Type keyword(s) to search

Nail Polish: What Colour Are You Wearing?

• Start Topic

Ooo, a nail polish topic! I actually already have a picture of what my nails look like today

yiNPuROl.jpg

I meant to add the product list & forgot, so here it is in case anyone is interested.

Butter London polish in Lady Muck
Essie polish in Over The Edge
Wet n Wild Fergie polish in New Years Kiss (over Lady Muck)
Julep polish in Katerina (over white polish)

Edited by GaT
  • Love 5

Nice! My problem is I love polish but working with dogs it messes them up quick!! Any suggestions?

Petunia, I could never wear polish until I started using quick dry. My favorite is by Sally Hansen in a red bottle. I think it says it's 60 second dry.  That stuff is amazing.

• Love 2

Sally Hansen in the red bottle is MAGIC! Dries so quickly, and is surprisingly chop resistant - I actually like it better than their new "No-Chip" polish, which I wasn't that impressed with.

I'm due for a polish change, but right now I'm wearing Essie's "The Perfect Cover Up". It's a really great grayish blue.

• Love 2

I use Sally Hansen Hard as Nails hardener, which goes on clear, after buffing my nails with a nail block.  It's my all-time favorite clear polish, and I've tried a lot.  I reapply about every week or two.  I love colored nail polish too, but I don't have the patience to fix all the chips.

I use this as a base coat. I've had no issue with it. It lasts awhile, protects my nails, dries fast, and does look good by itself.

Just finished a mani/pedi & on my toes I'm wearing Spoiled polish by Wet n' Wild in Checkin' Into Rehab. & on my fingers I'm wearing Nicole Carrie'd Away with Sally Hansen Crackle in Vintage Violet ontop of it.

• Love 2

Ill have to try that Sally Hansen then!! Working in dog handling and grooming its just murder on a mani : ( all the water and cleansers and them mauling me with hugs. I find myself drawn to, and I know this sounds insane, the colors sold at Urban Outfitters and American Apparel.

Right  now I'm wearing a gold toned down glitter (it's very fine and doesn't glint as much as regular glitter) by OPI Nicole.

I've done a lacey nail stamp in turquoise over that.  It's a pretty combination.  :)  (I've really gotten into nail stamping)

Okay, y'all, I need some help! I've recently gotten back into painting my nails and I need some recommendations on good, long lasting, no chip polish. I've tried Sally Hansen's Miracle Gel (the kind that doesn't need a light), but it chipped after only two days, which was disappointing. I'm not particularly hard on my nails but I do swim 4-5 times a week, so I'm sure that doesn't help. Any recommendations?

I actually had a terrible time with Sally Hansen's miracle-chip gel - I didn't find it very strong at all.  I do think the Sally Hansen in the red bottle is much better top coat; I've heard good things about Seche Vite, but I've never liked it all that much.

Sally Hansen's Complete Manicure topped with the red bottle is a combo that usually lasts for a bit chip-free on my nails.  And shockingly, Wet n Wild's "Megalast" nail polish is actually pretty strong.   What can also help is re-applying a light layer of top coat every 2 days or so.

• Love 2

After trying many, many different brands, I personally find Avon's Nailwear Pro+ to be the longest lasting. I usually get at least 5 days with no chips at all. I use their UV Gloss Guard top coat as well. I use Orly's Bonder base coat. The Sally Hansen dry and go drops are an absolute must, IMO.

• Love 2

Hey y'all, with the Sally Hanson miracle gel did you use the corresponding top coat. It's in a black bottle I believe. My youngest, who is hard on her nails, tried it first without & then with & she could tell a major difference with the miracle gel top coat. Still not manicure gel good but better than normal. I was wondering if it really worked or she just miraculously (ha) did better.

Ditto, I used it with the special gel topcoat in the black bottle and had chips by day 2. I'm currently wearing a navy Revlon Moon Candy polish (with blue glitter on my ring fingernails for fun) and using a new Sally Hansen Salon Manicure Ultra Wear top coat. We'll see how it works.

Thanks y'all for the input! Maybe my kiddo was just oddly careful for once. I haven't tried the miracle gel yet because I've gotten out of the habit of painting my nails. Maybe I'll try a few different polishes at the same time & have a chip off.

FWIW, I've had some friends who've had great success with it.  Maybe the chemistry of people's nails (or what you do with them day-to-day) affects it?  I was just so bummed that it chipped so quickly on me, because I would've been THRILLED to cut down my "go out and get a no-chip manicure" budget.

Any recommendations for a strong base coat and top coat solution that will help the polish stay on my nails (I do a lot of computer) work.  I can't wear any type of gel product as it causes a weird reaction making my fingers burn.

I've used the Nails, Inc Kensington Caviar Combo and had decent results (just wish it was easier to find - buying it on-line gets expensive and the Ulta/Sephora by me usually don't stock it) - I've had lousy results with the Sally Hansen base/top coats and Hard As Nails product.

GaT - you're giving me nail envy!  And I always want to change your name to G&T for Gin & Tonic.  Of course, the "a" works in that too!

My name actually stands for Ginandtonic. That was my original name on TWoP, but then I got banned, so I opened up a new account as GaT & just kept the name when I came over here. 

• Love 2

I am wearing clear right now because I did my own nails.  I cannot, for the life of me give myself a good looking manicure!  I also can't wear very "showy" colours on my hands without feeling guilty.  Sorry, strict private, university prep school dress codes are so ingrained I still can't make myself wear anything red/dark/weird colours/nail art more than 15 years after graduation. 

• Love 1

I just discovered nail polish strips and I love them.  I also am absolutely horrible at doing my nails, and the strips have eliminated the mess and length of time to dry/smudging.  I foolishly followed the link posted by GaT above and bought just about everything on their sale page; very nice selection of colors and designs.  I am definitely a more natural nail color polish person, but I am digging some of the designs.

Don't feel bad luckyroll3, you should see the pile of packages of strips I have just waiting to be used. Plus, I bought 3 more Sally Hansen ones of strips I used before & really liked last night.

I tried shellac gel for the first time last year (someone else's treat). I use to do my own nails and toe nails a lot, but I have become lazy and I cook/bake more now. I definitely would do gel on my toes again, but my hand nails grow so quickly that after about a week, it's very noticeable. It's not cost effective for me to do gel on my hand nails, but for holidays or a treat, I'd get a pedicure and gel.

I never got into gel polish. After a week I'm sick of whatever I'm wearing on my fingers & I always change it. Gel just doesn't makes sense for me. I've also heard it's really drying to your nails if you keep it on for long periods of time.

• Love 1

I love gel since they're not wet when leaving the salon, and it lasts. But, then you have to go back to the salon or use acetone to remove it. Then, for me, my nails look absolutely horrible if I ever stop putting polish on them. So...I'm stopping a while. I prefer to just do it for trips or an event.

• Love 1