Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, nilyank said:

AS was a normal sized teen girl with the normal amount of baby fat. They had characters like Lucas and Alan (her rapist) nitpick on weight but I think that they were the only ones who did.

I was more offended by the viewing audience who would call her Spami because at the end of the day, AS was still a child who was being degraded because of the character that she played on tv. 

She was a normal size girl, but, Hollywood, has other standards, of, what is beautiful.  Standards that are unrealistic.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

She was a normal size girl, but, Hollywood, has other standards, of, what is beautiful.  Standards that are unrealistic.

She was chubby but at other times in the same period she was thinner..i think she, herself, suffered from bulimia at this time..

7 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Wow! I never knew that she suffered from bulimia..

I am not sure she was really specific but she wrote on a book, a sort of biography, she had problems for a long time with food..particularly when she was a teenager..She talked about it several times after that when she was the Biggest Loser show host.

Edited by pau
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, pau said:

I am not sure she was really specific but she wrote on book, a sort of biography, she had problems for a long time with food..particularly when she was a teenager..She talked about it several times after that when she was the Biggest Loser show host.

I remember her saying that she lost the baby weight for herself and not for anybody.  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I remember her saying that she lost the baby weight for herself and not for anybody.  

She explained when asked about healthy food and exercises how for a long time she had problems with food, how to handle it therefore problems with weight and finally instead of hard diets then relapse..She finally understood she had to do it for herself, to be healthy and not for the pressure of her environment (Hollywood standards..) and not in a drastic way.

She also talked how she could go on junk food binges..when she was a teenager..so i think it was bulimia..

Edited by pau
  • Love 1

I love Lumi together.  "If you want a pat on the back you called the wrong ex wife."

I like that Eve is backing off on pissing off Maggie.  Even though she got rid of her Hummels, she did let her keep the sofa after realizing that Maggie did the decorating.

I'm surprised Paul agreed to help Brady.  I guess he just needs something to do to take his mind off things.

It might help if Eric explained the convoluted back story of Sami seeing John and Marlena having sex.  He also might have told Will that he caught Sami and EJ having sex while she was with Rafe.

"I went to Paris, not a yurt in Mongolia."

Paul should not have told Brady about Will kissing him.

Aw, Lucas and Maggie at the end. Wow.

Great ending, all the way around.

• Love 3

I loved this ep. Everything had me interested and entertained.

25 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I love Lumi together.  "If you want a pat on the back you called the wrong ex wife."

Same. I loved everything about those scenes. That line was perfect.

Brady's, "Sonny is really dumb," or whatever had me rolling. I watched it multiple times.

• Love 3

Today really magnified the fact that Paul has no real friends to turn to when he's in crisis.

Brady is his brother, and I was pleased to see him take a few minutes to let Paul vent and offered him support and love, but at the same time he is also the cousin to Paul's now former fiance. John is his dad, but also Will's step-grandfather and connected in numerous ways to the Horton and Brady famines. Belle is his sister but again, she is just as close to all the other players and really wouldn't be the best person to have a unbiased opinion about things. Even Gabby is out because of her ties to Will and Sonny, and the baby girl they all share.

I am merely guessing here, but all things considered I could definitely see a bar in Paul's near future which leads to a night of drowning his sorrows and getting stinking drunk and if he were to run into a equally fed up and emotionally drained Will, sick of all the drama of trying to become the "real Will" everyone else is desperate for him to be, I could see some mutually agreed upon mattress tag going down pretty soon thereafter. To which I would say: yes please, and make it a double.

For some reason Ron is really having everyone fumble the heck out of their "hey, Will, guess what crappy thing you did that totally makes you just like your mother!" moments to get the kid to warm up to Sami. Everything he's heard has either made it seem like he's a selfish a-hole or he's a deranged almost murderer, good job family. How about we work on not convincing the kid that his former self was a total psycho?

Sami and Lucas had fantastic scenes. Again, Alison's chemistry with Bryan is really obvious and beautiful, even though their characters' have such volatile history. Watching them, I really can see how these are two people who have spent over two decades working on the same show, building a rich bond that shows through on such a deep, genuine level. Good stuff.

Victor's sharp quips will always amuse me. I just wish John wasn't looking so frail and unsteady. He is almost always sitting down now in his scenes.

Sonny is being quite annoying. As if he's on a mission to make Will his again like a throphy hunter of sorts. Cool your jets there, buckaroo. Will is a human being, not a wayward mustang you need to tame.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, CPP83 said:

For some reason Ron is really having everyone fumble the heck out of their "hey, Will, guess what crappy thing you did that totally makes you just like your mother!" moments to get the kid to warm up to Sami. Everything he's heard has either made it seem like he's a selfish a-hole or he's a deranged almost murderer, good job family

I have always thought Will was selfish asshole.

I do like the Sami and Eric scenes. Even when she is spiraling, Eric is the one sibling that she has never betrayed. Whether it is because he is her twin or they spent the most time together in their childhood, she has always been closest to him and most protective of all her siblings.

• Love 3

Agreed with the love shown for the Sami/Lucas scenes.  They were my favorites ones of the day.  Alison and Bryan just have it as scene partners.  They've never lost it.  Also liked the end with Maggie.

Second-favorite scenes were the Paul/Brady scenes.  Although Brady initially came to get Paul to help him out with something, it was good seeing him let Paul lean on him about his breakup with Sonny.  And yes, calling Sonny dumb was a bonus.  At least this provides some hope that the writers are pro-Paul and Sonny with Brady and Victor's reactions to the breakup.

I can't imagine the writers want us to root for Sonny to get back with Will the way the show's being presented.  Because yes, Sonny is acting like he's entitled to Will.  It's bugging me severely.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Sami and Lucas are good as friends.  I'll take that since I know if they were ever reunited as a couple, Corday would just ruin it in the worst possible way.

5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Brady's, "Sonny is really dumb," or whatever had me rolling. I watched it multiple times.

If there is anyone who knows about being dumb, it would be Brady.  Physician heal thyself.

44 minutes ago, Cirrus LaMark said:

Agreed with the love shown for the Sami/Lucas scenes.  They were my favorites ones of the day.  Alison and Bryan just have it as scene partners.  They've never lost it.  Also liked the end with Maggie.

Alison and Bryan are good friends, and have been for years.  I think that is one of the reasons they work so well together.

At least, Sami finally admitted to Will she was wrong and making things worse.  I don't know why the writers feel the need to go to such extremes with Sami when they know Alison is only visiting, and won't be around for all the fall out and consequences.  Sami's right though her other children need her.

• Love 5

Loved every minute of Friday's episode.  

I really, really felt so bad for Paul.   Like someone stated above it would be great if he met someone totally new.  It would be a hoot if Guy Wilson came back to the show as a different character and he and Paul hooked up.  At least the physical chemistry would be guaranteed.   

And I loved Eric's caring for Sami.  I have always loved Eric's character.  He is so caring and supportive but in a I'm not gonna put up with bs and coddle you way.  His smoking good looks don't hurt either.  

Edited by A.J.
typo
  • Love 4

Not much more to add as I agreed and liked all the comments today.

Eve really has no right to redecorate the mansion. Sure, she can remove the figurines, but put them in a box and send them to the basement.  Maggie is right in that she can buy her own house.  There was a bit of a coldness to her in her embracing the Kiriakis way of getting rid of someone who has overstayed his or her welcome. Did like her with Lucas, though. Someone has to help him - at least to get him to want some help.

Sonny, you are not entitled to Will. You had serious issues and problems with him. Do you think that resetting the amnesia button is going to make things wonderful for you? Probably not. The same issues will resurface and you will divorce. Victor is right - stick with Paul - who seems to be a decent man. Do feel a bit sympathetic for Paul - but he needs to be a bit patient and let the chips fall, as they may.

• Love 3

I've been bored with the last two episodes. And now coming here to read all the body shaming  comments is very disappointing.

Women come in all shapes and sizes. Claire, Hope, Sami, Adrienne - they are all beautiful and all look like normal women to me. 

• Love 7

Victor should shut up.  He like Stefano and Andre has no business criticizing anyone.  I wish Sami had put a bullet in all three of their heads.

It looks like Will's SL is headed toward Sonny wants Will, Will wants Paul, and Paul wants Sonny.  If the writers were smart, if Paul shuts down Will, and tells him he's not interested, Will should move on to dating someone completely new.  When Sonny and Paul find out, Will should just explain while he doesn't remember his past, in the present, he doesn't want to be one of those people who tries to browbeat someone into a relationship with them.  He's moving forward.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 7
On 12/7/2017 at 11:01 PM, boes said:

So, basically, Ciara is a badly dressed, hair-tossing, pouty lipped total nutjob.  

Got it.  Thanks, Show.  

And Ron C. is recreating his Days version of the OLTL Buchanan sisters - Ciara is Natalie, Claire is Jessica.  

Worked on that show, hitting the floor on this show like overcooked pasta.

Does this mean that Claire gets to develop a split personality? I go for naming her Blaire, spelled with an e.

The JJ plot is similar to Joey's plot, only I actually care because Casey Moss is actually a talented actor and he can summon more than one or two emotions.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

Victor should shut up.  He like Stefano and Andre has no business criticizing anyone.  I wish Sami had put a bullet in all three of their heads.

It looks like Will's SL is headed toward Sonny wants Will, Will wants Paul, and Paul wants Sonny.  If the writers were smart, if Paul shuts down Will, and tells him he's not interested, Will should move on to dating someone completely new.  When Sonny and Paul find out, Will should just explain while he doesn't remember his past, in the present, he doesn't want to be one of those people who tries to browbeat someone into a relationship with them.  He's moving forward.

Victor has done so many foul things to people over the years. He has a list of victims as long as Stefano's.  He has no room to judge Will or anybody for their misdeeds. 

I think that Will is going to get his memory back, sometime, in 2018. Knowing Ron, he will drag it out to eternity. Those of us, who, suffered through the Jess/Tess/Bess/Wess nonsense, on One Life To Live, know his M.O really well.. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
On 12/8/2017 at 9:12 AM, DisneyBoy said:

Yup. It's sucks because the actor playing Tripp is a total find and he has chemistry with Kayla. I can't stand Steve because of what his story has done to Kayla. She keeps having to apologize for him or swallow her frustration. I don't see him as a good father or husband. I want to, but I can't. And I loathe how this show always has women getting emotionally abused or raped and then makes them stay with the guy who hurt them. Sigh.

I agree with all of this except I have never seen any chemistry between Lucas Adams and Mary Beth Evans, and not for MBE's lack of trying.  LA has never made me think that his character sees Kayla as a person or thinks about her at all, and that is the biggest problem with the story.  She is just a prop for his bullshit "redemption".

Edited by lska
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I've been bored with the last two episodes. And now coming here to read all the body shaming  comments is very disappointing.

Women come in all shapes and sizes. Claire, Hope, Sami, Adrienne - they are all beautiful and all look like normal women to me. 

Definitely not trying to body shame anyone, trust me. But eating disorders are real in this industry and when Claire showed up, she was thin but looked healthy. That is no longer the case and hasn't been for some time. Camera adds ten pounds. Think about that.

I'd rather see actresses with stomachs or wrinkles or grey hair. That can be beautiful too.

Now, was Eve offering to redo the whole Kiriakis mansion? Cause I'd take her up on that. Place looks musty. Maybe she could swing by the DiMansion too and spruce it up.

Seriously, Eve has no reason to hang around that place. Can they stop trying to invent feuds between her and other characters? She could be interesting and nice, you know...

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2
On 11/17/2017 at 3:48 PM, buffynut said:

This is my first time seeing "old Will" and I'm liking him. He seems so much younger than the Guy Wilson version and I can't at all picture Guy in any of these scenes.  

Chandler Massey is 5 years younger than Guy and he's just got a younger look in general. When he left the show to go back to college, he joked that he'll be able to fool people into believing he's still 19 because he's good at acting young.

I remember one of the bitches about Guy's Will is that he just seemed too old for the part.

I've been binging the Will storyline on NBC.com since they found him and it's been pretty great. I'm up to Susan being sent to the hospital after admitting the truth. Not surprised to learn that Sami actually tries to have Ben "kill" Will again in an attempt to get his memory back. I don't see that as character assassination- it's pretty consistent that Sami comes up with this incredibly asinine schemes to get what she wants and then things backfire spectacularly. I mean, come on, this is a woman who dressed up in an incredibly convincing disguise as a man once. Anything's possible with her.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Definitely not trying to body shame anyone, trust me. But eating disorders are real in this industry and when Claire showed up, she was thin but looked healthy. That is no longer the case and hasn't been for some time. Camera adds ten pounds. Think about that.

I'd rather see actresses with stomachs or wrinkles or grey hair. That can be beautiful too.

Now, was Eve offering to redo the whole Kiriakis mansion? Cause I'd take her up on that. Place looks musty. Maybe she could swing by the DiMansion too and spruce it up.

Seriously, Eve has no reason to hang around that place. Can they stop trying to invent feuds between her and other characters? She could be interesting and nice, you know...

Does anyone have PROOF that she has an eating disorder?  Speculation is still body shaming.  Sorry, but it's coming across that way to me at least.

• Love 2
On 12/7/2017 at 11:01 PM, boes said:

So, basically, Ciara is a badly dressed, hair-tossing, pouty lipped total nutjob.  

Little Ciara totally seemed like she would end up a complete nutjob, but more in a cold Gone Girl kind of way. I never bought them trying to make Teen Ciara into a dewey-eyed ingenue. Especially since that actress was stiff as hell.  And again, Little Ciara seemed like she would end up somewhere on the spectrum of sociopath.

Seeing Kate refer to Will as her grandson just reminds me again of the utter inanity that this show refuses to have Hope refer to Claire as her granddaughter. It doesn't make Hope seem younger- it makes KA look insecure as hell. It's also funny to remember the Will paternity storyline- that story lasted for years and I remember catching the end of that one.

At this point, they need to just Kevin Collins Ben and give him an identical twin who is kind of kooky but not criminally insane, with them switching places every once in awhile. Robert Scott Wilson does seem like the kind of pretty boy that Robert Carlivati likes but I'm not sure he'll give him the full redemption deal. He does, however, really seem to like crazy.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, lska said:

I can't stand Steve because of what his story has done to Kayla. She keeps having to apologize for him or swallow her frustration. I don't see him as a good father or husband. I want to, but I can't. And I loathe how this show always has women getting emotionally abused or raped and then makes them stay with the guy who hurt them. Sigh.

I totally disagree with this.  Steve has done everything to make stuff right with her and she has resisted.  She was a bitch to him and he let her until she came around. They have a long history (like my whole life,)   I think that Kayla can be a total bitch and Steve just puts up with it.

• Love 1

I never thought it was wise for the producers to have the show's first three gay men all in bed with each other. Homophobes must be having a field day with that...

I agree that young Ciara had the potential to be a little off-kilter later on life, but so far I'm not seeing that in this new older version of the character. I'm seeing a lot of fronting and bluster and attitude and overworked hair.

The thing that really impressed me about Jennifer Lilley was that she got the same kind of introduction as a flirtatious bad girl but showed a lot of simple humanity there beneath the surface. I think actors who are vulnerable are the ones who ultimately make an impression. I hated almost all of Kassie De Pavia's material, but I really loved her following the death of Paige because I felt like the actress was finally able to connect with something in her character and show vulnerability. Now Eve is back to being a femme fatale type, and that's depressing. I would have much preferred to see a slightly less extreme version of Ciara coming back onto the canvas. Hopefully her humanity will creep through. For the time being, I feel like she's just (for lack of a better word) fronting.

I totally disagree with this.

I only know their relationship from 2015 onwards so it's very possible that Kayla has always been the difficult one and I'm just unaware of it. Still, everything I've seen from 2015 onwards makes the relationship look like a punishment for Kayla. To have to raise her son alone and then have her husband waltz back in with a few "baby"s is cringe-worthy enough. All the stuff that followed with Ava and now Tripp just makes it seem like a living nightmare.

Was anyone else disappointed that suddenly Marlena's townhouse was decorated for the holidays and we didn't get to see it actually happen? I feel like that was definitely the sort of thing the family could have done together to make Will feel welcome. (I'm a sucker for holiday decorating montages)

The generic decorations on the tree also gave me this weird feeling that John and Marlena might not be the best people to actually live with. She's probably always dealing with her patients or catching up with various family members knee deep in drama while John is running off either to do Black Patch casework or overseas missions with the ISA. Something tells me they don't nest enough or host fun dinner parties. I actually feel bad for Will having to live there. Hopefully soon he'll get his own apartment and we can start to see his identity re-emerge.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Does anyone have PROOF that she has an eating disorder?  Speculation is still body shaming.  Sorry, but it's coming across that way to me at least.

I believe the folks on this forum are more concerned about the possibility (health wise), and not necessarily body shaming.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I agree that young Ciara had the potential to be a little off-kilter later on life, but so far I'm not seeing that in this new older version of the character. I'm seeing a lot of fronting and bluster and attitude and overworked hair.

The thing that really impressed me about Jennifer Lilley was that she got the same kind of introduction as a flirtatious bad girl but showed a lot of simple humanity there beneath the surface. I think actors who are vulnerable are the ones who ultimately make an impression. I hated almost all of Kassie De Pavia's material, but I really loved her following the death of Paige because I felt like the actress was finally able to connect with something in her character and show vulnerability. Now Eve is back to being a femme fatale type, and that's depressing. I would have much preferred to see a slightly less extreme version of Ciara coming back onto the canvas. Hopefully her humanity will creep through. For the time being, I feel like she's just (for lack of a better word) fronting.

I agree with this--Theresa did a lot of terrible things but the actress was always able to show us that her actions were done out of fear or insecurity.  JL always gave Theresa a warmth that made us want her to change and have good things in her life.  Right now Ciara looks like a bully who is picking on someone rather harmless.  I would love to see Ciara step up to Kate with her new bitchy attitude instead of Claire--Kate would rip her apart in two seconds. And laugh while doing it.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I agree with this--Theresa did a lot of terrible things but the actress was always able to show us that her actions were done out of fear or insecurity.  JL always gave Theresa a warmth that made us want her to change and have good things in her life.  Right now Ciara looks like a bully who is picking on someone rather harmless.  I would love to see Ciara step up to Kate with her new bitchy attitude instead of Claire--Kate would rip her apart in two seconds. And laugh while doing it.

Ciara has the backstory to give us a reason why she is a bitch.  Sami had the same thing as well.  Sami adored her mother and big sister and a series of events turned her against them. Theresa was supposed to be the new Sami and when it did not work. They created a faux backstory to make her sympathetic. Theresa is beloved on this board, but, she is hated on others..  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I only know their relationship from 2015 onwards so it's very possible that Kayla has always been the difficult one and I'm just unaware of it. Still, everything I've seen from 2015 onwards makes the relationship look like a punishment for Kayla. To have to raise her son alone and then have her husband waltz back in with a few "baby"s is cringe-worthy enough. All the stuff that followed with Ava and now Tripp just makes it seem like a living nightmare.

Kayla has never been the difficult one in her relationship with Steve.  She was, is and always, will be, Steve's anchor.  Steve was the one who brought the drama in her life. However, the heart wants, what  the heart, wants. So, she loved him and accepted the baggage, anyway.  Plus, Steve paid attention to her. Other than Bo, Kayla grew up, with everybody, fawning over  her big sister, Kim. Her dad used to call Kim, the best and the brightest. Steve saw her, for who she was and Kayla has been smitten, ever since..

I saw some clips recently of the time when Kayla was with Shane.  That had to have been, the worst relationship ever. Even, worst, than Dannifer and Rope.  I remain amazed to this day that the writers thought for even one second that the fans would accept this, but, I digress.  I was struck with the fact that Kayla wanted the stability that Shane brought to her life. Unlike, Steve.  They had a bittersweet goodbye, when they finally broke up, after Shane, became paralyzed..  Kayla adored Theresa, as a baby. It is a shame that the show never developed their relationship. Kim was super close to baby Stefanie, as well.  We should have seen those relationships flourish on the show.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
On 12/8/2017 at 4:09 PM, pau said:

She explained when asked about healthy food and exercises how for a long time she had problems with food, how to handle it therefore problems with weight and finally instead of hard diets then relapse..She finally understood she had to do it for herself, to be healthy and not for the pressure of her environment (Hollywood standards..) and not in a drastic way.

She also talked how she could go on junk food binges..when she was a teenager..so i think it was bulimia..

i think she looks beautiful but she has that certain body type that seems to be very "fatty" for lack of a better word.  i heard she works out and eats well but her arms are pretty big ,not in a muscular way. it's just the way she's built. husky, if you will. if i didn't know she did biggest loser etc. i never would have guessed she is trying so hard. she just looks like an average woman who only runs errands. what's more important is being healthy and looking at her face, she has aged well and it's telling.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, MsTree said:

I believe the folks on this forum are more concerned about the possibility (health wise), and not necessarily body shaming.

Maybe people just shouldn't comment on women's bodies at all?  Innocent intentions or not, it nearly always comes across as rude. JMO.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I give Jen Lilley all the credit for people liking Theresa.  The writing for Theresa was horrible.  Lauren Bowles was so great as little Ciara.  They really needed to do an excellent job of casting when they sorased Ciara, and they didn't.  Epic fail.  Lauren Bowles' Ciara could have given Sami, Kate and Nicole some competition in the bad girl department.  The recasts, not so much.

1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

Ciara has the backstory to give us a reason why she is a bitch.  Sami had the same thing as well.  Sami adored her mother and big sister and a series of events turned her against them. Theresa was supposed to be the new Sami and when it did not work. They created a faux backstory to make her sympathetic. Theresa is beloved on this board, but, she is hated on others..  

I wish they would stop saying so and so is going to be the next so and so.  It sets the character up for to many comparisons before they've even been fleshed out and given a chance to connect with the fans.

I feel sorry for all the women in Hollywood no matter how good they look they still get criticized.  Women who are at perfectly good weights and in great shape are still told to lose weight.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

I give Jen Lilley all the credit for people liking Theresa.  The writing for Theresa was horrible.  Lauren Bowles was so great as little Ciara.  They really needed to do an excellent job of casting when they sorased Ciara, and they didn't.  Epic fail.  Lauren Bowles' Ciara could have given Sami, Kate and Nicole some competition in the bad girl department.  The recasts, not so much.

I think that the show should have let Lauren Bowles, grow up, on the show, in real time...She was so great as Ciara.  Even, Sami, was taken aback, when she demanded diamonds from her..lol  She was too much for someone like Sami. Plus, she looked so much like Peter and Kristian..

8 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

I wish they would stop saying so and so is going to be the next so and so.  It sets the character up for to many comparisons before they've even been fleshed out and given a chance to connect with the fans.

Exactly!  The show tried to make Will and Theresa the next Sami.. Let the character inspire you to write stories that are unique to them..

• Love 9

I am also sick of the comparisons to the previous generation of characters. It makes the writer's look really insecure, as though they don't believe anyone will tune in to the show unless they get a rehash of the storylines they already know and love.

This is sure to be an unpopular opinion but I think that's why I really enjoyed Jennifer Lilley's arc as Theresa. She was a lot of fun as the bad girl toying with JJ and then fun as well with Brady, and then she got really dark during John's coma and managed to bounce back after dealing with Kristen Melanie and Xander. In life it's hard to forgive people and even harder for people to forgive themselves and make an effort to improve their lives. Seeing Theresa push forward with the fashion career in spite of all the odds against her and focus on being a good mother and wife was gratifying. I don't know if that arc mirrors the stories previously seen on the show, but I thought it worked and was original enough. And as much as I think Dena fumbled her exit, there was something a little bit poignant about Theresa having to pretend to regress in order to do the most selfless thing she's ever done in her life: protect her husband and child.

I'm still hoping LB could return to the role of Ciara if she goes through some big growth spurt soon. I would rather see her in the role in anybody else at this point, but that's partly due to how well she was written just a few years ago. The writers had a perspective on who Ciara was and the entitled to daughter of a super couple was an interesting way to go. And she was still likable! Such a missed opportunity.

As for the whole body shaming thing, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say we've been rude thus far. I post here because people are generally very thoughtful and sensitive to one another.

At Steve and Kayla's wedding last winter I couldn't help but notice that all of the younger female characters on the show we're extraordinarily thin. The actresses playing Ciara, Jade and Claire all had the same body type, which is to say they were very skinny. I don't think that's coincidental. Even the replacement Jade was very thin. Are the casting people only looking for one body type?

I've known too many women who have struggled with their body image their entire lives to notice 3 underweight women on my TV screen and not say something about it. I care about this show because I want to see good acting and entertaining stories. That's my standard. What's theirs?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Maybe people just shouldn't comment on women's bodies at all?  Innocent intentions or not, it nearly always comes across as rude. JMO.

And while I appreciate your opinion, it's my opinion that people are WAY too sensitive these days. Imagine if the person who saw the lump on Tarek's neck (via TV no less) didn't speak up...he could be dealing with a more difficult case of thyroid cancer. Granted, the two are not the same. My point is that most of the time, speaking about health related issues is usually out of concern for the individual(s).

• Love 5
On 12/8/2017 at 5:29 PM, CPP83 said:

Sonny is being quite annoying. As if he's on a mission to make Will his again like a throphy hunter of sorts. Cool your jets there, buckaroo. Will is a human being, not a wayward mustang you need to tame.

Basically, he's being treated like the majority of female characters on SOAPS...like they're chattel for the men folk to have.

On 12/10/2017 at 3:11 AM, MsTree said:

This is what my point was. I'm the last one to body shame. I'm truly concerned for her. She was ultra thin to begin with and now it's a lot more pronounced. 

5 hours ago, MsTree said:

And while I appreciate your opinion, it's my opinion that people are WAY too sensitive these days. Imagine if the person who saw the lump on Tarek's neck (via TV no less) didn't speak up...he could be dealing with a more difficult case of thyroid cancer. Granted, the two are not the same. My point is that most of the time, speaking about health related issues is usually out of concern for the individual(s).

Especially in the age where SOAPS are all about current issues. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I am also sick of the comparisons to the previous generation of characters. It makes the writer's look really insecure, as though they don't believe anyone will tune in to the show unless they get a rehash of the storylines they already know and love.

Ken Corday and the writers are to lazy to write anything original.  What they fail to comprehend is that while there are character types, the characters who fall into certain categories are not all exactly the same.  Characters like Sami, Kate, Nicole, Marlena, Hope, Kristen, Kayla, etc., were built over time.  They weren't just brought to Salem with the announcement that this is the new so and so.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

This is sure to be an unpopular opinion but I think that's why I really enjoyed Jennifer Lilley's arc as Theresa. She was a lot of fun as the bad girl toying with JJ and then fun as well with Brady, and then she got really dark during John's coma and managed to bounce back after dealing with Kristen Melanie and Xander. In life it's hard to forgive people and even harder for people to forgive themselves and make an effort to improve their lives. Seeing Theresa push forward with the fashion career in spite of all the odds against her and focus on being a good mother and wife was gratifying. I don't know if that arc mirrors the stories previously seen on the show, but I thought it worked and was original enough. And as much as I think Dena fumbled her exit, there was something a little bit poignant about Theresa having to pretend to regress in order to do the most selfless thing she's ever done in her life: protect her husband and child.

I also loved Theresa's storyline and what I thought was the coolest is that despite being considered some kind of spiderwoman,  she had so many of the women on her side--she won over Marlena, Maggie and Nicole--and I adored Theresa's reformed sisterly bond with Eve and then to watch her willingly throw it all away because she had to protect Brady and Tate just broke my heart.  Plus JL killed her scenes--the woman's seriously underrated.

1 hour ago, swtrgrl said:

Basically, he's being treated like the majority of female characters on SOAPS...like they're chattel for the men folk to have.

I think Sonny is going to be in for a rude awakening in regards to Will and I think it's about time.  Sonny seems to think that all Will needs is his memories to come back and then he'll fall back into Sonny's arms.  I don't think so, my friend :)

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

As for the whole body shaming thing, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say we've been rude thus far. I post here because people are generally very thoughtful and sensitive to one another.

At Steve and Kayla's wedding last winter I couldn't help but notice that all of the younger female characters on the show we're extraordinarily thin. The actresses playing Ciara, Jade and Claire all had the same body type, which is to say they were very skinny. I don't think that's coincidental. Even the replacement Jade was very thin. Are the casting people only looking for one body type?

I've known too many women who have struggled with their body image their entire lives to notice 3 underweight women on my TV screen and not say something about it. I care about this show because I want to see good acting and entertaining stories. That's my standard. What's theirs?

11 hours ago, MsTree said:

Well, my point was that while I understand everyone's concern, no one has any actual proof that these ladies have eating disorders.  Speculation is not up to us, the viewers.  Saying someone is "too skinny" is just the same as saying someone is "too fat" - and that's been taboo for years.  We have no idea if they are in good health or not.  We have no idea if they suffer from any health issues or eating disorders.  So why speculate?  Are they going to come here and read these comments and then go, "oh, you know, these strangers are right, I have a problem..."?  I have friends in the real world who look just like them, and my friends are just fine.  Everyone is built and shaped different. 

I don't think speculating over an eating disorder is the same as a nurse noticing a lump on that guy's neck at all.  That was obvious to her and she was a trained oncology nurse, wasn't she?  This is not obvious, but I do apologize if everyone here is a trained medical professional specializing in eating disorders.  I am not.

I don't mean to be rude either, but I don't understand why everyone always has to talk about women's bodies.  Maybe we are too sensitive now, especially with the #metoo movement, photoshopping, unreal idealistic standards, and the attention that women are receiving lately - but it is what it is. 

I agree that I come here too because everyone usually is thoughtful and sensitive to one another, but I don't see these comments as being sensitive towards the actresses.  Shouldn't that also be a standard to uphold?

• Love 8

Sami and Rafe should tell Hope the truth, Hope and Rafe should be over for good, and Sami can take Rafe with her when she leaves Salem.  GG likes working with AS so maybe she can put him in one of her hallmark movies.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

Sami and Rafe should tell Hope the truth, Hope and Rafe should be over for good, and Sami can take Rafe with her when she leaves Salem.  GG likes working with AS so maybe she can put him in one of her hallmark movies.

Rafe is staying on Salem, Sami is not interested so no she should not take Rafe with her and she does not actually (it was filmed a long time ago..).  Rafe and Hope can stay together and they do, by the way.

GG can like what he wants AS is not interested to carry him once again on another medium. She is successful on Hallmark with far more talented costars, she really really doesn't need him. Actually with his lack of talent, of chemistry, of spark..he is the last person she need to put in one of her hallmark movies.

Edited by pau

Today was pretty good...balanced.

• Will and Sami were great. I love his holding back with her yet giving her a life line. He realizes he's not perfect, etc... Their scenes were touching.
  • JJ is about to lose his shit full on. Can't wait. I'm loving the material and Casey is doing a good job with it.
  • Kayla/Patch and Kate/Andre: snooze. I'm not interested in the intrigue or blackmail parts of this story.
  • Hope/Rafe boring
  • Sami/Rafe: funny soap trope w/the stuck ring
  • Eric/Jen: really loving their friendship...and I'm not a Jen fan at all.
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

Some of us watch Hallmark Movies.  Him ruining days is enough.

• Love 4

The Will/Sami conversation was extremely well played by both AS and CM--Good for Will for realizing that he took his anger and frustration at what Susan did out on her--he was unfair and I loved that he apologized to his mom--YEAH!!  And Sami's conceding that she pushed him too fast and that she needs to back off and let him to know his life, slowly but surely was kind of heart-breaking.

I did like Kayla's telling Kate off--Kate feels bad but not bad enough to do the right thing.  I look forward to Team Johnson kicking her butt :)

• Love 5

Nothing to really add to today's show. The ring trope was funny, but it's been done. Eventually Will will see the ring on Hope's hand and figure it out. It is easy for Rafe to come up with a plausible explanation - he came to visit Sami, he was fishing through his pocket for something, and the ring fell out. Even Sami could have said something like that - which would make sense instead of creating nonsense drama about it being EJ's engagement ring.

Hope Team Johnson gives Kate a little comeuppance.

JJ is becoming interesting. Hope is right to let him know to just let the investigation play out.

Jennifer deserves an interesting story to make her more likeable - maybe some behind the scenes Spectator type investigation.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, pau said:

Rafe is staying on Salem, Sami is not interested so no she should not take Rafe with her and she does not actually (it was filmed a long time ago..).  Rafe and Hope can stay together and they do, by the way.

GG can like what he wants AS is not interested to carry him once again on another medium. She is successful on Hallmark with far more talented costars, she really really doesn't need him. Actually with his lack of talent, of chemistry, of spark..he is the last person she need to put in one of her hallmark movies.

More talented co-stars??  Yeah?  Wasn't Cameron Mathison in one, the original Lord of the Douche?  

I'm no fan of GG, but at least he's not THAT bad.

• Love 5