Type keyword(s) to search

Thunderdome: Glee fandoms

caracas1914

(edited)

Right. But like phoenixrising said, when you use LGBTQ representation as a reason why Klaine are so important, and then in the same breath criticize Brittana by calling them unimportant or a result of Brad having a fetish (yes, I've really read that several times, which, what even?), it becomes even more problematic than regular shipper wars.  

It was even more plainly obvious when Klaine broke up and Adam came on the show, when the shippers could no longer use the ~representation argument, since it was still two gay characters.  Then, they went back to the "but Klaine are so important TOGETHER". 

The Klaine fandom has been especially nasty to Brittana shippers this past season, I think because they felt threatened and angry that Brittana got a happy S6 arc, while Klaine got a shitty one, so they're using any kind of argument they can to validate their ship, since it was practically ruined in canon. Most of the reasonable, sane Klaine shippers left fandom sometime around Season 4, I think. 

I agree that it is problematic. Because they decided to play with the legitimate issue of representation to rationalise and make it into a contest. I've seen it done by Klainers, Brittana, and the other LGBT+ shipppers, taking turns depending on the fate of their ships at the hands of the producers at one time or another -- that's why I think it's shipper wars at the very bottom of it. Otherwise they could've kept their anger. etc. focused only on the writers (who create the mess anyway). 

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

I can only speak for myself, but I never saw any Brittana shippers crowing about representation wrt seeing a gay wedding on tv, because yeah it's important, generally speaking, but in terms of milestones, it's been done before. Brittana shippers complaining about Klaine getting married were aimed at how Klaine encroached on Brittana's ~big day, how the spotlight would have to be shared, and how it made no sense. I never saw anyone saying "Yay this lesbian wedding is SO important! Boo Klaine!"  Probably because lesbian/bi shippers tend to ship lesbian/bi ships, and we've all seen practically every f/f ship recorded in television history. Or, at the very least, we keep up with the happenings. So a wedding, while wonderful from a shipping standpoint, isn't a huge deal in the scope of today's television, other than it being just another example of the importance of representation, speaking generally. Lately, we tend to be less concerned about being represented on tv, and more concerned about if the queer lady character will actually make it to the end of the series alive and well, and if she does, will she even end up with a woman.

Edited by Ceeg
  • Love 2
(edited)

So if I understand correctly, you're saying that Brittana shippers just fight back, only ever in response to attacks by the Klainers (or others), and never initiated anything themselves? Just to make it clear because I haven't followed everything. 

The wedding got both groups majorly ticked off for reasons of their own, and it did produce some nasty fights, I saw that. In my opinion, when the anger or alternatively, the self-congratulatory patting on the back for representation, is directed at the other shippers, it's misplaced because it's not the shipper groups who write the show and take the decisions -- it's the writers' call. 

Edited by fakeempress

So if I understand correctly, you're saying that Brittana shippers just fight back, only ever in response to attacks by the Klainers (or others), and never initiated anything themselves? Just to make it clear because I haven't followed everything. 

No. I'm saying that I haven't seen any Brittana shippers talk about how important Brittana is for television for gay representation and WE ARE SO IMPORTANT and in the same breath say Klaine sucks. Brittana shippers are more likely to say, "look at these bbs they are so cute, they are in love, they are perfect, and also lol Klaine sucks". 

I think there's a clear difference there. JMO though, only based on what I've seen.

Have you tried The Fosters? I think they do lesbian wives better than Glee ever even imagined. 

I watched the first season and a half, but ugh I can't with the Callie/Brandon BS so I quit.

• Love 1

Just to clarify, I think ALL ship wars are stupid. But, they're to be expected in literally every fandom out there. Especially with shows aimed at teenage viewers. I think it becomes overly annoying, though, when people try to pretend they care about gay representation while hurling homophobic insults at the lesbian ship, or writing the lesbian ship off as something unimportant. Like, just say you love your ship the most, and you're into two guys being in love, and you aren't into the two girls. That's fine. I can respect that, and it all comes down to preference. Just, don't use minority representation while shitting on a subset of that minority to fluff up your ship. You know?

• Love 3
(edited)
Which fair enough, but  the so called Lesbian fans of Klaine who seem to loathe Brittana or don't care a whit about Lesbian representation on Glee at all,  that seem more like cyber pseuduolesbians,not that there's anything wrong with that.

Okay, I think that the Klaine fandom is ridiculous, and I think that m/m fandom is often guilty of sexism/misogyny in how they treat female characters, but there are reasons that some lesbians primarily ship slash, and I'm uncomfortable with policing their identity and implying that they must be making it up. One reason I've heard from lesbians-who-ship-slash is that m/m is more divorced from their own reality, which they prefer. They don't want to deal with the messiness of something that hits too close to home. The same holds true for some straight girls who ship slash. (I'm not saying that there aren't straight girls who fetishize gay male couples in the same way that a lot of straight guys fetishize lesbian couples.)

And, well, what gets your motor running IRL isn't always synonymous with what gets your motor running in fandom. I think we can criticize Klaine fandom without calling people pseudolesbians. It's not like we don't have enough fodder.

But yeah, I too am annoyed with people who conflate their ship with some bigger fight for LGBT visibility/representation when it's clear that they only give a fuck about their one ship. And if another LGBT ship sets sail, they'll bend over backwards to explain why it's not as "valid" as their OTP in terms of visibility. It's not unique to Glee, I've seen it happen with shows like Once Upon a Time, Teen Wolf, Star Trek, and the Sherlock Holmes canon, too.

That is why I watch on dvr and skip the stupid, but the moms are adorable.

I'm getting tired of how they fight all the time, though. I know, I know, it's realistic for married couples to fight, but Lena and Stef need to chill. Mostly Stef. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 3
(edited)

Ryan  even wrote it in dialogue of his alter ego in "Near Normal", smugly knowing what he wrote in a script (of the TV "Sing" aka Glee)  would elicit fan tears.

Haha I thought it was hilarious, rude by funny.

tumblr_ma7y11Nksj1qapg62o1_250.giftumblr_ma7y11Nksj1qapg62o2_250.gif

Edited by tom87

God, the New Normal. I will always remember the Fake Quinn on that show complaining about lines being out of character, and Nene going off at her about it. If that's why things are strained between Dianna and Ryan, I'm totally on her side, especially with Quinn.

• Love 2

Meta is way overused but found that funny cause of how serious people (me included sometimes) take everything.  

Maybe this is me taking it too seriously, but I always find the meta on Glee overly annoying, not just because it's overdone, but because RIB want to take credit for being a TV show that changes/saves lives at some times, and throw it away as "just a silly TV show" at others. If you're going to acknowledge your mistakes, fix them. Otherwise you are just pointing out your failings.

• Love 4

I think they're convinced the meta is hilarious when they're really pointing at the giant zit on their nose. Yeah, we see it. Why do you think it's cute? Buy some gel/cream/whatever they sell on late night tv and do something about it. Don't make me watch you pop that thing.

• Love 2

I rarely find Glee's meta to be funny or clever.  To me, it's almost always mean and insulting.  They're constantly thumbing their noses at their audience when they should be grateful that they still have any audience left to watch.

• Love 5

The reason why I don't find it funny when Ryan likes to make fun of his viewers is because he's trying to have his cake and eat it too. He wants to talk about how important Glee is, how many lives it changed, how many kids watched it, how it helped people become more accepting, how people identified with Santana or Kurt, how it was just SO life changing. And then, he also makes fun of his audience for being over-invested. Like, what do you expect? You can't claim that Glee has literally changed people's lives, and then tell those people to get a life when they get upset over plot developments.

• Love 9

I remember listening to an Ian interview during the back half of season 4, and he said something along the lines of how they used to get credit for the meta, but they didn't anymore and he didn't understand why. So the idea that the audience does not understand the RIB genius is somewhat legit.

• Love 1
(edited)

I found it appalling they used an entire other show to take pot shots at the Glee audience and worse yet some of the actors/characters on Glee.  Matt got the worst of it on "The New Normal" but they took shots at Dianna/Quinn and Cory/Finn as well.  No matter what anybody says about it being all happy happy behind the scenes that alone tells me there had to be some tensions.

The only people who seemed to love that crud was the writer stans.  Well them and the people who had issues with the characters/actors RM was taking pot shots at.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

So they know, but they kept doubling down and down and down again. They knew it wasn't working anymore, but suck it anyway, you will eat the sand and love it or we all find out a .6 in the demo is how low we can actually go. 

• Love 1

I'm not a fan of the meta jokes, either. Sometimes, they're kind of funny, but ultimately the majority of them are cruel, harsh and unnecessary, even in the early seasons. It's why I'm not a big fan of Santana. Her character, along with Sue, gets the majority of the meta 'jokes' and I can't stand it. It's definitely frustrating to hear the actors getting mocked on the show. I feel like Cory/Finn got so much of the meta jokes since early season 2, to the point where I was legitimately concerned for Cory himself. Lea got the nose 'jokes', Chris got all the 'gay' jokes and Amber got that stupid tater tots episode. I didn't find any of those things funny, and the meta-ness definitely got worse as soon as Ryan realized how his show was tanking. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm not sure I'd really classify personal insults about actors' appearances as meta. Meta is more about a show being self-referential, or breaking the 4th wall. The whole Rachel Berry Show thing and the bad ratings was meta. The "angry lesbian bloggers" mad about the Brittana breakup was meta. The whole deal with the school (aka FOX) not letting Brittana kiss while Finchel make out was meta. I think I would even call things that happened to the actors in real life and also on the show meta (like Naya's/Santana's boob job or her Snix nickname, Chris/Kurt being mistaken for a woman on the phone, etc). Or things that the viewers say that somehow get written into the script is meta (like Tina wanting a solo, or making fun of Will's rapping, or Sue being the voice of the Klaine fandom). But calling Finn fat or Kurt gay or Mercedes a tater-tot lover isn't really meta. It's just mean-spirited. 

At least, that's my personal definition of what meta is. There's kind of a blurry line, though. Community is a show that does meta really well. Glee, not so much.

Edited by Ceeg
  • Love 3

Just saw the scariest video ever. Reaction video to RISE where young women where actually crying over the song.

I wonder if they were mainly crying because Sue was gone for a few seconds.

I still do not remember what it sounds like.

• Love 1

I strongly disagree.  See above. First Bram and then Samchel ruined Samcedes for me.

I think this should go here because what I have to say is about a fandom thing. What you said about them ruining Samcedes for you? That is exactly how I feel! I was wondering if I was crazy to feel that way and was wondering if anyone else had ever felt like that? Not about Samcedes per say, because I know they have a kind of limited fandom, but maybe some other pairing in the show (Finchel/Klaine/Brittana/Wemma, etc.)? Like you really enjoyed it, were into, hung on through some crazy stuff and then they did something that was just a bridge too far, an you were like, "I don't even want this anymore". That is how Glee has me feeling about Samcedes.

I really liked them when they started out. I thought they were cute. They were a different kind of pairing and I was interested to see where things went. When that whole Chord thing happened between Seasons 2 and 3 and I was a little bummed mainly because I knew that meant we wouldn't get to see what was going on with Samcedes (Like why were they all secretive about dating at the end of Season 2? Did Kurt pick up on the fact that they were both blatantly lying when they said they just happened to run into each other that time at the Lima Bean? Cause Kurt is pretty perceptive and I was looking forward to him totally calling Mercedes out on that.) And I was bummed because Mercede was one of the only kids left that hadn't really had any sort of romantic interest. Then when Season 3 started they stuck her with Shane, I guess so they could say she still had something, but there was no story and he was boring as hell. So when Chord came back and they had Sam set out to try and win Mercedes back I was into it. Honestly I thought they might just forget about it and have him try and get back Quinn or something. They didn't seem to know what to do with her after she went crazy and tried to steal Beth. But nope they went all in on the Mercedes/Sam thing.  

Then Season 4 came along and.....nothing. No break-up. No discussion, just nothing. All of the sudden Sam had always wanted to be with Brittany and they dumbed Sam down to barely functioning levels. Look, Sam was never going to be a member of Mensa, but the Sam that joined Glee in Season 2 and then came back in Season 3 was not in need of a map to help him find the auditorium. Anyway they never even mentioned Samcedes in Season 4. Even when Mercedes came back to visit you wouldn't have even known that they knew each other. So I assumed the show was done with them and I was disappointed but hey, it's Glee. (shrug).

Then we get all the way to the last half of Season 5 when the show is trying to reboot itself, yet again, and all of the sudden it is all Samcedes all the time. And they went at it hard. They had serious conversations (race/sex/faith/career/future), they lived together. They had some really, really nice moments. I wasn't even all that upset when they had them break up at the end of Season 5. Mainly because it was handled well. They didn't come up with some bullshit reasons to be mad at each other or to try and hold on to each other. They reaffirmed that they loved each other, but their lives were in different places right now and that was ok. And of course there was the sex issue. Sam wasn't used to being in a relationship without sex and Mercedes wasn't ready. Both perfectly valid views and feelings. I liked that no one made anyone feel guilty or less than about their feelings. There was no shaming on either of their parts. And my girl Mercedes (now along with Mike) was one of the only of these dang fool kids to shut down any marriage talk.

So I was good at the end of Season 5 on the Samcedes front. I fully expected them to have Sam start dating again.  I actually thought he would start the season with someone. I wasn't even sure how much we would see of Mercedes in Season 6. But this Rachel business? Has left an awful taste in my mouth. I won't bore you (again) with all of the reasons I had a problem with Sam/Rachel dating. I will just say that their relationship and the way that the show has handled it has basically ruined Samcedes for me. I can't really enjoy those nice Season 5 scenes now because they seem like a bunch of bullshit now. (I know, I know most of this show is bullshit). Those lovely Rachel and Mercedes scenes? Where they talk about relationships and sex and first times and being in love, etc. (I really, really liked those scenes). Can't enjoy them anymore cause I don't believe that Mercedes would have been ok with Rachel dating Sam and certainly would not have been pushing them together and I don't believe that Rachel would have even considered it. 

So as much as I originally wanted Mercedes and Sam to be endgame, if it were to happen now it would feel icky to me. Like Mercedes would be getting Rachel's left overs. Rachel got what she needed from him ( a good lay we hope) and now that she is through with him Mercedes can have him. He's not good enough for Rachel, but he's good enough for Mercedes. And I guess since Sam was in need of a good lay too, now that he's got his fill, he can settle for Mercedes and wait until shes ready to get married? So yes, Glee has basically ruined something for me that I originally wanted. Has anyone else ever felt like that?

• Love 3

Spiritof76, I feel the exact same way about Samcedes. For a while, I felt that way about Brittana, until season 5 and they wrote Brittany decently again. I really liked early day Klaine, and by season 3, I was just bored of them. So, with Glee, all the time.

I was indifferent to Samcedes before but now I am actually interested if they do get together or not.  

Not sure how it could be Rachel leftovers considering Sam is eveyones left overs and I think if they reconnect years from now that both Mercedes and Sam would have even more dates between them.

It is probably sappy but the whole they love each other but are just not in the same place  mentally works for me. 

It just seems like Sam is every girl's "seconds" on the show and that Mercedes should be with a new guy who respects her and doesn't go around with all her girlfriends.

Even with these shitty fictional characters Mercedes deserves better than Sam, since all the Glee forum tweeters thought Samcedes was the worse thing possible. I mean they were fine with Brittany on her Hands and knees picking up cereal from Sam but Samcedes was the wrong " chemistry". At this point RIB might as well cater to them.

Honestly, I'm torn on Samcedes. On one hand, Sam is such a dumb, bland bleeehhh and I don't want Mercedes stuck with him for life. On the other, it would be really nice to see racist asshole tears in fandom from the people who think Sam should only end up with a skinny white girl.

• Love 8
On the other, it would be really nice to see racist asshole tears in fandom from the people who think Sam should only end up with a skinny white girl.

Dang it, hadn't thought of that.

Go Samcedes!!

• Love 5

I still like the idea of Samcedes because I think usually the writers do a better job of making Sam less dumb when he's with Mercedes. With a couple exceptions. But in general I thought the bulk if the storyline in season 5 was handled pretty well by both characters.

But if they both end up single and happy, I'm good. I feel like they'll get an ambiguous but hopeful ending.

• Love 1

On the other, it would be really nice to see racist asshole tears in fandom from the people who think Sam should only end up with a skinny white girl.

See, now that just might push me back on the Samcedes ship, cause I could get with that.

It is probably sappy but the whole they love each other but are just not in the same place  mentally works for me.

I liked that aspect as well because it is true to life. (Did I just say something on Glee was true to life? Huh? First time for everything.) It happens. People connect, but they are just at different places in life. Sometimes those people find their way back to each other which is romantic. And of course both of them would have had relationships/significant others in the interim. That's part of the whole growing/maturing experience. I just don't like that Rachel was the person Sam decided to move on with. And then they want me to believe that Mercedes was not only ok with it, but was encouraging it? That's the part I'm going to have to just pretend never happened. Who am I kidding? If they put them together, I'll probably just do like all the other shippers and ignore whatever crap came before and be all, "Yeah endgame!"

But in general I thought the bulk if the storyline in season 5 was handled pretty well by both characters.

I really liked their Season 5 storyline. And I agree they tend to not write him as clueless as they did when he was with Brittany. 

Samcedes is the only couple I have ship on Glee, I loved them in S3 and after the way they were treated in S4, I didn't want them back or expected to get them back. So when S5b came around the writers put them back together, I was not all that invested in them, because I didn't trust Sam's feelings and I was disappointed that Mercedes wasn't going to get a new guy ( my dream since S2).  I couldn't buy the things Sam was saying to Mercedes because it just seems like a repeat of things he had said to other girls. The only reason I even gave them a chance again is because of Mercedes. Because while Sam words and feelings might not mean crap, I know that Mercedes means everything she said to him. So because of her, I gave Samcedes a chance. For the most part they were good, but I was still not invested in them.

Despite the stupid Samchel story, this season have actually make a believer out off me when it comes to believing that Sam have real feelings for Mercedes. If they end-up being endgame, I'll be okay with it. It will be better than watching all the characters with their SO, while Mercedes is the only one standing alone without a love interest on-screen.

Also, like some have said above, just for the fact that I know most of Sam fans will hate this ending for him, I want it. Because of the way they have acted and the things they have said in the past and in this season, I want to see them cry, lol.

• Love 1

Also, like some have said above, just for the fact that I know most of Sam fans will hate this ending for him, I want it. Because of the way they have acted and the things they have said in the past and in this season, I want to see them cry, lol.

If it wasn't evident before it is now that the majority of Samchel fans were Sam fans.  Some have been desperate to wave off Jesse.  First Jesse was just back for VA, then he was just Rachel co star, then the baby is explained away as a surrogate for Klaine and now even some trying to say Jesse will say he is gay. 

The one argument I hear often from some Sam fans is how Mercedes doesn't treat Sam right but I just have not seen that. She is actually very patient with him.  If the worse she does is only rolls  her eyes at some of his behavior than that is a plus.  I can't believe she didn't kick him to the curb when he was so embarrassing with her recording friends. 

Edited by tom87
(edited)

Rachel probably both married and pregnant with the glorious Jesse St. James makes me wonder how much loco weed the writers consume in their writing room.  I mean, what use  was Samchel if Sam is so emphatically out of Rachel's life in the future , where after fucking him until the cows come out Rachel tosses him aside for Broadway and a hotter, more talented and ambitious partner.

Samcedes was the only pairing where it seemed the woman liked Sam for Sam, but of course the writers piss on that , and the Sam fans found it "inexplicable" and so lacking in any chemistry.  Same fans who wet their panties and soiled their boxer shorts over the scintillating Sam/Nurse Penny union that confirmed Sam is mentally challenged.

The one argument I hear often from some Sam fans is how Mercedes doesn't treat Sam right

Well plus sized black women should know their place.

When you think about it, they were the only couple to actually talk through some of their issues,  for example the Chris penned episode talked about the responsibilities of living together.  However the Sam fans I guess were blinded by the fantasies that he would have the bulk of the SL focus with Rachel this year, and in a way they were right.  Being her disposable fuck buddy did give him a few duets, which I suppose is all they really wanted for him.   They'd rather gnaw off their right arm then have him paired with Mercedes.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

At least with Samcedes, Sam had a place as a character in his own right and not just a convenient plot point to service someone else's storyline. He's served his purpose for Rachel (and serviced her as well), so now he can be put aside for the more appropriate Jesse St. James and Rachel's life partner.

If I were a Sam fan, I would be royally pissed with this turn of events.

• Love 2

I honestly never got the Sam/Nurse Penny shipping.  More than even with Rachel Sam was a flat out Finn replacement in that story.  So much so that the first episode Penny was on it was completely obvious they took lines written for Finn and had Sam say them.  Two scenes in particular stand out - Sam confronting Sue and Sam talking about his bad dancing.  No doubt Sam sucks as a dancer (he is even worse than Finn) but the show never acknowledged that until  that episode where they had Sam saying lines clearly written for Finn.  Now of course the show acknowledges it all of the time - yet another way Sam is written as Finn lite.  They want to make a joke about someone who dances badly - Sam it is.

As for Sam/Mercedes in season 5, I thought they were handled pretty well and I still say they had the best written virginity storyline of the series.  For once Glee addressed that issue with some balance and class.   

Edited by camussie
As for Sam/Mercedes season 5 I thought they were handled pretty well and I still say they had the best written virginity storyline of the series.  For once handled that question with some actual class.   

IMO It was the most balanced of the all the pairings Sam had, with no ulterior motives.  So of course, some Sam fans hated it with intensity of a thousand suns....hmmm....

• Love 4

My main issue with Samcedes ending up together is that I think Mercedes deserves better than ending up with a guy who's claimed to have had...what 3? 4? soulmates? And Mercedes is one of my faves, so I'd like her to end up with a guy who hasn't declared 3 other ladies as the love of his life.

But again, bitter fandom tears from assholes makes me feel evil and happy. I'm still wtfing over a poster elsewhere saying that they want Sam with Quinn if he can't end up with Rachel. Be more obvious, please.

• Love 2

If it wasn't evident before it is now that the majority of Samchel fans were Sam fans.  Some have been desperate to wave off Jesse.  First Jesse was just back for VA, then he was just Rachel co star, then the baby is explained away as a surrogate for Klaine and now even some trying to say Jesse will say he is gay. 

I knew from the start that most of them were Sam fans but you are right, these past few days have really shown that. Some are even desperate to believe that the writers wouldn't dare disrespect Sam by ending Samchel when they spent a "season and half"  building them up. I don't know where they got that "season and half" crap but the fact that they believe  the end of Samchel would be disrespectful  to Sam but didn't say anything when the writers had Sue mess with him physically and emotionally in order to be with Rachel says a lot about them. 

• Love 1

If I were a Sam fan, I would be royally pissed with this turn of events.

As someone who loves Sam, I'm mad about this. But most of his other fans seems to be okay with the way season is turned out for him, minus the losing Rachel in the end part. Some actually say they don't have a problem with the fact the writers didn't spent anytime on Sam center storyline this season and that they only used him for Rachel. This  actually surprised me since most of them were whining and complaining loudly last season because the writers spent so little time on Sam's career. But I guess for them, anything and anyone is better for Sam, as long as it isn't Mercedes. 

Some are even desperate to believe that the writers wouldn't dare disrespect Sam by ending Samchel when they spent a "season and half"  building them up. I don't know where they got that "season and half" crap 

They all hold onto that one moment in the Billy Joel episode in S5, where Sam and Rachel danced together, and then Santana's reaction to it spoke for all of us.

HrU3CrD.gif

• Love 2

Regardless of Samchel I do not think Samcedes would have gotten much if any storyline this season anyway.     Probably would have had a Mike/Tina type conversation or Tina/Artie type conversation at most.

I think becasue of the Rachel factor they indirectly got more than they would have. 

Edited by tom87
I think becasue of the Rachel factor they indirectly got more than they would have. 

True..and  Glee hinted to them of the much vaunted "Daleastreet" when oddly enough, there was hardly any interaction between all three of them.

Sam got actually an OK number of screen time relative to anyone not named Rachel.  He had a part in the Spencer SL, a part in the Beistie transitioning and of course Samchel.  Other than Rachel, I don't think anyone other character got nearly half  as much.