Type keyword(s) to search

Thunderdome: Glee fandoms

caracas1914

I suspect in Season 4 Chord got some of Blaine/Darren's fandom on board by association when he got paired with him in Blam -- especially the part of that fandom who weren't enamoured in Klaine and / or Kurt, and were pissed off by the cheating SL. Sam telling Blaine he's a good guy and wiping off his tears = instant good graces in the eyes  of that fandom. I don't think they were into Chord's singing per se, they liked the Blam duets of course, because Darren was on them. Also, they (or at least part of them) got on the queerbaiting crush train. I think that may account for the impression that Sam / Chord became more popular, not his song sales.

• Love 1

Obviously a lot of it is subjective favoritism but to me s4 Lima felt like a bunch of supporting characters pretending to be leads.

Most of the remaining original glee kids had never had an ongoing storyline (aside from being somebody's love interest maybe). Single episode plots yes, but none of them were compelling enough to capture the audience for longer than 45 minutes. And sure, Darren/Blaine was popular but did he ever contribute more than being part of Klaine or act as a jukebox? Was his characer in itself ever really compelling to anybody but teenage fangirls?

Most of the new generation, including Blaine and Sam also never really fit the "underdog" staus imo. In s1 every kid in the choir room had some kind of issue that made them need the sanctuary of the glee club. Some more than others but they all needed glee in some way which is what made the threat of glee club ending at the end of s1 so compelling. We knew these kids had something to loose.

In s4 that wasn't the case at all. In fact when they did disband glee club for an episode, the kids just switched to different after school activities and hung out nontheless. They didn't seem all that bothered by it. The show lost every ounce of significance surrounding glee club because of one note characters and weak acting. Consequently lots of the storylines and performances fell flat.

Edited by knaxx
  • Love 1
I suspect in Season 4 Chord got some of Blaine/Darren's fandom on board by association when he got paired with him in Blam -- especially the part of that fandom who weren't enamoured in Klaine and / or Kurt, and were pissed off by the cheating SL.

But again, that seems more the Darren fans than any one else.

Chord was always a "pair the spare" character, and in Season 4 it was so obvious that he and Darren were paired up by default.

Once the show went to NY, Klaine took over for the most part and they couldn't justify keeping BLAM as a viable lead relationship, and by Season 6 they needed  a while male character as a romantic hookup for Rachel.   So Sam was a reliable  utility hitter for whatever character needed servicing  (a reason I suspect RIB found him useful) but it's not as if he drove any SL's  or seemed a compelling character on his own.

They needed a new Glee "teacher" to take over,  Voila, it's Sam.   No compelli9ng reason for it, since he seemed not to take much interest in the Glee choir for most of the year but again reliable fill in character where we need him.

My goodness, they haven't even put him (for now) on the cover of the Glee DVD

• Love 1

Right. He's not really a compelling singer..good for duets because he can take the harmony and his voice won't out due the actual star. But Chord is good looking. He played the sweet gullible role well. He had a comedic presence. (Not really a musical one.) He seemed to be a well liked character. 

But you have highlighted one of the bigger problems with those two, actually. They were both props for storylines for their entire time at Glee, so even though Darren/Blaine was a popular character, his personality was completely morphed around Kurt and that relationship. He had no character motivation or goals. He had no background. And then he had a personality flip. 

Sam was just a prop as well, used for whatever was needed. So if they were going to be leads themselves, RIB really needed to take the time to flesh out the characters. Of course they didn't. Blaine ended up with all of Rachel's personality flaws..except he got everything he wanted and we never knew anything else about him. Sam became a cross between Brittany and Finn. Because RIB needed to stick to the same character palettes. 

But, IMO, the characters personalities worked well in the bromance storyline. (Probably because it was more Darren and Chord goofing off than actual acting.)  They didn't need to go there with Blaine having a crush. But it was one of the more organic friendship stories the show has had. Especially considering for most of the other friendships (except for Mercedes and Kurt) the characters went from hating each other to being bffs. (Kurt/Rachel, Mercedes/Rachel, Santana/Rachel....not that I didn't love those friendships when they happened..but I would have loved to have seen the characters grow into them.) 

Edited by mercfan3

I agree in that a bromance can't be all Lima had going for it. But as a storyline, it was..like I said..about the only thing Season 4 had going for it. 

I think Chord and Darren were going to quite obviously be the lead actors in the Lima group, as they should be (just considering popularity.) But one major problem was that..this was all Lima had. Tina and Artie weren't really that popular, and Tina wasn't going to be able to fill the female void. They were good as the background characters in the first three seasons. And the new characters weren't too great either to fill the void. 

There needed to be more interesting characters..or perhaps more of the main cast to not graduate..(like say, Santana..).

Granted that Jenna is not a very good actress, but she can sing very well and therefore could have at least been the vocal female lead of season 4. And Kevin is imo a better actor than Chord and Darren, so if TPTB had dared (and looked beyond their straight male jock fetish) Artie could have been the male lead of ND in season 4. Artie being in a wheelchair but still leading the show choir and wanting to go to wheelchair-unfriendly New York after graduation could have been interesting to explore in storylines. More interesting than some of the things we got, like puppets and action hero costumes.

Tina and Artie may have been background characters in the first 3 seasons, but they were still there from the start, and viewers connected to them in that first season. They may not have been as popular as Blaine or Sam (although I think Sam was not that popular), but they were faces and characters people already knew and rooted for. Among the new ND of season 4 they were the actual underdogs (together with Unique) who's stories to acceptance and succes Glee claimed to tell.

If the writers had added some more interesting new characters (instead of the bland 2.0 versions we got) to that mix, and had kept Blam as comic relief supportive characters, it might have worked imo. But it was clear that the writers never were interested in writing for real minorities (unless they're LGBTQ) like WOC or someone with a physical handicap.

It annoyed me that the writer wrote Artie off automatically at the beginning of Season 4 as not wanting to be the "new Rachel" but just content to choose the new one.

It still bugs me that they dismissed his ambition to be a dancer in season one. There's a freakin' competitive sport before called WHEELCHAIR DANCING!

• Love 1

It's really a shame though, because the end of season 3 had Tina propped to be the lead female for when everyone else left (by Rachel, no less!). So I think it could have worked out, with Tina/Artie or Tina/Blaine to be the leads, maybe to have the newbies coming in and vying for the lead spots. That would have been better than Tina immediately being pushed to the side, and then brought back in a 'main' storyline with Blaine (which was the creepiest storyline ever, and that's saying something). I may not have been the biggest Tina fan, but I think she deserved her chances at solos and she should have absolutely gotten them in season 4. Artie, I did like on and off and I enjoy Kevin very much, and I do think he had potential to get more solos. I loved when Artie got solos in season 1, or even just lead vocals. I remember he used to duet with Rachel all the time in group songs for the first two seasons and their voices really meshed together well, so I'm disappointed that he got dropped like a hot potato later on.

Chord and Darren may have been more popular, but they definitely could have still had their bromance story without getting all the solos/duets in season 4/5. 

• Love 1

I don't think Blam was the problem in Season 4, it was like..the only redeeming part of the Season.

Completely disagree. It was one of the many problems of season 4 (that continued into season 5) with little to no redeeming value whatsoever IMO. And then they had to make Blaine crush on Sam, like it wasn't bad enough. Some characters may be popular as supporting characters, but it doesn't mean they should be leads (I'm looking at you, too, Brittany). Of course, maybe if the two narratives were more of an even split, the sucky Lima leads and noobie storylines wouldn't have been as grating and off-putting. Oh well. Shoulda, coulda, woulda...
  • Love 3

Chord was popular enough that a lot of people were upset when he wasn't given a full contract after Season 2.  

I think what man people (mainly Fox and RIB) underestimated was the adoration the fans had for glee club as a group. One of my absolute favorite things about the first season is that I can watch some choir room scenes 20 times and I will still find a new thing to laugh about every single time.

I absolutely LOVED Harry's background reaction faces not to mention his dance moves! Would I have wanted to get 5 episodes every season with Mike Chang front and center? No. But he was part of the group and he brought something to the ensemble and without him I would have missed something. Same goes for Artie, Tina and in s2 Sam.

But just because I would have missed their absence and rallied to keep them on the show had they been fired, doesn't mean I wanted to see them front and center.

Completely disagree. It was one of the many problems of season 4 (that continued into season 5) with little to no redeeming value whatsoever IMO.

I agree. I admit I missed some episodes in s4 but did either Sam or Blaine have a single storline that carried any sort of weight? The only thing I seem to remember is how they dressed up as superheroes, ran for president, sang songs together, humiliated Tina... Silly plots of the week but nothing like a year long arc about applying to college, no real personal struggles, no giant roadblocks (unless you count the Klaine break up). It was all pointless, silly and random.

Compare that to Rachels and Kurts struggle to get into NYADA in s3 that drove pretty much all of their side plots like the musical, president run, drive to win Nationals... Or to Santana's coming out story ranging from s2 to 3. Or to Finn's struggle to figure out what he wants to do while everybody around him had a purpose. Or even to Quinns (I can't belive I'm using her as an example!) storyine of being confronted with Beth and then eventually turning her life around and finally focusing on her future instead of her past. I could keep going but the point is those were storylines that made me care about the characters and the show.

Edited by knaxx
  • Love 4

Yes, Knaxx, it was all about the group for me. They really should've just kept it in a timeless universe where high school never ended.

But, on the other hand, you can tell there were characters they were just totally done with (Quinn and Puck). So maybe it was good they couldn't ruin those characters after the graduation.

I also agree, and think I said the problem with Blam was that their entire characters were silliness. Hell, BRITTANY had a part in Santana's coming out and her pain of not being able to date Santana. If they can give a character that's supposed to be totally silly something with emotional weight (and even if you don't like her or think she pulled it off there was something written for it), why didn't they do it with Blam? They gave emotional stuff to the 2.0s, but it also never stuck long enough for me to care (I'm looking at Marley's eating disorder and talks of molestation).

• Love 1
I also agree, and think I said the problem with Blam was that their entire characters were silliness.

And that I believe was one of the biggest problems in Season 4, along with the myriad of other issues. That is, the weird tonal shift between McKinley and New York. Yes the Glee Club characters had always been a little over the top (I mean some of Brittany and even Finn's stupidity, Rachel sending people off to crack houses) but I don't remember them ever being really goofy and yet that's the tone the writers seemed to take with the New New Directions.

Blaine and Sam seemed to regress age-wise/maturity wise (again no wonder Blaine as a character was such a fail - dude was like Benjamin Button, aging backwards. Instead of growing and maturing he just seemed to regress in every season), Tina became this weird walking punch line and the whole tone of the McKinley narrative was very young and silly. And it might not have been too much of a problem if there wasn't then the dramatic tonal shift with the New York narrative.

Even with the measly amount of screentime they were getting, the writers for whatever reason seemed to forget that while Kurt and Rachel were in college yes, they were supposed to be Freshmen, meaning at best they were supposed to be 18. But it was like once the two got to New York and Rachel got her supposedly super sexy makeover (I still cringe thinking about those racoon eyes) they were like twenty somethings living in New York in their super cool apartment and that created the issues some had, at least I did, with connecting with them during the early parts of that season.

And so with weird childish McKinley and super cool twentysomething New York, the show just didn't work as one unit and both sides were affected because of it. And they never figured out the way to get that balance with the two and find a consistent tone and voice for the show. And then well things just got even worse. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

They might have benefited from doing something similar to gossip girl, when the orginal cast graduated and set everything in one city and follow college and high school kids in the same setting. maybe have Will open an arts school in Chicago, that's close to Lima and has a good performing arts scene.

The easiest, least complicated way to get the cast they wanted all in NY would be for Carmen, who was at Nationals, to have been so impressed by ND's performance that she hired Will and Sue to coach at NYADA (or really any sort of similar set-up). So, there you've got Jane and Matt, out of the high school, and then you can bring over the most popular kid characters (Rachel, Kurt, Finn, Santana, and Blaine + maybe one or two more to fill a niche...maybe Brittany to keep the zany comic side, maybe Sam or Puck to get another straight white guy playing the field).  Bing, bang, boom. Cutting the fat (sorry Jenna and Kevin and Harry), keeping audience and FOX faves, and a brand new setting with brand new conflicts and stories.

It would have been contrived, but it still would have been more realistic and less contrived than the way they got all the grads coming back to Lima in season 6. So I don't think there would have been much prolonged fandom outcry about it being unrealistic or dumb to keep these people in the same city.

Edited by Ceeg
  • Love 2

Really, there are a hundred different ways you could have had everyone leave Lima together that are all fairly logical (or TV-logical). It's a shame Ryan was so set on trying to franchise the choir room, there were so many post-HS stories to tell with everyone.

Edited by shantown
  • Love 1

Crazy fandom alert:  apparently Lea's movie will film in Vancouver and according to some if she brings her boyfriend it will be a sacrilegious and disrespectful to Cory. 

eta for spelling.

Edited by tom87

Those type of fans are "ghouls".

Sorry Tom , couldn't resist. ;)

not even sure what that word was or where it came from. :)

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

Crazy fandom alert:  apparently Lea's movie will film in Vancouver and according to some if she brings her boyfriend it will be a sacrilegious and disrespectful to Cory. 

eta for spelling.

These people need to go outside and some semblance of reality into their lives.

• Love 1

Last weekend was also crazy busy for the CC tinhatters, what with Chris suddenly appearing in Paris to sightsee with family and bf in tow, while the Paris Con was going on. Someone should harness the energy these people expend for "proving CC is on" into turbines or something, they'll sure power a small city 24/7.

It's also funny when presumed MVPs of fandom tweet, in this case to Chris's publicist, that they KNOW he'll be in NY for the Polly Bergen event, and the publicist casually responds that he's not actually physically going. Oops. 

Edited by fakeempress

Someone should harness the energy these people expend for "proving CC is on" into turbines or something, they'll sure power a small city 24/7.

The same could be said about the time spent on some of the, uh, vigorous and extensive debates taking place on this very website ;)  I've long said that if fandom used their powers for good rather than evil, there would be peace in the Middle East, world hunger would be eradicated, and Mars would have already been developed as a viable and desirable vacation option :)

Back on topic?  People be crazy, man.  That Lea tidbit is just...ugh. 

The same could be said about the time spent on some of the, uh, vigorous and extensive debates taking place on this very website ;)

This. Not to mention, to each his own, but I do think on some level you do have to search for that stuff. Once I dipped my toe in that part of fandom and saw just a little of the crazy, I left and never looked back and I honestly never see, read or hear about any of that stuff.

I mean at this point it's like water is wet, sky is blue, i.e. there are really crazy haters and shippers who post really crazy stuff online and likely will continue to do so. It's not new, it's not original to Glee and it's all really just predictable and repetitive.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

This. Not to mention, to each his own, but I do think on some level you do have to search for that stuff. Once I dipped my toe in that part of fandom and saw just a little of the crazy, I left and never looked back and I honestly never see, read or hear about any of that stuff. I mean at this point it's like water is wet, sky is blue, i.e. there are really crazy haters and shippers who post really crazy stuff online.

To each their own, is what I say in these cases. This is a thread to discuss fandom. I fail to see how we discuss fandom if we don't follow it, or don't have any interest in it. Whoever doesn't have an interest, will not hang out here, is my presumption.

See, I can also advise people who aren't interested in something, the same way they continually advise that people shouldn't be interested in this or that. 

As for searching for this stuff -- this stuff is constantly tagged with the actors' names on tumblr and twitter, so it ends up in the tags. You don't have to search for it to see it if you follow said actors, simple as. 

The same could be said about the time spent on some of the, uh, vigorous and extensive debates taking place on this very website ;)

The irony doesn't escape me :) Too bad the power technology is lagging behind. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2

Sometimes dumb shit does also appear in general spaces (in Chris's interview on ODNT I remember a commenter saying people can't relate to lesbians as much as gay guys. What?)

Sadly, that's true. A whole lot of guys can't understand how a woman could not want dick. It's just unfathomable to them. They should be smacked down early and often, but they exist.

Sadly, that's true. A whole lot of guys can't understand how a woman could not want dick. It's just unfathomable to them. 

As if that's a person's sole identifying characteristic, and no other personality traits or character background matters. Doesn't like dick? Not relatable!

As if that's a person's sole identifying characteristic, and no other personality traits or character background matters. Doesn't like dick? Not relatable!

They were probably already lost at female. Look at all the fits tossed about the new Ghostbusters. Some dudes just can't handle anything not being about them.

Edited by ComfySweater
  • Love 1

As for searching for this stuff -- this stuff is constantly tagged with the actors' names on tumblr and twitter, so it ends up in the tags. You don't have to search for it to see it if you follow said actors, simple as. 

The irony doesn't escape me :) Too bad the power technology is lagging behind. 

I have literally blocked  100's of people on tumblr and blacklisted  shipping  names and stuff  in general.  I am not looking for it in fact the I actively take steps to avoid it.    Just looking at their instagram page you can see the crazy.

Even here they say to block people but if that person gets quoted you still see it.

You simply can't avoid all of the stupid stuff like real life shipping and insults to other fandoms. It's all over the actors' tags, in the comment section of interviews, and same with comments on instagram pics etc.

For instance: the EW interview Chris gave last week (talking about Glee ending) had quite a few comments from crisscolfer shippers, insulting Chris' boyfriend and Chris as well.

Sadly, even now that the show is over and there will be no more pics and tweets feeding the tinhatters (as they might 'prove' that their OTP at one time possibly were even remotely in each other's proximity), it will still take a while before these people move on to other celebrities to fawn over and to ship them with their poor co-workers. I pity whoever that celebrity might be, and their fans.

Sadly, even now that the show is over and there will be no more pics and tweets feeding the tinhatters...

I'm not so sure--the only proof stronger than pictures was NO pictures on account of how they had to hide their passion because of reasons. I wonder who is forcing Darren to remain in the closet now that the evil Fox overlords are out of the picture. The producers of Hedwig maybe? Can't have a rumored gay person playing the lead in a Broadway musical! The scandal!

• Love 4

I'm not so sure--the only proof stronger than pictures was NO pictures on account of how they had to hide their passion because of reasons. I wonder who is forcing Darren to remain in the closet now that the evil Fox overlords are out of the picture. The producers of Hedwig maybe? Can't have a rumored gay person playing the lead in a Broadway musical! The scandal!

Yeah, the real 'devoted' ones will keep this up for a long, long time to come, and probably won't believe it if either Darren or Chris got married (to their real life partners Mia or Will). They are the diehards of the tinhatters.

But I do believe a majority of the cc-shippers are fickle (and young?) enough to move on to other things soon, when they can't tie Chris and Darren to one another in any way possible anymore (with e.g. Darren in New York and Chris in London). I've already seen other male gay ships appear on their tumblrs (I sometimes click on a tinhatter post in the Chris Colfer tag to see who the OP is) and some of them are slowly losing their faith.

There's also no more new Klaine to rile them up and to get their attention, and as they are not fed with any new spoilers, storylines, songs, gifs etc. for their OTP they move on to other shows for that weekly dose of hot gays making out as well, falling in love with those characters. They'll lose interest in the fictional (but now gone) couple Klaine, and hopefully soon they'll also lose interest in (at least one of) the actors behind the characters.

I really hope I'm right about this, tbh. I can't wait for the day when the Chris Colfer tag will actually be all about him and not his Glee co-star.

Edited by Glorfindel
  • Love 1

I don't discount that pockets of diehard tinhatters will remain. Like the Robsten ones still convinced Kristen gave birth to Rob's baby - and it's been years already! But hopefully the bulk will soon stop harrassing the actors and their friends, and being jerks in the tags. If they were keeping to themselves all this time, it wouldn't be such a big issue. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

I don't discount that pockets of diehard tinhatters will remain. Like the Robsten ones still convinced Kristen gave birth to Rob's baby - and it's been years already! But hopefully the bulk will soon stop harrassing the actors and their friends, and being jerks in the tags. If they were keeping to themselves all this time, it wouldn't be such a big issue. 

This.

If they just kept their delusions and fantasies in their own shipping tags it would be bearable, and it all wouldn't be so annoying (or at least visible) all the time. But they want to push it down everyone's throat, or at the least flaunt it in other fans' faces, tagging the actors on purpose to piss the other fandoms off.

Some of their comments on media sites (interviews and such) are so embarrassing and libelous, full of lies and headcanons, but still some clueless GA might think it's the truth.

But the worst thing of course is some of them tagging and tweeting the actors directly with their delusional shit and NSFW stuff, especially when they then insult the actors' real life partners, bully their friends, or even harass the actors themselves.

I really hope most of them get tired of it soon and move on.

But the worst thing of course is some of them tagging and tweeting the actors directly with their delusional shit and NSFW stuff, especially when they then insult the actors' real life partners, bully their friends, or even harass the actors themselves.

I feel like there are posts every day in the Naya tumblr tag asking people to report user xx for targeted harassment. And I've made the mistake of clicking on their pages before to see what they say, and it's absolutely vile shit. No wonder Naya deleted twitter off of her phone (she said on the View that she deleted the app because it was toxic). I'm just glad that most celebrities seem to understand that the crazy crazies don't represent the entirety of their fans.

But also, twitter is the absolute worst at policing stuff like that. Their harassment/spam policies are terrible, and do nothing to prevent people from creating account after account, designed for the purpose of tweeting horrible stuff. They need to start tracking IPs and banning them after a certain number of reports or something.

Edited by Ceeg

Ashley Judd was in the news recently about taking some action against twitter jerks; she sounded like she was serious. I don't remember though if she talked about the banning policy as well. I feel like until someone high profile wins a court case against twitter trolls and bullies that has implications for the company, the company will drag their feet. 

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

One of the more bizarre things is that I always assumed these people were pretty young, like maybe teenagers or something, but I've come to realize a lot of these people are adults.  

Edited by dizzyizzy01

One of the more bizarre things is that I always assumed these people were pretty young, like maybe teenagers or something, but I've come to realize a lot of these people are adults.

They're "young at heart",  and mind and brain capacity too.

What generally flummoxes me is the rage.  I think a lot of the anger stems from a sense of entitlement to the thing that is a celebrity, but to then take that rage and tweet and tweet and tweet at someone because they aren't reacting to whomever you want for whatever reason you've got is so odd.

Yesterday, Chris Colfer tweeted a friend about a table read for her new sitcom that he was happy for her and proud of her and it provoked a series of increasingly venomous and agitated tweets from several people who were outraged that Chris didn't tweet something similar to Darren Criss about Hegwig.  From whence does this wellspring of unhingedness come, I wonder?

• Love 1

What generally flummoxes me is the rage.  I think a lot of the anger stems from a sense of entitlement to the thing that is a celebrity, but to then take that rage and tweet and tweet and tweet at someone because they aren't reacting to whomever you want for whatever reason you've got is so odd.

Speaking of entitlement thinking a celebrity shouldn't block you after you send them stupid and/or insulting crap.   

• Love 2

Speaking of entitlement thinking a celebrity shouldn't block you after you send them stupid and/or insulting crap.   

Or when celebrities (like Chris last night) cut them to size for it, and then these people say Omg he/she responded! Really, that's the kind of validation you want, to be told in no uncertain terms that you are an idiot? 

• Love 1

Yesterday, Chris Colfer tweeted a friend about a table read for her new sitcom that he was happy for her and proud of her and it provoked a series of increasingly venomous and agitated tweets from several people who were outraged that Chris didn't tweet something similar to Darren Criss about Hegwig.  From whence does this wellspring of unhingedness come, I wonder?

It's because by Chris not tweeting congrats at Darren, it damages their headcanon about Chris' and Darren's relationship, and the only way these people can express anger at reality encroaching on their fantasy is to aim their anger at the source of said reality. Anything or anyone that dares to destroy an idea/fantasty that these people have devoted years of their lives and energy to is the enemy. Even if that person is the object of their fantasies.  It's insane, but I can at least understand their motives and what drives them to do that shit.

The ones that I don't understand at all are the people who create hate accounts simply to hate. Literally no matter what [insert celebrity] does, they'll bombard them with tweets about [insert insult]. Whether it's about the celeb's looks, talent, careers, personal life choices, whatever. 

All these people need some kind of psychological help, though. 

It's absolutely ridiculous. I read something the other day where someone suggested that Chris being out with his boyfriend was proof that him and Darren were dating. Pretty much, no matter what they do is proof. 

It's really a shame for Darren and Chris in particular. I don't know how good of friends they are or aren't..but even if they wanted to hang out, they couldn't.  

• Love 1

Or when celebrities (like Chris last night) cut them to size for it, and then these people say Omg he/she responded! Really, that's the kind of validation you want, to be told in no uncertain terms that you are an idiot?

This happens with Amber a lot, too. People tweet all kinds of rude things and if she responds, it's all "OMG. You responded! I love you!" They're like toddlers misbehaving for attention. It's horrifying, but fascinating.

• Love 1
(edited)

This happens with Amber a lot, too. People tweet all kinds of rude things and if she responds, it's all "OMG. You responded! I love you!" They're like toddlers misbehaving for attention. It's horrifying, but fascinating.

Yeah, that's my impression too. It's like, notice me! regardless of the context. Social media seems to reinforce this behaviour in some people. 

I don't know how good of friends they are or aren't..but even if they wanted to hang out, they couldn't

I don't think it's because of the fans' obsession that they couldn't hang out. I think in that BTS interview Darren was talking in hindsight. As for hanging out, they could if they wanted, at private parties which fans may know nothing about, not everything is on twitter.

As for how good friends they are, the only valid comment, besides theirs, has come I think from Kalen (the woman who used to do the Glee BTS content before Mia) who answered someone on twitter a while ago: "They def don't hate each other but I don't think they hang out outside of work. I would call them 'work friends." She also said that Darren and Chord are very close.

Of course, she got attacked by tinhatters for the "work friends" comment, because some overinvested people cannot conceive that Darren and Chris aren't either bff / a couple, or at each other's throats. 

Edited by fakeempress