Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 11/17/14

11/17: Laura Poitras (filmmaker – promoting documentary “Citizenfour”)
11/18: Benedict Cumberbatch (actor – promoting movie “The Imitation Game”)
11/19: Jessica Chastain (actor – promoting movie “Interstellar”)
11/20: Eddie Redmayne (actor – promoting movie “The Theory of Everything”)

Week of 11/24: DARK!

Why is Romney being interviewed for anything? Who cares what he has to say? He's not a party leader. Also, these people are delusional if they claim the "American people have spoken". No, a pretty homogeneous swath of 1/3 of eligible voters spoke because democrats were idiotic. Also, those same people voted for liberal ballot measures like raising the minimum wage while also electing people opposed to these kinds of policies. So, no one really spoke. 

I don't know if that bald guy from Detroit was trolling or legit batshit. It's one thing for TDS folks to tool on their interviewees, but Jessica flat out said, "don't you think you're being misleading?" while also pointing out the facts that the golf courses have delinquent water bills. It was bizarre.

Will the Detroit News douche realize how stupid and soulless he looked? Or will he claim he was set up (by his own words)? My guess is the latter.

I'm going with option C: he lacks the self awareness to even realize what an asshole he is, will be utterly shocked by the negative reaction and he will tell everyone else that they are overreacting.

Here's The Detroit News covering the piece. http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2014/11/17/detroit-water-shutoffs-daily-show-jon-stewart/19176623/

Edited by marceline

I actually listened to the Romney interview. I listen to Face The Nation on Sunday morning. I said the same thing then. The whole interview was pretty ridiculous. 

Criticizing foreign policy is weaksauce mainly because I think the president et al., are privy to classified information that we aren't, and there's probably a billion moving parts going back decades. 

• Love 1

So thanks to the idiocy of Jonathon Gruber for saying the American public is stupid for accepting the ACA as it is, the right is counting on that same idiocy of the American public to help them destroy the ACA, with a big assist from the Supreme Court. Only in America they say. 

And I agree with Jon's summation Nancy Pelosi at the end of that segment. She seems a bit of a liability to the Democrats, at this point, than an asset.

Would the universe tell us if we were getting stupider? Why is this anything at all? In the worst case scenario, it should be a teaching moment for the news media, politicians, economists, et al., to explain to the general public how insurance works. In the best case scenario, it should be a non-story of someone in the public sphere saying something stupid while the media, government, and public go on about their lives. Instead, here we go again with a non-issue becoming its own reality on which everyone has to comment--not only perpetuating the ignorance and misinformation, but potentially becoming the foundations for public policy. No wonder Jon couldn't stop swearing.

I can't wait to see The Imitation Game; I'm no mathematician, but cryptanalysis is in some aspects contiguous to what I study. As for Benedict Cumberbatch, I haven't seen Sherlock or Star Trek Into Darkness or anything else in which he has starred, so this is the extent of my opinion: wow, what a voice.

Fremde, you should really check out Sherlock. Bendersnickle Flufflerunp is fantastic in it, as is Martin Freeman.

So thanks to the idiocy of Jonathon Gruber for saying the American public is stupid for accepting the ACA as it is, the right is counting on that same idiocy of the American public to help them destroy the ACA, with a big assist from the Supreme Court. Only in America they say.

Ugh WTF. So Gruber is a MIT professor who helped out with the ACA, does he have any political aspirations?

The Pelosi-Duckworth situation can't just be because Duckworth sided with "the wrong person", could it?

• Love 1

I think this is more of a nonstory than anything. I'm really over the ACA bashing. 

I'm not really butthurt someone called me stupid, actually. I'm actually not. You know what though? If you didn't vote, you're actually stupid because this is all that the rest of the year is going to be, bitching and moaning and nothing's going to get done.

• Love 2

I think this is more of a nonstory than anything. I'm really over the ACA bashing.

It's actually quite a big story because the Supremes have agreed to hear an very weak argument against it, meaning there's a very good chance they will overturn the whole damn law to shore up their conservative bonafides. A do-over for Roberts who allowed the law to stand the last time it came before the court, and conservatives lambasted him for being a traitor. If the Supreme court sides with the plaintiff and agrees people can only get government subsidies for health insurance if their state set up their own exchange, the whole ACA collapses.

• Love 2

But to me, the fact that Roberts DID uphold the law last time, despite all the heat he faced from conservatives, plus the fact that he actually switched his position at the last minute (he was originally going to side with the conservatives), makes me think the last thing he'd want to do is take this up again, let alone change his mind on the whole thing just two years later. I think the four who did want to overturn it are trying to put pressure on him to do so, but the thing is, now it'd be taking insurance AWAY from people who actually have it.

I think it'd be nuts for him to reverse himself on something this big just a short time later, and now with even bigger consequences for real people. I assume the reason he sided with the government in the first place was because he was concerned about the Court's image if they overturned a Democratic president's signature achievement, and that has not gone away.

Obviously, I coud be wrong and he really might change course, but I really think that would be a jaw dropping move for the Court to make.

By the way, to me Nancy Pelosi doesn't have to be a good politician or even a good person, no Speaker of the House or Majority/Minority leader does. What they have to do is make sure their party passes legislation, which is why John Boehner is a TERRIBLE speaker, and Nancy Pelosi was a good one. When the Democrats had the House for that brief period of time, Pelosi got shit done. Go back and see how many bills Pelosi's House passed when Democrats were in charge, in Obama's first two years. Not even kidding, that was one of the most active and progressive House of Representatives in history. The Senate was where most of it died of course (aside from the ACA, stimulus, and DADT repeal), but forcing your caucus to pass your bills is the only thing required in an effective congressional leader, imo.

I really don't care how craven Jon thinks she is- if we still had a Democratic Congress everyone would be praising her as one of the most successful speakers ever, in terms of passing legislation (they were even starting to back then). We wouldn't have the ACA right now if it wasn't for that Congress, and we'd also be in Year 6 of another Great Depression, because unbelievably, not a single Republican voted for the stimulus.

• Love 5

This all just makes me very grateful to have health insurance through my employer, the state of Connecticut. Even though my paycheck is docked twice--once for my current insurance, once for the retiree health plan I hope to someday enjoy--and I have to meet a number of mandatory steps every year. Thank god the colonoscopy is behind me..sorry...that was unintentional...and the pap smear is once every 3 years.

I was wondering if Jon doesn't like Pelosi personally and that was the catalyst for that segment. He certainly seems to have been frustrated by her non-answers during her guest appearances on the show.

Maybe next time we could find some justices who are interested in law rather than politics.

The most important reason why it's so important to keep a Democrat in the White House.

This all just makes me very grateful to have health insurance through my employer, the state of Connecticut. Even though my paycheck is docked twice--once for my current insurance, once for the retiree health plan I hope to someday enjoy

All this shit every day makes me even more grateful that I live in Canada where having health insurance isn't something we even think about. It's just there for us all the time and we don't have to think about it. Yes, our taxes may be a bit higher but it's still far less than what you folks have to pay in monthly premiums and co-pays and deductibles and whatnot.

All this shit every day makes me even more grateful that I live in Canada where having health insurance isn't something we even think about. It's just there for us all the time and we don't have to think about it. Yes, our taxes may be a bit higher but it's still far less than what you folks have to pay in monthly premiums and co-pays and deductibles and whatnot.

Unless you're that Canadian couple who now owe about a million dollars of hospital bills after a vacation in Hawaii.

I can see the idea where they would introduce a new correspondent, like Hassan. But that bit really didn't display what he could do. He was a straight man to Jordan's weird persona. It was kind of like when Ed Helms replaced Steve Carell for an Even Stevphan segment. Oh, and fuck you Pigface Chris Christie, man of the people my ass.

Ah Lewis, it's been a while since we last saw you. It's like you're a retail employee being forced to work Thanksgiving all through to the Christmas holidays by a Scrooge of a greedy sociopath.

Color me surprised that Lewis Black is still on the show. I perk up anytime Jon talks about "news falling through the cracks." And Lewis didn't disappoint, ramping up his crankiness as far as he could take it. I saw him perform once  . . . he was so intense and hilarious.

• Love 2

Unless you're that Canadian couple who now owe about a million dollars of hospital bills after a vacation in Hawaii.

Their problem is not with the Canadian health care system, it's with the travel insurance they bought for coverage while out of the country. If their baby had been born prematurely in Canada, they wouldn't have to do any more than show their health care card when they arrived at the hospital and never think about the costs again.

Was it me or did Jon seem bored with Chastain? An Armageddon joke - extended, no less, with singing - seemed unworthy of his time, so maybe he was trying to kill some?

I think Jon has muffed almost all his interviews in the last month or so. Interviews have never been his strong suit but gawd, he won't stop talking these days and his guests barely get a word in edgewise. When Steve Carell was on for instance, except for the joke where he was calling Jon a god and the greatest director ever, I don't think he was allowed to say more that a dozen words. It's kind of funny since you'd think having done so many interviews himself recently Jon would be more conscious of letting the guest speak.

Yeah, I don't think Jon was bored with Jessica Chastain. I think one problem is that it's tough to talk about the movie. I haven't seen it, but even Jessica saying that she's Matthew McConahaughey's daughter seemed like a spoiler. Maybe not. 

Anyway, it wasn't a good interview. Jon should prepare more.

The pig story made me so mad that I started to cry.

Me too!!! And I don't even eat pork.  The only meat I eat is turkey bacon, and now I don't even want that any more. 

Like Jessica said, if animals are being used to feed humans we should honor their lives and make them as comfortable and well fed as possible.     Then the meat we take from them will be healthy, and not full of stress hormones.   I realize "comfortable" sounds like I want them all to be treated like the family pet, and I know that's not possible.  But the way they're treated now is an abomination. 

ETA:  Is the new guy HOT or what? 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 6

Their problem is not with the Canadian health care system, it's with the travel insurance they bought for coverage while out of the country. If their baby had been born prematurely in Canada, they wouldn't have to do any more than show their health care card when they arrived at the hospital and never think about the costs again.

I think the off topic point I didn't make was that they're lucky to come for a country where that sort of BS wouldn't happen. And even doing the right thing in doing research and buying travel insurance for the US still didn't work. Just shows how broken the US health care system is. And I guess to bring it back to some sort of on topic point, shows how we're going to need the Republicans to not get rid of the ACA.

I'd think Jon's myriad of interviews to promote Rosewater has kind of brought out the worst in his own interviewing skills because he's probably still in "answer question mode" and not "ask question mode". He was never Terry Gross that's for sure.  Edited to add, he's also pretty bad at being interviewed because he often talks over his own interviewer. However, since he's often being interviewed by better interviewers, he can finish his thoughts. *shrugs* He'll probably be back to his normal bad interview self once the Rosewater junket is done.

Edited by maculae
I'd think Jon's myriad of interviews to promote Rosewater has kind of brought out the worst in his own interviewing skills because he's probably still in "answer question mode" and not "ask question mode"

He has been a little distracted this week. Maybe it's from running here and there to do the interviews.  He was on Fallon last night, and they didn't really talk that much about Rosewater.  More about his old shows on MTV.  Higgins was on it, and he had The Roots on, so they showed that clip.  Talk about hilarious.  Let's just say the Roots have stepped up their wardrobe game a lot. 

The irony is that you actually can taste the difference between pigs raised cruelly and pigs raised humanely. This year, I've started getting my food through a local community-supported agriculture (CSA) program. That includes local farms where the pigs are allowed to roam around and forage and the difference is phenomenal. I wish more people could experience the difference. I also wish Chris Christie wasn't such a dick.

• Love 6
It's actually quite a big story because the Supremes have agreed to hear an very weak argument against it, meaning there's a very good chance they will overturn the whole damn law to shore up their conservative bonafides.

That's a real story. Some MIT professor calling people stupid isn't a story. That's what's being plastered all over the news. I'm over the "it took me 35 seconds to log in, the ACA is a total disaster." 

I have health care from the CA exchange since Nov 1 for the first time in 2 years. If I lose it, I'm going to be livid. I'm not seeing stories about the 9+ million people who are better off with the ACA now. We're only hearing about the 1 person whose premium went up $5. I'm over that. 

I wish people would just stop buying gifts. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

Well if it helps a little, I read a story yesterday that the insurance companies DO NOT WANT the ACA overturned. 

They are seeing record profits, stock is off the chart and they are letting the Republicans know.

I think most of this is just keeping the Tea Party base riled up. The Republicans know it isn't going to be overturned. 

As far as premiums going up, why is this suddenly such a shock to people?  I was talking about it with a coworker who was trying to blame ACA for our premiums going up, and I told him our premiums went up almost every year since I've been here, which is thirteen years.  Who did you blame before the ACA became law?   We changed insurance companies more often than I change underwear (not really) to get a lower rate,  but NOW it's all the President's fault. 

The irony is that you actually can taste the difference between pigs raised cruelly and pigs raised humanely. This year, I've started getting my food through a local community-supported agriculture (CSA) program. That includes local farms where the pigs are allowed to roam around and forage and the difference is phenomenal. I wish more people could experience the difference. I also wish Chris Christie wasn't such a dick.

I look at it this way.  If someone was donating a kidney or another organ to you, wouldn't you be like "OMG what can I do to repay you for this?  You are making this huge sacrifice for me".  You wouldn't say "Here let me stick you in a 3x4 foot box and feed you hormones and antibiotics and crappy food and make your life hell".

Let's treat animals who become our food the same way we treat humans who go out of their way to do something for us. Kindness, regard for their safety and well being, and gratitude for the sacrifice. 

• Love 7

Jon on Fallon was great, especially this part:

People have been talking about inhumane farming practices for years, but nobody wants to actually address the conditions in which these animals live before they become food... or the process by which they become food. Because half of the people who know it cry freedom or god, and the other half cry eww and never think of it again. (I agree with Victor the Crab: that seemed like a counterproductive way to introduce a new correspondent. They're usually better about highlighting the new person. I wonder if Jon has had much of a hand in writing or editing anything these last two weeks. Regardless of whether or not I agree with the punchline of a piece, the narrative arc and focus are generally much sharper than they've been lately.)

Welcome back, Lewis!

• Love 1
He can wear a suit, that's for sure.

I like when the male guests, especially, make an effort sartorially.

I thought it was a little odd Jon was being so careful about spoilers when the movie has been in the theaters for a couple of weeks. I get they don't want to give the whole thing away, but I think they could have said more. I say this as someone who hasn't seen the movie.

I was laid off last week and now have the unenviable task of deciding whether to get health insurance through COBRA (which will eventually end) or the NYS exchange. As someone with a pre-existing condition, the idea that I could be dropped from a plan or charged an even more absurd rate terrifies me. I don't understand the people who are against universal coverage (regardless of how it's managed). Access to adequate health care should not be a luxury item.

• Love 3

I am very grateful for the ACA but it does show how we need a single payer in this country.

Premiums have always gone up, but in some reasonable states there is now some sort of regulation about how much it can go up. Not in Florida, so please correct me if I am wrong.

In my case, after getting family insurance for the first time, due to the pre-existing condition cannot be denied part, we need to use it, to the point we reached the maximum out of pocket.

Our insurance is going up by over 35% next period, plus we still have all the co-pays to finish paying. But in Florida the legislature passed law that allows to insurers to do whatever and increase the premium by as much as they want.

Credit scores do not go down because of medical bills. Not even here. If you cannot pay your medical bills, or if you take too long to pay them, you will be annoyed by phone calls, but your score will be fine

I didn't know that either until someone in the business told me so.

dubbelzout, my empathy and sympathies. I was fortunate enough to get laid off in 2006 (fortunate because I'm a woman of a certain age, and I live in Metro Detroit, where the shit seriously hit the fan in 2008 so I'm glad they didn't wait a couple of years).

I was ecstatic to find a job within two months and only a 20% pay cut! But I am 1000% happier where I am, so there's that :)

My recollection is that COBRA was insanely expensive, particularly for just-laid-off-me. ACA insurance is cheaper, I hope. But the whole system is sadly still jacked. 

Part of the ACA is the fact that pre-existing conditions should not be an issue WRT getting a policy under any plan, be it COBRA, ACA, employer-provided, or privately purchased.

Definitely look into going through the exchange, because it might be cheaper than COBRA.

I'm all for medicare for all, but a wonderful step in the right direction would be to separate one's insurance from one's employer. Think of the difference that would make to people like dubbel zout, as well as those who take (or stay with) a crappy job just for the bennies.

• Love 2

Sorry about you being laid off. That sucks. 

Since you had a policy and were covered with the pre existing condition, with ACA in effect, would you be able to find something on the exchange?  That perhaps would be less expensive than the coverage under COBRA? 

Good luck!!

• Love 1