Type keyword(s) to search

To Subscribe Or Not To Subscribe, That Is The Question: Paid Streaming Services

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Does YouTube TV have TCM?  I could not live without TCM and the Watch TCM app.  It's a cable-only channel, and the app has to be linked to your cable subscription. 

Yes, TCM is offered with YouTube TV. I have had YTTV for about 2 years, and really like it for the live TV component.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Does YouTube TV have TCM?  I could not live without TCM and the Watch TCM app.  It's a cable-only channel, and the app has to be linked to your cable subscription. 

It does as part of the basic channel lineup.  

(edited)

Pet peeve (which is more like a pet infuration): Watch TCM via my Apple TV makes me re-activate with a new code every f***ing week.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
On 5/23/2024 at 6:19 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I think the only thing I've ever watched on Roku was the celebrity baking show they did and I remember there being an absurd amount of ads. It's free so I figured there would be. Maybe they've gotten better. I might try something on there again.

It's probably the difference between original or other recent content and the old TV shows/movies I'm watching there as to why you had so many more ads than I do.  I only watch a few things on Roku, and the most recent show is Cold Case (2003-2010); that's where I generally get four ad breaks, usually with only one or two short ads each (so sometimes it's a break as short as 15 seconds) but sometimes four short ads.  I watched The Blair Witch Project (1999) in the wee overnight hours Friday and got no ads, which is the same thing that happened when I watched a few season one (1981) episodes Cagney & Lacey when I had an urge, but didn't feel like getting out of bed to grab my DVDs one night last week.

• Useful 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Pet peeve (which is more like a pet infuration): Watch TCM via my Apple TV makes me re-activate with a new code every f***ing week.

Same for me on Roku.  I think it does not make me reactivate if I have been watching every day or every other day.  If a few days go by, then it does ask. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Same for me on Roku.  I think it does not make me reactivate if I have been watching every day or every other day.  If a few days go by, then it does ask. 

I will try that. Unlikely I want to see something on Watch TCM every day, but maybe it will work if I just go there and click on a movie and watch the opening credits or something. (I happen to love opening credits for some strange reason so that won't be a chore.)

(edited)

Amazon Prime has been kicking me out after a few hours for the last couple of days. I've updated the app on Roku so maybe that will fix it.

ETA: It didn't. I chatted with Roku and rest the TV but won't know if it worked until I watch for a few hours.

Edited by ABay
12 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Roku and I have a disagreement about where I live.  It has grandiose aspirations and desperately wants me to watch channels from NYC.  I usually have to reboot in order for it to finally recognize that my zip code is NOT Manhattan.

• LOL 1
18 minutes ago, cynicat said:

Roku and I have a disagreement about where I live.  It has grandiose aspirations and desperately wants me to watch channels from NYC.  I usually have to reboot in order for it to finally recognize that my zip code is NOT Manhattan.

I encountered a similar issue with Hulu + Live; they sent me channels based on the location of my internet address.  My internet provider at the time did not provide a static IP address; so often the IP address would shift to Fairfield County, and I'd get the NYC channels. 

After many hours on the phone with a Hulu engineer -- a lovely, patient, and determined man -- we agreed that my best option was to drop Hulu.  YouTube TV was the answer, as you manually enter the ZIP code for your area. 

I know Roku is a device (which I've used) and Hulu is an app, so they are different things, but they may use the same information, eg  your IP address, to provide services.   

Just dropping this all here in case it's useful, should you try dealing with Roku.  Wishing you luck, I know it's a pain in the butt to get channels (for me, it was basically the traffic and weather reports) that are useless to you. 

• Useful 1

For those who are still wondering about or dealing with the Neflix "household" problem, here is my latest update:

They seem to have settled into a new protocol.  We are still going back and forth between our NYC apartment and our Long Island house.  Netflix detects that we might not be in the Netflix "household" when we first arrive at the new destination.  It asks us if we want to  update the household.  We say yes, and it sends a text to my phone (there's also a choice of receiving the signal in an email).  Then it asks if we want to update the household and I say yes, and the Roku starts playing.  But we have now been back and forth on these same devices many times.  You'd think they could update the household permanently.  Oh, well, it's better than paying extra. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

Kanopy is pissing me off.  I was so happy they don't show ads and they let movies run until after the credits.  But they've thrown in a twist.

There's a 5-1/2 hour Japanese movie I want to watch.  When I click on it, it says it's three episodes, even though it's a one-piece movie.  That's annoying, but if it flows from one episode to the next without stopping, I guess I can deal.

HOWEVER, at the end of each episode, a box comes up in the lower right corner saying Episode 2 Starts in [countdown] Seconds, which on its own would be distracting but survivable I suppose, but it also casts darkness over the image of the movie.  That IS annoying.

So I clicked OK or BACK (can't remember which) like I've learned to do when Max interrupts the end of a show, to get the actual show back, but on Kanopy, that takes you back to that show's information screen, cutting off the end of that episode, and since these aren't actually episodes, it cuts off substantive content.  I wouldn't have even known I missed anything when I clicked OK if I hadn't started it over and fast-forwarded it to the end and let it run, with the darkened image, unimpeded.  That's when I found out what the judge said, never mind that he said anything, which I had no clue he'd done.

It also has no option I can find to "re-start" something.  It always resumes where I left off if I've watched any of the show at all, and the only way to get to the beginning is to rewind.  At least it works, but I've trained my brain NOT to do that on Max because if I rewind back to the beginning, it always hangs up and doesn't actually start--I have to go back to the main screen for the movie and hit the magic combination of buttons to find "restart." 

Anyway, why in the hell did they divide a movie into three episodes?  They've got a couple of 4-hour Wiseman documentaries that they don't divide up into episodes.  But those cost only 2 tickets, and the Japanese movie is 4 tickets--maybe they justify the higher cost by dividing it up into three episodes?  That's just dumb.  Just charge 4 tickets for a 5-1/2 hour movie, and let it BE A MOVIE.  Anybody who's going to watch any 5-1/2 hour Japanese movie isn't going to be swayed to "spend" more by having it be three episodes instead of one.

• Useful 1

Irks me that my late unlamented cable company used to give us Peacock Premium for free. They got rid of that, got rid of Usenet, got rid of email, got rid of personal web space, got rid of unlimited data, and of course, I finally got rid of them.

If I get Peacock--and I'm still kicking it around--it will be ad-free or nothing.  Asked DD if she likes the Summer Olympics, and she said, I just like gymnastics.  Oh, and swimming, and diving, and skateboarding, and volleyball, and soccer...  None of that will be ad-free, of course.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Decisions, decisions.
My current 1-year subscription for the same price runs out September 21. 

I'm currently 2 months into a 6 month so I'm thinking of cancelling and signing up with a different email. 

• Useful 1

That Peacock deal is great. I’d also have to use a different email address if I were to go for it, but as much Peacock as I watch, I’m not sure how I feel about ads. Is there a sale on an ad-free subscription? 

42 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

That Peacock deal is great. I’d also have to use a different email address if I were to go for it, but as much Peacock as I watch, I’m not sure how I feel about ads. Is there a sale on an ad-free subscription? 

I haven't seen one. I've only had it with ads so I'm used to them at this point!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Doesn’t look like you can use that Peacock deal if you are already a Peacock Premium subscriber ☹️ The deal I have now is $2.99/month and it expires in August. Was hoping to piggyback this deal. Who knows what they’ll charge me to renew then….

• Like 1

I have been trying for six months or more for Peacock to take my Chase Visa bank card as payment, a payment option that worked previously, to no avail. Also, I see from a quick search that others have been and still are having similar issues. It's very weird that they don't consider this a loss on their end.

• Sad 1
44 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Doesn’t look like you can use that Peacock deal if you are already a Peacock Premium subscriber ☹️ The deal I have now is $2.99/month and it expires in August. Was hoping to piggyback this deal. Who knows what they’ll charge me to renew then….

The terms for discounted rates are invariably auto-renewal at the standard rate. I'm cheap and generally cancel and then look for the next deal*. Occasionally, if you cancel a discounted subscription and they ask why and you indicate cost, they'll offer some kind of deal to keep you going.

*I fully cop to switching between two Hulu accounts with different emails every year so I can take advantage of the Black Friday rate each year, which requires you to not have been subscribed for the prior six months.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Last time I canceled Peacock they didn't offer anything but then a few weeks later I got an email for a good offer. 

30 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

The terms for discounted rates are invariably auto-renewal at the standard rate. I'm cheap and generally cancel and then look for the next deal*. Occasionally, if you cancel a discounted subscription and they ask why and you indicate cost, they'll offer some kind of deal to keep you going.

*I fully cop to switching between two Hulu accounts with different emails every year so I can take advantage of the Black Friday rate each year, which requires you to not have been subscribed for the prior six months.

I do that with Hulu also but they are no longer allowing previously used credit cards. This year I used the last one I haven't used before. Any others I tried were rejected as having been previously part of a subscription! 

(edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 5:26 PM, AheadofStraight said:

I do that with Hulu also but they are no longer allowing previously used credit cards. This year I used the last one I haven't used before. Any others I tried were rejected as having been previously part of a subscription! 

I use PayPal for the recurring charge, and have encountered no issues.

Edited by caitmcg
  • Like 1
  • Useful 6
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

They say my plan with the commercials will be increasing to $59.99 after my $19.99 deal expires in September.

I went ahead and signed up with a different email, but I didn't get any email response yet, and my Chase Visa says the charge is "pending."

1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I have been trying for six months or more for Peacock to take my Chase Visa bank card as payment, a payment option that worked previously, to no avail. Also, I see from a quick search that others have been and still are having similar issues. It's very weird that they don't consider this a loss on their end.

Hrumph. Chase has an info icon next to the "pending" charge that says in part:

We authorized these transactions but they haven't been finalized yet, so they're not included in your current balance. They're reflected in your available credit, but keep in mind: The final transaction amount may be different from the pending amount.

Some merchants (such as hotels, restaurants, gas stations, car rental agencies, etc.) will put a hold on your card before finalizing the amount. These amounts will be updated when the amount becomes final (like when you pump gas or check out of a hotel). An "incremental" amount is likely 1 of 2 or more separate purchases to the same merchant that will be combined into a final amount (like when you go on a cruise or visit an amusement park).

Now what do I do? Chase will cancel it for me free of charge, but now that email is recognized by Peacock, so I guess I could use another, but will Peacock bill for the account I created today? I had to give them an address and name. 😵‍💫

At least I've got til September to sort this out. 
I have a feeling when it all shakes out I'm going to have spent enough time on it that I'll have earned the equivalent of the higher price
— which is what I will politely point out if I have to talk to them at some point. 

1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

I went ahead and signed up with a different email, but I didn't get any email response yet, and my Chase Visa says the charge is "pending."

Every transaction I ever put on a credit card shows up as "pending" for a couple of days, while they verify the charge.  Then the pending drops off.  I'm absolutely anal about checking my credit cards every day, so that's how I know this.

One option, if you have a Roku TV, may be to subscribe to Peacock through the Roku channel.  I wonder if that would sidestep any credit card issues if you're using a third party app.

• Useful 1
On 5/21/2024 at 10:32 AM, AheadofStraight said:

I just watched the Space Shuttle Columbia documentary and the ads were randomly throughout and super annoying!

I watched it last night and thought the ad placement was super not annoying.  It originally aired on CNN, so it was designed for commercial breaks.  I could really tell the difference between that and how a lot of the time it seems like no thought whatsoever is put into where the ad is inserted. 

It's annoying in movies, but I realize they're not going to trouble themselves to thoughtfully place commercials.  But even in TV shows that did air originally with commercials, and presumably took that into account in the editing, it seems like the streaming services don't "look for" those breaks.  That's annoying.

On the space shuttle show, I also noticed that the commercial breaks were only a minute long.  So what originally took four hours of airtime streamed in a little over three hours, presumably because the commercial breaks were shorter (but still there).

Off topic for this particular forum:  I had no idea until watching this show that they recovered all of the astronauts' bodies.  If you haven't seen the show, it's thought provoking.  If you were up there and there was a good chance the shuttle wasn't going to make it back intact, would you want to know?  And WTF with having the astronauts' children in the room when they gathered all the families to tell them it had blown up???  Jesus.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
28 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Off topic for this particular forum:  I had no idea until watching this show that they recovered all of the astronauts' bodies.  

I didn't either.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 9:15 PM, meowmommy said:

Every transaction I ever put on a credit card shows up as "pending" for a couple of days, while they verify the charge.  Then the pending drops off.  I'm absolutely anal about checking my credit cards every day, so that's how I know this.

The Peacock charge finally went through on my credit card, but I haven't received an email from then, and when I try to login to peacock with my new credentials, it says there is no account registered with that email.
Does anyone recall if this takes a day or 2 as well? 

Never mind. I had a typo in my email.
The chat human is trying to fix it. 

Okay I'm in.

But I panicked when he asked for my street address.

And then he said he needed a screenshot of my bank statement (which I had to redact), and I had to create a new password, but everything was going to the email with the typo, so I wound up with 5 repeats of:

• 6:24:07 PM: Please take your time. 
  • 6:26:13 PM: I haven't heard from you for a bit. I'll be here for a few more minutes if you still need my help. 
  • 6:27:06 PM: Just checking to see if you are still there. I will be ending our chat shortly as I haven't heard back from you.

which raised my blood pressure a few more notches. 

Bottom line, yes, the typo in the email (which is one I don't frequently use) was my fault, but still, this self-fulfilling prophesy did occur:

On 6/5/2024 at 9:10 PM, shapeshifter said:

…I have a feeling when it all shakes out I'm going to have spent enough time on it that I'll have earned the equivalent of the higher price

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 1

I just watched something on Hulu after not having used it for a while, and I was surprised at how many and frequent the ads were, compared to other ad-supported streamers I've been using lately.  But it's free with my cell plan, so I guess I can't complain.

It is one of the few streamers I've used that doesn't squish the credits into a little box and make me play remote-button-bingo to avoid skipping straight to another episode/show, so I have to give them credit for that.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I just watched something on Hulu after not having used it for a while, and I was surprised at how many and frequent the ads were, compared to other ad-supported streamers I've been using lately.  But it's free with my cell plan, so I guess I can't complain. 

Yes, many lot us have talked at length multiple times about this. Needless to say, we're all very irritated by it lol.

I can't imagine why anyone would pay the full price for ad supported Hulu. It's barely worth the .99 a month Black Friday deal!

• Like 1

I've mentioned before that I watch everything via a standalone DVR so I can skip commercials, and sometimes watch it at 1.3 speed.  I haven't watched Hulu in a while because I was cramming all my Max content in before my six months expired.

So now I'm working my way through Hulu and one nice thing for me is that their commercial breaks are consistently in 30-second increments, with a tiny graphic in the upper right corner showing the length of the commercial break.  My DVR has a "skip 30 seconds" button, so I hit it as soon as the commercial break starts, and I look to see how many times I need to hit it to skip all the commercials.  It always takes me within a second or two of the end of the commercial break.

My DVR isn't HD, so the numbers up in the corner are a fuzzy, but I've gotten to where I know what 1:30 looks like without needing to actually read it.  HD looks better than what goes through my DVR, but not enough better for me to endure commercials.

All this pushes Hulu just over the worth-it-for-99¢-a-month line, now that I've watched the Hulu content like Reservation Dogs.

• Useful 1
29 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I've mentioned before that I watch everything via a standalone DVR so I can skip commercials, and sometimes watch it at 1.3 speed.  I haven't watched Hulu in a while because I was cramming all my Max content in before my six months expired.

I'm curious (and maybe you mentioned this before, sorry!) but how do you get the content from whatever you use for streaming, in to the DVR?  Are there still things like Playstation or Xbox that can do that?  Many years ago Wii used to be able to stream Netflix, and I could send that to my DVR and watch it at 1.3 speed.  Are there newer equivalents of that?  Or is a PC involved?

• Like 2
On 6/9/2024 at 12:51 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I'm curious (and maybe you mentioned this before, sorry!) but how do you get the content from whatever you use for streaming, in to the DVR? 

The machine acts just like a VCR, only it has a hard drive instead of tapes.  So there are cords involved.  

This looks like the machine we have; we bought it a long time ago, when it was like $500 or so, I think:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MDR535-500GB-Recorder-Digital/dp/B009L04DCQ

Actually, it's our second one.  It turned out Mr. Outlier's father had the same machine we had, and when he died we took that one as a spare.  The one we had broke, and we deployed his father's machine and that's what we're using now.

On these machines, there's no way to back anything up, so if it breaks, you lose everything on the hard drive.  It was kind of traumatic when our original one broke, but after the shock I just accepted it as the ephemeral nature of everything these days.  It was actually good preparation for the change to streaming, where we have no control over anything, and shows disappear from platforms with no notice.

• Useful 1
32 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

The machine acts just like a VCR, only it has a hard drive instead of tapes.  So there are cords involved.  

This looks like the machine we have; we bought it a long time ago, when it was like $500 or so, I think:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MDR535-500GB-Recorder-Digital/dp/B009L04DCQ

Actually, it's our second one.  It turned out Mr. Outlier's father had the same machine we had, and when he died we took that one as a spare.  The one we had broke, and we deployed his father's machine and that's what we're using now.

On these machines, there's no way to back anything up, so if it breaks, you lose everything on the hard drive.  It was kind of traumatic when our original one broke, but after the shock I just accepted it as the ephemeral nature of everything these days.  It was actually good preparation for the change to streaming, where we have no control over anything, and shows disappear from platforms with no notice.

Oh yes, I have that same machine, or something very similar. What I’m missing is, what is the input to it?  How do you get your streaming feed into the dvr so you can record it?

The machine is $1400?  I guess that compares favorably to my renting a cable company DVR forever . . .

But again,  how do you record streaming feeds on it?  How do they allow that? 

1 minute ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The machine is $1400?  I guess that compares favorably to my renting a cable company DVR forever . . .

Haha, I bought mine in the late 2000s/early 2010s for maybe somewhere between 200 and 400. I wouldn’t put much stock in what someone is asking for one of them on Amazon or eBay or whatever, now. 

• Like 2

Think I’m going to scrap Peacock. I was using it to watch Roseanne and it keeps skipping episodes. I’ll leave off on one episode and reopen Peacock when I want to go back to it only to find it somehow skipped four episodes ahead and I don’t remember watching them. 

I don’t have the desire to go back to the beginning of the show or jump back to my proper watch point all the time and hope Peacock works. Maybe I can just buy each season on Prime, assuming they don’t decide to get rid of it someday. Every other streaming app can get my watch history right; somehow Peacock has something basic so messed up. 

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Haha, I bought mine in the late 2000s/early 2010s for maybe somewhere between 200 and 400.

I saw one at Goodwill several years ago, and decided to wait until Senior Tuesday, to get a discount.  It was gone by then, of course.  I hate it when I remember I did that.

According to Mr. Outlier, we use a Roku Express streaming device, which has an HDMI output.  That is connected to an HDMI-to-composite-video converter, which is what feeds the Magnavox DVR. 

It's an analog standard-definition signal at that point, so the quality may not meet some people's expectations these days.  But that's the nature of the Magnavox DVR--there's really no modern HD equivalent. 

As I said above, HD definitely looks better, but not enough better for me to put up with commercials or not watching certain things at 1.3 speed.

• Useful 2
On 6/10/2024 at 9:43 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

Think I’m going to scrap Peacock. I was using it to watch Roseanne and it keeps skipping episodes. I’ll leave off on one episode and reopen Peacock when I want to go back to it only to find it somehow skipped four episodes ahead and I don’t remember watching them. 

I don’t have the desire to go back to the beginning of the show or jump back to my proper watch point all the time and hope Peacock works. Maybe I can just buy each season on Prime, assuming they don’t decide to get rid of it someday. Every other streaming app can get my watch history right; somehow Peacock has something basic so messed up. 

Oh gosh, that is annoying! I’m sorry that was your experience. I experienced that trying to watch Will & Grace on Hulu, except I’d finish an episode, and Hulu would keep going back to this same old one. It was frustrating trying to figure out where the heck I was each time. Hulu seemed to work fine with other shows.

I wonder if Peacock has some sort of glitch with Roseanne specifically. I watch loads and loads of Peacock and haven’t experienced any real issues. The only thing I could think of is Peacock not retaining the part of the episode I was on of RHOD, but it’s worked fine since.  

53 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Oh gosh, that is annoying! I’m sorry that was your experience. I experienced that trying to watch Will & Grace on Hulu, except I’d finish an episode, and Hulu would keep going back to this same old one. It was frustrating trying to figure out where the heck I was each time. Hulu seemed to work fine with other shows.

I wonder if Peacock has some sort of glitch with Roseanne specifically. I watch loads and loads of Peacock and haven’t experienced any real issues. The only thing I could think of is Peacock not retaining the part of the episode I was on of RHOD, but it’s worked fine since.  

I think it was doing this to me with the new Night Court too. 

Peacock is actually the app I use the least anyway. I use Hulu and Prime a lot more so it’s probably not going to be any great loss. 

• Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Peacock is actually the app I use the least anyway. I use Hulu and Prime a lot more so it’s probably not going to be any great loss. 

I hear ya. Prime is probability the only major streaming service I haven’t used. I wonder if I’m missing out on that.

On 6/10/2024 at 10:43 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

50 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Maybe? I’ve never followed that show, but is there any chance the missing episodes included offensive lines like remarks Roseanne Barr was making on social media?

Probably not…

3 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

…but, @Cloud9Shopper, if you can give me the title of a missing episode, I can check for it on my Peacock. Season number and episode number would be helpful too.

I‘ve always told myself that show is about trashy people and beneath me, but recently I happened to catch an episode of The Conners, and, OMG, their family was dealing with the same trauma my kids went through. So at least now I’m not watching for the right reason: Guilt.

But I’d be happy to check for a missing episode.

• Useful 1

Thanks. It’s not so much the episodes are missing but more like I’ll watch one episode and it skips ahead to three or four episodes later and says I watched the earlier ones. I only got Peacock honestly because it was free to Xfinity subscribers when it first came out. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe? I’ve never followed that show, but is there any chance the missing episodes included offensive lines like remarks Roseanne Barr was making on social media?

Probably not…

Without wading into any of the show's details to give examples, no -- Roseanne Conner was the polar opposite of that during the original series.  She was different in the one revival season, but still not on anything approaching that level.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Weirdest thing just happened when I went into Hulu.  On my Continue Watching list, it had just four shows, all of which I've never seen, some of which I've never heard of, all of which I have no interest in, and none of the shows that are actually supposed to be on the list.

Had to go in, mark each of the programs as Dislike, exit out of the app, and go back in.  Voila, my regular shows came back.

4 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I'd rather they showed the old Night Court.  I'm still dithering on whether to subscribe to Peacock.  Virtually everything I would watch would be stuff I've already seen, like Top Chef.

• Like 1

Some of this stuff you guys are describing makes it sound like someone else is watching under your profile!  Maybe change your password and see if it stops?

• Useful 1