this. I've seen him exhibit darkness on occasion, but nothing like he's surely going to in this.

This is what I'm looking forward to the most! Is that weird?

Toniiiiiiight, tonight I can start watching!

• Love 2

So i started watching the first season last night, partially because I was bored an partially in anticipation of the Defenders (it really is the best thing Marvel has put on TV) and it got me thinking, what do people want to see for season 2? For me the big one is i really want to see an "It's Patsy" flashback clip. I mean was it some kind of kid variety show or was it Saved by the Bell or something? 

Honestly as long as they can come up with a credible villain i think they should be ok. The characters, and cast, are strong enough where i am mm pretty sure it will still be better than Luke Cage or Iron Fist.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, nosleepforme said:

I just want the show to continue to feel personal. I don't really care as much about the villains as I care about the demons that Jessica is struggling with and I hope for the show to introduce a few new interesting supporting characters that Jessica can interact with. 

That could be interesting. Maybe the show doesn't need a villain, as long as it has a decent season long theme. Thinking more about it, most shows outside of super hero type genre shows don't have villains, just people going through life and dealing with their shit.

• Love 2

One thing that made me love the Alias series was the mysteries and investigations Jessica took. You can do a villain or Big Bad, but if you drag it out it, it will kill the momentum. Sad to say Season 1 of Iron Fist is a prime example of constant drag out, but Luke Cage was just as guilty after episode 7. For Jessica, I enjoy the personal demons more and since she is now dealing with: "Being famous" and since this is taking place after Defenders. I can see how it will take a toll on Jessica. Now, she has friends, she is a "super hero" again and while some people would be happy for that, for her, that is a big problem. I be happy if the brought in The Hood. Guy who wants to be the Kingpin of Super Villains and came from a similar background as Jessica. You get powers, but it be a nice Ying and Yang where Jessica wants to just go on life and not be a big shot and The Hood wants to do everything to be a big shot. 

• Love 2