Type keyword(s) to search

Thunderdome: Glee fandoms

caracas1914

There was a lot criticisms of Mercedes as a character that was veiled racism IMO.

In my opinion as well. But there are people who will argue you to death, that it was all in peoples heads or they were being too sensitive. But, I get it. If it is not something you are used to or know to look for, on the surface the comments would seem perfectly harmless. Which is why some people do it. It's acceptable. Now that doesn't mean that every person who has ever criticized Mercedes or Amber is some closet racist. Far from it. But, I guess what i'm saying is, it's complicated, as most things dealing with race are in the US. 

• Love 4
But, I guess what i'm saying is, it's complicated, as most things dealing with race are in the US.

Bingo.

The younger fans who think they don't have a racist bone in their body yet come off as blissfully unaware of their entitlements and at best, racially insensitive  are the most entertaining.

• Love 4

Bingo.

The younger fans who think they don't have a racist bone in their body yet come off as blissfully unaware of their entitlements and at best, racially insensitive are the most entertaining.

That could be levelled at the writers of this show too.

• Love 2

The younger fans who think they don't have a racist bone in their body yet come off as blissfully unaware of their entitlements and at best, racially insensitive  are the most entertaining.

And that was why I had to let Glee forum go, because bless their little hearts.......they just did not get it. And I am WAY, out of their demographic. 

(edited)
I would guess that a lot of the "criticism" of Mercedes is as much (if not more) to do with her size as her race, sad to say.

It all goes back to the sassy overweight black woman  trope who was lazy and obsessed with tater tots....

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 4

Klaine shippers:

The wank and intellectual posturing, "parralels", symbolisms, ect they Pull out of their asses is awe inspiring.

It's one thing to ship someone , or to have a guilty pleasure with a show that has derailed but you are still addicted to. However to pretend that the writers actually have given deep thoughts to obvious random, WTF plotlines is fascinating in a rubbernecking kind of way.

To These pseudolesbians, Ryan and company could literally crap in front of them and they'd scream " It all makes so much sense and has continuity with storyline A three years ago.."

Nothing wrong with that, free country and all. But to completely park your brain and mental faculties outside what you watch must be strangely liberating.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 4

It's one thing to ship someone , or to have a guilty pleasure with a show that has derailed but you are still addicted to. However to pretend that the writers actually have given deep thoughts to obvious random, WTF plotlines is fascinating in a rubbernecking kind of way.

They could be just honest about the guilty pleasure factor and how it gives them fodder for their R fics, so they just disregard all the crap the writers pull. No one wil blame them for it. But they can't turn this admission into an intellectually superior stance, so they spin this elaborate meta haze around every inane thing the writers pull, convince themselves it all makes so much sense, and congratulate each other on their superior insights. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

From the Darren thread:

But it goes further than that. Darren gets a ton outside of this forum. (Which I was including when saying that.) I would say Lea is a strong number 2. But, seriously..it's actually striking to me. I would have thought Naya, Lea, and Dianna would have been the target of that. Mostly because people tend to find confident beautiful women as unlikable. And Darren is just so...boy next doorish. LIke I said..I would have thought that he'd either have his fans or be irrelevant. Like Chord. He's not the type of person that is typically polarizing. So it's surprising to me that he is.

edit: Also, in terms of vitriol. I think Chris and Amber get..what can best be described as bigoted vitriol thrown at them. I mean, it's not striking to me, because it's unfortunately expected. But I think a lot of times the hate they get is because Chris is gay and Amber is a bigger black woman. Things that aren't obviously true of Lea and Darren.

Chord doesn't get the amount of hate that Darren does, because Chord doesn't have stans who will defend him until death and think he's anything more than he is, and call people who deign to criticize him ~vitriolic haters. Fandom will say Chord is bland or his voice isn't good or doesn't mesh with Lea's or Chord isn't leading man material, and then no one disagrees because either his fans know he's not THAT great and they love him despite it, or everyone agrees. But, criticize Darren and you get the wrath of his fangirls, who buy all his music and will see his terrible movies and think that he can convey every type of emotional subtly with one glance.

So, the Darren pushback in fandom is due, in part, to his loud fanbase, and his inability to back-up their praise of him and their inability to take any criticism. And then it becomes an endless circle of "Ugh Darren is not a good actor or singer, why is he on screen?", "YES HE IS I LOVE HIM, look at his heart eyes, he's so dreamy", "No, he sucks", "No he doesn't, you're a hater!". So it becomes this big overblown thing.

• Love 3

I think that can be said for many people and it can turn into a circular thing - sort of a chicken and an egg thing.  Which came first - the angry, over the top vitriol that made the fans extra defensive or were the fans over the top and that led to people being extra bitter and upped the vitriol. I'm sure all sides will say it's one or the other. That said, I don't buy that the hate Darren gets is based solely on his fandom. I think both sides - people who aren't fans and those who are fans of his, have voices that are extremely loud and take things to the extreme and do so regardless of the other.

I know for a fact, because I read it, there were hateful things being said about Darren and Blaine when the character first showed up by people still bitter Sam was not going to be the boyfriend because in true shipping fandom fashion, they'd already constructed whole storylines, fanfictions, etc. about Sam and Kurt based on just the rumors and the Duets episode. So they were furious that that guy came and ruined it. And then later there were the people who shipped Kurt and Karofsky. And in that same vein, Darren did come onto the show with some fans who loved him from his Starkid stuff and acted like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

But as I said in my first comment, you can say that about other people. I have seen PLENTY of defensive reactions to the mere suggestion of Chris Colfer not being absolutely perfect and some of his fans love to always come back with "he's won a Golden Globe, he's a best selling author..." As if to say those things mean any criticism of his performances or him as an actor is absurd and naturally those who aren't fans and don't think he's the best thing since sliced bread push back. Actually an interesting discussion started in the Lea's thread because of this. And speaking of Lea Michele. Some fans of hers take any criticism of Rachel as a criticism against her and throughout the years I've seen many times where any negative comment a performance of hers was followed by all she'd done on stage when she was younger, how accomplished she is, etc. And then people who hate her push back...

Again as I said, it's like the chicken and the egg. People can go around and around saying the haters started it or no, the crazy, fanatic fans started it but the fact is, many are guilty of the same thing they accuse others of in my opinion. Which if you think about it, is typical of fandoms. As I said in one of my first posts in this thread - fandom is often a breeding ground of hypocrisy. The same thing that one set of fans are judged for by people who aren't fans of said person, these same people are guilty of in relation to who they're a fan of. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

The difference, to me, is that Lea and Chris can actually back their talent up, on screen. And I don't stan for either of them, so I think I'm at least reasonably unbiased wrt both of them. Darren, however, IMO doesn't. Which is why, the post I quoted compared him to Chord, and I continued that comparison. He and Chord are very similar. Go read the episode discussions for every episode this season. They are almost universally critical of Sam/Chord. But, there is no Sam/Chord thread here defending his honor or calling the people who think he's not that talented "haters". Because IMO most of his fans agree or can at least somewhat recognize that Chord isn't actually the best or strongest actor and singer on this show, but they still love him or find him cute or charming or whatever. And I can respect that.

• Love 3
The difference, to me, is that Lea and Chris can actually back their talent up, on screen. And I don't stan for either of them, so I think I'm at least reasonably unbiased wrt both of them. Darren, however, IMO doesn't. Which is why, the post I quoted compared him to Chord, and I continued that comparison. He and Chord are very similar. Go read the episode discussions for every episode this season. They are almost universally critical of Sam/Chord. But, there is no Sam/Chord thread here defending his honor or calling the people who think he's not that talented "haters". Because IMO most of his fans agree or can at least somewhat recognize that Chord isn't actually the best or strongest actor and singer on this show, but they still love him or find him cute or charming or whatever. And I can respect that.

Oh okay...so it's acceptable with Chord because his fans seemingly accept the negative comments others make about him and embrace how obviously right and correct these comments are. So the problem is that Darren fans have the audacity to not accept the truth that others speak when they declare him an awful actor and mediocre singer and dare to disagree and challenge that. And it's fine for Chris and Lea's fans to disagree because the universal truth is that they're talented and so anyone saying or thinking otherwise could be challenged. Well okay then.

See I was always of the mind that ALL of this is opinion - period. No matter how certain one is of said opinion, it's still just that and not a fact. And so anyone has the right to disagree with it and challenge it as they so choose. Let me put it this way, I think Kristen Stewart is an awful actress. There is not one thing I have seen that girl in that I have been impressed with. I personally feel like she gets by on some lip-biting, pseudo-emo schtick that's annoying. And I feel like I have only ever seen one expression from her.

That being said, I'm not bothered or surprised by her fans who think she's amazing and who get defensive about her when they feel she's been attacked. I've seen some Kristen Stewart fans say that she's a better actress than Jennifer Lawrence but that Lawrence just has a better team behind her. I think that's laughable but I'm not going to act like it's wrong or ridiculous for them to feel that way or express it as fans of hers. Because the truth is, for as much as I think Kristen Stewart is awful, there are many who don't. Hell some critics thought she should have gotten more award attention for Still Alice. So my opinion of her and her talent or lack thereof is not some universal truth. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Isn't fan a derivitave of fanatic.

It's a circular argment becuase individual's decide which criticism is analysis and which is "hatred". My own dividing line is connecting criticism of their professional work with a character flaw. IE Lea's album sucked ergo she has is artistically lazy, Chris can't convey Kurt' acting well erego he's given up trying on Glee.

It's still as a "fan" I'm responding, of course, so again, it goes round and round and round.

And Truthaboutluv, Ceeg was specific that some response, not all , is due to fandom and their own weird reactions and adulation.

Oh okay...so it's acceptable with Chord because his fans seemingly accept the negative comments others make about him and embrace how obviously right and correct these comments are. So the problem is that Darren fans have the audacity to not accept the truth that others speak when they declare him an awful actor and mediocre singer and dare to disagree and challenge that. And it's fine for Chris and Lea's fans to disagree because the universal truth is that they're talented and so anyone saying or thinking otherwise could be challenged. Well okay then.

No, the person I was responding to asked why Darren gets more criticism than any of the others, especially when compared to Chord. And I gave the reasons why. Criticism of Darren just gets repeated over and over, because a lot of his stans can't handle it when people post dissenting opinions of him. Case in point, apparently those of us who think he's not that talented are "haters" and are not basing that opinion on his performances, and it's unfathomable that we form our views from anything other than a hateboner for the actor and character.

As I said before, I think part of the criticism of Darren is because of actual criticism of Darren and part of it is because a large portion of his fanbase is pretty much insufferable. 

See I was always of the mind that ALL of this is opinion - period. No matter how certain one is of said opinion, it's still just that and not a fact. And so anyone has the right to disagree with it and challenge it as they so choose. Let me put it this way, I think Kristen Stewart is an awful actress. There is not one thing I have seen that girl in that I have been impressed with. I personally feel like she gets by on some lip-biting, pseudo-emo schtick that's annoying. And I feel like I have only ever seen one expression from her.

Art is subjective, but only to a certain point. I think that there are levels of talent for any sort of art form, and it can be judged and qualified. Even the most amateur art critic will be able to tell the difference between a child's finger painting and something by Monet. Now, that child's mother might say "But little Timmy's piece is beautiful and my favorite and I'm hanging it on my wall". That's her opinion. But, that doesn't mean Timmy's painting actually IS better than the Monet.

Singing voices are even more cut and dry, as an art form. You can say someone has your "favorite voice" or a voice that you love. But at the end of the day, music critics can argue that one voice is better than another, technically speaking. Darren's voice is not versatile, and he has no natural vibrato, but he's able to make up for it with lively performance abilities. It's not wrong for fans of his to say they enjoy his voice best out of all the voices on Glee or he has their favorite voice. But when people argue that he has "the best voice" on the show, then that's just inaccurate, and becomes frustrating when people say "no he doesn't" and a fandom war starts.

As for KStew vs. JLaw, that comparison doesn't fly with me, because they've never been in direct competition with each other. Darren is in direct competition with Chris, Lea, Naya, Matt, Chord, etc. He's been on the show for 5 years, and Glee recycles plotlines all the time. And everyone sings. So, Darren hasn't really done any different material from anyone else on the show. And he's literally sharing the screen with these other actors who he's being compared to.

• Love 3

It will be interesting who remains fans of which actors after Glee ends. Sometimes it's hard to separate actor from character.

Those of us who've hung on 'till the bitter end of Glee because of an affinity for one of the actors or characters probably need a scandal of puppy-kicking proportions to let go.

• Love 1

From the Darren thread:

Chord doesn't get the amount of hate that Darren does, because Chord doesn't have stans who will defend him until death and think he's anything more than he is, and call people who deign to criticize him ~vitriolic haters. Fandom will say Chord is bland or his voice isn't good or doesn't mesh with Lea's or Chord isn't leading man material, and then no one disagrees because either his fans know he's not THAT great and they love him despite it, or everyone agrees. But, criticize Darren and you get the wrath of his fangirls, who buy all his music and will see his terrible movies and think that he can convey every type of emotional subtly with one glance.

So, the Darren pushback in fandom is due, in part, to his loud fanbase, and his inability to back-up their praise of him and their inability to take any criticism. And then it becomes an endless circle of "Ugh Darren is not a good actor or singer, why is he on screen?", "YES HE IS I LOVE HIM, look at his heart eyes, he's so dreamy", "No, he sucks", "No he doesn't, you're a hater!". So it becomes this big overblown thing.

I don't get this. Personally, if someone states an opinion I don't agree with, like for example calling Lea a bad singer, I'm going to disagree with it and say why. I don't know any fanbase that isn't like this and I don't see why they should be silent. Darren's fanbase isn't unique in this at all. People defend who they like and like it or not, there are no right or wrong opinions and everyone is free to state theirs.

• Love 1

Well I think that Dianna Agron is a good singer with the right selection.  If it was up to me she woudl have "stolen" more songs from others, but alas.

I do agree that the writers and Ryan did what they wanted to do.

Where I think the Glee fandom got pretty whacked out was that there was way too many singers/ ensemble cast to support the X number of storylines and songs per episode, so it was inevitable that fans got too sniping.

Naya's was a fascinating example, since in Season 3 she was thrust into the spotlight big time with both songs and storylines and then Season 4 she was shoved back to minor supporting player.  Which just goes to prove the Glee PTB did what they wanted to do. 

• Love 1

I don't get this. Personally, if someone states an opinion I don't agree with, like for example calling Lea a bad singer, I'm going to disagree with it and say why. I don't know any fanbase that isn't like this and I don't see why they should be silent. Darren's fanbase isn't unique in this at all. People defend who they like and like it or not, there are no right or wrong opinions and everyone is free to state theirs.

I feel like Sam generally elicits less. . .passion? Positive or negative. I don't think there's as many hardcore fans of his, or at least they're a quieter fandom. Likewise, I tend to see more hate towards Lea, Darren, Naya, etc. who I think just get a stronger reaction out of people. I think recently, he has been getting more hate that Darren, people the majority of Rachel fans seem to want him far, far away from her. 

I feel like Sam generally elicits less. . .passion? Positive or negative. I don't think there's as many hardcore fans of his, or at least they're a quieter fandom. Likewise, I tend to see more hate towards Lea, Darren, Naya, etc. who I think just get a stronger reaction out of people. I think recently, he has been getting more hate that Darren, people the majority of Rachel fans seem to want him far, far away from her. 

Also, Chord seems to love doing things to get negative reaction/attention from the fandom.  Heather even said in interview (IIRC), that Chord post stuff and say stuff on social media to get reaction from fans in order to amuse himself, lol. I think that is one of the reason his fans don't really defend him because they know that he is someone who likes to piss of fans for his own amusement. 

I can't speak for others, and of course my own experiences are not representative of the entire fandom, but whenever I criticize Darren or Blaine (not here, but mostly elsewhere like on tumblr) I get at least 10 (not an exaggeration) angry responses or comments, not seldom accompanied by foul language and even the occasional death threat, from some of his fans, telling me I'm a hater and demanding from me to shut up.

As I review songs and singers of Glee regularly and have been doing that for 4 years now, and therefore have criticized almost everyone of the cast at one time or another (although I admit I criticize some more than others simply because I don't think they're doing a good job as singers) I never have seen this response from any other fandom. Sure, there have been a few disagreeing comments from fans from other characters/actors every now and then, but those were incidents and for the most part they were civil.

But when it comes to Blaine/Darren multiple of these comments and quite hateful anon messages pop up every time I criticize him (Blaine for his canon actions and Darren for his singing or acting). It's gotten so far that I often hesitated if I wanted to even continu writing these reviews anymore for a while, as I mostly review Kurt songs which sadly often have Blaine in them: it sure took a lot of the fun out it for me. I even stopped posting completely on another forum because of this.

And I honestly don't get the same response from other characters/actors' fans wanting to defend their fave, not even from e.g. Rachel fans (who can be quite fanatic too, just like admittedly Kurt fans), even though she is in quite a few of Kurt songs as well and I'm not always praising her either.

I don't know why they stick out so much, but some of Blaine/Darren's fans do tend to want to shut up and/or insult anyone who says something even slightly negative about their favorite, or their ship for that matter, as some Klainers do the same (but they are probably the same people as the Blaine/Darren fans).

And you just have to look at Ryan's, Brad's and GleeonFox' twitter mentions to see how loud, rude and demanding these same fans can be, which is why it baffles me that the writers still cater to them so much.

(Just for the record: I'm for 99% talking about my experiences outside of this forum.)

• Love 2

I'm a Chord fan so I can speak a little bit about my experience when he gets bashed. To be honest, I mostly like Chord based on his personality off the show. He seems like a fun, down to earth guy. Plus he reminds me a lot of one of my best friends. This season Chord has especially gotten more negative feedback than before, or at the very least Sam has. I feel like sometimes I want to defend him but honestly I don't always do it for a few reasons: 1. I'm not going to change someone else's opinion and 2. I don't think he's the best actor or singer ever. With that said I do think he's nowhere near as bad as many here think but that's all so subjective anyways. I think for me it's just strange seeing him get any hate because as an actor and character he seems so harmless.

As for him trolling the fans, I don't blame him and I kind of think it's hilarious. He got sooooo much hate when they paired Sam with Brittany just because the writers used that for that stupid lesbian blogger meta crap and then he got more when they made Blam and now Samchel simply because fans of Brittana, Klaine, or Finchel were furious (and likely Samcedes fans also).

So anyways while I'll defend him every now and again I mostly don't always because while I think he's better than most give him credit for, I know there's no point in trying to change somebody's opinion. Also I just don't care enough hehe. I tend to like characters that aren't played by the strongest actors like Quinn and Puck too anyways.

One of the things about Glee is that as part of the fandom, you're sort of forced into bed with other characters/actors and hey, its par for the course as long as the show is still airing and in production.

It doesn't bother me because once the show is done, I doubt if I'll see as much  on my dashboard or look up any actors I'm not that particularly interested in.

For example, as a Kurt and yes, a Glee Viewer, to get spoilers I get  a lot of Darren Criss/Blaine stuff across my dashboard. Or like even in the Glee forum you have to wade through a lot of Blaine/Darren fans to get through any spoiler discussions.    Once Glee is over, hopefully the worst of the tin hatters who flood the Chris Colfer tags with photos/information about Darren Criss will peter  out, but to say that now as a Glee viewer  I can avoid mentions of him or his character  is silly.   Mind you, it doesn't mean I hate him  (I wish all the Glee actors good will after the series ends) but rather that all the actors for now are somewhat intertwined.  Especially Chris and Darren because of the Klaine SL. 

Heather, Darren, Chord, Dianna, are OK, but it's not as if I'm going to go out of my way when the series ends to follow their careers.  iF they do good suff or involved in a project that looks interesting, I don't mind looking them up.

A few months  from now I seriously doubt many of the fans who dislike Actor XYZ will bother to comment about them with Glee over, if some continue to do so, well that's another story.

Edited by caracas1914

Yes, it is par for the course that when actors are starring together, especially when they are in a relationship storyline, that you end up knowing way more about other actors than you wish to. It's inevitable.  For example I like Jon Groff as an actor and a person, and I really don't like Russell Tovey.  But because their storyline is a big one on Looking, my tumblr fills up with scenes and info that I really would block except that then I'm also blocking Groff. So I just have to bear it until Looking is done or Tovey leaves the series, whichever comes first.

When Glee is done the actors I'm most likely to interested in as to where their careers go are: Lea, Matt, Jayma, Chris, Harry, Amber, and Naya. 

Edited by Casual Viewing
  • Love 1

Exactly.

That's why I don't get that making  comments about actors/characters in a show you follow is being overly invested in someone you don't "care about".  If you care about a show or other actors the good and bad is always discussed.

"The Good Wife" is one of my favorite shows and there are a couple of characters on the show I cannot  stand, commenting on that doesn't make me over invested in them as characters, rather it's talking about someone who impacts the show and characters I do like.

• Love 2

Yes, it is par for the course that when actors are starring together, especially when they are in a relationship storyline, that you end up knowing way more about other actors than you wish to. It's inevitable.  For example I like Jon Groff as an actor and a person, and I really don't like Russell Tovey.  But because their storyline is a big one on Looking, my tumblr fills up with scenes and info that I really would block except that then I'm also blocking Groff. So I just have to bear it until Looking is done or Tovey leaves the series, whichever comes first.

When Glee is done the actors I'm most likely to interested in as to where their careers go are: Lea, Matt, Jayma, Chris, Harry, Amber, and Naya. 

*gasps in horror* ;) I loves me some Russell Tovey. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what Jenna, Harry, Becca, Jacob, Melissa, Blake, and Dianna do. Hell if I watch a violent gangster movie for Harry god knows what I'll watch because Jenna's in it. 

I'm not sure about Amber and Lea. 

I know this is bad but part of my is wondering what Naya will do because I think there might be a trainwreck up ahead. 

I know this is bad but part of my is wondering what Naya will do because I think there might be a trainwreck up ahead.

She has a recurring role on  a Lifetime series already booked up and it appears that "The View" likes her enough that she will be a guest host some more in the future.

Naya, if the demographics of the audience is truly shifting, is someone who I can see having a good career TBH.

I'm just hoping she gets over her Khardasian phase, can't stand the "look".  LOL.

Edited by caracas1914

She has a recurring role on  a Lifetime series already booked up and it appears that "The View" likes her enough that she will be a guest host some more in the future.

Naya, if the demographics of the audience is truly shifting, is someone who I can see having a good career TBH.

I think that's true too. 

Is Devious Maids on Lifetime?

Is Devious Maids on Lifetime?

I believe so.  And while some may not like the "stereotype" of the Latina maid, I think  Naya  would have a blast with a potentially well written character.   Or at least a character with some focus.

The way posters over at GF are twisted themselves inside and out in order to show how much Mercedes doesn't deserves Sam. How Sam ending-up with Mercedes is a faith worst than death for Sam. How Sam ending-up with Quinn would be more realistic than Sam ending-up with Mercedes is so damn hilarious. 

I'm seriously shock but I guess, anyone but the fat black girl is good to them. But they will swear up and down, that not wanting Sam with Mercedes have nothing do with her color or weight. 

Personally, I think Sam would be the luckiest guy in the world to end-up with Mercedes Jones. 

• Love 3

The Sam fan  for the most part liked Sam with Rachel becasue it would get him screen  and song time and it did.   Now  that, that is near the end they want him with someone they think will worship him.  

Edited by tom87
The Sam fan  for the most part liked Sam with Rachel becasue it would get him screen  and song time and it did.   Now  that, that is near the end they want him with someone they think will worship him.

Well he actually got a lot of focus in the Samcedes SL of Glee NY last year.

Sure , whoever is with Rachel gets SL focus but let's not mince words, their antipathy for Samcedes was pretty blatant in the GF.  Somehow it became as how the "chemistry" was so off in Samcedes whereas Sam with dumb as shit Nurse Penny was squee worthy, as was Brittany, Rachel, etc.    AS long as Sam fucked  white women they was happy, and if Samchel wasn't endgame, they didn't give a shit, because, once again, as long as Sam was fucking....

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 4

Well he actually got a lot of focus in the Samcedes SL of Glee NY last year.

Sure , whoever is with Rachel gets SL focus but let's not mince words, their antipathy for Samcedes was pretty blatant in the GF.   AS long as Sam fucked  white women they was happy, and if Samchel wasn't endgame, they didn't give a shit, because, once again, as long as Sam was fucking....

I don't doubt that and nothing I said implied differently.  I was just saying why  I thought some were gung ho for Rachel.    And Sam didn't  get to sing much last year while with Mercedes but did while with Rachel which is kind of a twist.

Edited by tom87

I don't disagree, but my point was they would have shipped any white female with Sam over Mercedes, even if Sam didn't get more songs to sing, screentime, etc.   Thus why they had no problem with NursePenny, Brittany, etc, etc. 

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

Some Sam/Rachel shippers' equivocations elsewhere (tumblr mostly) remind me of those Sam/Blaine shippers who insisted during the Blam queerbaiting arc they aren't shipping but just "here for the friendship". They didn't hide their resentment of Kurt and thoughts he wasn't hot enough for Blaine, or wasn't worshipping him nearly enough for their taste. 

Edited by fakeempress

I don't disagree, but my point was they would have shipped any white female with Sam over Mercedes, even if Sam didn't get more songs to sing, screentime, etc.   Thus why they had no problem with NursePenny, Brittany, etc, etc. 

Yeah, I think they used that as an excuse and to act like, them not wanting Sam with Mercedes have nothing to do with her race or weight.  The fact that they trended "Respect Sam" because the writers were going to put him with Mercedes last season. But were happy with the way the writers wrote him this season in order to put him with Rachel, said it all to me. 

Yeah, I think they used that as an excuse and to act like, them not wanting Sam with Mercedes have nothing to do with her race or weight.  The fact that they trended "Respect Sam" because the writers were going to put him with Mercedes last season. But were happy with the way the writers wrote him this season in order to put him with Rachel, said it all to me. 

So according to them Sue hypnotising Sam repeatedly, and Mercedes telling him point blank to go date Rachel is "respecting" Sam ? 

So according to them Sue hypnotising Sam repeatedly, and Mercedes telling him point blank to go date Rachel is "respecting" Sam ?

Yet one of their premises was that Samcedes was so so  badly written and didn't do service to the characters, but the Samchel obviously gives credit to the legendary chemistry.  Hypnotism, that's the ticket!

According to them, Sue hypnotizing Sam repeatedly to go after Rachel was the writers way of building up Samchel. 

As for Mercedes telling Sam to date Rachel according to them:

After the episode: It showed the reason Sam loved Mercedes so much. Why he was having a hard time letting go of Mercedes despite how much he wanted Rachel. How perfect Rachel was for him. It was the writers showing that Mercedes and Sam are great as friends, while Sam and Rachel are perfect together and better pairing than Sam ever had.

Now: Mercedes telling Sam to date Rachel shows how much Mercedes doesn't love Sam. It shows that Mercedes doesn't deserve Sam. That Mercedes is the worst gf Sam has ever had. 

So according to them, putting Sam back with Quinn at the end would be more realistic than putting him back with the woman he kept saying he was in love with and showed he really wanted to be with through out this season. 

• Love 1

So according to them, putting Sam back with Quinn at the end would be more realistic than putting him back with the woman he kept saying he was in love with and showed he really wanted to be with through out this season.

According to them he's better with a girl who cheated on him, and blatantly loves someone else than a woman who loves him and has always done what she thought was best for him, including walking away and encouraging him to date her friend.

• Love 2

Samchel getting drunk would be have been far better than Mercedes being their number 1 cheerleader and Sam replacing Finn as the most important person from Rachel's high school experience.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

How are other minority characters treated on the glee forum? Seems like it Mercedes taking most of the heat because she dared to date a white man.

Also, Mercedes is the only character who constantly and contentiously challenged the idea that Rachel Berry was the most talented person in the Glee Club. She is the only one who acknowledged Rachel's talent but never acted or claimed that Rachel was more talented than her.  This also caused people to hate her because she never accepted that Rachel Berry was a "Special Snowflake' until she was no longer in direct competition with Rachel. 

• Love 3

According to them he's better with a girl who cheated on him, and blatantly loves someone else than a woman who loves him and has always done what she thought was best for him, including walking away and encouraging him to date her friend.

That woman is white and fit their idea of beauty, so yeah. 

• Love 1

Can't Sam be the one person who ends the series single? That seems like it would be progress for him. He's jumped from one to the next his entire time on the show. Generally the only thing they have had going for them in terms of seeming a match for Sam has been being currently single. Blaine's safely married off so they don't need a girl to prove he's not into his gay BFF anymore. Let the guy go forth and figure out what he wants beyond single and conveniently located.

I'll admit I liked him with Mercedes back in the prom days more than with almost anybody else he dated, but it fizzled for me later and I don't need to see them revisit that or any of his other relationships. If anybody needs some time to be single and assess what he really wants from a relationship, it's Sam. I'm not even a fan of his, but I'd cheer for that. I'm surprised his fans want him with any of the girls who tossed him over for various reasons. He always seemed too blandly nice for any of them.

• Love 1

Far be it for Glee to give the lesson that a plus size woman can have a relationship with a White straight male who his tweener fans think is "hot".

Considering that the show had Sam ambivalent with himself re: body image, one would think they would see a SL where Sam could see beyond that with Mercedes as personal growth and character for him, but since a plus sized black woman didn't fit their tweener fantasy,  (whereas Nurse Penny, Quinn, Rachel, even Blaine and Brittanny did ) we got all those rationalizations why Samcedes was the most toxic and chemistry free pairing ever on Glee.

They would have shipped neckbrace Cheerio/Sam over Samcedes.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2