Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: The Last Call

Yes, picklesprite-- Finn told Alicia Will was trying to get hold of Damian; apparently it was that insufferable Irish jerk who was poaching clients from LG.  Please let this signal the end of Damian.  He needs to get off this show immediately.

Edited by Words

It was a man, thank heaven. Loved the show. Loved Kalinda torturing Jeffrey Grant, loved Diane firing the client, loved Matthew Goode. So is MG now a show regular. How will he be used does anyone have a theory. 

In the hospital scene, which I thought was well-acted, BTW, notice Finn referred to his wife and children.  So if TPTB are looking at putting him together with Alicia down the road, they will have to deal with those obstacles.  I do think Goode is fitting in with the cast nicely already, but Alicia really needs to not be in a relationship for a while.  I have hopes that she and Peter will have a massive falling-out and they will formally separate.

Loved Cary. Hated Alicia even more than I have in the last season or two. And hated that Finn's comment about Damian let her "off the hook". I want her unhappy, really, really unhappy. Enough to wake up and realize what a lovely sham-like crap fest she has made of her personal life lately.

Loved Diane. Loved Kalinda. Loved Eli. They all acted and reacted as I would expect them to, but with some brilliance inserted by the writers. Loved the scene with David Lee only allowing himself a minute of grief, but that it was real grief. 

Just don't care too much for Alicia anymore. 

Edited by EllenOlenska
  • Love 4

Thanks, threads merged by moderator. Please feel free to use the report button at the bottom of the post in future instances of duplicate threads.

Edited by stacey
Merged duplicate threads

Wow, that was really affecting.  It was kind of perfectly engineered to get to me, because while I have never cared much about Will, I love pretty much everyone else who's left to deal with the fallout, and I thought the show did a great job of giving them each their turn so we could see how they were handling it.  At first I was a bit annoyed when I thought David Lee really was feeling nothing, because I thought it was a disservice to the character.  When he took his moment in the empty boardroom that did feel perfectly in character and I realized I should trust these writers.  I have such trust issues from watching Glee.  Heh.  I forget most shows aren't written by complete hacks.  I also really loved how Cary's reaction unfolded.  It seemed like he was going through the stages of grief right in front of us.  And I was pleasantly surprised to see Jenna back, and I liked how she [not surprisingly] aided and abetted Kalinda.  I hope she stays and we ditch the Irish guy.  That would be perfect IMO.  

Overall I'm just really impressed with how this show has stayed pretty much at the top of its game 5 seasons in, and it's really knocking this curve ball out of the park so far.  I have no reason the rest of the season's fallout from this will be anything but compelling tv.

ETA: This is the thread actually started by a mod...

Edited by bravelittletoaster
  • Love 3

Amazing. While Will's death and Kalinda and Diane's grief left me cold last week, this week, I was in tears.

I could so relate to Finn's loopiness, as I've acted the same way when I was under drugs, some good drugs, after surgery.

Though I'm glad that Will's angry call wasn't to Alicia, but that asshat Damian, I found myself rolling my eyes at the end of the episode. Really, Alicia? You really think that Will called to tell you he wanted you back? Maybe it was wishful thinking on her part; survivor's guilt, whatever, but it was so..I don't know, narcissistic?

Loved, fucking loved Diane firing Klepper. I swear, that actor has always played murderers, rapists, quack doctors in all the years I've watched of Law & Orders, I shouldn't have been surprised he was an uber douche here. And really, again, I'm finding it hard to swallow that clients want to "think about" who will now be their lawyer when the one representing them from a good sized firm is killed suddenly. Fuck Klepper and I'm glad Diana shot him down. Ugh.

David's tears had me in tears.

I don't feel sorry for Jimmy. At the same time, again, rolling my eyes at all those cops asking him questions at the same time, while the guy is in tears, not coherent AND while his new (what the fuck?) lawyer is trying to stave them off. Did love Kalinda's "No, you're gonna have to live with this" and damn straight.

I'm hoping that this will at least, please give me scenes with Alicia and Kalinda again.

I don't know why I thought Kalinda was going to kiss Will before pulling that sheet over him.

I was not blown away by this ep.  Diane had her moment, David Lee had his moment, and Cary had his.  But to get over the loss of Will as an integral part of the show, I need these next few episodes to grip me and pull me away from the shock of his death and start showing me where we're going from here.

Eh. Alicia is such a narcissist. She managed to make Will's death be all about her. Running all over town and asking, "but did he say anything about ME!??!?" Ugh.

Diane, Cary, and David knocked it out of the park like usual. Kalinda was suitably Kalinda-y.

I love this show, but I would love it a lot more if Alicia was 10% more likeable. I just have a hard time rooting for her. Ever.

• Love 6
Really, Alicia? You really think that Will called to tell you he wanted you back? Maybe it was wishful thinking on her part; survivor's guilt, whatever, but it was so..I don't know, narcissistic?

That seems pretty true to life to me, though. In fact all of Alicia's imagined calls from Will did. The sudden loss of someone you were close to can trigger all kinds of fantasies of saying the things to each other you didn't manage to in life (because you assumed you'd have time).

I LOVED Diane firing the needy client. I could watch that on a loop about a dozen times. In fact I think I may.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 3

I agree that Alicia needs to wake up, but I didn't find her last imagining of that call selfish. And, for me, her actions as "the widow" were consistent with the importance she had in Will's life.

In my universe, she needs to wake the hell up and kick Peter to the curb, and if Will's death gets her to do that, excellent.

I'm thrilled to see that the writers seem to be dumping Damian out with last month's cottage cheese, but damn, they really seem to have a hard time writing plot lines for Kalinda, don't they? OTOH, as hot as Cary was at the deposition, I say "look no further."

David Lee's response to Diane's firing of the client? Thank goodness for one moment of his snark.

• Love 1

There was a moment at the end, when Alicia was pressing Finn, that I did an imaginary eyeroll, but even so I found her reactions exactly right for a woman who was going to get those horrible sinking feelings forever if he died angry at her. That would be Unfinished Business, indeed. It reminded me of how someone might obsess over the flowers for a funeral, for instance, to avoid facing her full and awful grief.

Either the make-up or lighting was off tonight, or my tv was wonky. In the car, Alicia looked as if she had a white neck and a yellowish face, and Grace didn't even look like herself, to me.

• Love 1

I thought they did a really good job in this episode of capturing that sick-making feeling of something terrible happening to you and the world going blithely on.  I was glad that Cary and Dianne both got to strike back at the people who had no regard for what they were experiencing, but usually irl there's no recourse.  It's always so uncanny to observe the rest of the world just going about its business when something so devastating happens to you.

• Love 1

It was a man, thank heaven. Loved the show. Loved Kalinda torturing Jeffrey Grant, loved Diane firing the client, loved Matthew Goode. So is MG now a show regular. How will he be used does anyone have a theory. 

My guess is maybe he will be the one who prosecutes the kid for Will's murder maybe?  In real life, he'd be conflicted out obviously since he was a witness himself, but details like that aren't usually an issue in TV world.

Edited by me5671
  • Love 1

I need a re-watch I think. I'm not entirely convinced that waiting a week for  this episode was the best tactical move. They needed to have this the next day or something. I've already processed a lot of my grief, so I felt a little detached watching the episode this time.

Or maybe I'm just disinvested in general given Will's death.

There were good moments - Cary, Eli, Kalinda, Diane and David Lee's grief moved me, even made me tear up a little, and the situation with the intern made me smile, but overall I appreciated the art of this episode more than being a part of it, if that makes sense.

When David Lee walked away, I thought that he was going to get on the phone to Will's clients or try to make some other move within the firm. That moment of grief really surprised me and I think that was the first moment of tears in the episode for me.

• Love 3

This was a really good episode, and everyone did a fantastic job.  Go Cary!  That opposing lawyer is going to rue the day he tried to take advantage of THAT situation!

The one part that felt fake to me was that the Governor of Illinois wouldn't be all over a courthouse shooting in downtown Chicago.  This actually happened here in Atlanta a few years ago, and every politician was all over it immediately (and rightly so).  Also, he was speaking at the Corrospondence Club (aren't they reporters?) and none of them was alerted to this major breaking news.  Also, Peter's speech seemed to have run for about 4 hours, according everything else that was happening concurrently in the episode.  I think Eli would have cancelled the speech before it even began.

• Love 1

I have to admit, I found it really satisfying that Alicia will never know what Will wanted to say to her in that voicemail.  I think it was probably something totally unimportant, but I'm glad that Alicia will have to wonder about that for the rest of her life. Oh, who am I kidding?  She'll probably be over it by the next episode.

I was worried that the message would be some love declaration from Will, and I didn't want that.  I didn't want Alicia to have any sort of closure because I feel like she spent the last few seasons playing games with Will's heart...pulling him back in with a kiss or a comment and then pushing him away again.  I have found her to be absolutely insufferable since Florrick Agos started their own firm.  Very rarely has a show made me go from liking a main character to absolutely loathing them.   

I find it strange that Alicia and Kalinda never have any scenes together and didn't even have one shared on-screen scene after Will's death.  Do those two not get along in real life or something?

I enjoy many of the actors on the show, and I adore Matthew Goode, but I think I'm out.  I was only kind of hanging in there for Will, anyways.  However, I think that I will continue to read the forums because I enjoy hearing what people have to say about the episodes.

• Love 2

Also, he was speaking at the Corrospondence Club (aren't they reporters?) and none of them was alerted to this major breaking news. 

Well, it seemed to be at least an hour later, so they probably would have found out before those scenes started.

Well, it seemed to be at least an hour later, so they probably would have found out before those scenes started.

That's possible, but then wouldn't they be expected to ask him about it? So Eli was prepared to send him out blind into a bunch of questions about a shooting that he should know about? That seems out of character.

I'm not annoyed that Alicia was consumed with knowing what Will wanted to say to her - that seems natural. What bugged me was that she took it so far as to track down the judge who was trying to leave for the day, and even followed the prosecutor to the hospital. One had been shot, and both had just experienced what was likely the most terrifying moments of their lives. But their pain and fear don't matter, because Alicia must know TODAY why Will was calling her. I was hoping one of them would say, "yeah, he was calling you because you left your purse in the office," or something equally mundane. Like, no, Alicia, Will's last moments did not center around you. You were no longer that important to him.

I know the prosecutor is joining the show as a regular, but they were really shoving it down our throats that he was a big hero. I got it, Good Wife. He's a white hat. I saw that myself in the shooting aftermath scenes. I don't need four characters to repeat the same thing.

And if they try to hook him up with Alicia, I will go ape. Leave your damn husband if you don't want him, work on your myriad personal problems, and then start up a new relationship. I can't stand a cheater, even if the person they're cheating on is a slimeball who doesn't deserve any consideration. It's just so weak. Leave the jerk and stand on your own two feet alone for more than a day, and then we'll talk.

Edited by photo fox
  • Love 3

I really like this episode. I don't want to say enjoy, but it was riveting to watch these three women: Alicia, Kalinda and Diane who work hard for the outside world to see them always keeping it together trying to deal with this tragic loss.  Diane's scenes reminded me a little when she found out she lost the judgeship and ran into the bathroom to cry.  I think this was great acting on everybody's part and the shock of killing off Will started to wear off and I realized that I was going to miss that character.  

Also, about the reporters at the correspondence lunch.  Can we assume that these are political reporters and those reporting about the courtroom shooting were probably reporters that cover the courts on a regular basis??? Just a guess.  Also, could it not be public knowledge that Will was dead yet.  It seemed like his sisters were just notified.   

• Love 1
I'm not annoyed that Alicia was consumed with knowing what Will wanted to say to her - that seems natural. What bugged me was that she took it so far as to track down the judge who was trying to leave for the day, and even followed the prosecutor to the hospital. One had been shot, and both had just experienced what was likely the most terrifying moments of their lives. But their pain and fear don't matter, because Alicia must know TODAY why Will was calling her.

I came here to say the same thing.  I hate that the writers conveniently ignored the trauma both men must have suffered.  I guess I'm supposed to believe that Alicia's behavior wasn't completely selfish, but I can't.

Also, why would either of these men know why Will was trying to call her?  They're not friends with Will. I doubt Will explained to them who he was calling and why.  Even if he was angry with Damian, it doesn't mean that he couldn't also be angry with Alicia so I don't understand why Alicia was relieved when Finn said Damian.

I thought everyone's reactions made sense in the face of fresh grief. That doesn't mean they would have done the same once thinking with a clear head, but it's the rare person who can absorb a shock of a tragic death and immediately function in a logical manner. Everything is knee-jerk.

I also thought the acting was phenomenal, particularly CB and JM.

• Love 1
I find it strange that Alicia and Kalinda never have any scenes together and didn't even have one shared on-screen scene after Will's death.  Do those two not get along in real life or something?

Apparently JM put the kibosh on the Alicia/Kalinda friendship.  She doesn't believe that a married woman would be friends with the woman who slept with her husband.

As for Damian, he's gone.  Jason O'Mara shot a pilot which has been picked up.

Enjoyed the epi overall.  I could even deal with Grace even is she is a bit clueless but considering her parents, I'm not shocked by this.

I do hope that Alicia gets off her duff and finally dumps Peter.  I get that she's given the guy mixed signals but she obviously didn't want to deal with him and he still managed to call her and show up at the apartment.

Apparently JM put the kibosh on the Alicia/Kalinda friendship.  She doesn't believe that a married woman would be friends with the woman who slept with her husband.

Them not being friends I understand. But they have not shared one scene together in this entire season, or most of last season. That just doesn't make sense, story-wise.

Julianna Marguiles in the car, under natural light, really exposes how the makeup department goes absolutely nuts on her face. I realize she's 47 and has very pale complexion but good grief do they need to dial it back a ton.

My favorite scene of the episode was Diane meeting with Will's asshole client.

"How are you doing, Diane?"

"Not good."

Christine Baranski is a frigging goddess.

• Love 5
Them not being friends I understand. But they have not shared one scene together in this entire season, or most of last season. That just doesn't make sense, story-wise.

I can see your point.  I've just related it to the whole lack of friendship between Alicia and Kalinda.  I guess TPTB figure they might as well keep them physically separate as well.

As for the Matthew Goode character, it was stated back in Dec when they announced his addition, that he would "befriend" Alicia.  I didn't take that to mean they were trying to put her together with him and I am glad they've established he has a wife and child.  Alicia could do with a friend.  It's one of the many things about her character that's screwy.  She really comes across as self-centered and oblivious.  It would be nice if she had someone to bounce stuff off of that's not a co-worker.  She really needs an outside outlet and someone to tell her to get her head out of her @ss.

Edited by milkyaqua

the shock of killing off Will started to wear off and I realized that I was going to miss that character.  

That hit me last night, too. I'm not sure there was any place left for the character to go, but I realize now what a strong, centering contribution he made to the show, even when he was being bad. It feels a little hollow right now, and as if they're all circling in panic around the space where he was. I think I'm nearly ready for the show to wind down . . .and for Diane to get a spin-off.

• Love 1

Heh.  That's a pretty high bar, though, romantic idiot.  I think general consensus among tv critics is that "The Body" did it better than it was ever or will ever be done again.

I agree with you for the most part - but if they're going to kill off Will Gardner then they'd jolly well better come close, IMO. And they didn't. They really didn't. 

(edited)

Wow well done. I liked it better than I thought. I was very surprised we would get to see such a wide birth of reactions after last week I thought it would be much more Alicia centered.

Loved Diane with the histrionic intern AND the client, both were totally deserved.

Cary and David Lee BOTH really surprised me. David Lee crying was totally unexpected and totally loved Cary shoving it back on that arrogant prick in the depo.

Kalinda really worried me, I truely thought she was going to kill the boy. Her part was the least believable to me, I don't care how close she was with the policewoman she just wouldn't get THAT much access to everything.

I found Alicia very believable. She did try to beg off and be respectful of Finn, but he insisted. I also think her playing the message and imagined what he really was going to say was her dealing with her grief in stages, but I think she will always wonder what he really was going to say. I'm glad she got no answers it was more realistic. I loved the little scene at the hospital when she imagined Will touched her shoulder and said it was all a big mistake, so true to life and denial. I didn't like her talk with Grace, that was way too deep and detailed a talk to have with your daughter, ick.

I did think it interesting that this case was supposed to be Alicia's if she wouldn't have left. How the outcome could have been much different if she was involved instead of Will, to me THAT should really haunt her.......

Edited by Cattitude
  • Love 1

I really liked this episode. It brought up some bad memories for me personally, but that meant that I found Alicia's reactions to be very realistic and believable. I love how Cary was such a bad ass in that deposition. It was a thing of beauty. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Really well acted episode, Alicia really portrayed herself as a grieving widow, and she is already pulling away from Peter. Just the beginning of the end for those two. Looking forward to when Kalinda and Alicia finally see each other again.

Edited by maxmama

I know this probably isn't a dealbreaker on a show like this, but isn't he married with a little kid?

I'm hoping so, but that scene felt oddly chem-testy to me. Maybe I'm just over-sensitive because I read an article where the Kings refused to say it wouldn't happen, and referred to his and JM's "fun chemistry". I'll cross my fingers that they just mean friend-chemistry.

(edited)
Loved Diane with the histrionic intern AND the client, both were totally deserved.

Deserved in the sense of someone (Diane) overharshly acting out their own pet peeves, so viewers with the same pet peeves applaud. But the intern might have had very sincere anguish. Diane didn't know. She was just apparently annoyed due to her dislike of such public displays. The intern might never act that way again in the likely scenario that no key person around her at work dies suddenly. I realize many support Diane on this and they applaud her acting on their own pet peeves, and they project all sorts of personality aspects onto the intern, and they feel very strongly about this. But in reality it was very harsh and unnecessarily cruel of Diane.

Edited by Lisin
  • Love 1

To me the issue with the intern is not that she was making a public display of her sorrow but that it was crazy over-the-top given that she had known Will for a week. There's always a person like that in such a situation who has to make his or (let's face it, usually) her emotional reaction so big and make the tragic event about herself. Munchausen by grief proxy!

• Love 5