Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Zunami

That was ok.  I guess.  I'm curious what the hell they are doing in Nebraska, because they were in Eastern Kansas heading west last episode.

Murphy still has a soul -- kind of, and while he saves the group, he feeds the family he robs to the zombie dad of the family.  Though I think even he realizes he needs to get to the lab ASAFP because he knows that he is slowly turning into a Z.

Citizen Z is clearly an idiot and almost kills himself and the dog (that still doesn't have a name after all this time) because he likes indoor golfing -- and hallucinating like a mad man along the way.  I liked Yuri even if he was a manifestation of Z's mind.

Doc still rules -- and has some of the best one-liners.

Otis -- not very bright, basically killed himself.

Where are Addy and Mack ?  Did they hole up somewhere to wait out the herd of zombies ?  If so, where are they ?

• Love 4

I'm having a big problem with what Murphy did.  I have to give it to the show that I really thought he'd change his mind and bring the water back for the little girl but nope he actuallyhas them murdered by the father.  Are you F****** KIDDING ME? I couldn't believe what I was seeing and death by zombie is way worse than if he'd pseudo mercy killed them by shooting them.  And to make it the worst deaths ever it is by someone you loved.  I'm not sure I've seen something this heartless toward a child other than child rape/murders.  He gained NOTHING by murdering them on top of it.  If he'd had to kill them to rob them it would still have been evil but at least I'd understand the motivation.  This?

I'll say this I have no idea where they are going with this and that is rare for me.  When you've watched as much stuff as I have you can almost predict every twist and turn.  Not here.  Still I enjoyed the show more when it was more of a dark comedy.

• Love 3

I think Murphy felt bad about what he did.  I'm not gonna lie, I did chuckle when the mom asked about a guy in a red jacket and Murphy let him in the house. 

I don't remember seeing Otis in previous episodes.

• Love 2

I'm having a big problem with what Murphy did.  I have to give it to the show that I really thought he'd change his mind and bring the water back for the little girl but nope he actuallyhas them murdered by the father.  Are you F****** KIDDING ME? I couldn't believe what I was seeing and death by zombie is way worse than if he'd pseudo mercy killed them by shooting them.  And to make it the worst deaths ever it is by someone you loved.  I'm not sure I've seen something this heartless toward a child other than child rape/murders.  He gained NOTHING by murdering them on top of it.  If he'd had to kill them to rob them it would still have been evil but at least I'd understand the motivation.  This?

I'll say this I have no idea where they are going with this and that is rare for me.  When you've watched as much stuff as I have you can almost predict every twist and turn.  Not here.  Still I enjoyed the show more when it was more of a dark comedy.

I can relate to your feelings about Murphy. I don't mean to get too O/T but I've never really gotten over The Walking Dead episode that had Rick, Michonne and Carl driving past the hitchhiker and basically letting the walkers have him. Hurts when you realize that your heroes (or at least protagonists ) have clay feet. 

• Love 4

So what was the deal with Citizen Z? I am guessing he shouldn't have snashed that alarm, whatever ig was for.

wow, I didn't expect Murphy to do that!

It was a carbon monoxide detector.  He & the dog were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning and he was hallucinating.  

• Love 7
I don't remember seeing Otis in previous episodes.

That was the weird thing -- they had never seen him before. He was running in front of the zombie horde with another guy when the group went to hide in the coroner's office so they just let him in and closed the door.

• Love 3

With the TWD which I agree was rough , at least they were PASSIVE and LET the guy get eaten.  Also that was right after getting betrayed by people they'd helped.  With Murphy he ACTIVELY murdered them by letting the dadzombie (his weapon) into the house.  Also can't emphasize this enough there was a LITTLE GIRL.  The backpacker was at least an adult.  I don't think  I've ever seen a protagonist get this dark with possibly Baltar as an exception and I didn't like that either. 

• Love 4

But mom did have a butcher knife so it's possible that she defended herself and her daughter and she could have killed her husband.   There's no doubt that it was wrong and heartless of Murphy to do what he did, but it was unexpected.  And kinda funny, at least to me.

• Love 3

It was a carbon monoxide detector.  He & the dog were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning and he was hallucinating.

But that's not how it works! LOL

Seriously, tho, what was producing the carbon monoxide?

That was the weird thing -- they had never seen him before. He was running in front of the zombie horde with another guy when the group went to hide in the coroner's office so they just let him in and closed the door.

Didn't one of them, possibly Murphy, shoot one of the guy's friends before entering the building?

I think he broke something while playing golf.

This was a great episode. I can't believe what Murphy did to that woman and her kid, it was so unnecesary. A murder, plain and simple.  I can't understand why he did it. I'd say he's starting to feel sympathy for  the zombies, but he went back to help the group, so...

Loved to hear everybody's thoughts while they were hiding from the zombies. 

I knew he was hallucinating the  moment I see that astronaut from the URSS. Pity he wasn't real, because I liked him. And I have the feeling they would have ended up snogging each other ;)

• Love 2

Funny story...I turned to my son and said, "That's what happened to the ones around here. They are really annoying when they beep, nonstop, in the middle of the night". We laughed.

After the show ended my son says to me, "Don't you think you need to get the broken smoke/carbon monoxide detectors replaced"...

Hmmm....

I'm still enjoying this show. I have a mean streak, I laughed when Murphy let the guy with the red coat in to meet up with his family...

• Love 2

This was a great episode. I can't believe what Murphy did to that woman and her kid, it was so unnecesary. A murder, plain and simple.  I can't understand why he did it. I'd say he's starting to feel sympathy for  the zombies, but he went back to help the group, so...

Almost. Murphy almost left without them.

I'm still enjoying this show. I have a mean streak, I laughed when Murphy let the guy with the red coat in to meet up with his family...

I did at first, before realizing the implications. OK, it didn't help that the dead dad reminded me of Michael Jackson in Thriller.

• Love 2

Murphy, just when I was starting to like you, you go and steal all the food and water from a mother and child, and then let a zombie into their building.  Part of me wonders if the disease process happening to him is affecting his mind in some way.  On the other hand, he was in prison for something, so maybe he's just a sociopath.  Did Murphy say about the zombies "good thing they don't have a leader"?  Yep, he's going to become the head zombie.

I was thinking that Yuri was some kind of psychic manifestation of the dog, trying to warn Citizen Z that something was wrong with the air.  I mean, the dog IS a Siberian Husky, so the Russian guy would fit.  I guess that's a little weird.   But one of the first things Yuri said was "I'm your friend" and then, "the air is not safe".

Edited by technorebel
  • Love 2

But that's not how it works! LOL

Didn't one of them, possibly Murphy, shoot one of the guy's friends before entering the building?

The zombies already had that guy down, so Warren "mercied" him before shutting the door. 

They showed Citizen Z changing the filter on a furnace maybe, so that could be it.

Edited by technorebel

10 k for the win. Never has sleeping been so badass...

Agreed!  That's exactly what I would've done as well.  You can't fight or run might as well get some sleep (almost typed "catch some z's").

I can relate to your feelings about Murphy. I don't mean to get too O/T but I've never really gotten over The Walking Dead episode that had Rick, Michonne and Carl driving past the hitchhiker and basically letting the walkers have him. Hurts when you realize that your heroes (or at least protagonists ) have clay feet. 

They chose not to help a stranger who wasn't in immediate danger.  Honestly, I liken their actions to not giving your spare change to a homeless person. 

Nothing really weird about it.  There seem to be a lot more survivors in this world than in the Walking Dead.  Otis was part of another random group that was passing through the same town when the Zunami hit.

Not sure what they're planning with Murphy's character.  He doesn't look as bad as before and even seemed more positive and energetic.  I wonder if it's related to him biting that guy.  Maybe human flesh makes him healthier.  As for murdering that family, that was pretty messed up and totally random.  It's not like they were a threat.  Heck, it wasn't even a mercy killing. 

• Love 3

I loved Yuri, too bad he was a hallucination. I spent most of the episode yelling at Citizen X. I know he was suffering the effects of Co2, but seriously? How many hints did he need? I knew the minute he knocked the alarm down, and his vision went blurry. I also loved seeing what everyone was doing and thinking inside the freezer, hysterical. Murphy is an enigma to me, I think he is a monster and then he comes back and saves them. He also murdered that family, so I don't know what to do with that. Murphy is about 5 minutes away from eating everyone of them.

• Love 3

I think it was supposed to be dark comedy when Murphy let zombie dad in to reunite with his family. But then I don't take this show as seriously as The Walking Dead.

I also laughed when the mom was all "think of my chiiiild" and for a second you'd think Murphy would leave them some water, but nope, he went ahead and took everything. Ha! Typical Murphy.

Come on, this is the show that brought us zombie baby AND little kids robbing a bunch of tough guys and then getting eaten by zombies on screen. And they did it so hilariously. The irreverence is why I love this show.

If the Walking Dead ever have a zombie baby (doubtful), you can bet they would have made it super depressing and you would want to kill yourself after you watch it. If this was The Walking Dead, the ethics of having to steal from a mother and chiiiild to survive would have been discussed at length, they would leave a bunch of supplies, and then the mother and chiiild would have been eaten by zombies anyway and it would all have been a waste. So it amused me that Murphy just sped up that entire process.

Murphy had never been Dudley Do-Right anyway. Wasn't he in prison for some kind of white collar crime? He has been looking out for number one since day one. The only thing that surprised me was that he went back to the mortuary and shared his loot. Though I suppose he does need the group - sure, zombies are harmless to him now, but he still needs protection from other people.

• Love 6

The more I think about it the more I think Murphy doesn't need water at all. He was all happy and energetic when everyone else was on the ground from dehydration. They hadn't had water for 3 days Doc said. Not sure about food, but when was the last time we saw Murphy eat or drink?

• Love 5

Murphy had never been Dudley Do-Right anyway. Wasn't he in prison for some kind of white collar crime? He has been looking out for number one since day one. The only thing that surprised me was that he went back to the mortuary and shared his loot. Though I suppose he does need the group - sure, zombies are harmless to him now, but he still needs protection from other people.

According to the Z Nation Wiki, Alvin Bernard Murphy was sent to Portsmouth Naval Prison for postal fraud.

Come on, this is the show that brought us zombie baby AND little kids robbing a bunch of tough guys and then getting eaten by zombies on screen. And they did it so hilariously. The irreverence is why I love this show.

Stuff like that is why I love this show too.  Nobody's too "precious" to be eaten by the zombies.

• Love 4

I keep drawing comparisons to TWD (I watch that too). Granted this is season 1 for Z Nation, but it really keeps things fresh, albeit a little goofy, from time to time. I rewatched Zunami tonight and I was impressed all over again. The Yuri/Simon stuff was terrific ( really pointed to Simon's loneliness) and Murphy's actions were really thought provoking. Is he gradually losing his conscience as he metamorphoses? And yet he seemed to be basking in the glow of the group's appreciation. I love TWD too, but it sometimes seems to drag lately and so much time is spent on taking out walkers and the theme of humans being the enemy.

Oh yeah, I like that the Z Nation group is on the move and making tracks. Poor Rick & Co. (TWD) are still stuck in GA. 4 years later.

• Love 2

I loved Yuri, too bad he was a hallucination. I spent most of the episode yelling at Citizen X. I know he was suffering the effects of Co2, but seriously? How many hints did he need? I knew the minute he knocked the alarm down, and his vision went blurry. I also loved seeing what everyone was doing and thinking inside the freezer, hysterical. Murphy is an enigma to me, I think he is a monster and then he comes back and saves them. He also murdered that family, so I don't know what to do with that. Murphy is about 5 minutes away from eating everyone of them.

Citizen Z may have been suffering the effects of CO, but his hallucination seemed awfully elaborate to me. I guess it would have tipped us off if Addy suddenly appeared, eh?

Oh yeah, I like that the Z Nation group is on the move and making tracks. Poor Rick & Co. (TWD) are still stuck in GA. 4 years later.

And SOUTH Georgia at that.

• Love 3

As soon as his vision blurred and the dog failed to react I knew bad things were happening.  When Yuri showed up in an old CCCP cosmonaut suit it was clear it was a hallucination.  The USSR dissolved over 20 years ago and Russian space suits look very different today.  

I really liked Yuri too.  I hope he comes back from time to time as Citizen Z's subconscious or another similar device.  

Oh, Murphy, that was dark and ruthless.  Stealing the food and water was bad enough but letting the zombie dad in?  Oh, that's bad.  "Took it from a dead family."  Yeah, thanks to you.  It looked like their days were numbered anyway but he didn't have to speed things up.  

He's going to end up being the zombie Colonel Kurtz.  

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 2

I remembered that the test subjects allegedly hadn't been in jail for BIG crimes, which is why I could see Murphy being shady and self centered but was shocked at his murder of the family.  There is a huge difference between say petty theft and say sadistic rape murder of a child.  I could see Murphy taking most of the stuff but not all and not the water and I really really couldn't see him murdering a child, but somehow a guy who did mail fraud is capable of that.  Just can't find the comedy in that, which I think was what the show had going for it in contrast to TWD.  That scene where the Liberty Bell destroyed about 3 zombies as it careened down the street was hysterical and not something TWD could do, so that the two shows occupy totally different niches, which is to the show's benefit.  This was  a buzz kill. 

• Love 3

I remembered that the test subjects allegedly hadn't been in jail for BIG crimes, which is why I could see Murphy being shady and self centered but was shocked at his murder of the family.  There is a huge difference between say petty theft and say sadistic rape murder of a child.  I could see Murphy taking most of the stuff but not all and not the water and I really really couldn't see him murdering a child, but somehow a guy who did mail fraud is capable of that.  Just can't find the comedy in that, which I think was what the show had going for it in contrast to TWD.  That scene where the Liberty Bell destroyed about 3 zombies as it careened down the street was hysterical and not something TWD could do, so that the two shows occupy totally different niches, which is to the show's benefit.  This was  a buzz kill. 

You can always go with the idea that the "cure" is affecting Murphy. 

• Love 1

According to the Z Nation Wiki, Alvin Bernard Murphy was sent to Portsmouth Naval Prison for postal fraud.

That's what Murphy said he was in for, if you can believe him about it. 

The hallucination went on way too long, long after the audience figured it out, it felt like the show was still trying to pad it out, probably because the main plot was so thin. It also takes long time to recover from CO poisoning. The CO latches onto to hemoglobin pretty tightly. A burst of fresh air ain't gonna fix you right up.

Was the hack attempt real? Was the capsule? They showed us the "no life signs" reading which Citizen Z didn't see, so does that mean it was real but empty?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

After all the other movies and TV shows I've watched, I was conditioned to expect even an asshole like Murphy would feel bad when he sees the dad is a zombie now. Of course he'll turn around and give back some of the supplies, right? That's what would happen in most things I ever watched, this show is almost pure cheese, why would I expect any different? And then that happened. And I was like "Oh no he didn't!" It was so absurd and unexpected, it just made me laugh and laugh.

But that's the thing about dark comedy. It'd either make you go "oh, that's so wrong" and still laugh despite of that, or it'd make you go "no, that's just wrong" and not laugh at all. Otherwise it's not dark comedy, it's just regular comedy.

So far I'm really appreciating the times this show exceed (my admittedly low) expectations.

• Love 3

Just watched this one during my lunch hour at work.

I know this a low budget show, but that was the worst fake snow ever at the end with Citizen Z. What was that? Pieces of white paper? Oh this show!  But it entertains me, and that's the bottom line.

Glad the doggie is still alive.

• Love 2

The Zunami was awesome. Just a giant herd of roaming zombies. So cool. 10K sleeping in the morgue wall coffin was hilarious.

I'm not sure what to think of Murphy. He was awesome in the cult episode, but stealing the family's food and water, and then letting ZombieDad into the building was terrible. I think he did feel bad about what he did, which is why he went back for his group. Murphy totally strikes me as one of those people who feel one good deed wipes out any and all previous bad deeds. I'm not sure what his original crime was. I didn't believe him when he claimed it was postal fraud. But if the zombie apocalypse had been going for a while when they were forcing prisoners to take the vaccine, they might have already run out of prisoners who had committed violent crimes and moved on to the non-violent/white collar criminals.

It took Citizen Z way too long to figure out the problem, but I guess the lack of oxygen was making him be stupid so it works. I was so worried about the doggie. Partly because I realized that all cats have been zombified. In the cannibal episode we learned that everything turns zombie when it dies, including animals, and if you eat the zombie meat, you turn. Cats are perfect killing machines. Even fat, indoor cats who are well fed kill bugs and spiders and stuff. They would all be turned week 1. 

I'm confused by the zunami horde location and "flight path".

It is mentioned that the horde began in Alberta at a refugee camp and traveled South, then heading Westward. Do they mean Alberta, CAD; or is there an Alberta (city, county, etc.) somewhere in the US that I am unaware of? Assuming that they mean the province of Alberta, (especially because of the Mountie-zombie lol) the herd would have had to actually travel Southeast - quite a far bit to the East.... - to meet up with the group in Nebraska. Then suddenly change direction to the West?

Just an error in production or what is going on?

Up til now the show has been cheesy fun, but this episode took a dark turn right from the beginning with the group seriously dehydrated--a dose of realism after last episode's mostly light-hearted feel. Really, what are they doing for water and food, given that it's 3 years into the apocalypse and none of the infrastructure systems should be working?

It was also depressing to see Citizen Z starting to lose hope and maybe his mind at the beginning (this was before the hallucination started), although that too was realistic. When the cosmonaut showed up, at first I thought he was real and I was caught up in the idea that he was trying to sabotage the station. It took me a ridiculously long time to figure out that he was a projection of Citizen Z's survival instinct.

Even though I knew Murphy didn't care about anyone except himself, taking all the supplies of the woman and child and then setting the husband/father on them felt like a step too far even for him. It really bothered me to see the group thinking he was a good guy for coming back with supplies.

• Love 1