Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

I'very been watching Days forever, and I'm the same age as Susan Seaforth Hayes.  So the memery can be faulty.  Can anyone remind me how many people Andre  murdered?  All I can remember are Renee and perhaps Benji.  His sanctimonious speechifying drives me nuts.

9 minutes ago, Jellybean13 said:

I'very been watching Days forever, and I'm the same age as Susan Seaforth Hayes.  So the memery can be faulty.  Can anyone remind me how many people Andre  murdered?  All I can remember are Renee and perhaps Benji.  His sanctimonious speechifying drives me nuts.

I know the list is extensive, but normal by Salem's standards.  However, I will never forgive him for killing Renee, Benji, and Lexie (true it was inadvertent, but still).

• Love 2

I generally like Julie, but that meltdown was really over the top.   That said, I'm just glad Hope's secret is finally out in the open. Now I hope she goes to jail and is seen as often as poor Eric is, which is never.  I need a Hope break.  As well as a Rafe break.

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, Jellybean13 said:

I think there were at least a half dozen back in the 80s when he was the Salem Slasher. And there have been more since. I think Benji may have been his most recent one? Needless to say, there were many. Boggles my mind how he roams free. i know Stefano , and even Victor , were crime bosses with blood on their hands, but Andre killed more people by how OWN hand than anyone else in Salem (I think) 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Happytobehere said:

I know the list is extensive, but normal by Salem's standards.  However, I will never forgive him for killing Renee, Benji, and Lexie (true it was inadvertent, but still).

He also killed Trista Evans, who was Marlena's cousin and Kayla's best friend. He also tried to kill Hope as well.. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

He also killed Trista Evans, who was Marlena's cousin and Kayla's best friend. He also tried to kill Hope as well.. 

It is bad enough he has killed random Salemites in the past but I think the major sticking point is the fact that he is responsible for three of his siblings deaths.  Renee and Benji was horrible enough in their own right.  But Lexie was always Stefano's favorite, he should of murdered Andre on sight for causing Lexie's death. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Wow, Arianna actually speaks!

God, that "I killed Stefano" on an endless loop was annoying as hell.

Gabi looked great in her costume.

Why were they having a decorating party on Halloween night?  Shouldn't they have been decorating leading up to the day?

Who was that guy suggesting they adjourn to the police station?  Acting mayor?

Geez, Gabi, make up your mind whether you want to be with Chad or JJ.

"Raines assures me that Roman is taking this seriously."  Uh, it's his sister and his ex wife, I HOPE he's taking it seriously.

Jeez, why can't any of these women do things for themselves without their men having to save them?

The loop would have been more effective with one or two plays.

Gabi likes the safety and dullness and normalness of JJ (except him being a lowly cop), but finds Chad wealthy and a better catch. JJ's apartment is no match for a mansion.

The women are trapped in old society roles. The man is the hero, the saviour, and will always rescue them. It's 2016 and they should learn how to rescue themselves and be strong and independent.

The two boxes reminded me of the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I didn't watch the show back then. How did Mary Beth and Deidre play those scenes when the news of that hit?  Were they both good?

1 hour ago, JBC344 said:

It is bad enough he has killed random Salemites in the past but I think the major sticking point is the fact that he is responsible for three of his siblings deaths.  Renee and Benji was horrible enough in their own right.  But Lexie was always Stefano's favorite, he should of murdered Andre on sight for causing Lexie's death. 

I never did understand how Stefano had any "feelings" for Andre. I remember when Andre was in the quicksand (back in 1983) begging for help, Stefano basically told him he was a monster and also said something similar to "don't think I ever forgot about what you did to Renee! You've outlived your usefulness to me." And he walked away, and let Andre "die". (Though Tony , at the last moment, tried unsuccessfully to pull him out). Man, I miss the 80s! Apparently at some point Stefano DID forget what Andre did to Renee. And Lexie. And Benji. And Tony.

Edited by neuromom
  • Love 4

It just occurred to me that the only major thing Hope did in the last few weeks to earn a commendation would be saving Jennifer from being blown up at the pub, and yet Jennifer didn't even attend the ceremony for the one thing that Hope did correctly.

Did they even try to explain how help manage to do an entire wardrobe change at the police station? Was there a throwaway line about her having a sweater stuffed into her desk?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

It just occurred to me that the only major thing Hope did in the last few weeks to earn a commendation would be saving Jennifer from being blown up at the pub, and yet Jennifer didn't even attend the ceremony for the one thing that Hope did correctly.

Did they even try to explain how Hope managed to do an entire wardrobe change at the police station? Was there a throwaway line about her having a sweater stuffed into her desk?

1 hour ago, neuromom said:

I never did understand how Stefano had any "feelings" for Andre. I remember when Andre was in the quicksand (back in 1983) begging for help, Stefano basically told him he was a monster and also said something similar to "don't think I ever forgot about what you did to Renee! You've outlived your usefulness to me." And he walked away, and let Andre "die". (Though Tony , at the last moment, tried unsuccessfully to pull him out). Man, I miss the 80s! Apparently at some point Stefano DID forget what Andre did to Renee. And Lexie. And Benji. And Tony.

Andre should never have come back...His death in the 80's was a perfect sendoff..  He was a serial killer that left a calling card with his victims...He took pleasure in killing his victims... Andre killed 5 women and 1 man, during his original run.  He attempted to kill people at that time as well.  Hope was one of those people.

The show's obsession with the Dimeras has truly brought the show down in so many ways.  Stefano had layers in the 80's and was a force to be reckon with...He became a pathetic joke in the 90's and beyond...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Michel said:

I didn't watch the show back then. How did Mary Beth and Deidre play those scenes when the news of that hit?  Were they both good?

I did not see it in real time.  I was too young at the time.  I saw alot of the shows in the 80's via youtube before they got pulled off..I think it was the original Kayla that grieved over Trista's death. If I am wrong, then somebody can correct me..Mary beth came on the show as a recast Kayla, when Bo's paternity was revealed and Kim summoned her, to be there for Bo, who was having a hard time, dealing with the news, that, he was Victor's biological son..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I did not see it in real time.  I was too young at the time.  I saw alot of the shows in the 80's via youtube before they got pulled off..I think it was the original Kayla that grieved over Trista's death. If I am wrong, then somebody can correct me..Mary beth came on the show as a recast Kayla, when Bo's paternity was revealed and Kim summoned her, to be there for Bo, who was having a hard time, dealing with the news, that, he was Victor's biological son..

I believe you are correct. I think the early 80s was Catherine Mary Stuart as Kayla- when Josh Taylor was playing Chris. 

And I agree with you wholeheartedly on your assessment of Andre and Stefano. Early Stefano was so much fun to watch.

There is no "worst" on Days anymore.  Every friggin day, it's worse.  

Julie was on today, acting with all the understated skill of a frozen waffle and we saw Doug parading looking like Vivian Vance in a  bad spoof of Here's Lucy!

And they were nowhere near the worst.  Not.  Even.  Close.

Orpheus started out okay, but he's become the Rafe of bad guys.

Edited by boes
  • Love 5

How come Orpheus was able to get that big thug Laszlo to work with him.  Where the heck did that guy come from?

GG's best acting to date has to be his hair styled the ancient Rome way.  I thought he looked cute.

Hope's Cleopatra costume looked very cheap and thrown together.

I see Andre finally got his revenge.  Hope should never have admit to anything.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, gazebo said:

How come Orpheus was able to get that big thug Laszlo to work with him.  Where the heck did that guy come from?

GG's best acting to date has to be his hair styled the ancient Rome way.  I thought he looked cute.

Hope's Cleopatra costume looked very cheap and thrown together.

I see Andre finally got his revenge.  Hope should never have admit to anything.

So do we give GG the credit for the acting..or give it to his hairstylist?

• Love 1

Hope is an idiot for admitting anything let alone confessing.  Stefano should have died a horrible painful death years ago, and stayed dead.  Andre should have died an even more horrible and painful death years ago, and stayed dead.

• Love 5

Ugh- this uneven pacing is really bothering me- which stinks because I think some really interesting things are going on.  Maybe it's just me, but did both John and Steve seem remarkably laid back about the whole "kidnapped wives" thing?  There just didn't seem to be any urgency.  Steve was just sort of hanging around the police station- I know he was "coordinating with the police" or whatever- but I just wanted to light a fire under him :)- sorry, not sorry.  

The framing of the stories just didn't match up- burning alive is an every minute counts kind of way story and in the next scene you have John telling Paul don't bother checking out that lead- and he doesn't. Joey is at a party- looking stupid- while mom's being barbecued???  Paul, Sonny, and what's his name are having a beer and watching football instead of helping with the "rescue"?  The stakes should have been much higher- it should have been over the top and ridiculous but it wasn't.    Orpheus, Kayla, and Marlena played it that way, but nobody else did.  

And I hate Hope's sweater which I have a feeling she will be wearing for a long long time.

Edited by penguinnj
  • Love 2

Drake's absence was so obvious today.  They must have had to re-write all his scenes and that's why Paul, Sonny & Derrick were on so much.  Was that even John who barged into the warehouse with Steve. The lighting was so bad (as usual) I couldn't tell, and wondered if it was a stand-in, since we got no scenes with John and Marlena.  Sorry to see Orpheus dead ... again.  I kept watching as they threw the sheet over him to see if he twitched or anything. Didn't look like it. But of course, when has a character's death ever stopped a soap from bringing back a dead character. Even 30 years later! 

As much as I've been hating Hope lately, I did feel bad for her today. Rafe and Roman are, so far, off the hook, when they had as much to do with the coverup and she did. At least the show addressed it.  And I guess they can't all end up in prison, though I'd be fine with that.

• Love 2

Chad is entitled to feel how he feels about Stefano being dead.   Yet what he isn't allowed to do is play the "my father was a good man" card.   Newsflash,  Chad,  your dad hurt many lives up until the very end.   He and Andre eveb brought Aiden to romance Hope to kill exort her from her insurance policy.   Yeah great father!   Rafe hit the nail on the head that if Abby was in that same position (which she was when she burnt up Ben in the bed and went nuts)  he'd walk over hot coals for her!   So it is funny he's trying to be a hypocrite.  
My favorite part was when Roman and Justin corned Chad and Chad was rambling on about dear ol daddy being killed and Roman,  batched botoxed face,  just smiled.   So good.   Roman is gleeful and for good reason.   Stefano was the reason why his perfect life went down the drain.   So him getting a kick out of Stefano being axed was low key funny. 

Did Marlena take a power nap in the coffin?  Once she did I swear we didn't see her anymore this episode ? 

Nevertheless I think the performances were really good today.  No complaints.

• Love 6

I wish they would give Derrick more screen time and give him someone other than Sonny or Sparkle to interact with. He can do better than those two.

Stefano may have been a piece of shit who got what he deserved but I'm still Team Chad. Hope and Rafe are trash. 

What was the purpose of bringing Orpheous back only to kill him off again a few weeks later, then undead him, then kill him again a few episodes later?

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

What was the purpose of bringing Orpheous back only to kill him off again a few weeks later, then undead him, then kill him again a few episodes later?

They've run out of Dimeras to kill, undead, and kill again.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, buffynut said:

Drake's absence was so obvious today.  They must have had to re-write all his scenes and that's why Paul, Sonny & Derrick were on so much.  Was that even John who barged into the warehouse with Steve. The lighting was so bad (as usual) I couldn't tell, and wondered if it was a stand-in, since we got no scenes with John and Marlena.  Sorry to see Orpheus dead ... again.  I kept watching as they threw the sheet over him to see if he twitched or anything. Didn't look like it. But of course, when has a character's death ever stopped a soap from bringing back a dead character. Even 30 years later! 

As much as I've been hating Hope lately, I did feel bad for her today. Rafe and Roman are, so far, off the hook, when they had as much to do with the coverup and she did. At least the show addressed it.  And I guess they can't all end up in prison, though I'd be fine with that.

Ah, that would explain why one moment Orpheus was shot and then poof!  next second Kayla was out of the burning coffin and on a stretcher.

I did like this episode.  I admit I still get a kick out of Steve and John as badasses.  And Sonny and Sparkle giving each other the googly eyes is always a good episode in my book, even though that was all a bit awkward and contrived including the football game.

Edited by lilly6
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, buffynut said:

Drake's absence was so obvious today.  They must have had to re-write all his scenes and that's why Paul, Sonny & Derrick were on so much.  Was that even John who barged into the warehouse with Steve. The lighting was so bad (as usual) I couldn't tell, and wondered if it was a stand-in, since we got no scenes with John and Marlena.

That makes a lot of sense- thanks!

• Love 1

Hope is going to jail so as to not implicate Rafe and Roman.  Rafe and Roman must feel like big men now, not standing up and admitting their involvement, thus not letting Hope cop to a plea like Justin wanted.

Edited by Silver Raven
a missing "not" changes the meaning of what I meant.
  • Love 1

Maybe this is a dumb question, but considering the insane lead time, couldn't they have filmed an additional scene or two with Drake once he returned to set and spliced it into these exit episodes to smoothe the transition? (Assuming John is indeed about to vanish from the show)

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

God, that "I killed Stefano" on an endless loop was annoying as hell.

If some random dayplayer had shouted out, annoyed: "Whaddaya want, a parade?" I would have cheered (but given the all the suffering Stefano visited on the townsfolk over the years, they probably should offer Hope a medal). My only interest in this story is seeing how it affects Chad's relationship with Hope -- and I hope the writing actually reflects Chad's ambivalence about his father, at least as far as it affects Hope, though I'm not holding my breath on that count. (The scene between Flynn and Alfonso was actually pretty well acted, I thought. Although I don't see a private conference for Hope and the victim's next of kin ever happening in the police station.)

1 hour ago, penguinnj said:

They must have had to re-write all his scenes and that's why Paul, Sonny & Derrick were on so much.

Is that why Derrick was offering Sparkle "backup"? Is this one of the kooky Halloweens where people's costumes transform them into the characters represented? Does Derrick think he's an actual cowboy? Have I mentioned how over Agent Sparkle, Super Cop and Private Eye I am yet? Because: Oy vey.

• Love 3

Sparkle looked pretty cheesy in his er, robe and too much skin showing. Cover yourself up when you have guests.

Bye, Orpheus. Hopefully you aren't dead-dead, and just semi-dead, so you can return. The burning 'coffins' were a bit much.

Chad, you have every right to mourn your father. You do also need a bit of a reality check of his history and your family's history. And accept it. Your relatives were really not 'good' people. Yes, you are a fairly new minted DiMera, but your family has killed many people and has had a very long obsession with many Salemites, with the wish to destroy them. Yup, Hope shot him but there would have been dozens in line to take her place. Maybe she did indeed have PTSD, or not in a place to understand her actions ( temporary insanity). There should never have been a cover-up. Surely someone could have done a makeup job with Stefano to make it look like natural causes.

• Love 4

What would be interesting if they used Chad's anger as misguided over his biological parents both being dead, as opposed to his "mourning" Stefano, whom he was never close with to begin.  Chad was the least involved Dimera outside of Benjy.  His actual relationships were with Kate and Lexie. Sometimes he tolerated EJ, but was never really close to.  Hell, he was closer to Kristen than Stefano.

With Lexie, EJ, and Kristen gone I would rather he reaffirm his "mother/son" relationship with Kate, and I don't mind him getting close to Andre if he is here to stay. I think story wise Chad's anger works better as misguided emotion that he needs to work through and finally recognize Stefano for who he was.  Take whatever good you can from your interactions with him, but also acknowledge that he was a horrible man to others.

Once Lexie got control of her life, she was probably the only child who was able to appreciate Stefano as a father but also separate that from the things he has done over the years to her friends, and come to a "happy" medium.

What is more interesting to ponder is would Hope have killed Stefano if Lexie was still alive? 

• Love 8

Ooohh...that would have been good. Lexie would have been massively conflicted over Hope doing that.

I'm looking forward to some scenes where Abe, Theo and Marlena process this. Theo especially was blindsided by Stefano's murder...

• Love 4

I have a feeling that Chad is going to be the only one who gets to have a serious problem with Hope. Show sometimes likes to portray him as a Super Bad and Evil Dimeria - even though he's actually a far better person than the vast majority of the people in Salem - and obviously anyone who would dare criticize precious Hope is Bad. I'm sure Rafe/Roman/the Hortons will line up to tell him him what an asshole he's being for taking issue with the woman who murdered his *father*. 

• Love 7

When Sonny/Paul/Derrick decided to stay in (after Sonny's tights ripped) I was hoping they'd all look into each other's eyes and decide to take it upstairs for a three-way. It's been a while since Days' last three-way (Maggie, Mickey and Bonnie...wasn't the dog involved as well?)

• Love 2
12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but considering the insane lead time, couldn't they have filmed an additional scene or two with Drake once he returned to set and spliced it into these exit episodes to smoothe the transition? (Assuming John is indeed about to vanish from the show)

Maybe it would have just felt as odd as that scene of John and Steve on the pier that looked like it had been spliced in. And the scene of them barging into the warehouse that looked off to me as well.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, JBC344 said:

What would be interesting if they used Chad's anger as misguided over his biological parents both being dead, as opposed to his "mourning" Stefano, whom he was never close with to begin.  Chad was the least involved Dimera outside of Benjy.  His actual relationships were with Kate and Lexie. Sometimes he tolerated EJ, but was never really close to.  Hell, he was closer to Kristen than Stefano.

With Lexie, EJ, and Kristen gone I would rather he reaffirm his "mother/son" relationship with Kate, and I don't mind him getting close to Andre if he is here to stay. I think story wise Chad's anger works better as misguided emotion that he needs to work through and finally recognize Stefano for who he was.  Take whatever good you can from your interactions with him, but also acknowledge that he was a horrible man to others.

Once Lexie got control of her life, she was probably the only child who was able to appreciate Stefano as a father but also separate that from the things he has done over the years to her friends, and come to a "happy" medium.

What is more interesting to ponder is would Hope have killed Stefano if Lexie was still alive? 

I never really understood Chad's devotion to Stefano.    I don't think Stefano was capable of love for anybody.  It was all about having and exerting power over his children.  He was a sociopath. 

I don't think Lexie would judge Hope harshly at all, given that, she schemed to keep Zack away, from Hope, with Stefano's help.   She always knew that Stefano was an evil monster.  Marlena poisoning Stefano and putting him in that vegetative state was the perfect ending for him..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4
On 10/29/2016 at 8:37 AM, LeftPhalange said:

look no further than the Chloe pregnancy. Does ANYONE understand what is going on here?

Other than accommodating NB's actual pregnancy, NO!  

Edited by salvame
  • Love 3

This whole thing with Theresa being mixed up with some drug lord is coming out of nowhere. I mean, it's totally believable that she would get involved with criminals, but there was no setup to this. Shane just randomly appears and they start talking about some dude we've never met. 

STFU Jen, Adrienne, and unfortunately Lucas. Hope is a cop who murdered someone, you don't get to whine because the newspaper didn't paint her in a favorable light. No one in Salem should be proud of The Spectator if Jen is going to be editor in chief. It's probably just going to be used as a propaganda tool to make the Hortons and their friends look good. 

Chloe's pregnancy story is horrible. I don't know why the writers felt the need to make her seem so...reckless with her body.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, LeftPhalange said:

This whole thing with Theresa being mixed up with some drug lord is coming out of nowhere. I mean, it's totally believable that she would get involved with criminals, but there was no setup to this. Shane just randomly appears and they start talking about some dude we've never met. 

STFU Jen, Adrienne, and unfortunately Lucas. Hope is a cop who murdered someone, you don't get to whine because the newspaper didn't paint her in a favorable light. No one in Salem should be proud of The Spectator if Jen is going to be editor in chief. It's probably just going to be used as a propaganda tool to make the Hortons and their friends look good. 

Chloe's pregnancy story is horrible. I don't know why the writers felt the need to make her seem so...reckless with her body.

This is Dena here, the queen of WTF writing.  She does not know how to structure a story at all. I also expect some character assassinations to advance her stupid plots and her awful pets like Rafe.  We are in for a bumpy ride with the nightmare, Dena Higley.  Ken Corday is a fool for bringing her back..

• Love 5

I thought I'd be thrilled to see Shane for the first time in decades, but honestly I was bored.  Don't know what he was rambling on about and didn't care.  It didn't help that we couldn't even see him!      

It's been probably as long since I've seen Nancy, and that was a pleasant surprise.  

Hopefully Jennifer and Adrienne buying the Spectator will be a continuing story-line.  I know a lot of fans don't like Jenn anymore,  but as I missed most of Dannifer I still like her and am happy to see her doing something.  And a bonus that she is teaming up with Adrienne.                  

• Love 3

I never really understood Chad's devotion to Stefano.    I don't think Stefano was capable of love for anybody.  It was all about having and exerting power over his children.  He was a sociopath. 

His alleged father Peterson was no prize.  I think he clung to Stefano as a life raft.

Yay, Nancy!  I adore Patrika Darbo.  I wish they could have gotten Kevin Spirtas back.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, JBC344 said:

I think story wise Chad's anger works better as misguided emotion that he needs to work through and finally recognize Stefano for who he was.  Take whatever good you can from your interactions with him, but also acknowledge that he was a horrible man to others.

I think this could work, and if there is a recognition that Chad wasn't ever really that close to Stefano, as you say -- that in fact, for most of Chad's life Stefano had no use for Chad at all -- it would be all the stronger, I think. At the same time, nothing Chad said to Hope was factually incorrect; I think it could be interesting if Hope's motivation to confess, finally, is not to save Shut Up!Rafe's or Commissioner Grampa Mumbleteeth's reputation, but to save her own soul -- she has to recognize her own wrongdoing in order to live with herself.

I fundamentally don't understand how André can be taken seriously by anyone, including Chad. He's irreducible scum, even by the wonky standards of this town.

• Love 4

I was so glad Nancy told off Deimos!  It's about time!  You go, Nancy!

It's funny, I barely remember what the rest of this episode was about.  I guess I was mostly bored by the whole thing.

Oh yeah, what exactly is the deal with Theresa and this guy that was looking for her?

Nice seeing Charles Shaunessay again.

• Love 6

Given the current massive financial issues with most smaller print newspapers, I really question whether it is a sound business decision to buy The Spectator. Yes, it is 'romantic' to a point but it's not the 1980s any more. Print circulation is very low and most newspapers are online. Many have 'free' content and ads, but subscribers still get some of the good stuff, articlewise. Before buying the paper, Jenn and Adrienne really need to work with Justin or really anyone to come up with a sound business plan for the paper. Otherwise, what a waste of money. If it's to make the Hortons look good, that isn't journalism. Jenn could simply put together a brochure and mail it out to the Salem householders.

I've missed Nancy and her speaking her mind.

From what I saw of Shane, he seemed pretty grey. Kinda convenient that trouble is back for Theresa. No mention of her past - just something in LA. The Kiriakis family could easily deal with this dude, unless he is part of some cartel.

• Love 7

The highlight of yesterday's episode was seeing Shane - even if I hope we get to see him in full light at some point soon.  And as always, I enjoy Jen Lilley, a lot.

Sparkle sure is back to being.....Sparkle.   He just seems like a product placement for some tooth-whitening product more than he does a character, to me.  And IMO, the lack of any spark between him and Sonny is enough to make me put on a sweater.

One thing - Show might want to try to me a tad more realistic.  Who on EARTH leaves ice cream uneated, especially in flavors you love?  Which probably says a whole lot more about me than it does about Show, come to think of it.

• Love 5