Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Go Where I Send Thee

I thought they missed something deep with Luke.  According to the story the couple broke up because Abbie was headed to Quantico, not because of problems in the relationship.  They missed a true triangle opportunity in which Abbie's instinct is to run to Luke, because the love is still there, but because of his role and need for her, she has to stay joined at the hip to Ich.  It would have been cool to see two alpha dogs circle each other, both having legitimate claim to her.  THEN have the whole Luke possession thing happen as Abbie and Ich realize that Moloch is purposely separating them from loved ones and has been their entire lives and attacking those people.  THAT would force their hand at being together (not romantically ----- at first <evil grin>) as the triangle replays itself with Katrina, but Katrina is not Luke and is much more of a player/threat and not happy at all with this witness bonding and you know what they say - hell hath no fury...  Man, I want to write for this show, it would be a blast!

After reading this I want you to write for the show too!

Edited by marceline
  • Love 2

This must the first episode ever where I don't have any wordy opinion about it.

I liked it, don't know that I'd watch it three times over.

Liked the Ichabbie stuff. She called him cute, did she not?

I really enjoyed this episode, especially the small moments many have already mentioned like the name-calling, coffee scene and driving.

Anyone know if those noise canceling earplugs exist? They looked fabulous.

When did she call him cute?  I must go back and watch it.  Between this and The Walking Dead, I must have have missed about 2/3 of the actual show doing something else because when people point it out, I'm like, "Err?"

someone like Crane is obviously worried that Abbie is "going to leave him." This, from a person who in his own time was perfectly self-sufficient. Here in the 21st century, he is completely dependent on Abbie, and we've seen this bothers him, yet his comment to Abbie made it seem like he was a bit upset that she wanted him to be independent - because that would mean that she wouldn't be around as much. Strange yet telling this for the show to add.

I think he meant she was teaching him all those things in case she died on a mission. 

The fact that Ichabod knew all those historical figures doesn't bother me. He was someone who was working with/for Washington, so he got to know the people Washington knew. 

I enjoyed this episode a  lot. I think it's good to have a break from the episodes about the Apocalypse. And it had so many great moments: the cappuccino, the log in ceremony, the driving "lesson"... Lots of Ichabod & Abbie scenes too, so I'm a happy shipper. They're just awesome.

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 2

When did she call him cute?  I must go back and watch it.  Between this and The Walking Dead, I must have have missed about 2/3 of the actual show doing something else because when people point it out, I'm like, "Err?"

When they were talking about Betsy Ross stalking him.  She called him the cutest courier or something like that.

• Love 1

I find it interesting that the show has never shown Crane to have seriously harmed or killed everyone. Crane has never been shown to have stabbed or shot anyone to death at this point.... I find it interesting that they've made Crane a not very effectual fighter also. He's good, but not perfect

(abbreviation mine).  True, he cut off the Hessian's head and made the Headless Horseman.  He does kinda suck at the killing thing.

I am bored to death this season. I don't like Jeremy, Henry or the Horseman of War...whatever they call him.  Using him as the "big bad" is a big old bore.  I am also not blown away by the new guy.  I find myself fast forwarding through most of the episodes or just taking care of chores instead of being riveted to the scenes like I was last year. 

One would think knowing the stakes Irving would have been more cautious.  Things need to pick up or change really quickly!

I decided to rewatch the episode, since apparently I missed everything.  One thing that really tickled my fancy is the way Abbie and Hawley speak.  As formal as Ichabod's speech is, the modern characters are just as informal.  I heard Hawley say that something was the Pied Piper's jam, as in, his favorite thing.  And when Abbie was laughing at the foam on Ichabod's face, she said, "I can't with you."  Both of those phrases are directly lifted from my lexicon.

This season has felt off to me (I blame Katrina). I felt like this episode could have occurred in season 1 so, the show is back on track yay! I think just having Abbie and Ichabod for the majority helped cancel out the rest of the noise this season. As a pathological Ichabbie shipper, I liked the old married vibe between them. Abbie breaking the flute made me think of the kind of relief when a spouse handles a pushy salesperson. Also, my final silliness, Abbie's driving reaction sounds - just close your eyes and tell me what they sound like.

• Love 1

Also, my final silliness, Abbie's driving reaction sounds - just close your eyes and tell me what they sound like.

I agree (if we are on the same track). I thought the way she was holding on, and the reaction noises, meshed with Crane's sidelong glances and smirks were intended to mimic some sensuality without actually going there. But maybe I'm reading way too much in to things.

• Love 2
Odd that Sheriff Reyes was missing this episode. I’d think she would’ve been all over the missing child case.

Agreed. And such a big score would do a lot to reinstate Abbie AND Ichabod in her good graces. Odd that they didn't use that angle at all, especially since Ich was bitching about having to sneak around. 

• Love 1

I was a little confused. I thought the father was Lancaster, but it was the mother? Didn't they refer to the little girl as Sarah Lancaster? So either both parents were Lancasters or the little girl is using her mom's name as her last name? Huh?

Although a monster of the week episode is a nice change of pace, I'm not really feeling this season. Hate to say it but I'm bored with John Noble. His whole storyline is pretty corny and his over the top mustache twirling is getting tiresome. They need to give Orlando Jones more to do.

Loved the driving scene. I thought Abbie called him Ichy Bobbie (making a Ricky Bobbie pun), which cracked me up. Either way, funny.

Edited by Haleth

I agree (if we are on the same track). I thought the way she was holding on, and the reaction noises, meshed with Crane's sidelong glances and smirks were intended to mimic some sensuality without actually going there. But maybe I'm reading way too much in to things.

No you're not. I think it's all deliberate. On top of that, you have the smoking amazing chemistry between the two leads, so it's not very difficult to think this way or see this play out on screen. Look at it one way - Ichabod secretly asked Jenny to teach him to drive, so that when he was in the car with Abbie, she would be impressed by his *ahem* skills. Then takes her on a little thrill ride while he's clearly enjoying how much he's managing to freaking her out/yet make her laugh. This is supposed to be an individual who is a considerably reserved 18th century married gentleman who rants about everything and anything.

Look at it another way - when was the last time you wiped latte foam off of a co-workers mouth yourself? Wouldn't you simply say "Hey, you've got foam on your lip," and hand them a napkin? I know I would, unless maybe there was an underlying crush/attraction/etc.

What I do love is that Ichabod's got this devious streak, a thrill-ride loving personality that truly comes out whenever he's in Abbie's presence. He has fun with her. He may bitch and whine and complain about stuff that he's not used to, but he's open to trying new things, does it, and then assesses the aftermath. The skinny jeans is another example. He tries things for Abbie, however repellent it may be to him, then decides whether its a good thing or not. Abbie truly brings out the better in him.

I was a little confused.  I thought the father was Lancaster, but it was the mother?  Didn't they refer to the little girl as Sarah Lancaster?  So either both parents were Lancasters or the little girl is using her mom's name as her last name?  Huh?  

Although a monster of the week episode is a nice change of pace, I'm not really feeling this season.  Hate to say it but I'm bored with John Noble.  His whole storyline is pretty corny and his over the top mustache twirling is getting tiresome.  They need to give Orlando Jones more to do.

Loved the driving scene.  I thought Abbie called him Ichy Bobbie, which cracked me up.  Either way, funny.

Abbie called him Ricky Bobby - from the movie The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (with Will Ferrell playing a crazy-driving racecar driver).

Sarah's name was Sarah Lancaster-Weiss. Mother was the Lancaster, Father's the Weiss.

I had the same problem last season. The whole "my kid, my kid" drama were the parts that I was bored at. Everything else was fabulous, and then they gave us the ending twist that blew my mind. So they are settings things up. I agree about John Nobel. Fantastic actor but too much scenery chewing. It's a bit cartoonish and false at times. A more effective villian in my mind, is one whose quiet sinister demeanour makes you wonder what they are truly capable of. Perfect example is the little conversation/standoff that Ichabod and Henry had in the hallways. It was nice and understated, yet you knew Henry is an evil person.

But the show is moving their chess pieces into place, setting up the little bits and pieces of information and character relationships and boom, when the time is right, will strike and cause everyone's mouth's to gape in shock and amazement.

• Love 4

Or one of him burning his tongue by drinking it too fast (it's hot under the foam - indeed).

I enjoy this show - it really reminds me of the early X-Files days - with the creepy music, flashlights and guns in the dark, monster of the week as well as the shippiness.  I hope this show avoids the mistakes that one made in its final years (it went on way too long).  What I also really like is the diversity of the cast where many of these genre shows are still whitewashed.

This ep, while not its best, was up there with some of the good X-Files MOTW episodes.  

Happy that the World Series starts on Tuesday next week, so we still get our SH fix!

Edited by apgold
  • Love 1

Or one of him burning his tongue by drinking it too fast (it's hot under the foam - indeed).

But how could he get up and walk away with a burning tongue? When most people drink something that's hotter than expected, they go "Ahhhh!" and either spit it out or swallow it. But I've never seen anyone get up from the table and make a quick exit.

And why are Crane and Abbie so confident that the Pied Piper is really dead? Wasn't he "killed" before? I thought his relationship with Moloch made him immortal.

Somebody talk me down -- I'm not sure whether I'm being too analytical or I'm just confused. When Ichabod tries the cappuccino, he says, "This is typical of the Italians: a gaudy hillock of overheated milk atop a thimble's worth of coffee. And the cost... is equal to three Tennessee stallions."  But according to Wikipedia, "The Tennessee Walker originated from Narragansett Pacer and Canadian Pacer horses brought to Kentucky starting in 1790, crossed with gaited Spanish Mustangs imported from Texas."  And Tennessee didn't become a state until 1796.

Ichabod wouldn't have known any of that!

Lol and in Roanoke they spoke English not high Dutch. The great vowel shift happened in the time of Chaucer. Don't expect historical accuracy from this show!

Was there a fleeting Hamelin reference? How does this pied Piper relate to the fairy tale?

I can buy the devil tricked Irving. I think that's how he often works in folk tales. Not fair but hey, it's the devil. Don't ever sign anything in blood. Ever.

Love Ichabods driving fake out.

Have we all learned now that when the episode shows Ichabod staring into the middle distance recounting some deeply emotional monologue only goodness will ensue once the camera pulls back?

LOL. I knew something funny was going to happen because he was being so dramatic and serious, but what I love about those moments is that even though you know they're going to show something funny, you don't know exactly what until it happens. So it's always funny!

Something else I like: that Abbie said he'd been taking driving lessons from Jenny, which means she's probably responsible for him learning how to drive like a bat out of hell. Heeeeeee. Love that. It's very fitting for Jenny's character.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

I continue to like Hawley. I don't want him to be overused (especially when they could be giving larger roles to Jenny and -- if he gets out of Tarrytown -- to Irving). But I do like how Hawley is essentially the complete opposite of Abbie and Crane. He's not in it for justice or right and wrong or because of the grand big picture of saving the world. That's Abbie and Ichabod's position. They're the heroes of the story. So Hawley makes a great contrast in that he's in it for money, and the rest to him is "save your own ass" self-preservation. I liked seeing how Abbie and Ichabod were revolted by Hawley's pragmatism. They have integrity, Hawley (when the shit hits the fan) does not. So I think the writers are setting up a potential premise where somewhere down the line Hawley will betray them, either to save himself or get the big score or whatever. I think it could be interesting, especially if one of them has to kill him because of it, maybe because there's no other way.

• Love 1

Was there a fleeting Hamelin reference? How does this pied Piper relate to the fairy tale?

I believe Abbie brought it up when Crane was referencing a Pied Piper but he said he was referring to a different guy.

Start pedantry

The 'pied' in the Pied Piper refers his clothing being multicolored (see also "piebald"). This piper wasn't even remotely pied.

End pedantry

• Love 3

Well, that was unsettling. A Sleepy Hollow "Sophie's Choice". And now War is eating bones? I still say that contract should be null and void if he didn't sign it willingly.

Irving did sign the contract willingly, he did not however sign it knowingly (what between being drugged out of his mind and outright lied to, the point of the contract is that the person willingly and knowingly signs away his soul), and that should be the loop-hole that frees him from Henry's clutches.

• Love 1

I loved Abbie saving the day and Crane saying he had it covered, and her saying she knew-- when they both clearly knew he'd been routed and she did in fact save him. It was this way they laughed about it, without at all minimizing her badassery. It wasn't "oh woe, the little woman had to rescue me" it was two equals smirking about the compulsive aspects of false pride.

I can't stand the blonde mercenary. I don't understand why they need him. Why can't they just have jenny be their third warrior and lore expert?

I thought Crane was kidding about Betsy Ross. I would sort of like it if some of his tales turned out to be jokes, like how he faked out Abbie with the driving. It's just hard to imagine him as the poor sexually harassed damsel to Ross's incorrigible advances. It's funny because it's so unlike him, really. If I genuinely thought he was so intimidated that he had to hide from an assault, it wouldn't have made me laugh.

The fact that Ichabod knew all those historical figures doesn't bother me. He was someone who was working with/for Washington, so he got to know the people Washington knew.

This is who I view it, also. And I do like that he has such a jaundiced view of s many of them. We regard our historical figures with far too stuffy an eye, I think.

• Love 2

Irving did sign the contract willingly, he did not however sign it knowingly (what between being drugged out of his mind and outright lied to, the point of the contract is that the person willingly and knowingly signs away his soul), and that should be the loop-hole that frees him from Henry's clutches.

That's what I was trying to explain. Thanks for saying it so clearly and eloquently. Now it makes sense!

I'm so glad I read all the posts, before posting this, because I thought I was alone, but I'm not.

Meaning, I'm so sick and tired of John Noble's Henry/Jeremy/Horseman of War whatever. He bores me. He makes me roll my eyes, and can someone refresh my memory as to why he hates Katrina (okay, I think she abandoned him?) and Ichabod? (He was already dead by the time he was born, no?).

And despite our guys winning a small victory in each episode, I hate, do not like that smirkily, smuggass grin that Henry portrays, and his seemingly winning at everything. It's not an even playing field, if you know what I mean. I think it wouldn't bother me so much if he could, you know, also lose at some of the battles.

I would so much prefer more flashbacks with Lex Corbin, than to see Henry's 'stache twirling villainy, thankyouverymuch.

That said, I loved every.single.scene with Abbie and Ichabod. I'm still waiting for another conversation with Yolanda, however.

• Love 1

Somebody talk me down -- I'm not sure whether I'm being too analytical or I'm just confused. When Ichabod tries the cappuccino, he says, "This is typical of the Italians: a gaudy hillock of overheated milk atop a thimble's worth of coffee. And the cost... is equal to three Tennessee stallions."  But according to Wikipedia, "The Tennessee Walker originated from Narragansett Pacer and Canadian Pacer horses brought to Kentucky starting in 1790, crossed with gaited Spanish Mustangs imported from Texas."  And Tennessee didn't become a state until 1796.

Ichabod wouldn't have known any of that!

j5cochran Is Smarter Than Me.

Seriously, maybe he's been reading up on the past 200 years. Abbie did tell him, "That's another book I'll have to give you."

Something else I like: that Abbie said he'd been taking driving lessons from Jenny, which means she's probably responsible for him learning how to drive like a bat out of hell. Heeeeeee. Love that. It's very fitting for Jenny's character.

But what I don't understand was why he was shifting in the middle of their joy ride. The SUV is not a stick, so he was tearing up Abbie's transmission by shifting into different gears while moving. You can't accelerate and decelerate like that with an automatic transmission--or if you can, it would be gradual because you can't change gears that smoothly. And that's why stick shifts are better. I'm just saying.

Edited by topanga

But what I don't understand was why he was shifting in the middle of their joy ride. The SUV is not a stick, so he was tearing up Abbie's transmission by shifting into different gears while moving. You can't accelerate and decelerate like that with an automatic transmission--or if you can, it would be gradual because you can't change gears that smoothly. And that's why stick shifts are better. I'm just saying.

Hee. topanga, I drive standard too, so when I first saw the clip of him driving like a maniac, I was like what? That's not right. Abbie's car is an automatic. He doesn't need to shift anything. Upon review, I realized what Crane was doing. Those very sharp 180 degree turns? He was pulling up the parking break to achieve them.The sound guys even dubbed in the right sound of the parking break being pulled up hard (it sounds exactly like that in my car).

Loved this scene to death, even though I have a feeling Abbie's car might need a new transmission AND a new parking break.

• Love 2

Hee. topanga, I drive standard too, so when I first saw the clip of him driving like a maniac, I was like what? That's not right. Abbie's car is an automatic. He doesn't need to shift anything. Upon review, I realized what Crane was doing. Those very sharp 180 degree turns? He was pulling up the parking break to achieve them.The sound guys even dubbed in the right sound of the parking break being pulled up hard (it sounds exactly like that in my car).

Loved this scene to death, even though I have a feeling Abbie's car might need a new transmission AND a new parking break.

I agree - he was using the parking break to do this - I remember seeing something similar in the movie The Bodyguard, when Portman (I think that was his name) was teaching the limo driver kid how to drive the limo in an escape...

Having said that - I do wonder where we are heading.  I don't want Irving pulled over to the dark side.  

And Henry actually is boring me a bit.  I know he's up to something, but he feels less menacing than before - largely because I think the big shock with him is overwith... plus, the scenes with Moloch make him look pathetic... and worse, the idea of redeeming him just to give Katrina a storyline bothers me.  I think it's enough to have Ichabod wavering a bit with him - but Katrina too?  Ugh.  So not here for that - or for her.  She's made two villains who should be supremely interesting boring!  Abraham's Headless Horseman now looks as threatening as a church mouse.  And Henry just seems less menacing over all.  The whole "Cranes family drama" is honestly dragging the show down.  I think it worked well with Ichabod having a conflict - but the thought of Katrina (who already caused Abbie to be trapped in purgatory due to her shadyness) potentially leaving Abbie exposed and vulnerable because she wants to "save war" just bothers me.  I don't see her or Crane trying to "save death", and they're more directly responsible for his foolishness than Henry.  I guess I'm just not buying the love story of Ichatrina.  At all.  And so far the only thing epic about Ichatrina has been Katrina's EPIC shady-ness.

I think the ultimate test of her as a character is simple:  would the storylines today still be possible without her?  I think the answer is categorically yes.  There were plenty of other ways to drive story without her.  The clash between Ichabod and Headless/Death would STILL be there.  The weeping lady conflict would STILL be there.  They could have found another way to illustrate Abby being left in Purgatory - the character is just a plot device, exposition fairy and a MacGuffin... something to strive towards, not a real character - that's why fans haven't warmed up to her (well, most fans).  I wish the writers had stuck to their guns about killing her off in the pilot.

So far - the only bright spots for me are the storyline with Iriving/Henry (there, Henry looks terrifying), Ichabbie (of course), and any scene with Jenny.  Nick's "Aww Damn!" made me laugh outloud and I rewound it multiple times because if I was in his shoes, I probably would have said the same thing in the same exact tone of voice.  I was very relieved not to see Katrina.

Overall I loved this episode - and next week looks really good.  How much mayhem and chaos can one coupling (Ichatrina) create?  Sheesh.

• Love 1

Quote: But what I don't understand was why he was shifting in the middle of their joy ride. The SUV is not a stick, so he was tearing up Abbie's transmission.

A lot of automatics are semi-automatic which allows the driver to manually control timing of gear shift for improved control but without a clutch. I have heard it referred to as tiptronic, geartronic, touchshift, ...seems like each car company uses a different name. Not sure if the SUV in question has it, but I assumed that is what was going on.