Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, twoods said:

It’s obvious how the story will go, so it will suck to see Ethan Peck getting dumped. Love seeing Bonnie from The Vampire Diaries. Can’t wait to watch it.

Thought the same. Why do we need a love triangle?? Ugh. He needs to be in his own movie then where he gets the girl. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, kirinan said:

It does! I really need to get Netflix sometime soon, because I believe you all mentioned a couple of interesting holiday movies from there last year.

I think it's worth it! They do indeed feature a few movies that pop up on other channels like the two connected movies from Aspire Tv (I think it was) Miss Me This Christmas and You Can't Fight Christmas which have been on there for a while. Holiday Engagement is still on there plus Dear Santa, The Spirit of Christmas, and the aforementioned Netflix originals from last year. I'm glad they kept them there for a long while.

18 hours ago, Crs97 said:

That looks awesome!  Looks like something Hallmark might have made years ago before it became paint by numbers.

So true haha

44 minutes ago, twoods said:

It’s obvious how the story will go, so it will suck to see Ethan Peck getting dumped. Love seeing Bonnie from The Vampire Diaries. Can’t wait to watch it.

Yeah, I was really into how cute they meshed but we certainly know how it will end. I guess the real question is what's the defining moment that will change her mind.

Here's another Netflix original movie for the season premiering next Thurs. May be a short one for the kiddies. Kind of reminds me of the Jingle and Bell animated movies that I hope Hallmark shows this year.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81009286

Not a big fan of Jessica Lowndes (and the plot of her movie is very "been there seen that"), so i'll probably skip this week's Hallmark outing. Also, it's not even Halloween yet, so Hallmark will have to wait.

• Love 1
On 10/26/2018 at 7:43 AM, mikeb said:

I just commented on the Hallmark Movie forum about "The Christmas Secret" and "The Christmas Note" which are airing on HMM channel this afternoon.  They are both based on books by Donna VanLiere who also wrote the books that "The Christmas Shoes" and "The Christmas Blessing" are based on.    Guessing you would not be a fan of those either, if you have seen them.

I actually love “The Christmas Note,” and “ The Christmas Secret.”  I hate the shoes movie because of the song. I hate the blessing movie because of the kid dying. If a child or dog/cat dies, I automatically hate it. I watch Hallmark movies for happy escapism. 

Edited by Veronica
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

Not a big fan of Jessica Lowndes (and the plot of her movie is very "been there seen that"), so i'll probably skip this week's Hallmark outing. Also, it's not even Halloween yet, so Hallmark will have to wait.

I’m so with you about Jessica Lowndes. Such a boring actress.  I fell asleep Halfway through and I’m not going to bother watching the second half.

• Love 1
On October 28, 2018 at 4:52 AM, Koalagirl said:

I’m so with you about Jessica Lowndes. Such a boring actress.  I fell asleep Halfway through and I’m not going to bother watching the second half.

I can't tell her apart from Meghan Ory.  Although Meghan Ory seems to have more facial expressions.

I know that titles are technically limited because of the season, but jesum peace, it feels like these movies are all called the same thing.

Is it me or are there a lot of royalty-themed movies? "A Royal Christmas", "A Princess For Christmas", etc. And in light of the real life Royal wedding, they seem to be really pushing those.

How bad was the budget for "A Royal Christmas"?. The guy is supposed to be. . . royalty, yet everything looked so cheap. The ball looked like something staged in a church auditorium--folding chairs!--and the wedding was ridiculously small.

Conversely, everyone else in these movies seems to live in palatial places they could never afford in real life.

Edited by Camille

I wonder if it's the royal wedding or the fact that Hallmark is jonesing for Netflix's spot with their royal movie (which has a royal wedding sequel this year ha). It was all over social media and publications where Hallmark's sorta slipped under the radar. This year they seem to be super ramping it up with all the tie-ins and magazine articles so they may be trying to get that social media wave.

Speaking of rivals, I saw an early promo from Up via a survey that I hope makes the light of day. Basically the gist was "are you tired of the same old cookie cutter christmas movies with the same storylines only with different actors year after year"? All of this said while showing bland undecorated cookie cutouts. It was clear who they were coming for and even asked "do you think this promo was about any specific network"? I lol'd. 

If there are any Chandler family movie fans like myself here, you'll be happy to know that they have a new one this year. Woo hoo! No trailer yet but there should be one soon since it comes out Nov. 11. 

https://www.uptv.com/movies/chandler-christmas-getaway/

image.png.882ee005c49a0175bea87978842b4a07.png

5 hours ago, Camille said:

Conversely, everyone else in these movies seems to live in palatial places they could never afford in real life.

Indubitably! Though I think that's part of the escapist allure of the movies. Still, I can't help but side-eye them when the lead is a writer who writes like one book a year and spends most of their time, well, not writing.

I do agree they need to up the ante on some of their in-movie set decorations. 

Edited by MissyPoo
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

Basically the gist was "are you tired of the same old cookie cutter christmas movies with the same storylines only with different actors year after year"? All of this said while showing bland undecorated cookie cutouts.

That's hysterical considering that one of the Hallmark Channel movies is titled "A Cookie Cutter Christmas".

Though it's rather "same storylines, SAME actors".

I'm probably not going to watch any other channel's marathons because I'm sure I'll overdose, but I appreciate that they at least remember that non-white people exist.

• Love 2

Haha that's right! I almost forgot about that one (not at all on my faves list). 

I agree. They must have seen Lifetime and the other channels already in with the times and what a huge demographic they were ignoring. Now they need to recognize mixed couples can lead some of these movies, too. Lifetime et. al are still ahead there.

Don't overdose just yet though! Hehe. Some of the other channels have some potentially good stuff coming up.

Lifetime's Christmas section is finally live: https://www.mylifetime.com/its-a-wonderful-lifetime

And look who entered the whole "movie preview show" arena.

I just realized Thanksgiving weekend belongs to Tatyana this year. A Hallmark Hall of Fame movie on Saturday and a Lifetime premiere on Sunday. Move over DJ Tanner.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MissyPoo said:

Don't overdose just yet though! Hehe. Some of the other channels have some potentially good stuff coming up.

Unfortunately, I went into sugar shock just from reading the listings on my TV Guide.

• Love 1

That’s a crapload of movies that Lifetime is churning out. There aren’t enough hours to go through all these movies!

Im sort of excited about the one with Hilarie Burton because there will be a mini One Tree Hill reunion with Robert Buckley.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, twoods said:

That’s a crapload of movies that Lifetime is churning out. There aren’t enough hours to go through all these movies!

At least five of the movies are kind of oldish.  They're usually promoted as "premiering" vs. "world premiering" but that isn't a 100% indicator as there are others that say "premiering" that are from 2018.

• Love 1

W channel here in Ontario started airing Christmas movies today.  I got all cosied up to watch Journey Back to Christmas and lo and behold they were not showing Journey Back to Christmas as advertised but Rocky Mountain Christmas instead.  I coped admirably but come on W channel you messed up with the FIRST MOVIE out of the gate.  This does not bode well.  I usually tape my Christmas addictions so if I can't count on them well I hope a few schedulers get coal in their stockings this year!

Edited by Homily
  • Love 2

Dang. Sorry to hear, Homily. If it's any consolation, Hallmark Channel has been deleting movies late at night. I was watching Holiday Engagement and backed out to the menu to continue on the tv from my tablet and found it gone from the schedule where it was between two movies. It's like it never existed. I hope you're able to watch it later.

If anyone has Netflix, Christmas movies are in half full swing. And it looks like Harlequin Christmas movies are a thing now. I just spotted Christmas With a View in my suggested menu: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8041006/ 

image.png.2356209440026983a2bd5e37761526ae.png

There's also Hometown Holiday: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8659750

image.png.5c850500c11ee40f34ec84afd72c4dcf.png

Christmas With a Prince: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8667202

image.png.0d70f348bcd0c3fa2f6da187e2cb5876.png

These things are like my drug of choice cause I'm lining up to watch every one of these crazy flicks.

Oh! Also, I know there were some Holiday in Handcuffs fans here. I just spotted it over at Hulu: https://www.hulu.com/movie/holiday-in-handcuffs

• Love 5

Time is taking its toll.  I ended up watching the movie that was on instead of the movie that was listed so saw Rocky Mountain Christmas and just realized one of the actors in it was Treat Williams.  I remember him as one of the dishy leads in Hair.  In this movie he plays Uncle Roy the elderly voice of wisdom.  Sigh.  Ah well.

Edited by Homily
  • Love 3

I just had the bright idea to check the W Channel online and got the actual schedule.  It means unless my cable provider smartens up that the titles on my PVR will be misleading but at least I can tape the holiday movies I want to tape!  So, so stupid though!

• Love 1

I couldn't wait to watch The Holiday Calendar the moment it went live. Freakin' loved it! I watched it like twice already and will probably be seeing it again soon. It was too cute for words. I need Ethan Peck to be in another movie where he gets the girl. Preferably with Antoinette Robertson as his leading lady. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Homily said:

I just had the bright idea to check the W Channel online and got the actual schedule.  It means unless my cable provider smartens up that the titles on my PVR will be misleading but at least I can tape the holiday movies I want to tape!  So, so stupid though!

I'm having the same problem and I thank you for your brilliant idea!  I just hope my cable provider smartens up too and we don't have to deal with this for the whole Christmas season!  I don't get the Hallmark Channel so the W Channel is my best source.

Edited by CherryAmes

Ok I've enjoyed the Christmas movies I've seen so far but I have one question -- why do most of these people live in downright palatial homes?  In Christmas Connection for instance the lead guy is a newspaper reporter.  The house he lives in could be on millionaire row in my town!  Somehow I don't think reporters make THAT much money.  Anyway that's just one example.  It seems like anytime they show someone's house, whether that's the lead or the lead's sister or best friend or whoever the house seems way out of proportion to what they should reasonably be expected to live in.   I can think of some exceptions of course.  But not many!

• Love 5
On 11/4/2018 at 12:51 PM, CherryAmes said:

Ok I've enjoyed the Christmas movies I've seen so far but I have one question -- why do most of these people live in downright palatial homes?  In Christmas Connection for instance the lead guy is a newspaper reporter.  The house he lives in could be on millionaire row in my town!  Somehow I don't think reporters make THAT much money.  Anyway that's just one example.  It seems like anytime they show someone's house, whether that's the lead or the lead's sister or best friend or whoever the house seems way out of proportion to what they should reasonably be expected to live in.   I can think of some exceptions of course.  But not many!

A lot of it is just convenience. These films typically film in Vancouver and Toronto. I definitely know that there are a couple of properties that are always available to rent as locations. If you own a property that is essentially only used to film commercials, tv, or movies, it's better to own something big so that set designers can make it smaller with false walls or placement of the camera than try to make  a small space bigger.

Furthermore, there has always been an aspirational aspect in all of these films, even when the protagonist starts the film being dissatisfied. You'll see them complaining about their crappy job and apartment. As a viewer, you wonder how crappy could it possibly be? The protagonist dresses really well and usually has enough time during work to gossip with their pals only to return home to an apartment with a kitchenaid stand mixer and espresso machine on the countertop. All of which the viewer sees as the protagonist is on the phone with the same friend that she was gossiping with at work. While she's talking, she's busy pouring herself a big glass of Lonely Lady Chardonnay.

Finally, these films have miniscule budgets and super tight filming schedules. I think they largely use whichever locations are available during their timeframe. Whenever we see a small apartment or house it's almost always a set repurposed from some other tv show or movie.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4

Finally saw Journey Back to Christmas and I enjoyed it but I don't understand the paranoia!  One of the townspeople was just over the top crazy suspicious and mean.  I guess they needed to have some tension but come on!  I kept waiting for her to start cackling and fly off on a broomstick!

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Homily said:

I guess they needed to have some tension but come on!  I kept waiting for her to start cackling and fly off on a broomstick!

But then we wouldn't have had the scene near the end where she sees the light and if she doesn't quite believe she calms the hell down!  I watched this the other day and on the whole I liked it - I can see myself putting it in my "watching this at Christmas" rotation.  But like most time travel movies it raises questions that will never be answered.  Best just to enjoy it for what it is :).  

• Love 2

I saw Journey Back to Christmas last year and enjoyed it.  I've liked most of Candace Cameron Bure's holiday movies.  Not so keen on that Switched for Christmas one (or whatever it was called) and I don't see that one n the schedule here so far. The one she was in I really  liked was called A Christmas Detour.  I'm not seeing that one scheduled so far either.  I guess the problem is there are so many Christmas movies and not enough air time,  But honestly in these days of PVRs is there any reason why they keep showing the same movies over and over again?  Can't they show a larger selection less often?  Or does that not make sense?

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

I saw Journey Back to Christmas last year and enjoyed it.  I've liked most of Candace Cameron Bure's holiday movies.  Not so keen on that Switched for Christmas one (or whatever it was called) and I don't see that one n the schedule here so far. The one she was in I really  liked was called A Christmas Detour.  I'm not seeing that one scheduled so far either.  I guess the problem is there are so many Christmas movies and not enough air time,  But honestly in these days of PVRs is there any reason why they keep showing the same movies over and over again?  Can't they show a larger selection less often?  Or does that not make sense?

I think it's been on about 2 or 3 times already. Not quite sure because it's one I also skipped whenever I saw it.

Unfortunately I don't get the Hallmark Channel, not sure if that's unique to my area or if most Canadian markets don't carry it.  I get my Hallmark movie fix from the W Channel.  I'm going to check again and see if it's on their schedule and I missed seeing it.

Yeah I'm another Canuck who doesn't get the Hallmark Channel.  All is not lost though BlossomCulp, I noticed that the W Network schedule is only a week ahead so there's a very good change that movies not being highlighted right now might still show up.  Just need to keep checking!

• Love 1

Not sure whether this list is complete, but the following website has a list of Christmas movies being shown on W Network  https://www.wnetwork.com/shows/ with links to future show dates.   It looks like it a mix of movies that appear on either the Hallmark Channel or the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries Channel (aka HMM), which probably explains why some movies that appear on one Hallmark channel or the other are missing on W Network.

ETA:  It is interesting the list on W Network website includes some of the new 2018 Hallmark and HMM movies, but is missing the new Candace Cameron Bure "A Shoe Addict's Christmas",  the new Lacey Chabert "Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe", and "Marrying Father Christmas" which has been heavily promo-ed on the Hallmark channels, among others.   I am sure there are financial and licensing considerations involved.

Edited by mikeb

Is the Super Channel available anywhere near you guys in Canada? I notice they have a lot of Hallmark and other channel stuff in their upcoming lineup: https://www.superchannel.ca/hhchristmas

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I watched UP's new movie The Christmas Switch last night and I liked it.  The actresses were really good and it felt more well rounded than many Hallmark movies these days.

I wish I could've seen this. Up is kind of wonky on Sling. :-/ I'm eager to see it more now that you've given it the thumbs up.

23 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

Just a quick drive-by post, because I wasn't sure if this had been shared (I didn't see it, at a quick glance).    The ION network finally put out their list of Christmas movies, and there are 6 this year instead of the usual 5 they give us -

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/11/05/1645012/0/en/ION-Television-set-to-Bring-the-Holidays-Home-With-Six-All-New-Movie-Premieres.html

6 is doable for me.  I like that the ION movies seem more open minded about featuring leads that are over 40 that have real adult problems.  A lot of the Hallmark movie channel leads are over 40, but act like they're 25 thus not realistic.

I know where I'll be once a week (plus, I get ION on my antenna :)

• Love 2

Just finished Holiday Calendar on Netflix and loved it! Ethan Peck needs to be a regular leading man.  The two leads had lots of chemistry, and the dialogue was so natural.  Loved the grandfather (William of This is Us fame).  Nice job on that one!

• Love 3

So yes, Crs97! I'm thinking about watching it again tonight for a treat. :-) There was talk on Twitter about their being a sequel and I hope they do one for next season. 

Vanessa Hudgens's prince and the pauper movie has a trailer now and I'm so here for it. It already looks super cute and I'm digging the actors. I think I even spotted Fergus from Crown for Christmas! Not sure if he is a baddie or not but I'm definitely checking this one out. Premieres next Friday woo hoo!

ETA: Not sure if this is a fluke, but it looks like one can stream some classics for free via the Freeform website. I just watched 12 Dates of Christmas and now I'm on one of my absolute faves, Snowglobe. They also have The Mistle-Tones (up next for me), the Snow movies and Christmas Cupid. I don't know if this is free for a day or a while but I'm taking advantage now. :-)

Edited by MissyPoo
  • Love 7