Type keyword(s) to search

Thunderdome: Glee fandoms

caracas1914

Considering that the show had Sam ambivalent with himself re: body image, one would think they would see a SL where Sam could see beyond that with Mercedes as personal growth and character for him, 

Some of them actually use this as the reason Sam shouldn't be with Mercedes because Sam being ambivalent about his body means that he would never find someone who is plus to be attractive. He would have no desire for someone like Mercedes because she is not the ideal weight. 

The last remaining Klainers/writer stans  trying to make sense of the wedding episode and explaining how it all fit in,  I want that kool aide to give potential buyers next time I'm selling the Golden Gate Bridge

Edited by caracas1914

Sure, it all fit in. Why bother working on issues? Just get married! The anxiety alone over getting married could be causing most of the issues! Magic wedding rings! What is the worst that can happen--divorce? Then they can just get married again! It would be so romantic...

They always bring up When Harry Met Sally. I know for most romantic comedies you have to park your dryly rational self at the door and enjoy the ride, but you just spend 2 hrs. until true love conquers all. Glee though spent seasons, so the excuse for lack of time and the need to condense the story doesn't hold up. This season for instance has been all about the setups, with no follow-up and lead-up to the climax (the wedding) at all. Leave it to the writer stans to explain how that's a genius move. In fact, some of them have decided to excuse all of it with the premise that Glee "doesn't do process", and it's all about the final point, not the journey - not realising that what they're really saying is it's crap storytelling. 

Edited by fakeempress
In fact, some of them have decided to excuse all of it with the premise that Glee "doesn't do process", and it's all about the final point, not the journey - not realising that what they're really saying is it's crap storytelling.

That's the rationalization?   Yikes....

I honestly don't get the rationalizing.  Had Cory not passed and Finn/Rachel gotten their slapped together ending, I would have freely called it utter crud and said that if we checked in on them in a few years they most likely wouldn't have lasted.  That is not to say I wouldn't have enjoyed the moment itself because I loved their chemistry and I feel Cory & Lea really sold that Finn/Rachel adored each other in those moments they were together.  Still there is no way whatsoever I would have justified that it was a good story.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2

Super late, but RE: certain forums hating Mercedes/Samcedes, I know some of ya'll pointed out Mercedes size as a reason that the fans are so vehemently against her being with him, but I don't think thats it. Keep in mind that, when Pizes was going on, there wasnt a huge backlash about Zizes being too big for Puck, even though most on GF shipped him with Quinn (mega puke), as well as Ashley Fink being larger than Amber Riley. There were actually a decent amount of posters who liked that coupling (I know I liked them because she could give as good as she got).

Alot of backlash on *certain sites* against Samcedes is more or less based in her being black; I have a feeling if Sammie Ware was cast as Mercedes instead of Amber Riley it would still be a problem with certain viewers for "whatever reason", like "Ichabbie" from Sleepy Hollow, and theyre just friends!

I think the only reason there's not a bigger backlash against Olivia Pope is because shes the main character, from the gate Olitz was established as a couple, and theres no other competition for Fitz' attention (poor Mellie). If the show was from Pres. Grant's point of view and Olivia was one of many suitor choices, she would get the same reaction as the two aforementioned relationships.

Super late, but RE: certain forums hating Mercedes/Samcedes, I know some of ya'll pointed out Mercedes size as a reason that the fans are so vehemently against her being with him, but I don't think thats it. Keep in mind that, when Pizes was going on, there wasnt a huge backlash about Zizes being too big for Puck, even though most on GF shipped him with Quinn (mega puke), as well as Ashley Fink being larger than Amber Riley. There were actually a decent amount of posters who liked that coupling (I know I liked them because she could give as good as she got).

Alot of backlash on *certain sites* against Samcedes is more or less based in her being black; I have a feeling if Sammie Ware was cast as Mercedes instead of Amber Riley it would still be a problem with certain viewers for "whatever reason", like "Ichabbie" from Sleepy Hollow, and theyre just friends!

I think the only reason there's not a bigger backlash against Olivia Pope is because shes the main character, from the gate Olitz was established as a couple, and theres no other competition for Fitz' attention (poor Mellie). If the show was from Pres. Grant's point of view and Olivia was one of many suitor choices, she would get the same reaction as the two aforementioned relationships.

I dunno, people liked Sam and Santana. "Trouty Mouth" might be the best thing that ever happened on this show. 

Probably the people who liked Puck with Zizes is the Finchel fans, who just wanted Puck with anyone else. 

I dunno, people liked Sam and Santana. "Trouty Mouth" might be the best thing that ever happened on this show. 

What people? LOL loving Trouty Mouth =/= liking Sam and Santana.

• Love 2

Probably the people who liked Puck with Zizes is the Finchel fans, who just wanted Puck with anyone else. 

I hated Finchel and thought it dragged Rachel down, but thought Puck and Zizes was funny. I didn't think they were endgame soulmate two wuv whatever, but it was a funny side plot I enjoyed for what it was.

I don't think overinvested "fangirls/fanboys" are any more objective than OTT "haters."  To me they are two sides of the same coin.  Unfortunately those groups seem to get the most attention,  Meanwhile the vast majority of people, even those who keep up with the actors and show on social media, are the reasonable middle.

• Love 3

I don't think overinvested "fangirls/fanboys" are any more objective than OTT "haters."  To me they are two sides of the same coin.  Unfortunately those groups seem to get the most attention,  Meanwhile the vast majority of people, even those who keep up with the actors and show on social media, are the reasonable middle.

Sometimes, the overinvested fan and OTT hater is even one and the same person, only wrt different celebrities.  

Edited by fakeempress

You have to give it to some fans, though. Their entitlement never ceases to amaze me.

So, I checked, and people are now tweeting to the Anders bros. how dare anyone else sing a song penned by Darren and wail: "Does the fandom ever matter?" 

Anders replied how excited Darren was about his song. Sane people in the fandom are recalling Darren said a few years back that should he have the chance to get his song on Glee, he'd like to write an original, and he'd want Lea to sing it. 

But the crays in the Darren fandom are like, it's all about ME, not about what Darren wants and how happy he is that he got his wish! 

Edited by fakeempress

I think if's FINALLY dawning on some of the more entitled/delusional  Blaine fans/stans that ultimately Glee turned out to be ,  not the BLEE show, but the Rachel Berry show.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch.

Edited by caracas1914

^^ I also think they're taking it as if part of Darren's long-awaited and who knows if and when it's coming solo album. He's entitled to sing it because he wrote it, he's auteur, damnit! Something like that.

I wish he was singing it. Lea's final song on Glee is going to be a Darren Criss original? Ugh, who the hell wants that?? 

• Love 3

I wish he was singing it. Lea's final song on Glee is going to be a Darren Criss original? Ugh, who the hell wants that??

No contest about that, I think, from outside the show and production team. 

Edited by fakeempress

Isn't it supposed to be one of her final songs? I don't see a real problem here. Now that Glee has absolutely nothing to lose, DC's doing two songs. Good for him. I hope they're decent. LM's singing at least one of them (don't remember what's going on with the other one). None of this is anything to brag about at this point in the series, but it probably means something to them.

Isn't it supposed to be one of her final songs? I don't see a real problem here. Now that Glee has absolutely nothing to lose, DC's doing two songs. Good for him. I hope they're decent. LM's singing at least one of them (don't remember what's going on with the other one). None of this is anything to brag about at this point in the series, but it probably means something to them.

As a Lea fan I was hoping for her last solo to be a classic song. 

• Love 1

Well, maybe it will be. Right, we don't know yet? His song is just one of her final songs. I can't be too bothered what her final song is out of possible multiple songs she might be featured on in the finale when others have barely been featured at all so far.

• Love 1

A discussion in the Media thread got me thinking - people who weren't part of the overall Glee fandom in the first three seasons have no idea what true fandom insanity was really like. I think about following along with the behind-the-scenes gossip and friendships and videos from the concert tours on message boards and tumblr, and how the cast used to interact on Twitter. It really is such a different show now, not just onscreen but off as well.

• Love 2
(edited)

These days I wonder which will be the next fandom I'll get sucked into. So far I've resisted to plunge deep into anything else but Glee, though I watch and enjoy a lot -- and much better quality --TV. Glee-adjacent I watch The Flash casually, not obsessed in order to get into that fandom but I hear there are shipping wars waging there already.

My previous obsession was Veronica Mars, but I veered off after the show ended, and the fandom people I followed also moved on. I've followed some VM cast in their other projects just as a viewer. Then the VM movie project perked up the former TWOP VM forum somewhat. but the rush didn't feel the same. Lol just remembered the most recent excitement after the movie was the scandal with Michael Muhney's firing from the Y & R.

Wonder if the Glee fandom will subside soon, or will splinter into the actors'  fandoms and go from there. 

However, I wish that the CC tinhatter fandom died already. I cannot stress enough the crazy that is there, and I don't throw that word around lightly.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Wonder if the Glee fandom will subside soon, or will just splinter into the actors'  fandoms and go from there. 

However, I wish that the CC tinhatter fandom died already. I cannot stress enough the crazy that is there, and I don't throw that word around lightly.

Pretty much has splintered in to actors fandoms.   Bye to crisscolfer and those limited but vocal Cory/Monchel fans who continue to harass Lea, he BF and their friends.

(edited)

I never though much about how some fans treated Lea when she got together with her new BF, cause I don't follow her much (since I get the digest of news anyway from the tumblr glee blogs I follow), but from what was mentioned last week here wrt the hate she got about Finn's jersey - poor girl. I know they have coping mechanisms, but yikes. 

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

The passage of time sometimes doesn't stop these things. There are still some limited but vocal Faberry/Achele shippers and Lea stans who still tweet hate about Cory.

There are also those crazies who aren't affiliated with any sort of ship other than simply disliking an actor or actress. For example James van der Beek still gets hate tweets from people who simply hated Dawson. I imagine some of the hate directed towards people like Lea, Darren, and Chris also falls into this category. After all there were people were irrational about Kurt/Chris before Darren/Blaine ever came on the show. Same with Rachel/Lea and Finn/Cory before they ever dated.

Edited by camussie
(edited)

After all there were people were irrational about Kurt/Chris before Darren/Blaine ever came on the show.

I went into the Glee fandom rabbit hole around the bullying SL with Karofsky on the brink of Darren's joining in. I watched the first 13 of season 1, then lapsed, then came back early S. 2, got caught up, and then the fandom ate me lol.

So I don't recall the irrationality you mention, I'm curious? I know about the Kum shipping wars but wasn't involved.

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

There was some hate spread around to both Cory and Chris around the time of "Theatricality." Then there was hate spread to Chris over the focus on the Kurt bullying storyline. Now I am one who thought the focus was overkill and preachy but I pin that blame squarely on RM and even with that I think people who Tweet vile things to him are completely wrong

I should add I find over invested "stans" just as creepy as OTT haters. People who put their favorites on a pedastal so high that they no longer see them as human beings and therefore rip into any criticism aimed at them and ascribe it to people being haters. And people who take to social media to attack anyone who dares to disagree their favorite is not the "bestest" ever come across to me like they are hoping their fav notices their passionate defense and says let's be BFF's. Creepy.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1
(edited)

People who tweet vile things are always wrong, nevermind the recipient. Troll as he was on twitter, neither RM nor anyone else deserves threats and such..

The bullying SL and St. Kurt fights I remember vividly from TWOP. The Theatricality hate is new information. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1
(edited)

St. Kurt fights I remember vividly from TWOP.

Some of that was due to that trolling recapper Damian, who loved to stir the pot in a  chicken shit way..hiding behind his TWOP title.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3
(edited)

It seems like on tv-or movies- actors who play couples have to love each other in real life or they hate each other. Same with actors who play friends, they're either bffs in real life or they can't stand to each other.

Esp. in movies with lead actors playing a couple, the marketing and pr push has been to present them as a couple or as great friends,  even if not explicitly. From the old studio system to now, I guess the audiences like a bit of warm and fuzzy feeling about the actors they're going to see so that they buy the story / fictional couple and thus buy a ticket. TV went into this mode too. So it's just a few steps from fictional couple shipping to rp shipping for people thus inclined. I vaguely remember hearing like horror stories about the X-files fans.

Then the hate, when stans overidentify with an actor and project their own feelings onto them, that they are always underserved by SLs, by the co-stars, by the writers, by everybody. Even if there's something to it, it gets blown out of proportion, cause it's more about the stan's feelings than  the actor usually. Being a moderate stan atm, I have my moments of more passionate convictions about this or that about Chris for instance, but the extremes in his fandom, the Klaine fandom - not to speak of the CC tinhatters - can be unreasonable or downright scary.. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2

It's in a way odder /creepier with twitterer, Instagram, other social media , because these fans can hide behind anonymous cyber entities and do their stuff 24/7.

I just am amazed that for the most part most of the Glee cast handled things fairly well all things considered, I wouldnt have stepped outside my door.

The sad thing is the real fringe loco element of a Glee fandom, even if their activity diminishes, probably won't ever completely go away.

(edited)

"Fans " convinced Chris Colfer and Darren Criss are real life lovers hiding it until Darren decides to come out publicly. His GF Mia is a beard and Chris BF Will is his assistant. They see 'signs" of their love affair everywhere. ( I swear they claim one one or the other is in a photo taking pictures, can be seen in the shadows, etc)

While fans imagining co stars are together as an item is nothing new ( they happened to be right about Lea and Cory as it was) it was even more awkward in this case because as a young relatively rare " out" celebrity actor, Chris was being paired with his straight co star. It wasn't something he could joke about, as would, for example two straight guys like Matt Damon/ Ben Affleck or the Supernatural guys.

They go ballistic when Chris and Darren are shown with their actual Love interests in photos, events, etc.

Dot's wife has gotten recently a lot of hate because she posted photos of Chris boyfriend Will.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

What amuses me about the Darren's girlfriend is his beard thing is I remember seeing an interview awhile back with Darren and he stated that he and his girlfriend have been together since sophomore year of college, which means long before he had any kind of fame. So this woman, for whatever reason, has decided to just be a beard for a guy since she was in college?

That said, real life shipping is sadly very prevalent in fandoms and is pretty crazy all the time. Oh No They Didn't livejournal always provides me with the stories. The most legendary is Jensen Ackles and Jared Padelecki, stars of Supernatural. There are people who have been convinced of these guys' super secret amazing love since the show has been on - that means for 10 years. And they have held onto it through marriage for both guys and now kids for both guys. 

I found out about a group of people who firmly believe Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are still together and supposedly married with a child. And that Robert and FKA (his current girlfriend) is a fake relationship that's really a business deal that Rob and Kristen have with FKA to make her a music star because they're invested in her as a an artist. I'm seriously not kidding you.

It was also why I was actually waiting for the Chris and Adam Lambert shipping when Adam joined the show, especially with how many who loathe Blaine, who was shipping Kurt and Elliot. I especially anticipated it because Adam Lambert himself has had his share of crazy shipping. Like Chris, he had people who hated his real life boyfriend and were convinced the guy was a beard and that Adam was really dating his bass player who for reasons unknown could not be publicly out. The funniest thing I've discovered about these things is that just change the names but the theories and stories are all the same.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Ah yeah, I came across them on Instagram. Becca posted a picture at the AHS premiere and Darren's girlfriend had her arms around him. There were people in the comments livid because she dared to touch him. Their level of delusion was scary. 

What amuses me about the Darren's girlfriend is his beard thing is I remember seeing an interview awhile back with Darren and he stated that he and his girlfriend have been together since sophomore year of college, which means long before he had any kind of fame. So this woman, for whatever reason, has decided to just be a beard for a guy since she was in college?

Or why would Darren have a beard? It would hardly ruin his career if people thought he was gay. 

Not to nitpick but Mia and Darren did not meet until long after he finished college.

He said in a Billboard interview that Glee was his longest tenure with anything ever in his life, longer than college, any job, apartment or even any relationship had lasted. He seemed to have become official with Mia shortly after he had first appeared on Glee.

The Achele shippers were honking the same horn for a while. I even saw some say, after Cory died, that's why Dianna wasn't in the memorial episode, so it wouldn't be so obvious that Cory had only been a beard for Lea. Crazies be crazies.

It's a pretty small segment of fandom though. I think the only fandom I can think of where that kind of real life shipping reached bigger proportions was J2 in the Supernatural fandom (which has died down, but not died out, since they both married and had children).

(edited)

Yea, crazy is crazy.

Like I mentioned before the Supernatural guys were actually good friends in RL apparently, hung out together, etc and would joke about how those shipper delusions.

Chris Colfer was unfortunately in a very awkward position, there was no template for an out actor being paired with his straight co star with whom he had been linked in an onscreen romance that exploded in popularity. It didn't help that he even got wind of some of the flack from the perceived ' inappropriate' predatory gay criticisms of the SL involving Finn/Kurt on Glee. People are stupid in that they don't ' get' that Chris couldn't play or joke around the concept like his straight co stars and fellow actors could and would. Case in pont: Heather and Naya having fun with the whole Brittana thing and even pushing it.

So this awkward shipping of real life Klaine which Chris studiously avoided " feeding" is shown as proof that because Chris never embraced it, he's less receptive and cold with fans. It doesn't help that Chris doesn't seem to need or relish the " celebrity" aspect of his profession. It doesn't also help ( and it's not Darrens fault, it's just his personality ) that Darren seems to enjoy celebrity much more and did play around a bit with Klaine fans. It just was a perfect storm where Chris basically said " fuck this" and refused to engage.

As mentioned, Darren could ( and did) played around with it a little at the beginning but they both have now completely shut down, even avoiding pictures together just the two because of the crazies. Darren finally acknowledged in the last interviews that they can't even go out in public as friends.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1