Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

Love the Little Girl! 

When I was very young, my mother bought a can of horsemeat dog food by accident, and fed it to him because - well, we had it, and she was a Depression child and would not waste anything.  As a horse lover from Day One, I was crazy ecstatic when our dog refused to eat it.

• Love 4

Kook's version from yesterday.  

He stayed out of the mud, but that was from some full contact playing at the dog park.  He's on the prissy side.

Fluffy, a Golden Retriever - Corgi, was completely covered from plopping right down for a good mud bath.  Striker was the stealth mudder who was coated but because of his coloring and short coat, managed to get everyone - dog or human.

Alli is almost in full camo mode!

IMG_0963.JPG

• Love 13

When I sit down to give some love to Kook, he's recently started to roll over on his back so I can pet his throat and chest.  Then Sir Robin comes over to get his fair share of cuddles (my pets have very jealous hearts) and when he see's Kook roll over, he does too.  So I sit on the floor with my dog and cat, both lying on their backs while I rub their chests.

• Love 14

Had an animal emergency last night. Was staying at my friends and she had left 2 bars of dark 73% chocolate on her coffee table. We went to the movies and when we came home she noticed that one bar was missing. The smaller dog [which she adopted from Costa Rica because it was extremely abused ( as in someone poured boiling oil over its back leaving a hideous amount of scarring as well as other abuses...very sad case) and my friend is heartbroken because this little guy has been through so much already in his previous life]. At 12:30 am even though he had no symptoms on the advice of the emergency vet the dog was taken to the local emergency room for animals. This morning they thought that he might be coming out of critical condition but they were keeping him for another day of monitoring just to be sure that he will be alright. (This $$ bill rivals a humans and she had to take out a loan from them or else they wouldn’t have treated him other than to euthanize the dog. 80% down). This was very scary. As a cat person I don’t really have to worry about my kids getting into a wrapped candy bar. This little forager will get into anything as he’s had times that he wasn’t fed and just can’t pass by something to eat “in case”. So I was very pleased to come home and see my fur babies in good health and loved them extra...because you never know. 

Bless all of your non-human companions ??

• Love 9

@Mindthinkr That is so scary! As a cat owner, we definitely are blessed that they are picky eaters (even if their pickiness is annoying at times). My sisters dog will eat anything in sight. I can be pretty forgetful so I am glad I don't have to be that mindful around my pets. I hope your friend's pup is back to 100% soon.

• Love 5

here's my sweetie in her happy place.

(Photo won't post --  so:  imagine a teagle with a frisbee in her mouth -- tucked all the way back,  like a half moon pizza -- her snout like a perfect triangle and her tail in the air, as happy as a pup can be.)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 8
On 2/17/2018 at 8:14 PM, bosawks said:

Walk time is walk time regardless of weather....

B016756F-EA33-4948-84A5-060C80EA891A.jpeg

That's the same brand rain coat I bought for Kook last week.  I did not try to put it on him until it was actually raining as he would not have been thrilled to go through all the bother and not get a walk as a reward.  The XL I bought was way too small - think Chris Farley in Tommy Boy doing Fat Guy Little Coat.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, DeLurker said:

That's the same brand rain coat I bought for Kook last week.  I did not try to put it on him until it was actually raining as he would not have been thrilled to go through all the bother and not get a walk as a reward.  The XL I bought was way too small - think Chris Farley in Tommy Boy doing Fat Guy Little Coat.

I think Alli's is a large because she has that deep chessie chest, she's hard to buy for just that reason, I don't know how many coats and harnesses I've returned from Amazon.  She's not in love with her ll bean raincoat but this she loves.

I think it's the flannel lining, I also use it when she swims in cold weather and put it on after her refreshing dip.

• Love 6

The girls seemed to decide that a new order of their venison food wasn't as good as the stuff before. They were just half interested in it, whereas they usually gobble everything up. I don't know if it was my imagination, but Little Mama acted kind of lethargic and was laying in an unusual spot. She had eaten more than Little Girl, who acted mostly OK, if a little less energetic. I stopped feeding it to them and gave them another brand in rabbit because that's all I have that doesn't irritate Little Girl's allergies (poultry, beef). Mama was fine with that. Little Girl acted like I had offended her, but she ate a bit here and there.

I ordered new food and let both Chewy and the manufacturer know about the girls' reaction and that there might be something amiss with the batch. Chewy refunded my money (hooray, because this food is crazy expensive). The new order won't be here until tomorrow.

I went to the local pet store earlier and got some more of the good stuff to hold us over until the new order comes in. The can size is different from what I order and as a result, the texture is a bit different from what they are used to. They ate about half to 2/3 of what I gave them.

I also ordered another brand of venison food, so maybe I'll just have to see if they'll eat that enthusiastically for a while if they still aren't into the regular food.

Now the whole routine is off, so who knows, really. They were eating pretty regularly every four hours except overnight until all of the sudden they weren't.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4

@bilgistic My cats do something similar when they’ve decided that they’ve had enough of a certain flavor. Granted (and gratefully) I’m not dealing with allergies but they are picky picky. I have to buy all sorts of flavors and rotate them according to what they’ve recently had. Even if it’s something that they haven’t had in a bit they still might turn their noses up at it. They are offended now too because there’s no variety to what dry food they are getting. From the vet a diet dry food. They meow at me thinking that it might change something but I’m not caving. Mine are spoiled brats. 

• Love 5

I did some furniture rearranging, and made the mistake of putting a storage chest right behind the chair at my computer desk. Now Mom's Cat sits there and pokes the back of my chair with her paw when she wants attention, which is cute-but-annoying.

• Love 10

Has anyone used one of the services for custom photo playing cards?  I had mocked some up on my mini for my solitaire deck and decided I actually wanted real playing cards with the same picture (my silly cat).  Of course, I would need to get a set with my dog too.

So many of the pet pictures posted here would make great ones.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Has anyone used one of the services for custom photo playing cards?  I had mocked some up on my mini for my solitaire deck and decided I actually wanted real playing cards with the same picture (my silly cat).  Of course, I would need to get a set with my dog too.

So many of the pet pictures posted here would make great ones.

I haven't used it for playing cards, but I use Shutterfly to make my calendar each year.  I get lots of compliments, so I think they do a nice job. 

The girls are still not eating much. I got the new order of the regular food in the same cans, so something is definitely up with them...or maybe something was wrong with that one batch and now they don't want to to eat that food. I don't know. These cats would beg for this food and I'd have to make them wait every four hours to eat, and then they'd scarf it all down. Now they aren't asking for food at all.

I can't figure out if they've gotten into something, but I don't keep anything dangerous out. I told them tonight that if they don't start eating better, they have to go to the doctor Monday. I'm hoping the threat will work.

I ordered another brand of food, but for some dumb reason, the Amazon delivery person (they use their own delivery service here now) left it at the leasing office, and I didn't know until after they closed. I hope I can get it tomorrow.

• Love 2

We're definitely going to the vet tomorrow. Little Girl was really lethargic when I woke up. She was laying in bed her side, when she's usually raring to go. Mama came to get love and then went back to the window seat.

Mama ate a little food and went back to the window. Little Girl was totally uninterested, but has since had a few bites. She's was hiding under the bed last night, so something is definitely going on. They otherwise act pretty happy.

I'm hoping to avoid an emergency vet trip and its associated expense today.

How do I get such high-maintenance, dramatic cats?

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

We're definitely going to the vet tomorrow. Little Girl was really lethargic when I woke up. She was laying in bed her side, when she's usually raring to go. Mama came to get love and then went back to the window seat.

Mama ate a little food and went back to the window. Little Girl was totally uninterested, but has since had a few bites. She's was hiding under the bed last night, so something is definitely going on. They otherwise act pretty happy.

I'm hoping to avoid an emergency vet trip and its associated expense today.

How do I get such high-maintenance, dramatic cats?

You get them because you are a good cat loving caring person. Special, in a good way. 

• Love 7

Good thoughts to your kitties, @bilgistic. I hope it isn’t anything serious. 

It is the half-birthdays of my two cats. The eldest is 21 1/2 and the youngest is 17 1/2. We celebrated early by taking the older one to the emergency room yesterday for a suspected UTI. She got fluids and an antibiotic shot (the usual liquid dose makes her sick). She is quarantined in the kitchen, which has linoleum floors. She is hungry and wants lots of attention so she’s already feeling a bit better.

I’m enjoying everyone’s pics and stories. I don’t know why I don’t hang out here more often! 

• Love 8

After we had a nap, the girls just ate their regular food with a renewed interest. WTF!

I'm sure you all are enjoying this incredibly intriguing saga.

6 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Good thoughts to your kitties, @bilgistic. I hope it isn’t anything serious. 

It is the half-birthdays of my two cats. The eldest is 21 1/2 and the youngest is 17 1/2. We celebrated early by taking the older one to the emergency room yesterday for a suspected UTI. She got fluids and an antibiotic shot (the usual liquid dose makes her sick). She is quarantined in the kitchen, which has linoleum floors. She is hungry and wants lots of attention so she’s already feeling a bit better.

I’m enjoying everyone’s pics and stories. I don’t know why I don’t hang out here more often! 

Happy half-birthdays to your kitties and congratulations to you for having taken such good care of kitties of 17.5 and 21.5 years young!

I'm glad your girl is feeling better. I remember when my late girl kitty had a UTI once. I took her to the vet and said, "She's peeing on everything every hour. She has a UTI." The vet asked me how I knew it was a UTI. I said, "I'm female and I've had one."

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

After we had a nap, the girls just ate their regular food with a renewed interest. WTF!

They took heed to your threat of the vet. Nothing will get a cat to miraculously heal quicker than the threat of being stuffed in to their carrier, taken in the scary spaceship, and having the strange hoomans poke and prod at them for testing. LOL

In other news, I noticed my cat watching intently as I was cleaning and soaking out the litterbox yesterday. I swear this was her thought:

5a6958d17fde4.jpeg

• Love 4

@MargeGunderson, happy half birthday to your kitties, and quick recovery wishes to the one dealing with a UTI.

Maddie was prone to UTIs, and they were always from the same bacteria, so I knew exactly what antibiotic was needed -- after the first couple of ti mes, all I had to do was call my vet to report Maddie had another UTI, and she'd call in the prescription.  No need to stress Maddie with a vet visit, or stress my wallet paying for a culture.  I really appreciated that.

@bilgistic, I hope the girls were just in a mood of some sort, and that things stay normal.  I, too, sometimes ask the universe why the cats prone to chronic conditions, emergencies, and the like all seem to find me, and then I just give thanks that they do; better for me to deal with the stress than the cats to live with someone who can't or won't take care of anything that comes up.  Same with you.  But, yes - and especially during your period of unemployment - it would be quite nice if they'd hold off on the special needs for a moment!

• Love 4

This morning, I made a vet appointment for this afternoon for the girls. At about 1pm, I fed them some totally new, untried, different-branded venison (they were still just picking at the old food) and they scarfed up the first serving--1/4 of a 5.5oz can each. They seemed to perk up after that. Mama came to the kitchen again just a bit ago to have another big serving of it. Little Girl ate just a bit.

I cancelled the vet appointment...for now. I hope whatever this was has worked its way through them and the new food will kick up the energy levels.

Here they are after their yummy meal. It's the first time Mama's (left) been non-knocked-out sleepy in a few days. She's not wanted to share the window with Little Girl (right), who had been kind of hidey under the bed, but slept with me some last night.

IMG_20180226_152140-800x600.thumb.jpg.3d9c1860dd06a05effc382dfe4ca7e2d.jpg

I'm so glad I don't have human kids. Worrying about cats is exhausting enough.

• Love 17

@bilgistic Oh yes, having kitties (or dogs etc) can be a lot of worry. I’m glad to hear that you think that they are getting better. My boy just climbed up on the couch and is threatening to keep me from writing this. He has decided that it’s time for me to pet him. So now I’m typing with one hand! What we do for them lol.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

My boy just climbed up on the couch and is threatening to keep me from writing this. He has decided that it’s time for me to pet him. So now I’m typing with one hand! What we do for them lol.  

Riley never sleeps in my office chair other when I'm in it, but Baxter used to sleep there by himself sometimes.  So if I came in to send an email or something and he was there, I would kneel on the (hardwood) floor in front of my desk to type rather than scooting him out of the chair.

@bilgistic, hopefully each time you threaten the girls with a vet appointment because they're not acting right, they'll continue to perk back up.

• Love 5

The girls had the rest of the can at about 5. Mama ate more than Little Girl. I laid down for a nap (I need lots of naps) and woke up a bit ago to both of them in the bed with me! Mama had come out of the window seat! They ate another half of a can pretty eagerly. Fingers crossed this keeps working and whatever crud they had/ate has worked its way out.

I had put away in the memory vault how completely exhausting it is to be constantly worrying about my cat'(s') health.

• Love 8

Good news about Mama and Little Girl! It is so tiring to worry about them. Cats are so good about hiding sickness/pain that it makes it harder to catch anything early. With my oldest we are on constant UTI vigil - the minute she pees on the floor, she goes to the emergency vet. The number of conversations that Mr Gunderson and I have about our cats' litterbox habits is staggering.

• Love 3

Sir Robin went bonkers last night in the middle of the night.  He normally is quite settled throughout the night, but for some reason he was running across the bed at maximum speed, over and over again.  He wouldn't go off the bed, but was a crazy cat tornado on it.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

Sir Robin went bonkers last night in the middle of the night.  He normally is quite settled throughout the night, but for some reason he was running across the bed at maximum speed, over and over again.  He wouldn't go off the bed, but was a crazy cat tornado on it.

My cats do that when they want something. Usually food. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, DeLurker said:

72665939.jpg

• Love 22
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've got a little one prone to constipation, and when it flares, she poops outside of the litter box.  I really, really, wish I could get inside her mind to know the cause and effect of that madness. 

Have you tried a little bit of Miralax in her food? My vet recommended adding a small amount to my cats' wet food daily and it has helped. It has no flavor so they don't even know it's there.

• Love 3

The girls continue to improve. I woke this morning to them both in bed with me. ♥️♥️ They are eating the new food well (and asking for it regularly) and have their energy and playfulness back. I wish I knew for sure that it was the old food that made them sick.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Have you tried a little bit of Miralax in her food? My vet recommended adding a small amount to my cats' wet food daily and it has helped. It has no flavor so they don't even know it's there.

We have an oil medication from the vet that she gets in her a.m. feeding.  That plus eliminating her beloved treats has helped, but not eliminated the problem.  Sometimes I give it to her in her p.m. as well.  It's better but not fixed.

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

The girls continue to improve. I woke this morning to them both in bed with me. ♥️♥️ They are eating the new food well (and asking for it regularly) and have their energy and playfulness back. I wish I knew for sure that it was the old food that made them sick.

So glad they're better.  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've got a little one prone to constipation, and when it flares, she poops outside of the litter box.  I really, really, wish I could get inside her mind to know the cause and effect of that madness. 

Generally, I've heard they "blame" the litterbox for their discomfort, so poop elsewhere hoping it won't be unpleasant there.

• Love 1