Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

I knew it was too good to last.  Monday's show was decent but today we're back to Round 467982 of Brady acting out, being insulting and a bully, with a heapin' helpin' of self pity oozing on top.  Sad day when Philip isn't the worst actor in the room.

I'll check in later in the month - any chance maybe for Brady's funeral??

• Love 1

Just caught up on a few weeks of episodes but not all the way caught up yet.  And I have read all the snark here, thank you!  Re Hope's conviction, people IRL have not been convicted for 2nd degree murder and with similar circumstances.  It made me think of that Durst guy who was on the lam and killed his very elderly neighbour, and then chopped him up and threw him in the bay.  His defence was Aspberger's and that he and the victim struggled for the gun and it accidentally shot him in the face.  He was acquitted of murder because there was no forensic evidence that pointed to murder.  Certainly Justin could have used a similar defence citing Hope's mental anguish leading up to the killing and casting doubt on what really happened.  She could have been charged and convicted of tampering and obstruction but she could have gotten off on the murder charge.  Now they have her in prison for 25 years and they will have to either bring Stefano back, or find some journal where he wrote that he committed suicide by Hope, or she'll save the world and be pardoned.  I don't actually like Hope at all, but it seems silly to pretend that she is going to remain in prison for 25 years.

• Love 4

Hope can't wear her jewelry in prison!

Not much to say about today's ep - both Jen and newAbs kinda remind me of Gwyneth Paltrow/Goop. Both in need of some sort of hairstyle that has some shape.

I wouldn't have minded seeing the sort of holiday dinner that the Kiriakis family had. Having the cook make Brady a sandwich? Surely there is some turkey, stuffing and other leftovers that can just be popped in to the microwave. Brady, get a clue that Theresa changed overnight. Maybe he will get a visit from the Salem brain next year.

• Love 3

Sometimes Maggie annoys the crap out of me, but I liked her so much on Monday (or was it Tuesday? I watched both episodes last night in a codeine-induced fog)  Also, her hair looked good. Still big and poofy, but slightly less so than normal.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole baby thing, but why is Chloe doing this without Nicole's knowledge? I mean, yeah, Nicole wants a baby, but who just surprises their BFF with a baby like that? (She did plan to give it to Nicole, yes? And now she's not because of Deimos?)

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, shesajar said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole baby thing, but why is Chloe doing this without Nicole's knowledge? I mean, yeah, Nicole wants a baby, but who just surprises their BFF with a baby like that? (She did plan to give it to Nicole, yes? And now she's not because of Deimos?)

Chloe's plan doesn't make sense (shocking!). Initially, she didn't tell Nicole about trying the procedure again because there was (and I guess still is) a chance that it would fail again and she didn't want to devastate her, especially with Dan now being dead. Now, she doesn't want to tell Nicole because Deimos has been turned into a crazy, controlling asshole and she doesn't want him around the baby. But, she plans on giving Nicole the baby once he/she is born even though Nicole will still presumably be with Deimos. 

Does Rafe think if dirt is uncovered on the DA and the judge that Hope will be released and that's that? Even if it's proven that there was misconduct involved in the investigation that doesn't mean the charges against Hope would go away. She would just be released and face a retrial. 

Of course Adrienne faints before she can make her decision. Please Lucas, find some dignity and tell her and Justin to fuck off. 

STFU, Ciara. You're just like Hope.

The Sonny/Sparkle scenes were...something.

I keep forgetting that Sparkle is related to John's family because he's his retcon son.

I know nothing about Hattie. Should I bother googling her?

• Love 5

She doesn't think the baby should be raised by Deimos.

Jeez, Rafe, blackmail?  Really?

That whole grinding the teeth thing was just stupid.

So, Paul and Claire.  Let's see.  Belle is Claire's mother.  Belle is John's daughter.  Paul is John's son.  That makes Paul Claire's uncle.

Yessss, Hattie and Roman!  Do it, Show.

Twilight is Ciara's favorite movie, but not her favorite book?

• Love 2

Twilight was nice nod to her strangely vacant acting style.

I like this Hattie character. She's new for me and I can tell DH loves acting this part. She's going to make this prison storyline interesting.

From what little I saw today, Dee was rusty as heck. I've only watched an old YT clip of her as Hattie, but she looked like she was having fun and letting loose. Today she was falling very short of that. Even her body language and voice sounded like Marlena doing a weak impression to me. Unlike say, Kristen and Susan, who read as different people in subtle ways (looking beyond the wig and teeth).

Yessss, Hattie and Roman!  Do it, Show.

Wait...they had a scene together today? Are you suggesting them as a couple? That would be funny/uncomfortable. What would John say...?

• Love 1

I'm rooting for Adrienne to pick Lucas.   I believe Lucas really loves Adrienne and he would always treat her well and in return Adrienne would always love and respect Lucas in ways that none of his other wives respected him.  I kind of know that those two won't be able to get married but I am really hoping against hope that they will get married.  Adrienne should've kicked Justin out and continued with the wedding to Lucas.  As a matter of fact Lucas and Adrienne should've kicked out the whole wedding party and just get married with just the priest.  I want Lucas to be happy for once in his married life.

• Love 3

A cop could take out both prison women. Yeah, Hope would be a target. Probably all newbies. Surprised to see Hattie. Don't remember much about her.

Adrienne, choose Lucas. Justin will not change. It is not fair to Lucas to be used by her. Or that he was some sort of distraction. Maybe some food will make her feel better. All those hours in that itchy lace dress didn't help.

Don't care for the teen scene. Twilight was far too long ago.

5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I've only watched an old YT clip of her as Hattie

That was her twin sister.  As far as I know, this is the first time Dee has played Hattie.

5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Wait...they had a scene together today? Are you suggesting them as a couple? That would be funny/uncomfortable. What would John say...?

No, Hattie said she would help Hope if Hope could hook her up with Roman.

This was a well balanced episode in my book. Good dose of everything especially the Hattie stuff.  

Deidre almost plays this character better than Marlena.   I like she's funny,  loud and takes no bs.   But she has the hots for FauxRoman. ? I guess Roman will be getting a gf soon and it could very well be Hattie.  I tend to have good memory but I can't remember how much Hattie liked Roman since he was then with Kate then.  I thought also for a guest role TBoz did good in her first episode.   She brought a little of that TLC attitude to the role which is cool. 

Adrienne/Judi Evans been doing well with the soapy elements of having to choose between Lucas and Justin.   Her fainting was a nice touch to end the episode. 

11 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

Chloe's plan doesn't make sense (shocking!). Initially, she didn't tell Nicole about trying the procedure again because there was (and I guess still is) a chance that it would fail again and she didn't want to devastate her, especially with Dan now being dead. Now, she doesn't want to tell Nicole because Deimos has been turned into a crazy, controlling asshole and she doesn't want him around the baby. But, she plans on giving Nicole the baby once he/she is born even though Nicole will still presumably be with Deimos. 

Does Rafe think if dirt is uncovered on the DA and the judge that Hope will be released and that's that? Even if it's proven that there was misconduct involved in the investigation that doesn't mean the charges against Hope would go away. She would just be released and face a retrial. 

Of course Adrienne faints before she can make her decision. Please Lucas, find some dignity and tell her and Justin to fuck off. 

STFU, Ciara. You're just like Hope.

The Sonny/Sparkle scenes were...something.

I keep forgetting that Sparkle is related to John's family because he's his retcon son.

I know nothing about Hattie. Should I bother googling her?

Hattie is a look a like to Marlena.  Stefano and Rolf found her, it was a plot back in the day when Stefano was still obsessed with Marlena.  He planned on kidnapping her and replacing her with Hattie.  Hattie was originally played by Deidre Hall's real life twin sister Andrea, who while looks like her you can actually tell the difference between them.  Andrea also played Samantha Evans back in the day.

Anyway that plot got dropped after a few months with Hattie still in transformation mode to completely pass as Marlena. 

It was brought up again during the "New Salem/Melaswen" storyline after Marlena was killed and the "killer" was still on the loose.  John brought in Hattie as a suspect because she looked like Marlena.  Only this time Deidre Hall played the role of Hattie to completely sell the "Hattie now officially looks like Marlena" aspect of the storyline.  Also Andrea has retired from acting so I don't think she was interested in coming back as Hattie. 

Yes, Hattie always had a thing for Roman, and hated Kate and Marlena for being with him.

Clip of Andrea as Hattie starts at 2:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ierjrxaZdPI

Deidre playing the role of Hattie

Edited by JBC344
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

That was her twin sister.  As far as I know, this is the first time Dee has played Hattie.

No, this is the second.  Deidre first played Hattie in early 2004, when John thought she had committed the Salem Stalker killings posing as Marlena.  Years before then, though, it was definitely Andrea, her twin sister, who played her.

• Love 2

I just caught up on watching Monday and Tuesday's episodes and I have to say I really liked the material with Brady and I really liked how Eric Marstoff played it. You can see all of his shame, confusion, rage and heartbreak in every scene. And I really like the way Marlena offered to just listen. That's exactly what a good therapist would do and frankly there was really nothing she could say make him feel better. Plus he punched clown Philip in the gut. You guys must have enjoyed that!

I'm glad we got to see a visit to Bo's grave, however brief it was, but I didn't feel any mourning for Bo during the jail conversation between Hope, Ciarra and Shawn. He was their father and husband but you wouldn't have known that they were mourning him in the least. That was some pretty lousy acting all round.

It already feels like we are getting too much Abby. I do like the new actress though.

53 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

Yes, Hattie always had a thing for Roman, and hated Kate and Marlena for being with him.

Ah okay. Consistency I can appreciate!

• Love 4
On 2016-11-29 at 2:53 PM, LeftPhalange said:

Brady is CEO of Titan...what do Deimos and Phillip do there?

Business-y ... things? I'm sure Deimos has a lot of "meetings" where he can lurk in hallways and doorways, listening to others' conversations. And Dummy Phillip spends a lot of time going over his hair -- books! I mean the books. Going over the books! Yeah.

(What does anyone on this show do on their jobs? Titan's not the worst for this.)

• Love 3
11 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Hattie is a look a like to Marlena.  Stefano and Rolf found her, it was a plot back in the day when Stefano was still obsessed with Marlena.  He planned on kidnapping her and replacing her with Hattie.  Hattie was originally played by Deidre Hall's real life twin sister Andrea, who while looks like her you can actually tell the difference between them.  Andrea also played Samantha Evans back in the day.

Anyway that plot got dropped after a few months with Hattie still in transformation mode to completely pass as Marlena. 

It was brought up again during the "New Salem/Melaswen" storyline after Marlena was killed and the "killer" was still on the loose.  John brought in Hattie as a suspect because she looked like Marlena.  Only this time Deidre Hall played the role of Hattie to completely sell the "Hattie now officially looks like Marlena" aspect of the storyline.  Also Andrea has retired from acting so I don't think she was interested in coming back as Hattie. 

Clip of Andrea as Hattie starts at 2:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ierjrxaZdPI

Deidre playing the role of Hattie

Wow! DH on fire as Hattie. Love this clip. Thanks.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

I really don't have much to say about today's show.  Laura should have stood up for herself.

No, she shouldn't have.  She deserved every bit of Jennifer's wrath.

• Love 4
On 11/29/2016 at 10:25 PM, annabel said:

Very shallow of me, but I am noticing that Abigail has at least a five-head, maybe even a six. She also has beautiful eyes

Ok, I'm old. I had to google that. :)

Abigail deserves some wrath at disappearing and faking her death, or whatever she actually did.

Lucas and Justin almost coming to blows in the hospital was lame. Both should be given a time-out.

Salem U Hospital needs more doctors. Surely there is someone besides Kayla - like an oncologist or something.

Dull ep today.

• Love 3

Caught Laura defending herself today...loved seeing her handle Jennifer, even though Ms Priss was right.

But then, nothing about Laura and Andre teaming up makes an ounce of sense. Chad would be wise to divorce crazy Abby and her nutty family and start fresh with Gabi.

I kinda feel bad for JJ being related to these people.

• Love 4

I don't understand how Laura could defend herself; her hiding Abigail was indefensible -- and kind of nuts. Yet another inexplicable character doing bizarre and useless things.

Also, is there no one to teach Lavoisier the difference between "Bonehead Brady's just sucker-punched you," and "Brady's just shivved you, and your spleen has fallen out onto the floor." Holy crap.

• Love 7

I turned in just long enough to see Adrienne collapsed on the floor and tuned out as soon as I saw help was being summoned. What a waste.

I'll tune back in if they bury this lunkheaded harpy alive.  What an obnoxious idiot.

I hope she chooses Justin.  Lucas deserves FAR better.  Justin doesn't

• Love 7
On 2016-12-02 at 1:07 AM, Silver Raven said:

Laura has mental problems anyway.

But that's just it -- there's no way someone with Laura's history should be treating anyone, or be asked to advise on someone's treatment -- and certainly not a family member! This show treats Laura's history of breakdowns as a form of expertise. I like Jamie Lyn Bauer, but this character is garbage.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 6

I am also perplexed by how she has managed to keep a license and practice.

Are we ever going to get a scene where Laura confronts her good friend Marlena, who was the first person to suggest Abby go to the clinic? Let's not forget, it was essentially Marlena who diagnosed Abby and got her help. But now the show is retconning all of that as not being Marlena's fault at all but the fault of the clinic. *eyeroll*

• Love 3

So, everyone in the house knows now that Abby is alive, right? Why is she hiding in the damned attic? Pull the blinds and let her roam the house freely! It's not that hard to hide when someone comes to the door. I do it all the time when the door-to-door religious people come knocking.  

The only pairing that worked for Lucas has been Sami. BD isn't unattractive and he's decent enough of an actor, but there's just nothing there, romantically speaking. Whether Adrienne chooses Justin, or herself, or her tumor (or whatever it is) ...I don't care. Just stop subjecting us to her and Lucas.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, shesajar said:

So, everyone in the house knows now that Abby is alive, right? Why is she hiding in the damned attic? Pull the blinds and let her roam the house freely!

Hey, wouldn't you want to hide in the attic if Julie moved into your house? I'm surprised Jennifer and JJ haven't asked Abbs to make room for them.

Also, I think the show has basically acknowledged that the Lucas-Adrienne pairing is fundamentally unworkable. I've never heard a more lackluster (and frankly adolescent) declaration of "love" than Lucas's milquestoasting at the nonstarter wedding about how they "spend quiet time together." I don't know if it was the writing or Dattilo's uninspired delivery, but it seemed that not only does this couple have no passion for each other, Lucas's brain is going kind of soft. Was this supposed to make Justin look all the more fiery in comparison? Honestly, no one's coming out of this looking either very bright or very loving -- or even very principled: not Justin, not Adrienne, not Lucas, and certainly not Sonny.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 6

Dammit, Jennifer, you should have stood your ground about not picking up Thomas to take hi to Abby.

Do those idiots think that all of the noise in the hallway is supposed to help Adrienne?

I like JJ and Gabi, I hope they don't break them up.

I don't thing Abigail's pills are doing her as much good as she and Laura think they are.

Why would Rafe and Sean think that Chad would help them to get Hope out of jail?  And no, they aren't there for the truth, they're there to help Hope.

What is with Thomas's weird haircut?  It looks like he has a mohawk.

• Love 2

Poor Adrienne!   Running away from the hospital is not going to save you from a bad diagnosis but at least she'd be running away from all those crazy men.  My heart goes out to her.  I still hope she picks Lucas.  BTW Bryan Datillo needs a haircut real badly.

I'm surprised Chad was being so cooperative to Rafe and Shawn and give Stefano's personal correspondence to them.  I wonder why he wasn't more resistant.

Abby looks like she was bearly holding it together.  I think Jenn should give her more of a push to see Chad.  New Abby is doing fine in this role.  She is so vulnerable and anxious and a bit unpredictable that I wonder if she end up doing something crazy.

I'm very blah when it comes to the JJ and Gabi pairing.  They do nothing for me.

• Love 3

No Abs, your infant son who hasn't seen you in months or felt your touch, heard your voice, etc. probably will be screaming at the stranger you are to him. You should be seeing Thomas in very short doses at this time.

Chad, so far, is the decent DiMera. Until he eventually goes dark.

No JJ, you really don't tell your girlfriend about your drunken flashback. You may rightfully find yourself on the floor. He and Gabi seem kinda done, like they are both looking for an escape route.

Adrienne, running away from the hospital will only give you a short reprieve of a bad diagnosis. You probably know that something isn't right. Choose yourself. Lucas deserves better than being #2.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Sandman said:

Hey, wouldn't you want to hide in the attic if Julie moved into your house? I'm surprised Jennifer and JJ haven't asked Abbs to make room for them.

Also, I think the show has basically acknowledged that the Lucas-Adrienne pairing is fundamentally unworkable. I've never heard a more lackluster (and frankly adolescent) declaration of "love" than Lucas's milquestoasting at the nonstarter wedding about how they "spend quiet time together." I don't know if it was the writing or Dattilo's uninspired delivery, but it seemed that not only does this couple have no passion for each other, Lucas's brain is going kind of soft. Was this supposed to make Justin look all the more fiery in comparison? Honestly, no one's coming out of this looking either very bright or very loving -- or even very principled: not Justin, not Adrienne, not Lucas, and certainly not Sonny.

I'll admit the declaration for a soap couple was kind of lame, but considering Lucas's history with women I can totally see him at his age, early forties, wanting a more "settled" mature relationship.  I actually found it kind of sweet, to point out that the outrageousness of their other marriages just lead to heartache, him so more than her, but still.  Considering Lucas has Kate for a mother, his 25 year go round with Sami, and his "crazy" marriages to Carrie, Nicole, and Chloe, I can totally see Lucas appreciating a drama free partnership with a woman.

• Love 4

I don't think Lucas would want to deal with Sami's more nefarious antics, but I feel like he would eventually get bored with someone like Adrienne. I'd think spending a couple of decades on and off with Sami has conditioned him to expect a certain amount of crazy/drama. 

• Love 6

I guess the show is better than all the darkness from earlier in the year, but it still feels like the stories are a bit off.  Good ideas, in theory, but being told wrong. Or maybe using the wrong characters.

For example, the Justin / Lucas / Adrienne triangle is stupid. Justin & Lucas are way too old to be fighting in a hospital. But at least it's not Nicole and some other woman, like we were getting a couple years ago.

And the teens, who were SORASed to college age, are acting like high schoolers or younger, what with lurking around spying on a parent's date. And going on first dates. Not that either story is bad, but why aren't these teens having college-related stories?  And why does Ciara need to do online dating?  Can't she find a date at college?  The online dating story-line would work better for a 20-something single person.

Then there's Hope.  Oh how I hate the Hope storyline.  Maybe if she was in jail because she had been framed for something she didn't do I could get behind the "let's free Hope" plan. But the facts remain, she really did murder a old, sick, wheel-chair bound, unarmed man in cold blood.  And then hid his body in a building about to be demolished. And framed his son for the murder. Then let another man go to jail in his place.  Yes, she had help after the murder, which just makes it worse. Maybe they could have used temporary insanity for Hope's actions, but once the writers involved Rafe and Roman it made it worse.  And to top it off, Hope has to pay the price for listening to their bad advice!   Hate this storyline.

And the Abby/Chad/Gabi/JJ mess.  I'm not hating nu-Abby so far, so that's a good thing. Hopefully they move this story along soon though, as it's starting to drag on already.

And, John.  Miss him.  But I did enjoy seeing Hattie, so that will be fun while Marlena is missing her man.

Loving Steve and Kayla together. Not sure about Jade and the baby storyline, but not totally hating it yet. Too bad the baby's father is a teen-aged murderer.

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, LeftPhalange said:

Instead of giving Joey a baby with some girl who is little more than a recurring dayplayer how about they undo him being a murderer? I think that would be a better use of time. 

That would mean bringing Ava back to prove she's alive, which . . . no.  Do.  Not.  Want.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, LeftPhalange said:

Instead of giving Joey a baby with some girl who is little more than a recurring dayplayer how about they undo him being a murderer? I think that would be a better use of time. 

I sometimes wish they'd undo the entire past 12 months, but that would mean Daniel didn't die on New Year's Eve, so I don't want that wish to come true. LOL.  

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, buffynut said:

I sometimes wish they'd undo the entire past 12 months, but that would mean Daniel didn't die on New Year's Eve, so I don't want that wish to come true. LOL.  

Only the last 12 months? I'd go all the way back to circa September 2014, right before Sami starts to forgive EJ for cheating on her with Failure. So many things have happened since then that need to be undone. 

I think we would've been better off in the long run if Dan had just left town instead of dying. One, Eric wouldn't be in prison, and two, we would've been spared from the never ending scenes of Maggie and Nicole crying and mourning him and this stupid baby thing with Chloe wouldn't be happening. 

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 7

I'm having a hard time figuring out if I'm supposed to be rooting for Lucas or Justin cause right now I think they're both tools. Also, gotta say, in their defense, not really sure what they see in Adrienne either. 

Lord, please someone save Sonny from this mediocre storyline hell. I fondly remember when he was one of my favorite Days characters and now I cringe whenever he's onscreen. It doesn't help he's stuck in relationship purgatory with someone he has no passion or chemistry with. 

So far I'm liking MM as the NuAbby, but still couldn't care less about Abby. Not to mention I find it ridiculous that they're writing her as finding it incredulous that anyone would be upset with her for faking her own death. Like seriously, Abby, you broke your family's heart and you're surprised they might be a little upset with you or that Thomas would be uncomfortable around you.

I see they found Rafe a way to be even more sanctimonious by pairing him with the holier-than-thou Hope Brady. The more they try to write Hope's killing Stefano as some noble act the more I hope she spends the rest of her life in jail. 

The only bright side for me were the Chad & Kate scenes and the JJ & Gabi scenes. It's no secret I like both Chad/Gabi & JJ/Gabi, so I'm good there either way. 

17 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

Only the last 12 months? I'd go all the way back to circa September 2014, right before Sami starts to forgive EJ for cheating on her with Failure. So many things have happened since then that need to be undone. 

I think we would've been better off in the long run if Dan had just left town instead of dying. One, Eric wouldn't be in prison, and two, we would've been spared from the never ending scenes of Maggie and Nicole crying and mourning him and this stupid baby thing with Chloe wouldn't be happening. 

I second this so much. Erase all that nonsense. While we're at it erase Ben altogether or at least not turn him into a lunatic. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, JBC344 said:

I'll admit the declaration for a soap couple was kind of lame, but considering Lucas's history with women I can totally see him at his age, early forties, wanting a more "settled" mature relationship. 

There's "settled," and then there's settling. I swear Lucas sounded more like the latter.

• Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 7:27 AM, Polaris said:

I know I'm quick to judge and perhaps will regret it once Valerie's secret comes out, but I've had it with Theo.  He can take a long walk off a short pier at this point and take that bubblehead Claire with him.  You know it's bad when I prefer scenes with Ciara to ones with those two.

Six days late, but I thought I'd reply to this, as well.  What was even more glaring is that Theo was so oblivious to how badly he was making himself come off in front of everyone.  Everyone is looking at him somewhat awkwardly, and he still has this huffy look on his face like he totally doesn't even know why everyone's looking at him.  Really, dude?  You go off on a woman for pretty much no reason in front of everyone around you, and you can't see why things have suddenly gotten so tense and awkward?

• Love 1