Type keyword(s) to search

Nail Polish: What Colour Are You Wearing?

• Start Topic

(edited)

I really need to get rid of my (new) nail lady.  Three times now, the polish has only lasted one day.  I don't get it.  I've used the same brand with other nail techs before and it's always lasted a week or so.  She's even screwed up Shellac!  Maybe I should go to a new salon, just to avoid seeing her.  I don't know why I keep on going back.  My old nail tech only works weekends now that she's a mom and is always booked.

Edited by PRgal
4 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

That Sarcophagus is a fantastic color!  I want it in an eyeshadow.

The opalescent effect of the Shift + Shimmer lacquers is gorgeous.

I ordered two of their Mystery Boxes this year: I got one last year -- 2 metallic (acid green, navy blue), 1 black glitter, and 2 Shift + Shimmer (purple, Grackle blue) -- and was not disappointed. I sent a Thanks for the Cool Mystery Box! Email and they sent me a very nice You're Welcome return Email with a 25% off coupon on my next purchase.

If you have a Sephora near you, check out their Make Up For Ever section for their metallic and shimmer finish eyeshadows -- Pigment rich, easy to blend and long-lasting.

Amy's Makeup Box on YouTube has an informative tutorial using glitter eyeshadow with Cargo Top Coat Glitter Liner as a glue to stick on the glitter and seal it, to keep the glitter from flaking. The Glitter Injections product she used looks like fun to play with.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Gel manis are no joke. That shit is almost 3 wks no chip

Yep. Recently had one first the first time, I think it stayed on for more than 4 weeks with no chips.

The only bummer is that I don't like the way it has to be removed (all that scraping...). But I'll do it again.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, NutMeg said:

thanks,  I had never heard of it.

I hadnt until recently either. I was reading a couple months old thread on guru gossip trashing Nikkitutorials titled "NikkiDragtorials: the power of cake up"  and several users swore by it saying it strengthened their nails and they grew healthy, shiny, longer in about 2 months. 

My mom has tried the japenese manicure and it is working. 

Today I'm doing a rich berry shade. I usually don't go for reds or pinks. I do blues often mints neutrals. I'm so cool toned those colors draw me instinctively....plus I wear bold lips and don't like shades that look like lipstick shades on my nails since it looks like a Matching Fail. 

Ooh! I did not know this was here. I don't think I've mentioned it elsewhere but I (semi-regularly) maintain a nail polish blog (as well as beauty and whatever else I feel like posting about, but it tends to be very nail polish based). So I have a lot of opinions and I own way more polish than any human being needs. I should really toss a lot of it because it's probably expired or about to expire. But I have this fantasy in my head that I'll start filming nail art tutorials. I tried writing nail art posts but it was too much work for too little traffic. I think I've pretty much tried all the colors and textures. I'm down for a pretty glitter once in a while but I'm happy with a good creme. It baffles me that there are still so many bad to average formulas on the market though.

Anyway, I'm wearing Korres Cyclamen right now but I'm about to take it off. 

Any good colors @Lisin? I tried Julep once, maybe 2-3 polishes but the formulas were so bad I thought... never again!

My favorites tend to just be Essie or OPI, I think because I prefer a thinner more fluid formula. Zoya creeps in there too though I find them more hit or miss... but they have the bonus of usually having some kind of promo. Right now my nails are bare but I'm going to be applying a Ricky's polish soon. Self promo but if anyone's interested in what polish I'm wearing I've started doing this Instagram thing where I try and photograph my nails in an interesting place every week or so. https://www.instagram.com/dashesofinsanity/

10 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Any good colors @Lisin? I tried Julep once, maybe 2-3 polishes but the formulas were so bad I thought... never again!

I really like them! There's a TON of variety, I tend towards more silvery or, for some reason I really like an orangish nail... but they have tons of colors and most are what I would consider unusual. I also like the formula though, it dries fast and goes on smooth which is kind of all I ask for. I will say I stopped swatching because I think opening them makes the polish goop up faster than normal? Because they're 5 free so I think they get gloppy faster than OPI etc. if that makes sense. But I've still never had a problem with them. I sound like a Julep shill! I promise I'm not! But if you want to try some send me your address and colors you like and I'll send you some. I just have SO MANY and I haven't even done my nails in like 4 months so they're going to go bad before I can get through them all! 

• Love 1

@Lisin I'm really glad you said this since I thought I was the only one who thought polishes expire, imo faster than people think. There's hacks I've heard to de-gunk or thin them but I noticed color changes as well. Nail polish I think expires or evolves faster than a lot of cosmetics.

They say powder shadows are good for a year and unless people hit pan or shattered ain't nobody throwing out palettes in 12 months; it's powder. Mascara I think probably shitty after a year. Fiber ones once opened and used probably have a 6 months at full power if you're lucky.  Eyeliner could dry out, in fact, my Marc Jacobs the last 25% did which pissed me off since it was good.

• Love 1

I'm a bit of a hoarder, at least when it comes to polish. I like having a big collection on the few occasions I feel like doing nail art. I'd rather reach for polish that mix acrylic paints. My philosophy is basically... if I can shake it up (when it's separated) it's fine. If the colors won't blend or it dries up, it gets tossed. 

Mascara is only supposed to be for 2-3 months. But mascara usually doesn't work for me so I'm not using it everyday. Sometimes I'll stretch it to 4 or 6 months but if it starts getting that toxic gasoline smell, it gets tossed. A year is WAY too long to keep a mascara if you're using it frequently. You want to be careful with bacteria around your eyes. 

• Love 2

The only mascaras I use Better than Sex and They're Real is in the deluxe sample/travel sizes. I find this coats the wand with product differently than when you use the same product in full size. It also suits me because then they are done in 2 or 3 monthes also I can purchase back ups and I'm not pissed if I lose one. I have a couple full size mascaras I used once and don't like. 

I think Neons and pinks in nail polish show the color change and change in thickness of product fastest. Neons and shades of blue nail polish are my favorite. I love watching collection videos and there's a youtuber who barely posts anymore Lisa Polished Elegance who knows a lot about nail art and brands and shades (i.e. Best Reds, Fave Metallics lists, best OPI collections etc). I think collection videos on makeup or perfumes or jewelry collections are so relaxing. 

I tried out some discontinued Sephora nail stickers. Let's just say I know why they were discontinued. I'm going to take some photos and then take them off and switch to a nice red polish. 

I'm still into ILNP. Wearing Interstellar right now. I got their limited edition Magician and probably going to try it next.

Does anyone have a solution for peeling nails? The Polish tends to chip and peel off my tips, I'm not sure if it's my nails or am I doing something wrong with polishing? 

I have a problem with chipping, no matter what type of polish I'm wearing. And it's not because my nails are too long, I keep them cut short. I think I need a better top coat. I use Sally Hansen's Dries Instantly top coat, which does as its name implies, but doesn't seem to be very hard or long lasting (that's what she said, lol).

• Love 2

Do you apply that top coat over still wet nails or the dried down colored  nail varnish? 

The sally Hansen top coats (and bunch other stuff) are half price at my work so I'll buy whatever y'all recommend. 

I hate the Sally Hansen top coats. They've never worked for me. Actually, they mess up my nails whenever I try them... even if they're already dry.

I was a Seche Vite fan for YEARS. I still am, but I'm a hoarder and I don't like wasting money on bottles that are full of bubbles and get thick before I've used half the bottle. And their thinner does not work at all. So I've switched over to Poshe and it's a pretty good substitute. I think I also have a CND one around here somewhere but I haven't felt the need to break it out yet. This bottle of Poshe has lasted me a while. 

I'm not sure about chipping or tip wear. If you read my reviews, you'll see that I rarely experience it. I've gotten it a little lately but those were two Ricky's polishes so I think the formula just doesn't hold up very well or I've been harder on my hands lately (cooking, washing dishes, working with clay, etc.). Use good polish brands. Read reviews from helpful blogs that will tell you which polishes hold up the best. ;) Wrap the tips of your nails. Use a good top coat. I don't know if this would make a difference but it seems like a lot of people do two coats of polish. I usually do three thin coats and give the polish a lot of time to dry in between. I find that when I do 3 coats it usually holds up better than when I do 2. 

Manicure - Gelish "Manga-Round w Me"

Pedicure - OPI "Cha Ching Cherry"

I had a pedicure once, out of town, years ago...with a sparkly silvery polish. Hard to describe, but it was REALLY sparkly. Loved it. Looked awesome w sandals, tan feet/legs etc

Could I ever find it? Nope! I called the salon a few times and they gave me a few names, but none were it. Im about to pull the trigger on a few from PolishedForDays (To the Moon and Back Collection) and/or something by DifferentDimension.  If anyone has a suggestion though, for what Im describing - let me know! :)

Edited by Kelly
(edited)

I used to only paint my toes and only in a deep brownish red and never pearl or glitter. Rimmel Celebrity Bash was my go to for years. I kept my hand nails natural but nice because I didn't like the feel of the weight of the polish (yes I noticed that) and because I use my hands as tools. Nails are screw drivers and putty knives right? 

Well I got married recently and splurged on a gel polish French mani for my hands and my first professional regular pedicure ever. I have always pampered my own feet. The French gel polish lasted only 4 days before lifting but it did what I wanted it to do which was pretty nails for my wedding.  I self-soaked the polish off, thank you nail bloggers for the info, and found my nails seemed thin from the buffing the nail tech did, but I liked having them polished and I decided to start dressing up my hands.

I'm doing baby steps so after several intensive home oil treatments and daily oil care everything is looking pretty darn good, I'm even wearing gloves when I wash dishes for heaven's sake. Nails are still thin but they will grow out eventually. Yesterday I bought OPI's Aphrodite's Pink Nightie, my first pearl polish and I am loving it. I'm hoping polishing will also help give the nails some strength as the buffed part grows out and also stop a nail that last year started constantly splitting in one spot only (biotin supplements didn't help).

So far I'm loving it!

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 1
On 4/1/2017 at 2:38 PM, emma675 said:

I have a problem with chipping, no matter what type of polish I'm wearing. And it's not because my nails are too long, I keep them cut short. I think I need a better top coat. I use Sally Hansen's Dries Instantly top coat, which does as its name implies, but doesn't seem to be very hard or long lasting (that's what she said, lol).

I've had the same problem for many years.  I've tried almost everything and the only thing that works is a professional application of acrylic or gel.  Even if a salon paints them carefully, it will peel or chip.  I mean, even with no water touching the polish, it will come off within hours!  I have been told that my oil bed on my nail is oily and that is the problem.  Anyone heard this before?  It would explain it.  It doesn't happen that way to my toenails, though.  Regular Polish stays there, even after bathing and swimming.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I have a job where people are going to see my hands so after ages I was finally motivated to paint them so they'd look presentable and I wouldn't have to obsess about dirt under my fingernails. I'm wearing Essie's Status Symbol which is a great go-to bright pink. I own a lot of other pinks in the same range but this one is the lightest without being neon. The others are darker and veer more towards red or magenta. Also, I didn't want to take notes for a review so i just chose a polish I've already used so I could paint it on quickly. 

@SunnyBeBe I've never heard of the oily nail bed thing but I don't work in a salon. I'm pretty much dry all over. Dry skin, dry nails, etc. And I've never had a problem with chipping polish. My tips for at home would be washing your hands, but then waiting until the nails are dry. The soaking they do in the salon is a bad idea. Then when you're ready to paint, swipe a cotton bud/pad with some of your nail polish remover over the nail. Then paint. And use a good polish and good top coat. Generally the Essie/OPI $8 range is good enough for me (though of course there are some exceptions as with any brand). I like the Seche Vite or Poshe kind of base coats that really seal things in... none of that Sally Hansen BS. Hope that helps!

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 2
(edited)

Thanks Aradia22, I will take your suggestion.  I used to get tips for many years, but, gave it up to take a break.  I liked the break so well, that I stopped getting tips.  Now, I just paint them occasionally.  Now, I'm in the mood for a nice color.  I've read about what others are doing.  Funny, that I never can see myself in a blue or green.  I'm more of a pink or tangerine person.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
On 4/1/2017 at 11:38 AM, emma675 said:

Try Revlon's Quick Dry Topcoat and their Liquid Quick Dry. They work like a charm for me. Hope this info helps!

On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 1:58 PM, Giselle said:

but nice because I didn't like the feel of the weight of the polish (yes I noticed that)

I feel that too on my fingers, toes are fine, it almost feels like they are suffocating. Because of that I am interested in something I just heard about Halal nail Polish that is "Breathable". and was wondering if anyone has tried it.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I feel that too on my fingers, toes are fine, it almost feels like they are suffocating. Because of that I am interested in something I just heard about Halal nail Polish that is "Breathable". and was wondering if anyone has tried it.

Mmmm might have to search that out. I must say the first two days of wearing gel polish I noticed "the weight" of wearing polish, the next few days after that not so much. Mind you I never polished my nails and  when I did, it was taken off after a few hours because of the breathability and weight issue.

I've polished my fingernails with regular polish since having the gel polish for my wedding. I still "feel" the weight and suffocation at times.  While I don't mind certain colors I like the clean look of a french manicure on my fingers best.

If I continue to polish them I'd like to learn to do gel french at home. I can't stand chipped or worn nail polish and I use my hands as tools.

Tootsies are sporting Orly Bus Stop. Fingers are natural at the moment.

I'm facinated by the nail art on the internet, some of it is beautiful, but it's not my personal aesthetic. Who knows I might get bolder with artistic manies as time goes on.

HELP! Special request time! I was at my friends house and painted my nails with one of her old OPI polishes and the sticker with the nail on the bottom was gone and she can't remember the name. It's OPI and a light pink peach nude and almost translucent, almost sheer, not matte or too shiny. Very natural and pretty. I thought it was Mimosas for Mr and Mrs but that's too opaque and pink. Any guesses? 

I just bought some CND Solar Oil Nail & Cuticle Conditioner this week when I tripped across it in the drugstore.  My fingernails tend to get weaker after I put on nail polish - more peeling, breaking, etc....plus they get easily discolored if I use anything darker than an extremely light pink.  As such, I usually go without polish and thought maybe this stuff might help.  My toenails are ridiculously healthy and never have any of the problems that happen with polish on my fingernails.  Once I got home and googled it, I found something called CND RescueRXx which is a keratin treatment at double the price of the Solar Oil.

Anyone have experience with this stuff?