Type keyword(s) to search

Thunderdome: Glee fandoms

caracas1914

Sue did.

Yeah imo seemed likely deleastreet would not be much  becasue really 3 or 4 pictures was hardly much PR .   Early info is almost always over scrutinized/speculated on and hardly ever comes to fruition.

Edited by tom87
Sue did.

True, i was going to qualify if as far as other students, but yea, Sue had the largest role she's ever had on the show.

Other than Rachel and Sue, all the other characters didn't really have a SL.  Well Brittana, but as far as Regulars left on the show.

All the couples did at one point or another.  No they never got to involve but who wants to watch 20 minutes of a couple going back and forth about some issue.

I honestly never got the Sam/Nurse Penny shipping.  More than even with Rachel Sam was a flat out Finn replacement in that story.  So much so that the first episode Penny was on it was completely obvious they took lines written for Finn and had Sam say them.  Two scenes in particular stand out - Sam confronting Sue and Sam talking about his bad dancing.  No doubt Sam sucks as a dancer (he is even worse than Finn) but the show never acknowledged that until  that episode where they had Sam saying lines clearly written for Finn.  Now of course the show acknowledges it all of the time - yet another way Sam is written as Finn lite.  They want to make a joke about someone who dances badly - Sam it is.

As for Sam/Mercedes in season 5, I thought they were handled pretty well and I still say they had the best written virginity storyline of the series.  For once Glee addressed that issue with some balance and class.   

Amber is in large part responsible for how the virginity SL came out, she put her foot down about Mercedes's beliefs the way Chris did about Kurt needing  to make the decision himself in Prom Queen, and the results are obvious. The actors are the best guardians of their characters not only on this show, but especially on this show, cause the writers don't care.

Rachel probably both married and pregnant with the glorious Jesse St. James makes me wonder how much loco weed the writers consume in their writing room.  I mean, what use  was Samchel if Sam is so emphatically out of Rachel's life in the future , where after fucking him until the cows come out Rachel tosses him aside for Broadway and a hotter, more talented and ambitious partner.

Samcedes was the only pairing where it seemed the woman liked Sam for Sam, but of course the writers piss on that , and the Sam fans found it "inexplicable" and so lacking in any chemistry.  Same fans who wet their panties and soiled their boxer shorts over the scintillating Sam/Nurse Penny union that confirmed Sam is mentally challenged.

Well plus sized black women should know their place.

When you think about it, they were the only couple to actually talk through some of their issues,  for example the Chris penned episode talked about the responsibilities of living together.  However the Sam fans I guess were blinded by the fantasies that he would have the bulk of the SL focus with Rachel this year, and in a way they were right.  Being her disposable fuck buddy did give him a few duets, which I suppose is all they really wanted for him.   They'd rather gnaw off their right arm then have him paired with Mercedes.

I think Chris's episode was one of the best for Sam, as well as Samcedes. But to this very day some Sam stans, and especially Samchel stans are furious with Mercedes for allegedly treating Sam like a child and telling him to give the dog back, conveniently blanking on the whole conversation about the dog. I guess she can't have an opinion on what goes on in her house and how couples decisions are taken lol. But that's par for the course Mercedes bashing from them.  

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yea the episode showed Sam irresponsible in not even remembering in paying utility bills and yet Mercedes questioning the real responsibility of taking care of a pet , the effrontery and gall of Mercedes.

Samchel stans are furious with Mercedes for allegedly treating Sam like a child and telling him to give the dog back

And yet they ship the Bram with the cereal on the floor and the getting married before the Mayan Apocalypse, because that SL didn't show Sam as a child...(rolling eyeballs)

Edited by caracas1914

Well Finchel talked about seating arrangements.

You know they did more than that. :)

That was such a odd scene though.  I mean I guess it was suppose to show him having second thoughts.  Also every time I see those type of chairs I think of that scene.

Naya also championed Santana being in love with Brittany (even if you don't like Brittana, having a lesbian up in there is good).

I just wish the writers would throw a scenario at the actors and let them improv. I'd be so much more entertained.

I also don't get the complaints about Mercedes. Yes, he needs to grow up, and Samcedes Sam is the least stupid of the bunch, and mostly likable. Bram and Samchel Sam is...ugh.

So it not like they dumb him down any more.

He said he thought NYADA was a school for witches. I know it's just a lame joke, but stuff like that makes me think he's a blithering idiot. Like everyone else around the table behaved like fairly mature young adults, and the writers have Sam saying stupid shit. 

IMO, they dumbed him down majorly.

Edited by grandemocha

He said he thought NYADA was a school for witches. I know it's just a lame joke, but stuff like that makes me think he's a blithering idiot. Like everyone else around the table behaved like fairly mature young adults, and the writers have Sam saying stupid shit.

IMO, they dumbed him down majorly.

I felt like he just got...gross. Like when he initially said no to Rachel's date in HL, not hypnotized, he said something about her butt while telling her no. Who the hell does that? Answer: someone I have no desire to spent time with. And his whole "Are you still a virgin?" Thing with Mercedes. Uuuuugh.

• Love 1

Sam was  fine with Rachel the hypnotism aside which was Sue fault.  So it not like they dumb him down any more.  If anything they mature him some.

Really I don't think sniffing jock straps. thinking NYADA is a school for witches. or that Carmen "cut" Blaine literally with a knife to get his blood to "make potions" screams of not dumbing him down too much. This is Glee and Sam will always be used at their expense to say the dumbest things. 

Sam was already saying stupid stuff like that and would probably sniff jock stripes. I meant in comparison to when they dumbed him down for Brittany.

I think  when interacting directly with just Rachel when not being hypnotize he was coming off relatively fine.  He was  encouraging and still aware she was going to being leaving.   Grant it is a pretty small sample size but in Transitions and the the bed room scene or getting her to practice the piano for instance he was ok.

But on the flip side like in the last episode he was there to be the one to set her straight which is annoying too.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

Sam was already saying stupid stuff like that and would probably sniff jock stripes. I meant in comparison to when they dumbed him down for Brittany.

I think  when interacting directly with just Rachel when not being hypnotize he was coming off relatively fine.  He was  encouraging and still aware she was going to being leaving.   Grant it is a pretty small sample size but in Transitions and the the bed room scene or getting her to practice the piano for instance he was ok.

But on the flip side like in the last episode he was there to be the one to set her straight which is annoying too.

I agree, I don't think the writers dumb him down in Samchel. They just used him as the male Brittany, someone who will say some really dumb crap at times, but at other times be smart and mature. Sam is basically the character the writers use to make dumb jokes, I hated it with Brittany and I hate it with him but in comedy, there is always going to be a character like this. 

• Love 1

Regardless of Samchel I do not think Samcedes would have gotten much if any storyline this season anyway.     Probably would have had a Mike/Tina type conversation or Tina/Artie type conversation at most.

I think becasue of the Rachel factor they indirectly got more than they would have. 

I'm one of those fans who like quality screen time over quantity screen-time.

So I would have actually preferred that the only time we saw Mercedes was in the episode in which she told Sam to go heal Rachel's hurt. After that, she could have come back for "2009" and the final episode. I would have been okay with that, instead of the writers putting her in all those episodes to hold Rachel's hands.I actually hate it because every time I see her, I'm wondering wtf is she doing in Lima when she have an album out that needs promotion. She's my fav character and I actually dislike seeing her in those episode because it makes no sense for her to be there.

I'm happy Amber is getting her paycheck by having a regular status on the show but I wished she only had 4 episodes or have the writers use her like they use Artie. They don't have a story for him and they keep off-screen as a result. I hate it because it shouldn't be this way but since it is, I prefer not to see her in useless props positions. 

As a former Sam fan, I am fine with Samcedes being endgame. When Sam's with Mercedes, he becomes the guy I really liked in season 2 and season 3, before he became stupid beyond belief and increasingly dumbed down for Brittany's story. Sam used to be an intelligent, intuitive guy, much like Finn had been in the early seasons. Then, they felt like Brittany and Sam HAD to become a couple and his character just got trashed. I would even say that it was when they fired Chord, or Chord quitting or whatever, that his character slowly started burning downhill until season 4, when he just plummeted at alarming speeds. 

But Sam with Mercedes brings him back to his old self, and that's why I ship them. Mercedes doesn't treat Sam like a child, nor does he act like a child. They mature together and they become an actually likeable couple. I never was in love with them, but I first felt chemistry during their Human Nature duet and I could get behind them being endgame. I just miss the Sam that had me like him in the first place, the guy who didn't judge others, supported his friends no matter what (remember when he was actually friends with Kurt and sacrificed his popularity to be his friend?) and had some great advice to give. 

I don't know what Samchel fans see in this couple, because it's just clear that Sam's being used as a male prop yet again. They just throw Sam with all the girls and it's actually sickening at this point. It actually demoralizes Sam's character. No matter how much his character has gone downhill, he doesn't deserve this treatment of being a prop. He's been with every single original (pre-season 4 at least) Glee girl and has even had his stupid Blam story (which, I feel they threw together just to please Sam's initial audience who thought he would be with Kurt, which I'll admit I had been a part of for season 2). Sam's purpose since season 4 has been in benefit of other characters, not his own. But when he;s with Mercedes, he becomes his own character and that's why I like them.

I would like to know why anti Samcedes fans don't like them together...besides the possibility of them being kind of racist, which I'm sure most of them aren't. I think for Sam fans, Mercedes is the best possible choice because he isn't treated like shit by the writers. I never actually ended up watching Chris' episode, mostly because I had stopped watching the show a few episodes before that (and I will go back to watch the episode eventually) but from what I hear, that was Sam's best episode since season 3. 

• Love 2
I don't get what was Darren thinking trying to audition for a football player. I know people audition for anything at least to try get themselves noticed, but this was quite an unrealistic choice.

From what I read after I found out he auditioned it was more to get himself in front of the casting agent.  Darren seems to easily accept he wasn't right at all for the part of Finn.  Unfortunately his craziest stans (which are a small minority) don't.  Apparently when the info that he auditioned for Finn came out in season 3, some of those crazies complained in several social media platforms. including Cory's accounts, that it was a travesty that Cory was cast as Finn and not Darren because Darren was just so much more talented, etc.  

Edited by camussie

Speaking of auditioning for Finn, funny enough, Adam Lambert (Starchild/Elliot) also auditioned for that role before he later did Idol and broke out that way. But funny enough, according to him, he was told he was too old by the casting agents which was interesting because he and Cory were exactly the same age. I'm thinking the casting agent probably meant he looked too old. 

From what I read after I found out he auditioned it was more to get himself in front of the casting agent.  Darren seems to easily accept he wasn't right at all for the part of Finn.

I was thinking more about why he didn't go for other parts, like Chris went for Artie, but specifically for Finn which was clearly out of bounds. Glee is a show tailor-made for a singer-actor, so I don't know why he'd overshoot like that; he seemed pretty interested to get on it, and kept trying until he hit the jackpot. 

I was thinking more about why he didn't go for other parts, like Chris went for Artie, but specifically for Finn which was clearly out of bounds. Glee is a show tailor-made for a singer-actor, so I don't know why he'd overshoot like that; he seemed pretty interested to get on it, and kept trying until he hit the jackpot. 

Wanted to be the lead?

I just assumed actors got out on  alot of auditions, starting out, paying their dues so to speak.  and the "hope" something about them attracts the casting agent even if they don't match the role to a tee.

Aaron Tveit also auditioned for Finn, wanting to transition to a bigger screen role, and was apparently a big contender until A) Tveit realized it would conflict too much with his Broadway commitments and he turned down the screen-test* or B) Glee decided he was too polished for the diamond-in-the-rough role of Finn. 

*This is Tveit's telling, but it just seems weird to me that he wouldn't think of the time commitment before going for the lead role.  

Funnily enough Darren just talked about this at PaleyFest. He said his audition for Glee was his very first official professional audition. It was right before he started his senior year at University of Michigan. I can see why he went even if he knew he wasn't a fit. I would imagine even getting in to get an audition is very hard, so if you get a shot you take it. Maybe they'll see you and change what they want for the character. Maybe they'll be so blown away they'll make up a whole new character (kind of like they did for Chris with Kurt). Or if nothing else maybe they will remember you for something else down the line. I think that is how he got back in to read for Blaine. 

• Love 2

Aaron Tveit also auditioned for Finn, wanting to transition to a bigger screen role, and was apparently a big contender until A) Tveit realized it would conflict too much with his Broadway commitments and he turned down the screen-test* or B) Glee decided he was too polished for the diamond-in-the-rough role of Finn. 

I don't know Tveit could be telling the truth, I mean an audition it just going for a job. Lots of people go for jobs then realise it's not for them.

He did end up in a show that's just a summer show.

The role of Finn required far more auditions to cast than any other. Cory was much bigger and older than Darren, but his intuitive brilliance made Finn a teenager, while early Blaine seemed like an undercover narc.

The role of Finn required far more auditions to cast than any other. Cory was much bigger and older than Darren, but his intuitive brilliance made Finn a teenager, while early Blaine seemed like an undercover narc.

I'm gonna answer this in the Breadstix thread.

I actually wonder where they would have gone with the Mercedes character if Naya had been cast rather than Amber. I suspect that character would be completely different.

I think everything worked out the way it should have, but it's interesting to think about how much different characters and the show would be with different people playing different parts.

From what I read after I found out he auditioned it was more to get himself in front of the casting agent. Darren seems to easily accept he wasn't right at all for the part of Finn. Unfortunately his craziest stans (which are a small minority) don't. Apparently when the info that he auditioned for Finn came out in season 3, some of those crazies complained in several social media platforms. including Cory's accounts, that it was a travesty that Cory was cast as Finn and not Darren because Darren was just so much more talented, etc.

But then there'd be no Klaine. Or at least not as it is now. Whether that's good or not, I don't know, but yeah, Darren wasn't right for Finn at all. I think out of the almost Finn's we've talked about, they cast the right person (although I would've had no objections to having Aaron or Adam on or on more).

Aaron is a triple threat who can easily keep up with Lea and Matt, he would've been interesting as Finn.  I'm not sure if he could have brought what Cory brought, Cory gave Finn a sensitivity and vulnerability that carried the character through all the stupid decisions and less-than-enlightened moments.  If Jonathan Groff hadn't been available, Aaron as Jesse St. James (the Season 1 turncoat) would have been brilliant.  It wouldn't have the chemistry that St. Berry has now, but then, I think that the role would have been a one-and-done arc with any actor other than Groff.

• Love 2

Aaron Tveit - in a behind the scenes video somewhere Ryan said he didn't want Finn to be a magazine type/model not to long after they showed a clip of Aaron audition. (if I remember right).

Not really, Sara!  I actually wasn't too keen on his Enjolras, either acting or singing.  I have liked him in other roles, though.  I do think that if Aaron had been cast as Finn, we'd have gotten much more of the All-American Golden Boy.  Perfect looks, charisma, voice - his Finn would definitely make sense as Quinn's trophy boyfriend, but transitioning from that would take more effort.  Cory's Finn didn't so much transition, as the layers were there from the beginning and were gradually revealed more and more.  Cory had a sweetness and earnestness.  Aaron has the easy self-assurance for Jesse or Sebastian Smythe, if either of those two actors hadn't been available.

• Love 2

Funnily enough Darren just talked about this at PaleyFest. He said his audition for Glee was his very first official professional audition. It was right before he started his senior year at University of Michigan. I can see why he went even if he knew he wasn't a fit. I would imagine even getting in to get an audition is very hard, so if you get a shot you take it. 

Exactly. Actors go for auditions for a variety of reasons. First of all to get a specific part, obviously.

But also on the off chance that there might be another role fitting them in the same production, or as you say elsewhere in your post that the part might get tinkered with. Or, and that seems to have been the motivation for DC trying out for Finn, to get exposure in the profession so that their face and voice become known to casting people; the latter may think of them down the line when a suitable part pops up in another production. If actors do it often enough, casting directors can come to know and remember them as a familiar personality. Also, the audition process is not an easy one; attending many of them, even for parts you know you are not made for, helps build experience and confidence in how to deal with the process and how to present yourself.

Actors often go for parts even though they are not a good fit, as DC said was the case for him and Finn, because you never know.

Edited by Florinaldo

From what I remember of his early interviews, he went on quite a few auditions during his time in high school. He said the problem wasn't that he was good, but that he was told he was 'too good' for Disney shows or Nick or whatever. He just didn't fit with what they were looking for to cast those sorts of shows.

• Love 1

Dates they were hired..

Lea - Sept 2 -  first

Matt - after Lea but before Sept 5

Chris,Jenna,Kevin - Sept 11

Amber ?

Cory - ?

Mark/Naya  ?

Dianna - Oct 10 - last

Glee pilot began to film Oct 11, 2008

Edited by tom87

As a former Sam fan, I am fine with Samcedes being endgame. When Sam's with Mercedes, he becomes the guy I really liked in season 2 and season 3, before he became stupid beyond belief and increasingly dumbed down for Brittany's story. Sam used to be an intelligent, intuitive guy, much like Finn had been in the early seasons. Then, they felt like Brittany and Sam HAD to become a couple and his character just got trashed. I would even say that it was when they fired Chord, or Chord quitting or whatever, that his character slowly started burning downhill until season 4, when he just plummeted at alarming speeds. 

But Sam with Mercedes brings him back to his old self, and that's why I ship them. Mercedes doesn't treat Sam like a child, nor does he act like a child. They mature together and they become an actually likeable couple. I never was in love with them, but I first felt chemistry during their Human Nature duet and I could get behind them being endgame. I just miss the Sam that had me like him in the first place, the guy who didn't judge others, supported his friends no matter what (remember when he was actually friends with Kurt and sacrificed his popularity to be his friend?) and had some great advice to give. 

I don't know what Samchel fans see in this couple, because it's just clear that Sam's being used as a male prop yet again. They just throw Sam with all the girls and it's actually sickening at this point. It actually demoralizes Sam's character. No matter how much his character has gone downhill, he doesn't deserve this treatment of being a prop. He's been with every single original (pre-season 4 at least) Glee girl and has even had his stupid Blam story (which, I feel they threw together just to please Sam's initial audience who thought he would be with Kurt, which I'll admit I had been a part of for season 2). Sam's purpose since season 4 has been in benefit of other characters, not his own. But when he;s with Mercedes, he becomes his own character and that's why I like them.

I would like to know why anti Samcedes fans don't like them together...besides the possibility of them being kind of racist, which I'm sure most of them aren't. I think for Sam fans, Mercedes is the best possible choice because he isn't treated like shit by the writers. I never actually ended up watching Chris' episode, mostly because I had stopped watching the show a few episodes before that (and I will go back to watch the episode eventually) but from what I hear, that was Sam's best episode since season 3. 

Wow reading some of the tweets and things folks are posting in another forum ALL of this is Mercedes fault. Hell she is getting blamed for shit that happened 2 seasons ago. IDK well that's not completely true, I do know why some of them dislikes her so much. But from everything that was shown and written by these stupid writers this season Mercedes was just a prop like Sam to push Rachel along. Yet they are NOT mad at Sam, they really aren't mad at Rachel, they are LIVID at Mercedes because they think (nothing confirmed) but they are REALLY losing their shit at the POSSIBILITY of Sam and Mercedes ending the series together.

They are going back and dragging up the dog, her saying she dumped him twice to Marley, ALL kinds of nonsense I'm actually getting quite a good laugh and also a bit concerned/scared about the mentality of some people who get to wrapped up in fictional characters. I honestly believe some folks will probably need to be watched closely on Friday night a few might need some medical attention.

Any way just had to get this out here because ALL the not so stable are losing their minds and the episode hasn't even aired yet!

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 1

but they are REALLY losing their shit at the POSSIBILITY of Sam and Mercedes ending the series together.

I am not losing my shit because glee is a joke and has been for a while so whatever. But I strongly dislike the thought of Samcedes ending up together simply because Mercedes deserves better!

Sam was okay in s2 but they have dumbed him down more and more ever since and he was insuffrable in s4+5. He may be slightly less annoying with Mercedes but that's not enough to make me ship them.

I love Mercedes and all I ever wanted was for her to be happy and more visible. If we aren't gonna get a closure storyline for her then I prefer simply being told she is successfully living it up with her music and maybe some off screen boyfriend.

I don't need to see her end up with Sam who's dream it is to stay in Lima and coach football. Not that there is anything wrong with that but it doesn't seem to fit with Mercedes and I don't want to see her ending compromised just so poor Sammy won't end up alone.

• Love 1

I tiptoed into that tiny niche corner of fandom that is the Glee Intelligentsia to see how the finale went down and learned that Ryan Murphy remained a prescient, maligned genius who spoke to the depths of their highly educated souls and farted rainbows to the end.

• Love 4
(edited)
I tiptoed into that tiny niche corner of fandom that is the Glee Intelligentsia to see how the finale went down and learned that Ryan Murphy remained a prescient, maligned genius who spoke to the depths of their highly educated souls and farted rainbows to the end.

It like they try to paint a masterpiece with stubs of crayons.

One other forum is also fascinating.   Apparently all the buzz/media attention/article and focus of Glee as it's ending that revisits the first season, the iconic characters such as Kurt, etc and what Glee meant in it's heyday, combined with  the total absolute fucking silence or mention of  Season 4 and the Noob/Blee/Blam extravanganza hasn't deterred them from bemoaning the loss of Season 4 Noobs and their beloved Blee/Blam. 

Mind you, it's OK to like what you like, but to willfully ignore  that S4 was clearly not deemed a success by any standards per the media, ratings, critics, itunes sales and the frigging show itself including by their  own actions RIB is sort of awe inspiring.    Most of them are still in shock that the greatest Glee season ever,   S4 (it had pretty colors! It had Blam! Nice  Marley was  so much better than Rachel!)  is  not idolized, when not bemoaning 24/7  Mercedes as not suitable enough for Sam.

It's like an alternate  universe where the Blam of Glee was it's heart and soul and the acolytes just preach to each others sobbing what might have been of a glorious BLAMTINA and Noob Season 6.

Edited by caracas1914

I don't think Blam was the problem in Season 4, it was like..the only redeeming part of the Season. Between the four minutes per episode of NY and the boring less talented newbies rehashing the exact same storylines as the previous seasons..Blam was at least something different. They've got a good friend chemistry. And they have a tendency to not show either of the characters worst traits when they are together. 

They would have been fine as a background relationship but together as the lead characters they seemed to devolve into a caricature of " bro-hood".

Plus it didn't help to pair up two of your IMO relatively weaker actors with too similar laid back personalities. At least not as your lead characters.

• Love 2

I agree in that a bromance can't be all Lima had going for it. But as a storyline, it was..like I said..about the only thing Season 4 had going for it. 

I think Chord and Darren were going to quite obviously be the lead actors in the Lima group, as they should be (just considering popularity.) But one major problem was that..this was all Lima had. Tina and Artie weren't really that popular, and Tina wasn't going to be able to fill the female void. They were good as the background characters in the first three seasons. And the new characters weren't too great either to fill the void. 

There needed to be more interesting characters..or perhaps more of the main cast to not graduate..(like say, Santana..).

(edited)

I agree that Darren was popular and it was no shocker he was going to be one of the lead characters in McKinley when all the older leads were gone.

But Chord?   The Powers to be certainly liked him enough to  elevate him to a leading character status in Season 4.  but I never saw any evidence  that he was particularly popular, his itune sales were never that strong, Sam  didn't have many compelling SL's even prior to Season 4 other than the boyfriend of one of the girls.  It spoke volumes that he was in essence fired at the beginning of Season  three because he hadn't become a breakout star  (in comparison to Darren).  Even at the end of Season 3 he was  a  peripheral  character at best, overshadowed by most of the regular cast.  I liked him at the end of Season 3 because he seemed a nice guy who had a   balanced perspective due to his homeless status, in contrast to everyone else who seemed middle class and a bit entitled.

Chord  benefited enormously  from being the last white  enabled male  regular on the show as  choir member for S4, but again, his popularity was suspect as far as meriting his rise in status.  Even the premise  that he was more "popular" than Kevin, could be, but there didn't seem to be any clear cut evidence as far as I could see.   Overall he seemed to be a relatively poor ITUNE seller.

For example, he had one of the most beautiful Beatles songs, "Something": as his solo at the beginning of Season 5 and yet he couldn't even crack the top 1500 as as ITUNE sales. 

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1