Type keyword(s) to search

To Subscribe Or Not To Subscribe, That Is The Question: Paid Streaming Services

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, Bastet said:

I just found a page on the ABC site about how to watch the Oscars live, and the footnote about watching on the app or website says:

ABC is one of the OG of OTA, so I'm confused.  It also says in their FAQ:

Who can access the shows offered on ABC.com and the ABC app?

Anyone physically located in the U.S. or its territories (including Puerto Rico, Guam, Saipan, American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands) with access to a broadband internet connection, and a supported web browser, mobile, or streaming TV device. If you subscribe to ABC through one of our participating TV providers (and your subscription is in good standing). you have access to additional content.

What defines "additional content?"  Whatever they say it is.

I went to the ABC app on my Roku, signed out of my old cable account, and looked at what they have on the subject of the Oscars.  It was all clips and shorts.  Then, I looked at the live TV listings in my browser, and the live Oscar broadcast showed a locked symbol on my local ABC channel.

So, my bad.  I'm not planning to watch, but I have antenna, so I could.  I'm just gobsmacked that regular OTA channels are locking down their content, and not just behind Peacock, Paramount, etc.  Cable providers are getting desperate.

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I'm just gobsmacked that regular OTA channels are locking down their content,

Yep, I watch Jeopardy! on my office TV as it airs at 7:00 just as I finish working, and I've temporarily changed things around so that's no longer hooked up to my satellite.  It has a Fire stick, so I downloaded the ABC app to watch that way.  The ABC app sucks (they all do, IMO, at least as compared to the ease of satellite, but ABC is the glitchiest of the networks) and will sometimes tell me either I am not logged in to my provider (even though I am, and the Dish logo is right up there in the corner) or I need to contact my provider because my programming package does not include access to that channel (yes, it does).  In either of those cases, I get that locked icon, so have to take the time to mess with it until it's working properly or just go watch on one of my TVs that is hooked up to my satellite receiver.

• Like 2

It seems that there is less & less new stuff appearing on some of the services. I have cancelled Discovery+ because anything that would be new on D+ is now available on Max and if it wasn't for the grandkids Disney+/Hulu would be next as most things I might want to see have stopped being shown on the platform the day after it has aired on tv. I only noticed the Disney+/Hulu lack of day after content because they have stopped showing new episodes of Wicked Tuna on the Nat Geo part and I deleted a recording of the first episode I had recorded (to remind me that it was starting up again) only to find  that Disney/Hulu were no longer showing new episodes.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Shrek said:

It seems that there is less & less new stuff appearing on some of the services. I have cancelled Discovery+ because anything that would be new on D+ is now available on Max and if it wasn't for the grandkids Disney+/Hulu would be next as most things I might want to see have stopped being shown on the platform the day after it has aired on tv. I only noticed the Disney+/Hulu lack of day after content because they have stopped showing new episodes of Wicked Tuna on the Nat Geo part and I deleted a recording of the first episode I had recorded (to remind me that it was starting up again) only to find  that Disney/Hulu were no longer showing new episodes.

As an add on Paramount+ doesn't even show some Paramount network shows the following day or even any of the latest season. 

• Sad 1
26 minutes ago, Shrek said:

As an add on Paramount+ doesn't even show some Paramount network shows the following day or even any of the latest season. 

I haven't noticed Paramount+ failing to show next day CBS shows. Are they Paramount-produced shows? 

Hulu (ABC) and Peacock (NBC) do that sometimes, but I'm not sure who produces those shows either.

My son-in-law says Paramount+ is $12/mo. 
Is that what those of you who subscribe are paying?

21 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I haven't noticed Paramount+ failing to show next day CBS shows. Are they Paramount-produced shows? 

Hulu (ABC) and Peacock (NBC) do that sometimes, but I'm not sure who produces those shows either.

I was looking for a show that has 12 seasons on Paramount+ & was actually on the Paramount network channel yesterday so I presume they produce it but isn't available on Paramount+ today. I have no idea about cost as Fiona pays it for some things she watches. 

I know there's a few things that can't be found on any streaming service but I'm talking about things that have previously been available the day after being on the tv  and now they're suddenly not meaning you need to have access to the channels to see them/record them now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, donaldbathe said:

Netflix is constantly updating and uploading new trailers on youtube but for some reason im not finding all of their new movies, tv shows, documentaries, ect... on wikipedia where it says programming..., why is that?  Why would this be the case?  If not wikipedia where else online can i find information regarding their new programming which is coming out all the time?  Can someone please help me?  Thank you. 

There are several sites/monthly online magazine sections of the "What's New on Netflix?" nature.  There's this page on the Netflix website and this is an example of an outside site that updates what's leaving and arriving month by month.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I went with the one week free trial and the annual plan for $120, which works out to $10/month plus tax for the ad-free version with Showtime.  Also, DD taught me that the workaround when they try to show a promo ad in the beginning despite being ad-free is to back out and go right back in.

9 hours ago, Shrek said:

It seems that there is less & less new stuff appearing on some of the services. I have cancelled Discovery+ because anything that would be new on D+ is now available on Max

I had Discovery+ as a add-on to Amazon Prime until most, although not all, its programming appeared on Max.  Cancelled that.  A few shows I used to like are not available on Max, but it's no big deal.

Just also want to mention that watching Discovery as an add-on to AP was a misery.  Their navigation system is horrendous.  I would open up a season of, say, Beat Bobby Flay, and it would literally tell me that the first three episodes were episode 4, the next was episode one, the following two more were episode 3, etc.  And they were all single episodes, not copies.  Season 35 came after season 37.  Fun stuff.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
2 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Also, DD taught me that the workaround when they try to show a promo ad in the beginning despite being ad-free is to back out and go right back in.

Thank you and your daughter.  When Prime was ad-free, it bugged me they'd show an ad for a Prime production before a movie/show started, as if it being for one of their properties meant it didn't count as an ad, but at least they had a Skip function to easily dispatch with it.  Paramount+ does the same, but with no obvious way to skip it, so I'm glad to learn there's a workaround.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I had the Black Friday deal of 1.99/month (with commercials). When it ran out, they offered 5.99/month. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

The ad at the beginning of episodes on Paramount is like 30 seconds so I feel like going out and back in takes almost that amount of time anyway. Still, it really is annoying that they do that on the ad-free plan.

• Useful 1
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

There are several sites/monthly online magazine sections of the "What's New on Netflix?" nature.  There's this page on the Netflix website and this is an example of an outside site that updates what's leaving and arriving month by month.

Then why isnt all of this information simply posted on wikipedia then if you dont mind me asking?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, donaldbathe said:

Then why isnt all of this information simply posted on wikipedia then if you dont mind me asking?

I don't know for sure that it isn't posted on Wikipedia or why it isn't, but if I were a betting person, my money would be on:

• The media available on Netflix and other streamers is subject to change without (much) notice
  • Maybe the streamers block Wikipedia from posting that information
  • Like 3
55 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't know for sure that it isn't posted on Wikipedia or why it isn't, but if I were a betting person, my money would be on:

• The media available on Netflix and other streamers is subject to change without (much) notice
  • Maybe the streamers block Wikipedia from posting that information

Then youre saying apple, amazon, ect... might have stuff missing on wikipedia?  How can i find such info for other streamers?

55 minutes ago, donaldbathe said:

Then youre saying apple, amazon, ect... might have stuff missing on wikipedia?  How can i find such info for other streamers?

Sorry, I was just offering likely answers to your question of "why" all of a specific type of information (such as streamer programs) might not be posted on Wikipedia:

4 hours ago, donaldbathe said:

My mistake. That's not really your question.

One good method I've used is to start typing into Google:

• list of 

followed by the name of the streamer followed by "shows."
For example: 

or:

Does this answer your question?

• Like 3
On 3/11/2024 at 3:39 PM, shapeshifter said:

When I subscribed it was a .99 a month deal for three months, then I got it free for like 9 months because they kept offering to for free.  When I went to see what the real price was, it s $5.99 for Paramount+ (limited ads) or 11.99 for Paramount+Showtime with ads only on live tv.

5 hours ago, donaldbathe said:

I think Wikipedia only shows the original content of the streamer, not anything they are simply re-broadcasting or prior movie releases they are just airing. 

So for instance, Wikipedia won't show Suits because that show was a USA show that Netflix is simply re-airing.  But it will  list season 4 and 5 of Arrested Development.  Seasons 1-3 were aired originally on Fox, but Netflix produced S4-5. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
22 hours ago, DearEvette said:

When I subscribed it was a .99 a month deal for three months, then I got it free for like 9 months because they kept offering to for free.  When I went to see what the real price was, it s $5.99 for Paramount+ (limited ads) or 11.99 for Paramount+Showtime with ads only on live tv.

I think Wikipedia only shows the original content of the streamer, not anything they are simply re-broadcasting or prior movie releases they are just airing. 

So for instance, Wikipedia won't show Suits because that show was a USA show that Netflix is simply re-airing.  But it will  list season 4 and 5 of Arrested Development.  Seasons 1-3 were aired originally on Fox, but Netflix produced S4-5. 

I beg to differ.  Wikipedia will show suits on usa network former/past programming!  Im correcting you because you didnt dig deeper.  This entire conversation began because i began to notice that specifically netflix was constantly uploading new trailers for u.s. content but it seems to me that theres simply too much new u.s. content trailers being uploaded on youtube that wikipedia might not catch up in listing them on netflix programming in their netflix article page on wikipedia!  Thats why many questions!  rsvp. 

22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Sorry, I was just offering likely answers to your question of "why" all of a specific type of information (such as streamer programs) might not be posted on Wikipedia:

• list of 

For example: 

or:

Its certainly a start!  Do you think that wikipedia will list everything as far as netflix, amazon, apple, cbs, nbc, abc, fox, ect... programming as far as past, present, and future programming?  I would like to think so!  Its fairly/relative accurate in my opinion... what do you think?

On 3/12/2024 at 7:26 PM, donaldbathe said:

Basically because nobody has taken the time to edit it.  The streaming services could have their social media people update Wikipedia if they wanted to.

There is an app called JustWatch which collates the information on what is showing on what streaming services. 

You tell it what streaming services you have, and then when you search for a movie/tv show, it'll tell you where its streaming.  It also lists what's coming soon. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
On 3/12/2024 at 3:26 PM, donaldbathe said:

1 hour ago, Ceindreadh said:

Basically because nobody has taken the time to edit it.  The streaming services could have their social media people update Wikipedia if they wanted to.

True, @Ceindreadh, but as a retired librarian I shudder at the idea of "social media people" regularly updating Wikipedia. 😵‍💫😱😰😳
(LOL?)

BTW, @donaldbathe, in case you (or anyone else) didn't know, Wikipedia is populated by volunteers, including librarians, scholars, and (of course) fans.

1 hour ago, Ceindreadh said:

There is an app called JustWatch which collates the information on what is showing on what streaming services. 

Cool!😎
JustWatch.com might be the answer to @donaldbathe's query.
Disclaimer: I haven't tried it.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 3/12/2024 at 9:00 PM, DearEvette said:

My son-in-law did cancel Paramount+, which I see as a good thing in terms of budget priorities now that they have 2 kids in diapers and daycare. 

I'm seeing $5.99 for Paramount+ with limited ads (with a 1 week free trial). 
Right now my antenna is picking up CBS just fine, and usually those late night comedy talk shows are on YouTube, so I'll see if I can do without for now, mostly because I watch too much TV.
Plus, I have Hulu and Peacock if a CBS show is on at the same time as an NBC show or an ABC show.

But if a .99/mo. for 3 months pops up, I'll go for it. 
Thanks for the heads up about that, @DearEvette.

4 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

You tell it what streaming services you have, and then when you search for a movie/tv show, it'll tell you where its streaming.  It also lists what's coming soon. 

Cool; I checked and it's also a website, not just an app, so I can use it.  I generally use the search function on my Fire stick if I'm at the TV or look it up on Google if I'm on the computer when I think to check if something is streaming on anything to which I have access, but that's an additional resource it's good to know about.

• Like 3
(edited)

Today is the first day of my post-Paramount+ life.
I could probably afford it, but I cannot afford every streaming service.
Do I need it?
That's the basic question, right?

🥁The Supreme Test to answer the question:

To Subscribe or Not To Subscribe
(to Paramount+)
 🎺 🎶
Last night, Thursday, included 2+ hours of CBS programming, which I attempted to watch after an exhausting day with my delightful grandbaby.
I fell asleep during the last commercial break and woke up 10-15 minutes into the next show 2 or 3 times.
And my antenna glitched every 15 minutes or so for about 15 seconds or so.

These recently-aired episodes are supposed to be available on CBS.com and with the CBS app on my Roku TV, but for some reason, every time I tried this in the past, I would be asked to select my TV subscription service. 

For whatever reason, that is no longer happening.

Hooray! 
Tune in next week later to see how my non-Paramount+ access is going.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 3

Because of your recent post about this @shapeshifter, and since I cancelled P+ and they didn't offer me a deal to stay, I pulled up the CBS app on my RokuTV and I'm able to see the shows I want such as Ghosts, Amazing Race, etc., including previous seasons. Thanks for this tip!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

…Tune in next week later to see how my non-Paramount+ access is going.

One more adjustment to going Paramount Plus-less if you watch Jeopardy! and if:

• You live in an area where Jeopardy! is broadcast on CBS, and if…
  • Your antenna reception for CBS is spotty, especially at 7pm (or whatever time J! starts in your area)…

then you will have to either:

• find a bootleg on the Tube of You (which will soon be gone) and be ready to pause when they get to Final Jeopardy because they often skip the 30 seconds of think music, or…
  • watch at a neighbor's, or…
  • play reading J! Archive (e.g., tonight's is here), or…
  • (and I haven't figured this out yet) make your computer or Roku TV think it's in a location that broadcasts Jeopardy! over ABC, which has been letting me watch Live without asking for any proof of anything, and has a more reliable antenna signal (here).
  • Useful 2
On 3/13/2024 at 5:39 PM, Ceindreadh said:

Can we safely assume the same for regular cable tv, over the air which is free tv, u.s. movies, ect... on wikipedia that might have missing information and if so, like what in your opinion?

9 minutes ago, donaldbathe said:

What are you saying?  Youre telling me that hbo, showtime, syfy cable tv former programming on wikipedia might not be as reliable as we think?  Some information maybe missing?

Maybe the volunteers needed to nap?😴

54 minutes ago, donaldbathe said:

What are you saying?  Youre telling me that hbo, showtime, syfy cable tv former programming on wikipedia might not be as reliable as we think?  Some information maybe missing?

Wikipedia is like Swiss cheese. It's great, but there will always be holes.

• Like 14
On 3/16/2024 at 6:21 PM, shapeshifter said:

Maybe the volunteers needed to nap?😴

So then where else could get reliable information regarding former, current, and future programming as far as regular tv, cable tv, movies, online streaming, ect....??

On 3/16/2024 at 7:07 PM, Anduin said:

Wikipedia is like Swiss cheese. It's great, but there will always be holes.

So then where else could get reliable information regarding former, current, and future programming as far as regular tv, cable tv, movies, online streaming, ect....??

On 3/12/2024 at 6:39 PM, shapeshifter said:

• list of 

For example: 

or:

Yeah but theres one problem.  Even if you do a google search as such youre really on your own to scavenge for such information without obtaining such information from an official source.... rsvp. 

4 minutes ago, donaldbathe said:

Yeah but theres one problem.  Even if you do a google search as such youre really on your own to scavenge for such information without obtaining such information from an official source.... rsvp. 

My guess is that you're not the only one asking this question.
Likely someone will try to monetize a solution. 

For now, I have 2 Roku TVs that allow me to search for a title and then the software attempts to show me what access I have.
It's very incomplete. For instance, it cannot know what's temporarily freely available on YouTube, and it does not index the Internet Archive (which has, for example, most of the Ironside episodes). 
The Roku search has trouble parsing limited access to seasons too. 
But if I just want something to watch without being too picky, and I'm too tired to do some serious searching and curating of choices, it does the trick.

I imagine in a few years it will do better with the help of AI. 

And Wikipedia will likely have a greater percentage of the data you seek as well.
— unless somebody blows up crucial satellites. 😪
— or sunspots get crazy.😪😪

But probably the worst thing that will happen is a roadblock to funding for free information.

IDK. Just educated guesses.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I don't know if it's available outside of the UK, but I have a subscription to Digiguide TV. 

It can be downloaded to a computer or accessed online.  You tell it what channels you have and it works like an EPG on the tv, with the programmes being updated regularly as the TV stations update them.   So you can see what's on and search for upcoming shows.

Surely there's something similar in the USA, or maybe the number of TV stations might make it unfeasible. 

• Like 1
(edited)

I don't think there is one central location with all the info.

You can try JustWatch, if you know what you're looking for.

You can try The Decider website, which has info on some services and a newsletter (by email) that talks about what's new on some of them.

You can search an individual channel's or service's website to see what they offer.

It's a lot of work and full of holes.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

For now, I have 2 Roku TVs that allow me to search for a title and then the software attempts to show me what access I have.
It's very incomplete. For instance, it cannot know what's temporarily freely available on YouTube, and it does not index the Internet Archive (which has, for example, most of the Ironside episodes). 
But if I just want something to watch without being too picky, and I'm too tired to do some serious searching and curating of choices, it does the trick.

And Wikipedia will likely have a greater percentage of the data you seek as well.

But probably the worst thing that will happen is a roadblock to funding for free information.

If not wikipedia, what do you suggest i do??

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

What about imdb.com??

21 minutes ago, donaldbathe said:

What about imdb.com??

IMDb show/movie pages do have clear, informational links to services that stream that title. 
Each page also serves up curated lists of related and relevant shows or movies.
IMDb seems to have a robust algorithm populating its pages. 

I just noticed this Consumer Reports page: Guide to Streaming Video Services

It looks very useful for all of us on this thread, except that it was posted February 24, and I don't readily see how frequently they issue updates.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, donaldbathe said:

What about imdb.com??

I’m a little unclear on what exactly you’re looking for (maybe not just me?). Do you have a particular show/movie in mind, and you want to know where to stream it?  Do you want to know all new content on a specific streamer this month/week?  All content on a specific streamer?  

I don’t have answers to any of those, but if you can narrow it down, maybe people would be more likely to be able to help you. 

• Like 5
On 3/18/2024 at 6:54 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I’m a little unclear on what exactly you’re looking for (maybe not just me?). Do you have a particular show/movie in mind, and you want to know where to stream it?  Do you want to know all new content on a specific streamer this month/week?  All content on a specific streamer?  

I don’t have answers to any of those, but if you can narrow it down, maybe people would be more likely to be able to help you. 

Im looking for former programming for netflix u.s. programming content which maybe in the 1000s of episodes... but not only netflix but other streamers as well... what do you think?

(edited)
51 minutes ago, donaldbathe said:

Im looking for former programming for netflix u.s. programming content which maybe in the 1000s of episodes... but not only netflix but other streamers as well... what do you think?

This sounds like you're doing research for a project.
If so, you should go to a library and ask a Reference Librarian for assistance (not a Library Assistant who is checking out books). 
The Reference Librarian may have to direct you to another, larger or research library. 
Often research involves traveling distances, even in these days of so much being available online.
But it may be as simple as getting contact information for the right person at Netflix (or other streaming companies).

You might find something on this page: research.netflix.com

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

Today I cancelled Acorn TV, effective at the end of my billing period in about two weeks. With Acorn TV, I have been through a few cycles of subscribe, then unsubscribe, rinse and repeat, over the years. I've enjoyed some of their shows. I'm not saying it's all bad or anything. But this time around - I've been subscribed for a few months - I'm just not finding anything special that I haven't already seen.

I'm keeping my subscription to Britbox. It has plenty of content that I want to watch. For example, I watched, and liked, Wagatha on Britbox this week. It's the dramatization of a real trial. I probably live under a rock - but I'd been unaware of the libel trial pitting two UK footballer's wives against each other over social media and tabloid shenanigans. So this was all new material to me. Wow, what a life some people lead. 

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

For example, I watched, and liked, Wagatha on Britbox this week. It's the dramatization of a real trial. I probably live under a rock - but I'd been unaware of the libel trial pitting two UK footballer's wives against each other over social media and tabloid shenanigans. So this was all new material to me. Wow, what a life some people lead. 

If you have Hulu, there is a documentary there called Colleen Rooney: The Real Wagatha Story. (It's basically her side of it.)

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 3/16/2024 at 6:11 PM, donaldbathe said:

Im talking about former, present, and future programming.... rsvp

On 3/19/2024 at 7:51 PM, shapeshifter said:

If so, you should go to a library and ask a Reference Librarian for assistance (not a Library Assistant who is checking out books). 
The Reference Librarian may have to direct you to another, larger or research library. 
Often research involves traveling distances, even in these days of so much being available online.
But it may be as simple as getting contact information for the right person at Netflix (or other streaming companies).

So then youre saying there are better sources than wikipedia then?

On 3/16/2024 at 6:11 PM, donaldbathe said:

But how is this helpful if wikipedia might not be the best around??

I feel like people have done out best to answer your questions and we don't have anything more to add. It doesn't seem that you are interested in trying the things that have been suggested, but that seems to be all we can tell you here.

• Like 5
  • Applause 9
On 3/19/2024 at 7:51 PM, shapeshifter said:

https://www.quora.com/Does-Netflix-and-other-online-streamers-keep-track-of-past-present-and-future-programming-Do-they-keep-track-of-all-u-s-content-be-it-movies-documentaries-TV-shows-ect-Do-they-keep-records-of-all-programming-they/answer/Mike-Schneider-30?ch=10&oid=1477743748581887&share=6ac7615d&srid=nPbjD&target_type=answer

Dear PBS, at least I know you haven't wasted my donation on creating a user friendly interface for your app. So...thanks? Please feel free to spend a couple of bucks on redesigning it so it knows where I stopped and doesn't want me to watch the entire episode again, and to cut down the number of steps it takes for me to get to an episode in season 1 when season 3 is currently airing.

This is how it works, or doesn't, for me. I stop in the middle of season 1 episode 3. I go back later and instead of picking up where I left off, it wants to play the most recent episode that aired (3.6) or to replay the episode I was watching from the very beginning. Usually, I have to click on the program, scroll to list of seasons, click on 1, look through the list to find the episode, click on episode, click play again to start the episode, fastforward to where I was. Occasionally, it will half remember where I was and only replay the previous 20 or so minutes.

It would also be nice to see what a show is about without having to click on it, but that's a problem on several apps including Disney+ and at least on PBS the images are large enough to read the titles.

• Like 8
  • Hugs 1