Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: 6 A.M.

HalcyonDays

I LOVE this episode! Henry hates Jazz! ROFL! Awww Henry! Jazz is great! Give it a chance! :) I love how Abe says Henry, and then he says whatever Daaaaad. Hahaha. Now why can't Abe call him dad whenever they are alone? I don't see why he doesn't.  When Abe was a kid, Henry taught him how to play the piano, and now Abe as an adult teaches his dad Jazz. :) Oh and I don't know if anybody knows this, but Forever is two months old, and already there are fan fics for it!!! :) That is great!

• Love 7

I still love Henry and Abe relationship and the flashbacks of when Abe was growing up. Pretty enjoyable episode and I was loling at Henry thinking that every kind of music that's not classical is noise. Such a parent thing to do.

• Love 7

This was a great episode! I like that we are learning something different about Henry and the relationship with Abe.  So were Henry and Abe by themselves during these flashbacks?  Was the pretty blonde (whose name escapes me) already "gone"?  Or was she just not shown?  The caption said this was 1956.  What year was it when he was shown with the blonde during the art gallery flashback during the episode about the elderly socialite's death?

• Love 3
Now why can't Abe call him dad whenever they are alone? I don't see why he doesn't.

I've been assuming it's easier for them to make it a habit of calling each other always by first name, even though technically when they're alone it shouldn't matter, because it makes it more natural and less likely to slip up around others. They've been hiding this for decades: the options seem to be interact with no one else, or have a set cover and don't deviate from it. Less chance of mistakes.

On the other hand, the Daaaaad was a joke, so even if someone overheard it, it still fit in the context of the actual conversation, so there's no worry about making a remark like that. That sort of thing, in my mind, doesn't negate that it might still be totally natural for Abe to be in the habit of calling him Henry by default.

• Love 6

In the flashback when the neighbor came over to tell Henry he'd won a six-month gig in Paris, did it sound like Henry had been doing his own jazz experimentation?

My big question, and it comes up frequently in crime procedurals, WHY did they not give the tape a listen before taking it into the interrogation room?

• Love 5

"I've been assuming it's easier for them to make it a habit of calling each other always by first name, even though technically when they're alone it shouldn't matter, because it makes it more natural and less likely to slip up around others. They've been hiding this for decades: the options seem to be interact with no one else, or have a set cover and don't deviate from it. Less chance of mistakes."

Yeah I realize that, but they shouldn't have to worry about that! :) I really want Abe to call him dad. :)

"On the other hand, the Daaaaad was a joke, so even if someone overheard it, it still fit in the context of the actual conversation, so there's no worry about making a remark like that. That sort of thing, in my mind, doesn't negate that it might still be totally natural for Abe to be in the habit of calling him Henry by default."

Oh. Well joke or not it's still cute hehe.

"caprice says WHY did they not give the tape a listen before taking it into the interrogation room?"

That is EXACTLY what I was wondering!!!! That was an odd scene. Did they think they didn't have time?

Edited by sonyab
  • Love 3

I really enjoyed this episode. I'm thinking that this show is starting to find its groove and that makes me happy.

I like the interweaving of past and present events to "discuss" each episode's theme. I don't even mind the voiceovers, although I know that others do.

Of course, Henry doesn't like jazz. I don't mind jazz, but that was a total parent thing to refer to it as noise. I'm sure that parents of the Boomers who listened to rock & roll thought that was noise too. Each generation complains about the next generation's choice of music. That's very relatable.

Count me in as another viewer who enjoys Henry and Abe's relationship and their dynamic. Father teaching his son classical music and son teaching father jazz. I think Abigail had already died by 1956. If that's the case, then she wasn't in the picture for very long. When I think of that, I start thinking of the fact that Abe is getting older and eventually, he'll die and Henry will be alone again. That makes me sad and it explains Henry's quirkiness and pessimism. He'll always wind up alone over and over.

I also look forward to the banter between Henry and Lucas. I'm so shocked Lucas was a film student (not!). He talked about making "horror erotica." I almost died.

There are so many great lines on this show, I'm glad to see a quotes thread in this forum.

I wish we didn't have to wait two weeks until the next episode. I think the show's getting better. And the fact that there's already fan fiction is saying something.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4

I start thinking of the fact that Abe is getting older and eventually, he'll die and Henry will be alone again. That makes me sad and it explains Henry's quirkiness and pessimism. He'll always wind up alone over and over.

It's sort of like owning a dog.  You love it and care for it it's entire life, knowing that it will die.  And when it does, you mourn, then you get yourself another dog.

• Love 2

I'm in the minority. I had a hard time paying attention to this episode. It kinda bored me.

I was bored, too. I have been for the past few weeks. I really want to like this show, and I do like the characters, but the cases of the week, and even the character development, are just so dull.

In spite of the places (mentioned above and a few others) where the episode was a little rough around the edges, I really did enjoy it--probably in part because I like jazz, especially when it just appears in my life and media unexpected.

Something about the title of the song, "6 a.m." reminded me of "Take the A Train." I wondered if they came up with the title first and then wrote in the daughter's time of birth.

• Love 2

I'm really liking this show. All the relationships are hitting the right notes without being overly shoved in our faces like most shows do. Except for that other cop whose main purpose is to be wrong or something. 

Henry and Abe are the best. I love seeing little Abe and Henry along with older Abe and Henry. The actors are doing a great job (not that I think they wouldn't be) but I love that despite the actors ages Abe acts like a child around Henry and Henry is such a dad. Jo has really grown on me too, even though she didn't have much to do this episode.

I don't even care about the cases so much as seeing these character interact with each other. 

• Love 6
For someone who was awful on All My Children back in the day, Alana de la Garza has vastly improved.  I liked when Jo and the other detective was joking that Henry would say the burned body was a murder.

OMG, I'd forgotten ADLG started on soaps. Wasn't she one of the Santos sisters on AMC? Either way, she's done well for herself, what with being the final female ADA on Law & Order in its last few years, and now Forever.

Come to think of it, Kelli Giddish of L&O: SVU started on AMC, too.

• Love 1

Another good episode. Thought it was cute that Henry didn't like Jazz. Our parents never seem to like what we like, right? Of course Henry would be more into classical. Man, do I ever now want to see a flashback of Henry in the 60's - or the 70's!! Ha!!

Abe and Henry's relationship is wonderful. Abe seems so laid back and just goes with the flow, which I guess one would have to do, considering his son. But it must be so weird for them, but obviously necessary.

And I do really love quirky Lucas - even is no one else (on the show) does. He's adorable.

• Love 2

I know it's unfair, but the actor still creeps me out since he played batshit crazy Paul Sobricki on ER over a decade ago!

Damn it, why'd you have to remind me of that?? I thought I'd blocked it out! (LOL. He was so scary. When he stabbed John Carter... and then Carter found Lucy already lying on the floor... haunted me as a viewer, forever.)

I continue to love the Abe and Henry relationship the most. Seeing their flashbacks, and their growth in their current relationship, with Henry deciding to give jazz a try rather than hold onto a viewpoint he's probably held for over 100 years... it just melted my heart, watching them at the piano together. It's very sweet. More, please.

• Love 3
Damn it, why'd you have to remind me of that?? I thought I'd blocked it out! (LOL. He was so scary. When he stabbed John Carter... and then Carter found Lucy already lying on the floor... haunted me as a viewer, forever.)

<Hangs head> Sorry. I mean, it was intense! I still associate that song "Battle Flag" with that whole incident, too. But Mr. Krumholtz must be a good actor to still be so memorable for...that.  :-)

• Love 1

For someone who was awful on All My Children back in the day, Alana de la Garza has vastly improved.  I liked when Jo and the other detective was joking that Henry would say the burned body was a murder.

I used to watch AMC! Until it was cancelled. But did watch it online. Too bad it's no longer online. Yeah she has gotten better.

Did anyone happen to catch the credits on this one?  I was wondering who played Issy (the victim) but IMDb doesn't have him listed in the credits and I already deleted it from my DVR.  He kind of reminded me of Ray J.

Did anyone happen to catch the credits on this one?  I was wondering who played Issy (the victim) but IMDb doesn't have him listed in the credits and I already deleted it from my DVR.  He kind of reminded me of Ray J

Did a little digging:

From IMDB:  Tarik Lowe is an actor and writer, known for Whiplash (2014), Supporting Characters (2012) and The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete (2013).  

Also had a recurring role when he was around 19 years old on One Life to Live in 2004/2005 as Hudson Prescott.

Thanks!  I checked out his credits and I've never seen anything he's been in, so I don't think I've seen him before.  I also noticed that I don't get a Ray J vibe at all just seeing still pictures, so it might have been his voice that made me think that.

Another good episode. Thought it was cute that Henry didn't like Jazz. Our parents never seem to like what we like, right? Of course Henry would be more into classical. Man, do I ever now want to see a flashback of Henry in the 60's - or the 70's!! Ha!!

And I do really love quirky Lucas - even is no one else (on the show) does. He's adorable.

I really enjoyed Lucas this episode!

The dialogue was sharp and fun throughout the show, and for

me, it is the various characters and their interactions that I enjoy the most.

As far as the music genres, well I like only some classical and some types of jazz, so I didn't have a vested interest in the musical "war"between Abe and Henry. But it was fun to watch.

I enjoyed this one although they did hit one of my pet peeves: not showing that the "pianist" is really playing the piano.  It didn't bother me much because probably none of these actors play well enough, so they had to cut from an actor's face to a real pianist's hands.  I really get annoyed, though, when they do it to an actor who really does play well, and probably did play the music, such as Hugh Laurie.

At the 100th anniversary of the Boston Symphony Orchestra (1981) one speaker was a musician who had been with the BSO more than 50 years and had known some of the original musicians.  He said he asked one of the original musicians whether they had played any modern music in the early years.  The answer:  "Oh yes, we played Debussy and even Brahms."

• Love 1

Thus far I've liked all of the episodes I've watched. I remember Ioan from the Horatio Hornblower miniseries. Its funny to hear his real accent in interviews. I even managed to see one video where he was speaking in Welsh.

I grew up loving the music my parents listened to and I love classical music. I've never been overly fond of jazz, but I do like its predecessor (ragtime). I did get a chuckle out of the way Henry responded to Abe listening to jazz.

They really do have a great relationship. Despite seeing Henry as his "dad", Abe clearly feels the need to take care of him and they are both mutually nurturing. I pretty much feel the way Henry did about jazz. It sounds like noise to me. LOL.

I know it wasn't in this episode, but I also loved the way Henry reacted to the woman who wanted to buy his credenza and "desecrate" it. That was exactly how I feel about people doing that to antique furniture.

I do wonder what happens to Henry's clothes when he dies and how he keeps getting his pocket watch back. LOL. I can handwave and ignore that since it is a fantasy premise though.