Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

Plus, they are given Paul and Sonny alot of angst so that when Sonny does come back. They will have alot of obstacles keeping them from true love. The writers are so predictable...Will's ghost will be a factor as well... I hope that Ari is old enough by the time Paulson happens, so that she can be against it....lol She could be a mixture of Ciara and Sami...I hope the show have Sonny formally adopt Arianna to solidy his role in her life, now that Will is deceased..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

Persevered. Sonny broke my heart - wonderful job by Freddie. But man things better lighten up in due time.

I loved Stefano looking like he was about to sock Sami in the jaw from his wheelchair, with his oxygen mask in other hand.I think AS is tearing it up in these scenes, but she's still a bit annoying in her Sami way. In my opinion : ) She was also great when she first caught a glimpse of the handwriting on the letter potentially from EJ. I guess that opens the door to them both coming back if the show can wrestle them into it? 

• Love 3

So this serial killer story really is just a way to prop the worthless Chad/Abifail relationship. Why else make Chad the suspect and have to dumb everyone down to the point where they actually believe Chad is a serial killer. I think it actually would have been better if Sami and Lucas didn't think Chad was guilty. How would they deal with the fact that they think Chad is innocent but also accept that there are no other suspects so they have no one to direct their anger towards. I think that would have been more interesting than this. Sami has been falsely accused of murder twice so she should definitely be weary of putting her faith in the Brady and Friends Police Department.

There was no reason for Sparkle to show up to Will and Sonny's apartment. Leave Sonny alone. 

• Love 8

I always know when a storyline has me by the throat when I resent other storylines, even ones with good actors, taking me out of that particular one.  Today was like that.  As much as I truly did enjoy the skill on display from both KdP and A. Martinez, and the excellent work by Judi Evans and Mary Beth Evans, I was itching to get back to Sami and Marlena.

But, that said, when I was watching Eve talking with Eddie, I was wishing that this was the character we saw more of, the calmer, more collected, less crazy Eve.  I think this characterization would have driven better story and would have been a better use of KdP's talents.  A. Martinez, also, now that vigilante aspect of his character has been put to rest leaves me wondering what's next, and in a good way.

Kayla and Adrienne had me choked up almost immediately. I know, I know, Adrienne wasn't supportive of Will and Sonny, especially in the beginning, but frankly, Sneasel proved her more right than wrong.  But that doesn't negate her sadness, both for her son and for Will.  Kayla annoyed me in a good way, but setting aside her own grief to focus on Adrienne's needs regarding the breast cancer.  Kayla needs to focus on herself more, give her own needs and circumstances equal due.

And wasn't it great to see Dr. Tan reduced to the status of a day player?  Made my wizened heart soar.

Marlena killed it again today, IMO.  And in her own way, so did Sami.  Sami's speech to Chad about knowing him since he was a child, knowing how he liked his pancakes, sort of wondering how he could do this, and making the connection to Stefano's horrific parenting skills -and then that pillow - all good.  Equally good, Marlena restraining her, and then their conversation, one as always that doesn't end in an understanding, exactly, but where they always end up, not exactly on opposite sides, but neither quite understanding the other, with that enduring but uneasy love between the two.

John's origin storyline.  OK....it could be good but this HAS to be the last time he goes down this route. Hell, if his parents are alive, they'd be old enough to be the missing links.  Sparkle Pretty and his chicklet mouth leaves me as unmoved as always.  And his "you're my dad" shit seemed just a bit creepy.  As for his showing up at Sonny's door, unless he's become a missionary from the Church of Latter Day Saints, he had no business pulling that crap.    Sparkle was a bad idea who has just gotten worse.  But golly GEE WHIZ, Jawn's his DAD!!!  

• Love 9

I think they should have had Sonny and Paul stumble across each other in Murder Park or something instead of Paul inexplicably showing up at the apartment. 

Also?  Let's not forget that when they last saw each other, Sonny and Paul ended on a totally harmonious note.  And Sonny is the person he loves and Paul wanting to help him anyway he can, even if it's not a great idea to involve himself at this juncture, isn't that outrageous to me.

• Love 4

It  is totally inappropriate for him to go over to Sonny's and Will's place..He needs to go somewhere and have several seats..He has no boundaries, just like when he was watching Arianna...He  is just like Daniel who had no problem insinuating himself in Jack's family..I feel like this is Jack's death all over again...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

...and I said in my post that it would have made more sense for them to run across each other somewhere neutral.  I get the soapy reasons/necessity for them to share angsty face-to-face alone, but the set-up here was a lousy call.

I mean, sorry I don't hate Paul with an all-consuming rage, but I don't.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 5

I have to endure Paul just like I had to endure the nightmare that was Dannifer...Jennifer will never recover from that....New Year's eve is going to be glorious in Salem...I cannot wait...

Edited by radishcake
Removed possible spoilers

Why Moments on Today's Ep.

1) Eduardo is staying in Salem.

2) Taniel scenes.

3) Paul scenes.

4) Paul has the nerve to go to Will's apartment.

5) EJ from the dead letter.

Good Moments on Today's Ep.

1) Sami and Marlena

2) Sami tries to kill Chad.

3) Kayla scenes with Adrienne (See how lovely Kayla looks when you don't try to dress her like a frump)

3) Sonny scenes.

4) When Stefano was getting ready to deck Sami, wheelchair and oxygen be damned.

• Love 6

Why hasn't Sparkle's departure been announced yet? Are they planning on keeping him around with no love interest? Are they planning on bringing on a new guy for him and expecting the audience to care about two newbies being paired up?

• Love 3

Did I mishear or did Adrienne say she loved Justin since she was 17??? Somehow I didn't ever get the impression that she was that young when she showed up in town.

I always thought Adrienne was a teen when she came to Salem. I would have guessed 18 or 19 max. I guess 17 is plausible but I would have gone with 18.

• Love 2

Why Moments on Today's Ep.

1) Eduardo is staying in Salem.

2) Taniel scenes.

3) Paul scenes.

4) Paul has the nerve to go to Will's apartment.

5) EJ from the dead letter.

Good Moments on Today's Ep.

1) Sami and Marlena

2) Sami tries to kill Chad.

3) Kayla scenes with Adrienne (See how lovely Kayla looks when you don't try to dress her like a frump)

3) Sonny scenes.

4) When Stefano was getting ready to deck Sami, wheelchair and oxygen be damned.

I loved that Stefano scene.He has always had a weird fascination for Hope, Sami and Marlena...

• Love 3

I'm getting tired of watching everyone in mourning.  I wish they'd just had an explosion/tornado/flood/earthquake/UFO crash etc. during the Haiden wedding / bicentennial celebration to weed out the characters they no longer wanted.  End result would be the same, but we viewers would not have had to watch weeks of people mourning and Bo and the characters we don't know torturing him.

• Love 5

The problem is that the new writers are doing too much too fast and it is jarring....They should have come into the show a year and a half  ago.. Plus, we have other characters that are going to be mourned on the horizon. The misery is going to continue..I can't say too much in this thread...

I'm pretty sure Betty and Ted Corday are rolling over in their graves seeing the what their son has done to their show. He's a disgrace!

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

Wow, Paul seems really broken up over Will doesn't he? You'd never know he slept with him or anything...

To be fair, Will treated him like absolute garbage.  I wouldn't have been so broken up over it, either.

Edited by Bryce Smith
  • Love 4

Why hasn't Sparkle's departure been announced yet? Are they planning on keeping him around with no love interest?

Yes, they are keeping him around.  If you don't like him, don't watch him, but the show is not getting rid of him just because you want them to!

So sorry I also don't hate Paul, but it had to be said.

Edited by Bryce Smith
  • Love 5

Yes, they are keeping him around.  If you don't like him, don't watch him, but the show is not getting rid of him just because you want them to!

So sorry I also don't hate Paul, so it had to be said.

I am asking this seriously as I came back at the end of June/beginning of July. Why do you like Paul? I find him boring (as a character and an actor -- I find myself drifting off when he is on-screen) and inappropriate in his interactions with people in the few scenes I've seen with him. However, not seeing his introduction, I am willing to accept that when the character was introduced/shown more than he is currently, there was something there to make him a workable character.

• Love 1

They are keeping Paul around for now...Dena did not seem too happy about writing for him in that interview..He is going to be there to support John's story..She also did not like the retcon that he is John's son..Jarlena fans hate that about him....I was watching the show during the Maison Blanche era and there is no way that John was with Paul's mother..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

I am asking this seriously as I came back at the end of June/beginning of July. Why do you like Paul?

I like him because he seems like a nice person.  And from what I've seen, he's one of the few people on canvas to have not committed any crimes (or if he has, they are relatively minor compared to all of the other characters on the show).  He's made mistakes, but he's been one of few characters to consistently own up to them.  Yes, his attachment to Sonny is a bit annoying, and I'm not sure if I was crazy about making him John's son, either, but it doesn't change the fact that Paul on his own seems like one of the few good people in Salem who actually is an overall good person.

I do wish there was more that could be done with him, but as he is, I'm okay with him.  I like him just fine.

• Love 3

I'm pretty sure Betty and Ted Corday are rolling over in their graves seeing the what their son has done to their show. He's a disgrace!

They are probably banging on the lids of their coffins screaming, "what the hell kind of a 50th anniversary of our show is this crap! We should have disowned Ken." 

• Love 4

I believe Paul is only being kept on because they don't want a backlash for rapidly de-gaying the show. I have no doubt that they are not keen on writing for him - especially anything to do with his love life - so they are simply having him appear as a support to John's storyline. I fully expect that, in the course of John's investigation into his identity, it will come out that he can't be Paul's biological father, and the character will be quietly written out. Just give it a few months of sporadic appearances; they need the hubbub over Will's senseless murder to die down first.

The ratings among the coveted demographic of women aged 18-34 was at a 16-month peak last week so the show knows what it's doing. Enough lapsed viewers, who weren't fans of the proliferation of gay characters or who felt Guy Wilson wasn't sufficiently handsome/talented, tuned back in to see his Will have the life choked out of him. So what if a couple of bloggers raise a stink about the murder? From a business perspective, it makes sense to lose a couple of critics in order to gain a few thousand viewers. It's a plus that it means Corday's (and Griffith's) gay-free vision for the show can be realized.

Frankly, I'm amazed Corday ever allowed there to be any gays on the show to begin with! Was he asleep at the wheel when that happened? It must be those steamy Will-Paul sex scenes that woke him up. I seem to recall the firings began shortly after that aired ...

Edited by Aymery
  • Love 2

I believe Paul is only being kept on because they don't want a backlash for rapidly de-gaying the show. I have no doubt that they are not keen on writing for him - especially anything to do with his love life - so they are simply having him appear as a support to John's storyline. I fully expect that, in the course of John's investigation into his identity, it will come out that he can't be Paul's biological father, and the character will be quietly written out. Just give it a few months of sporadic appearances; they need the hubbub over Will's senseless murder to die down first.

Perfectly said... I wish that I could like your post 1000 times...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

To throw in my own two cents about Paul, I think Christopher Sean's a pretty good actor and I think he and Freddie Smith had pretty good chemistry, but mostly I was just thrilled that what felt like eons of Will and Sonny standing around smiling blandly and folding baby clothes was over and the show was going to give the gay some drama just like everyone else.  Paul and Will sleeping together not knowing about the Sonny connections was soapy as fuck.

But the writing really fell apart, and worse, got really repetitive as Will kept scheming even though he had won, Sonny kept forgiving even though he kept getting fucked over, and Paul kept coming off like a stalker to some because the show didn't know how to write this triangle.

As for Paul's status now, I think he either needs a real reset/reboot (which I can't see the writers giving him) or, yeah, he could easily be phased out (and isn't Christopher Sean doing like a huge guest arc on some CBS show?  I could see him being fine with getting cut loose if he's having primetime success).

• Love 4

The ratings among the coveted demographic of women aged 18-34 was at a 16-month peak last week so the show knows what it's doing. 

But will the ratings stay up??? That is the real question. People are tuning back in for the murders and the return of previous characters but that doesn't mean they'll stay around when the shock value killings and "50th celebrations" wear off.  And that might be the show's biggest failure, not retaining viewers. What they've created with the current storylines may only have temporary results. I'll freely admit I"m mostly just back for Steve and Kayla, and the show has been dragging their feet on that. 

• Love 3

I am wondering if Sami will ever find out that Clyde arranged for EJ to be shot and that Clyde's son is the one who killed her son. Are the show runners going to just ignore this?

I think AS is doing a wonderful job. It's understandable that she thinks Chad is guilty since the people she trusts most in the world are telling her he did it.

The only thing that really bothered me today was when Marlena decided to go ahead and talk about her and John. She thought it was a good idea to tell Sami, a widow who husband was murdered only a year ago and whose son was just murdered yesterday, that she understood because John had been taken away from her a couple of times.

I kind of get what she going for but John has been a bone of contention between Sami and her for years and John is still alive. Will is dead and not coming back. Also, why does she always have to bring John every the situation. How about just letting your daughter grieve in her own way and just being there for her (even if it means you just listen to her and don't put in your own two cents) instead of pushing her to do it your way?

Sorry but it just really gets me. I was widowed at an early age only months after our daughter almost died. What you need at those times is unconditional love and support not someone telling you how you should be responding. YMMV as always.

• Love 9

How would John's investigation into his origins prove he didn't father Paul or any of his children?

They don't have to undo the Paternity to write Paul out.

Also, I agree Marlena using losing John as a comparison was odd. Especially since she actually lost a child.

Edited by Jewlmc
  • Love 1

It's understandable that she thinks Chad is guilty since the people she trusts most in the world are telling her he did it.

Which people she trusts in the world are telling her he did it? Rafe's not and Marlena's not. Both of whom think Chad's innocent. Even Hope is on the fence. Sami looked like an idiot trying to kill an innocent man when she really doesn't know he did it and she should also know better. She said herself about how he'd play games with the kids, knows what he eats for breakfast and was Will's best friend. She and nobody is thinking, what would Chad's motive to murder Will be? 

They're making everyone except Rafe look so stupid. 

• Love 3

I am wondering if Sami will ever find out that Clyde arranged for EJ to be shot and that Clyde's son is the one who killed her son. Are the show runners going to just ignore this?

I think AS is doing a wonderful job. It's understandable that she thinks Chad is guilty since the people she trusts most in the world are telling her he did it.

The only thing that really bothered me today was when Marlena decided to go ahead and talk about her and John. She thought it was a good idea to tell Sami, a widow who husband was murdered only a year ago and whose son was just murdered yesterday, that she understood because John had been taken away from her a couple of times.

I kind of get what she going for but John has been a bone of contention between Sami and her for years and John is still alive. Will is dead and not coming back. Also, why does she always have to bring John every the situation. How about just letting your daughter grieve in her own way and just being there for her (even if it means you just listen to her and don't put in your own two cents) instead of pushing her to do it your way?

Sorry but it just really gets me. I was widowed at an early age only months after our daughter almost died. What you need at those times is unconditional love and support not someone telling you how you should be responding. YMMV as always.

Yes, we need some pay-off.  Not only will this affect Sami, it will affect Stefano, whose one son was murdered and the other set up for murder by the hillbilly father /son nutcases.  The ones that Kate is responsible for bringing to town. If Sami ever puts that together......

• Love 5

I really demand we see that resolution. Long overdue.

Paul's acting was lame today. Did he need to sound like Jimmy Olsen while reacting to John's story? Side note: holy poop is John's origin convoluted!!

I am all for reversing the retcon of Paul and John's DNA bond.

• Love 2

I have so many thoughts about this storyline, none of them good. There's too much that makes no sense to take it seriously, but at least Paul and Sonny are back on my screen. I have to say DOOL is wasting the heck out of Christopher Sean's talent with this John trying to figure out his past crap. Does it really truly matter anymore? Is he gonna stop being Marlena's husband, Belle, Brady, and Paul's father John Black? I might be able to understand it better if he were like 17 and hadn't gone through this whole "who am i?" crap four times but seriously.... I do not care John.

As for Sonny.... my Sonny <3 Heart broke. I don't get how Paul would know Sonny was there (and maybe he has no idea Sonny is there- I'm reserving judgement). But at least Sonny has a friend to lean on, if they get the whole awkward sexual tension grief stuff out the way and just let them be just friends again (I'm still team Paul+Sonny but like wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down the line).

As for Will- good lord I have so many thoughts. I don't care too much that he's dead because he's been grating my nerves since adulthood, but he deserved so much more in terms of death scene and fallout then he's gotten and the writers should be ashamed of themselves for the beats they are completely speeding past- why didn't I see Kate finding out in real time? Where the heck is Roman? Why does this phone call get Sonny to come home when Will said absolutely nothing different and has probably called him multiple times? Why does John seem so damn... unaffected? Why is EJ's letter being brought up on Will's death week? Who cares about Daniel and Nicole's wedding right now? Does Sonny even know his best friend is being accused of his husband's murder? Why is no one in fear of their lives when a psycho is on the loose? Lucas, Kate, Sonny, and Gabi are my stars of the week though.

• Love 3

Count me in as another Paul fan. I think it's ridiculous to ask "why do you like Paul?"  To which I say "Why do you like (insert your favorite here)?"

Look, we all have our favorites for whatever reason(s), as well as our non-favorites. That's what makes the soap world go round.

• Love 7

I don't even have any history with Gabi, but she and Sonny at the apartment was one of the only times I've felt anything all week. OK, few. I've also liked Sami, Marlena and Sami, Adrienne/Sonny/Justin, and Brady, but only when he was at Marlena's. I haven't actually cried though.

I can't say that this is because I've only been back to the show for about a year plus and therefore do not have enough connection to these people. This was my show in the 80s. I still have great affection for Marlena, Hope, Kayla, Adrienne, Justin.

In comparison, I watched OLTL regularly for several years in the early 2000s, quit almost entirely for several years, and when I started up again I had not been watching for long when we had The Day of the Hat, which was followed by several days of the best television I'd seen in years, most which involved people I did not know well and/or was not terribly invested in, but nevertheless had me sitting on my couch in a puddle.

That was good writing. This, for the most part, is not.

• Love 1

Count me in as another Paul fan. I think it's ridiculous to ask "why do you like Paul?"  To which I say "Why do you like (insert your favorite here)?"

Look, we all have our favorites for whatever reason(s), as well as our non-favorites. That's what makes the soap world go round.

I love my Sparkle.  I don't really understand all the vitriol against him but its a fictional TV show and I really don't care! I think he's a good actor and very pretty and I always enjoy seeing him.  I think he was Sonny's true love.  So be it.

• Love 4

I love my Sparkle.  I don't really understand all the vitriol against him but its a fictional TV show and I really don't care! I think he's a good actor and very pretty and I always enjoy seeing him.  I think he was Sonny's true love.  So be it.

I love me some Paul too. I think people can have multiple true loves/soulmates and Paul and Sonny, in my opinion, are definitely each other's "the one that got away" (probably why I'm completely opposed to the idea of supercouples). I think the show would be complete idiots getting rid of Paul at this point- Christopher Sean's popularity both on DOOL and off is only growing and his Japanese background is upping the diversity factor.

The show can keep touting out that "look, highest ratings in 7 months" crap but the people who have been watching throughout TomSell and were watching the period they are comparing these new high ratings to know that it was the week that the Sonny/Paul/Will triangle exploded. I don't care what they say about unpopular storylines- for about 5 months, the Paulson/Wilson storyline was the only thing on DAYS worth watching for me, because I certainly was not tuning in to watch Melanie and Brady, Daniel and Nicole, Eric and Serena, or JJ and Paige, etc.

• Love 4

Which people she trusts in the world are telling her he did it? Rafe's not and Marlena's not. Both of whom think Chad's innocent. Even Hope is on the fence. Sami looked like an idiot trying to kill an innocent man when she really doesn't know he did it and she should also know better. She said herself about how he'd play games with the kids, knows what he eats for breakfast and was Will's best friend. She and nobody is thinking, what would Chad's motive to murder Will be? 

They're making everyone except Rafe look so stupid. 

While I think it's a little silly that half of the town has jumped on the Chad is guilty bandwagon, I could easily see how Sami would also have that information. She wasn't in town before Will was killed and thus has only been thrown this information/the predominate opinion since her return while trying to process that her first born is gone. And while Rafe doesn't think Chad did it and Marlena has her doubts, there is an APB out for Chad and he's listed as the top suspect. Plus Sami knows how the Dimeras operate so her assuming Chad is the killer isn't exactly out in left field. 

• Love 5

It is pretty glaring that Roman has been nowhere this week while his precious baby girl is in mourning. But then, I am equally perplexed by how the show uses Abe, who seems to appear and disappear every 27th episode or so.

Perhaps a dumb question but does Eve have a job in Salem? I don't remember if she ever agreed to the book deal with Jennifer and got money from that or what.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2

You are going to need it Lastwaltz and swtrgrl..Sonny and Gabi killed me..I know alot of people are going to say that Sonny is sanctifying Will, I don't think it was that at all..It was having regret and not having closure with Will..If Will was dying of an illness, it would be  one thing..To be brutally murdered, one suffers when you are being strangled. The body wants to fight to survive. Plus, Sonny has always been protective of Will..In his mind had he been there, perhaps he would not have been killed..He will never have another chance at making it work with Will..He lost his family..I understand why he feels guilty...It has nothing to do with the problems in their marriage...

Stalker Paul just had to intrude on Sonny's time alone in his home that he shared with Will..Go away Paul. Jeez...Will is not yet 6 feet under, look at him come, sniffing yet again at Sonny...Yuck....I would not be surprise if they have grief sex..Since Ken Corday is degaying  the show. I will be spared that....

I agree 100%. Sonny has always been protective of Will from the moment they met...and especially after Will finally came out. 

I was so pissed Paul showed up to the apartment. Wait until at least after the funeral to make your move, asshat.

I believe Paul is only being kept on because they don't want a backlash for rapidly de-gaying the show. 

Frankly, I'm amazed Corday ever allowed there to be any gays on the show to begin with! Was he asleep at the wheel when that happened? It must be those steamy Will-Paul sex scenes that woke him up. I seem to recall the firings began shortly after that aired ...

Yes, Paul is being kept to prop up John's stupid story...and to have "a gay" on so we can't complain about the de-gaying of DOOL.

As much as I'm not impressed at all by Christopher Sean (he's nice to look at, tho) or Paul as a character, even I have to admit...I've rewatched Will-Paul sex scenes a lot. It definitely was hot.

Edited by swtrgrl
  • Love 2

I think KM is actually trying and this is the best that she can do.

She no longer does the weird judgmental looks, but without that Abigail pretty much has zero personality. It's like her whole personality was based on casting side-eye, and now that that's gone, there's ...poof...nothing. 

• Love 2

I agree 100%. Sonny has always been protective of Will from the moment they met...and especially after Will finally came out. 

I was so pissed Paul showed up to the apartment. Wait until at least after the funeral to make your move, asshat.

Yes, Paul is being kept to prop up John's stupid story...and to have "a gay" on so we can't complain about the de-gaying of DOOL.

As much as I'm not impressed at all by Christopher Sean (he's nice to look at, tho) or Paul as a character, even I have to admit...I've rewatched Will-Paul sex scenes a lot. It definitely was hot.

I read  on another site that the Will-Paul sex scenes were blacked out in some stations around the country....They did not want to offend certain people....

I read  on another site that the Will-Paul sex scenes were blacked out in some stations around the country....They did not want to offend certain people....

Well, I feel sorry for those areas b/c HOT HOT HOT HOT. 

(then again, that is my kind of "thing."...straight married 40ish woman who loves her gay story lines)

Edited by swtrgrl
  • Love 2

That is just so wrong. If Days is going to engage in censorship to appease certain viewers, then they can start blacking out Trollop's scenes for me because I find her the most offensive person on the show. 

• Love 8

Plus Sami knows how the Dimeras operate so her assuming Chad is the killer isn't exactly out in left field.

But yet when there was an APB out for EJ killing his dad, everyone like Roman were telling her EJ was guilty, when all the evidence was planted and pointing to him. She went on a mission that EJ wouldn't do it, she said the police were wrong (which they were) and even went on the run with him.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 2