Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

And whatever happened to going outside??  They did that ridiculous beach scene with Brady awhile back, and that had been the first time anyone went outside in years.  They used to have an outdoor set!  And I remember Bo and Hope would be outside, with actual footage of a boat on real water...  Oh well, the good ol' days are gone, that's for sure.

It amazes me how the English soap "Emmerdale" has an entire TOWN set with outdoor scenes, cars driving through the streets, and a pub with actual working taps.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

It amazes me how the English soap "Emmerdale" has an entire TOWN set with outdoor scenes, cars driving through the streets, and a pub with actual working taps.

I watched a few episodes of "Doctors" which is also a British soap, I think?  And it was like a real show with real buildings, outdoors, cars, etc.

Jeez, Chad, maybe smashing Abigail against the walls after she just had a car wreck isn't a good idea.

"You don't have to keep your voice down, she can't hear you."  Why?  Is she deaf or something?"

Why would Lucas call Chloe for help in the first place?  Though I wouldn't mind seeing them reconnect. And I can only imagine Sami's reaction.

Does the Catholic Church have any compunctions about gay weddings?

Was that "You owe me" over the $50 about the money Chad stole from Sonny?  Are they just laughing that off?

"She got stuck with the short end of the stick."  Really, Lucas?

And we lost the last scene today so the local news could give us "Breaking News" that local people are collecting money for hurricane relief.

• Love 5

I thought BD was pretty funny today. He's pretty chunky and has dumb tattoos but he's a hoot. I think RC is showing his (known) goofy side and bringing it to the screen. I think he's using him as comic relief like he did with Kin Shriner on GH. that might not be a good thing but I do see the similarities since I watch both shows. Actually, I watch all four shows. LOL!!!!

• Love 5

I felt sorry for Lucas getting stuck with 'dead' Angelica. Calling the police is the best idea, really. Not calling Chloe.

Hattie and 'Andre', her ex-sweetie? Might be an interesting evaluation. Don't know why Mr. Xin would care about Andre's stability.

Maybe some of the progressive churches will perform a gay wedding. Otherwise it just seems to be a civil ceremony. Maybe Salem or whatever state it's in has legal gay marriage, especially one in a church. Or maybe a more modern church. Not the Catholic church. Maybe there'll need to be a civil ceremony and the church one would just be symbolic.

Chad, take it easy when it comes to a reunion with Abs.  She really can use some 'me' time before marrying you - again. And who knows - Dario might just show up, making whatever distance annulment null and void.

• Love 2

For all her brainless, campy crazypants-ness, Hattie at least has the virtue of calling a spade a spade, or rather, a raving lunatic a lunatic, when it comes to André, which is more than the rest of Salem seems prepared to do. I think I could almost tolerate those two if they were exclusively in scenes with one another. Hattie's screeching "Whaaaaaaaat?!" on learning that Kate and Roman were the ones kissing was pretty entertaining in itself. 

Do we know for sure that St. Aloysius or whatever Sonny and Chad's favourite is called is a Catholic church? Maybe it's Episcopalian. There doesn't seem much chance of a Catholic church marrying two men -- nor remarrying a divorced couple, either, for that matter.

• Love 3

I think the showrunners are going to get around the fact that Sonny and Paul won't marry at St Luke's by having this be Sonny's second marriage and Chad and Abigail's second as well.

Can you imagine how many nutty religious viewers would have a cow if the gay couple dared to get married in an actual Church?

16 hours ago, rcc said:

I watch Coronation Street and the difference in the sets makes Days look cheap and embarrassing.

Guiding Light and As the World Turns did real outdoors filming the last couple of years they were on the air. It worked for me.

6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I think the showrunners are going to get around the fact that Sonny and Paul won't marry at St Luke's by having this be Sonny's second marriage and Chad and Abigail's second as well.

Can you imagine how many nutty religious viewers would have a cow if the gay couple dared to get married in an actual Church?

You can't get married IN the church by a priest if you've been married before (without an annulment) and no way in hell PaulSon would be allowed to be married there, no matter what number of marriage it is. The new Pope is better than the previous ones wrt life issues but he hasn't overturned church anti-gay doctrine to include same sex marriage in the church.

But, this is a soap...if I can "buy into" doppelgangers and returning from the dead and boxing with Satan...I can "allow" a same sex couple and a divorced/non annulled couple to marry inside the local Catholic church.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, swtrgrl said:

Guiding Light and As the World Turns did real outdoors filming the last couple of years they were on the air. It worked for me.

You can't get married IN the church by a priest if you've been married before (without an annulment) and no way in hell PaulSon would be allowed to be married there, no matter what number of marriage it is. The new Pope is better than the previous ones wrt life issues but he hasn't overturned church anti-gay doctrine to include same sex marriage in the church.

But, this is a soap...if I can "buy into" doppelgangers and returning from the dead and boxing with Satan...I can "allow" a same sex couple and a divorced/non annulled couple to marry inside the local Catholic church.

I think that it would be wise for the show to not go there and show Sonny and Paul getting married in a Catholic Church.  For Paulson to even marry, they would have to convert to Catholicism.  Sonny is Greek Orthodox and I don't even know what Paul is.  The show is so cheap, how about the show bringing back the set Chez Rouge and have the double wedding there. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

Even if Chad and Abigail were to get an annulment, would the Catholic church allow them to remarry? I'm no expert on doctrine (and I don't even play one on tv!), but I think the basis of annulment is a declaration that the marriage was never valid in the first place -- it seems to me that some reversal of that declaration of invalidity would be needed for the couple to marry again. Somehow I don't think the church would be okay with life-long vows that operate like a set of revolving doors. But I'm looking for realism in the wrong place, clearly. Everyone has an evil twin, you say? Sure, why not? Two young fellas getting hitched by their local parish priest? Sounds good. Crazy lunatics coming back from the dead on the regular in disguises that wouldn't fool a two-year-old? Of course! Happens all the time in my neighbourhood.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Even if Chad and Abigail were to get an annulment, would the Catholic church allow them to remarry? I'm no expert on doctrine (and I don't even play one on tv!), but I think the basis of annulment is a declaration that the marriage was never valid in the first place -- it seems to me that some reversal of that declaration of invalidity would be needed for the couple to marry again. Somehow I don't think the church would be okay with life-long vows that operate like a set of revolving doors. But I'm looking for realism in the wrong place, clearly. Everyone has an evil twin, you say? Sure, why not? Two young fellas getting hitched by their local parish priest? Sounds good. Crazy lunatics coming back from the dead on the regular in disguises that wouldn't fool a two-year-old? Of course! Happens all the time in my neighbourhood.

Chad and Abby got divorced, so, they would not be allowed to marry in a Catholic church.  If they had annulled their first marriage, then, it would be a different story. Getting an annulment is even hard as well. 

Edited by Apprentice79

Weren't Brady and Kristen about to get married in St. Luke's?  And they've both been married how many times?  (As how many different people?)  Adrienne and Lucas, too, right?  I don't think this version of a Catholic church cares much.

• Love 1

I always thought St. Luke's was Episcopalian as well.

I am enjoying the show right now but I can't even with Marlena and John and their matching straitjackets completely with white pants and socks and white shoes and their little mushy dreams of reunion.  Next thing we know they'll be floating on a bed like Carrie and Mike.  Blech.

Edited by lilly6
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Jeez, Chad, maybe smashing Abigail against the walls after she just had a car wreck isn't a good idea.

"You don't have to keep your voice down, she can't hear you."  Why?  Is she deaf or something?"

Why would Lucas call Chloe for help in the first place?  Though I wouldn't mind seeing them reconnect. And I can only imagine Sami's reaction.

Does the Catholic Church have any compunctions about gay weddings?

Was that "You owe me" over the $50 about the money Chad stole from Sonny?  Are they just laughing that off?

"She got stuck with the short end of the stick."  Really, Lucas?

And we lost the last scene today so the local news could give us "Breaking News" that local people are collecting money for hurricane relief.

i don't think the catholic church allows same sex marriage!   seems to me this was something the writers should have been aware of. no double wedding.

marlena and john were pretty stomach churning today. i thought marlena was going to have an orgasm just thinking about touching john. good grief, who is so overly sexual at that age? no one i know!  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I think that it would be wise for the show to not go there and show Sonny and Paul getting married in a Catholic Church.  For Paulson to even marry, they would have to convert to Catholicism.  Sonny is Greek Orthodox and I don't even know what Paul is.  The show is so cheap, how about the show bringing back the set Chez Rouge and have the double wedding there. 

Converting to Catholicism wouldn't do it, either b/c no same sex marriage. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

marlena and john were pretty stomach churning today. i thought marlena was going to have an orgasm just thinking about touching john. good grief, who is so overly sexual at that age? no one i know!  

Jarlena could be saccharine at times...lol 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

Everyone has an evil twin, you say? Sure, why not? Two young fellas getting hitched by their local parish priest? Sounds good. Crazy lunatics coming back from the dead on the regular in disguises that wouldn't fool a two-year-old? Of course! Happens all the time in my neighbourhood.

We need to send this to the showrunners. I want to hear these words out of Theresa or Sami's mouth!

I really feel like I'm getting my cake and eating it too with this Hattie/Marlena storyline. We get one scene of Marlena ripping John a new one for never being around and then we get a scene immediately afterwards of them sweetly trying to get through yet another complicated situation as a couple. It's like we're watching their breakup and reunion at the same time! It's a bit jarring but I like that we're at least getting both types of scenes. Prior to Ron and Sherri coming on it didn't seem like the show was ever going to let Marlena ream John for being all about the ISA. I'm happy.

I'm not really interested in Dario or the fallout from his storyline, but I really respect the show for even bothering to write a fallout. He could have simply disappeared the day of Abby's accident and never been mentioned again. Instead they gave him a partner which allowed for this clever scheme involving Abe. It doesn't make me like Hope or Rafe more as detectives, but it has been a decent subplot and ties nicely into the idea of Abe worrying over Theo's involvement with the Dimeras.

I guess the judge find out about Nicole lying to the foster mother in the Town Square to spend more time with Holly?

It's so ridiculous that the Horton Center is the same room as the courthouse apparently.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Everyone has an evil twin, you say? Sure, why not? Two young fellas getting hitched by their local parish priest? Sounds good. Crazy lunatics coming back from the dead on the regular in disguises that wouldn't fool a two-year-old? Of course! Happens all the time in my neighbourhood.

We need to send this to the showrunners. I want to hear these words out of Theresa or Sami's mouth!

Oooh, ooh! What if we bonk John on the head? I could see a concussed and rambling John making a meal out of this.

• Love 1

I so wish this show could have another set or 2.  I get so tired of looking at that greenery.

I enjoyed the Jarlena scenes.  Yes, it was over the top saccharine. But still soapy.  It would be nice, though, if there was even one young couple who could have scenes like those.   Why can't they write likable new couples anymore? 

Still hate Rope. I can sometimes tolerate them separately, but I hate them together.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:28 AM, Sandman said:

So Carlivati's behind the "doubling" -- both Hattie and Bonnie come back to town; both Brady and Lucas fall off the wagon? I'm not impressed so far. And if there's one thing this show does not need, it's more campy storylines. The doppelgänger business was weak and, in my opinion, it was not redeemed by the one-liners or the dialogue in general.

Carlivarti is getting close to James E Reilly territory.  Humor is fine, campy is too much.

• Love 1

Is anyone else's NBC feed getting preempted? Almost half of yesterday's show and all of today's episode was replaced for me by some People's Court/Judge NotQuiteJudy nonsense. (I think maybe it's called Hot Bench??)

Edited by Sandman
Is Ken getting back at me for that crack about the Head Writer Roulette Orchestra?
  • Love 1

Paul/Sparkle, nothing about 'Marlena' and her attitude seems unusual to you? Even the way she speaks and her vocabulary and slang/expressions?

Nicole foiled again by her own actions? Can't this story be over? Nice to see that she and Chloe have made up.

Seems like half the Salem PD is on to Raines.

John and Marlena will be back in their straitjackets again soon. Or worse. Guards will find them loose.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Paul/Sparkle, nothing about 'Marlena' and her attitude seems unusual to you? Even the way she speaks and her vocabulary and slang/expressions?

She was eating rather strangely and had terrible table manners also.  

17 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Nicole foiled again by her own actions? Can't this story be over? Nice to see that she and Chloe have made up.

Seems like half the Salem PD is on to Raines.

John and Marlena will be back in their straitjackets again soon. Or worse. Guards will find them loose.

I find Paul's insertion in the Marlena/John story odd. He does not have the history with them, like Belle, Carrie, Brady, Sami and Eric; to be musing about the love story between John and Marlena. One of their real kids should be concern about Marlena's odd behavior and sudden interest in Roman. Paul knows nothing about them. I hope Ron and Sherry fix the retcon of him being John's son.  It was unnecessary and short-sighted to make  him John's son. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4

Yesterday's episode was comedy gold--I'm not sure which was funnier, John's shouting butch encouragements or  Marlena's wiggling around, trying to get out of the straight-jacket?

Now today's was not half bad, especially Nicole's being held accountable for breaking the restraining order regarding Holly.  I also liked Kayla and Valerie's conversation as well as Tripp and Steve's--all four characters reactions felt very genuine.  On the downside,  we were treated to Theo's being an unpleasant and self-absorbed baby,  I just want to shout at Claire to stop thinking of Theo as a romantic ideal and pay more attention to Tripp who is actually an interesting man.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Yesterday's episode was comedy gold--I'm not sure which was funnier, John's shouting butch encouragements or  Marlena's wiggling around, trying to get out of the straight-jacket?

Now for today was not half bad, especially Nicole's being help accountable for breaking the restraining order regarding Holly.  I also liked Kayla and Valerie's conversation as well as Tripp and Steve's--all four characters reactions felt very genuine.  On the downside,  we were treated to Theo's being an unpleasant and self-absorbed baby,  I just want to shout at Claire to stop thinking of Theo as a romantic ideal and pay more attention to Tripp who is actually an interesting man.

Tripp holding a knife to Kayla's throat and being Ava's spawn ruins him to me. I am glad that Kayla is for once allowed to be angry about Steve's messiness.  Enough is enough! Tripp is so unnecessary, when we have Stefanie out there that should be on canvas.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4

It is going to take a long time before Tripp feels like a worthwhile character. The actor is good and I hope it works out.

I think I'm finally over Claire. The actress just seems to play every scene like she's some conniving schemer and it's too bad because her dialogue doesn't always seem to indicate that. Today for example, she could have just happily thanked Marlena for the advice and been genuinely excited for making Theo a bit jealous, but instead she's licking her lips almost as though she's planning on tricking him or something. It's a shame because I just don't know if the actress is getting decent direction in her scenes. The show needs at needs one rootable teenage girl right?

I really like how Valerie was with Kayla today. I hope that's a friendship that gets built up. Lord knows Kayla needs someone on her side.

Does Eric not realize this is the exact same crooked judge who granted Kristen bail after she was finally charged which raping him? I feel like either the judge or Eric would recognize each other.

I'm so glad Brady blackmailed him and now this baby drama is coming to an end. Holly has been nothing but the thing that makes Nicole crazy since last December practically. It would be so nice to see her back to her spunky sassy self. Although frankly, the way this show writes her, I sincerely doubt Nicole would be a good mother. She seems to have poor decision making skills and poor impulse control and if she were to move out of Salem with Holly I don't doubt for a second that she'd get embroiled in some other ridiculous drama with another lousy boyfriend and take all the wrong steps to fix it.

I hope Ron gives us a baby shower. Those are the kinds of happy little celebrations that we don't see much of on the show anymore because they don't tend to generate much drama. But I think it would be really nice to see all the ladies of Salem congratulating Nicole and Chloe on Holly and giving her presents and laughing and seeming happy for a change.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

I hope Ron gives us a baby shower. Those are the kinds of happy little celebrations that we don't see much of on the show anymore because they don't tend to generate much drama. But I think it would be really nice to see all the ladies of Salem congratulating Nicole and Chloe on Holly and giving her presents and laughing and seeming happy for a change.

Have baby showers actually happened on soaps before?  I don't recall one happening.

I was wondering why nobody said anything about the judge being the same one Deimos told Nicole he had bribed. At least Brady finally called him out.

Er, if you deleted the night in Miami, JJ, you would still be with Gabi.

They mentioned Brandon.  Too bad that's no sign of him coming back

Oh, Kayla, don't walk off in a huff.

Sorry Eric, you have no business looking upset.

• Love 2

I found today boring. In fact, I turned it off early, after turning it on late.

I want to care about Nicole, but all the Daniel worship ruined her character for me. So I can't care about her getting her baby back. And I can't care anymore about her and Eric.  And I didn't really care about Steve & Tripp, or Claire & Theo.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Tripp, save some of your Vitali money to pay for med school and rent.

How many judges does the Salem court system have? No one recognized the judge at all and knew he was dirty?

Claire, show some genuine interest in Theo - even if it is only being a friend. For now. Not a game.  Be honest. As soon as someone hotter comes in to your life, you'll be gone.

Nice to see Kayla has a budding friendship with someone who isn't family - Valerie.

Good luck with being a mom, Nicole.

Eric, you can love someone without expecting anything back. Part of your being a priest and 'unconditional' love. Love does not have to equal relationship.

• Love 1

I just caught up on some scenes I had missed and didn't realize that the double wedding had been booked at St Lukes. Color Me surprised! I wonder which priest will be performing the service...

I'm surprised how Hattie didn't flinch when Andre walked up to her in the Square. I'm also surprised Andre didn't notice any of Hattie's mannerisms.

"What Bitch?" LOL

• Love 2

favorite part of today. bonnie calling hope "fancy face"!

i like the comedy factor on the soap. may not be a feasible story line but there are some laughs.

ok, is that maggie (suzanne's) real hair? please tell me it's a wig. my own hair was super thick up until 10 years ago and it thinned out considerably. i am jealous to the point of screaming when i see someone so much older than me with that much hair. :(

• Love 3

They really need to lighten up on the mustache twirling Raines does.

A little paranoid there, Lucas.

Why can't Andre think it's possible that he's talking to Hattie?

Does Eli ever wear a suit like other FBI agents?

Yeah, Rafe, wondering why there was a half naked strange woman in Adrienne's bed is a good question.

"You're a Johnson, I'm a Horton."  No you are not, Maggie, you're a Simmons.

Loved Hattie and Andre together. "Why do you hate women?"

That delivery guy seemed extra flirty to Gabi.

"Fancy Face".  LOL. And I loved Hope's reaction.

Uhoh.  Nice Friday ending.

• Love 4

I smiled a lot during today's episode. Thank you Ron and Sherri for that...

That delivery guy seemed extra flirty to Gabi.

He seemed like a contestant who won a walk-on role. (Sidenote: remember that nutty gal who did a scene in Horton Town Square as a background player and like, freak danced or ran in front of the camera like a whacko or something?)

Why can't Andre think it's possible that he's talking to Hattie?

I'll raise you - why wouldn't he have immediately figured out that Hope knowing the truth about what he did means that Hattie got out and was at large?

Also, why didn't Hope ever track Hattie down upon her release to say thanks for getting me out of there?

This entire plot depends on people not thinking of Hattie in spite of the fact she was recently in their lives.

Also: Andre boinked a Marlena lookalike for no particular reason? (Thanks for never explaining that, Dena.)

I found Rafe/Galen impossibly dull during his surprise call from Dario. Man cannot act.

I'm liking all the continuity nods. Andre citing his helping with Orpheus, Chloe and Lucas' history, etc...but didn't John miss the birth of Belle entirely? I seem to recall it was Kristen who got Marlena through the labor on Smith Island and John showed up afterwards....

• Love 4

Andre should have thought it odd that 'Marlena' would bring up Hattie as more than an aside. It wouldn't be part of his session or patient confidentiality. He was well within his right to question her. I would expect that he is suspicious. Surely the DiMera eyes and ears would have let him know that Hattie helped Hope and was released from prison and who knows where she is now.

Raines, you don't need to make it easy for yourself to get caught.

Bonnie calling Hope 'Fancy Face'? LOL. Justin, you should be a bit suspicious that your ex-wife did a 180 and suddenly chose 'you'.

'Adrienne', you will have to come up with something to answer the question of why a dead woman was found in your hotel room bed. Surely there are some Air B'nBs in Salem and apartments that some of these folks can rent.

• Love 1

It's little things that I'm liking right now. Such as Maggie asking Justin about Nicole and the judge's decision. In the past, a storyline not on screen that day would not be mentioned.

I'm also liking the segues between scenes. Like someone will mention a character, then the next scene is that character.  Also it seems like more often than not, after a commercial break, or the show opening, the next scene follows up with the storyline before the break.

Just little things, but things I don't recall happening with the recent writers.

And of course, the humour. I don't want the entire show to be slapstick, but it is nice not to have doom and gloom all the time. 

• Love 8

Loved Hattie and Andre together. "Why do you hate women?"

They were very entertaining to watch.  I laughed out loud when she asked that.  And Andre's look and response was just as hysterical.  Then later on asking about his relationship with his mother was just as good.  I have to think that Andre has to be suspicious that Marlena is really Hattie. 

• Love 4
On 8/30/2017 at 8:38 PM, Sandman said:

Is anyone else's NBC feed getting preempted? Almost half of yesterday's show and all of today's episode was replaced for me by some People's Court/Judge NotQuiteJudy nonsense. (I think maybe it's called Hot Bench??)

I haven't seen more than one uninterrupted show per week since January.  This week has been hurricane relief fundraisers, Trump's PC about the hurricane, and some local nonsense about a stolen car that could have waited for...  well, forever, but they seemed to think it was 'Breaking News'

• Love 1

I liked today's episode.  I liked watching Gabi realize that Raines was criminal but he wasn't a cold-blooded killer. and she called him out on his actions while not being a Dario apologist.  I was proud of her for not cowering in fear.

I'm also rather enjoying the Tripp/Claire/Theo scenes because Theo is handling the entire situation like the petulant little bitch he is.  I really want Claire and Tripp to genuinely fall for each other and Theo can just live with his immaturity.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
sheer grossness :):)
  • Love 5