Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Girl Meets The Forgotten

Well I loved that episode. The lunch lady (Jeralyn?) was awesome as was seeing Harley again. I just kept waiting for him to call Cory Baboon, so I'm happy they gave us that. I thought it was a nice lesson for the kids to learn.

• Love 1

The Good:

1. Harley. Having him back was simply wonderful. His interaction with the kids was great. I'm sad that he feels like he deserves the treatment he gets from everyone though. He really has changed over the years. I'd love to have him back and learn just how he ended up in NY. It's like he's had a whole life, character development and all, since his last appearance on BMW. Him telling Cory "I appreciate you, baboon," was heartwarming because we know their past.

Also, I'd love to see his sister Theresa return. She was wonderful.

2. Cory. Poor Cory, always under-appreciated. I feel so bad for him. He does manage to sell the sometimes bad/sappy writing he gets. I like that he still has an appreciation for lunch lady's. Those that watched BMW remember how that started.

3. Lunch Lady Geral-something. She was great. I liked that she always gave Maya extra food, even if that seemed a little on the nose and creepy that a lunch lady knows about her home life.  I hope to see her back in future episodes the way Harley is.

4. Maya. She always gives a brilliant performance. Tonight, more than any other night, she reminded me of Shawn with the dumbness. I was amused.

5. No Auggie.

The Bad:

1. The lesson felt so forced when they were talking about it at the end. Was BMW ever as 'in your face' with the life lessons? I don't think it was.

2. Riley still annoys me. I think its both the acting and the writing.

3. Lucas. He was back to being the bland character with a bland performance the way he was in the first few episodes. I think this proves more than anything that he should mostly have his scenes with Maya. His acting improves by leaps and bounds when they are paired up, and their chemistry really pops.

1. The lesson felt so forced when they were talking about it at the end. Was BMW ever as 'in your face' with the life lessons? I don't think it was.

It definitely was. Especially early on. Although one thing I worry about this show is that while Cory and Shawn got to grow up, I doubt that we will get to see Riley and Maya really grow up the same way, if the other Disney sitcoms (that I only notice in a peripheral sort of way) are any indication - they all seem to try to just regurgitate the same story for as many episodes as they can get. 

As for this episode - wow, the Harley stuff was surprising, in a really good way.

As for the lunch lady - seriously, did Michael Jacobs have some really intense relationship with his school's lunch lady? This is now two episodes (one BMW and one here) that he has written about how great and unappreciated the school's cafeteria worker was. At least he is consistent in showing that Cory always appreciates the cafeteria workers. 

Ok, so now we have Cory and Topanga, Minkus, and Harley who all magically wound up in the same spot in NYC.  I call BS that Shawn and Eric don't live down the block.  The lack of cheering from the audience must mean they didn't know who Harley was.  He wasn't easy to recognize without the greaser hair.

The lunch lady plays the exact same character on General Hospital except she is a loud, scary nurse with a heart of gold instead of middle school lunch lady.

Riley is being written as stupid.  Cory was never stupid, he was just neurotic.

Ok, so now we have Cory and Topanga, Minkus, and Harley who all magically wound up in the same spot in NYC.  I call BS that Shawn and Eric don't live down the block.  The lack of cheering from the audience must mean they didn't know who Harley was.  He wasn't easy to recognize without the greaser hair.

The lunch lady plays the exact same character on General Hospital except she is a loud, scary nurse with a heart of gold instead of middle school lunch lady.

To a point, I agree there. Sadly :(. Cory could get annoying at times. But Riley can be 'mute button' annoying.

Originally posted by Lord Kira

The Bad:

2. Riley still annoys me. I think its both the acting and the writing.

It seemed that way and hearing the word 'world' made me want to throw something up in my mouth and at my tv... [bless your heart] :D[/grin] at Disney.

Yea that's what I've been thinking too. I've been hoping better writing would help, and it has in part, but she needs to turn it down a couple of notches.

Ok, so now we have Cory and Topanga, Minkus, and Harley who all magically wound up in the same spot in NYC.  I call BS that Shawn and Eric don't live down the block. 

Cory & Topanga moved to NYC.

Minkus runs Minkus International. Based on the fact that Farkle lives with his mom & Minkus is still very much into Topanga, I'd assume Minkus & Farkle's mom aren't together. Minkus flew into NYC in his helicopter just to attend Career Day - and even if he does live in NYC, he runs Minkus International, a wealthy and big company.

as for Harley, Cory got him hired as a janitor..in the same school he teaches..in New York.

I forgot to mention I really liked when Cory made the bell "ring" and walked out of class. That was funny. I also got a laugh out of Riley's Grand Canyon pun, though I thought she was supposed to be smarter than that. She was really channeling her Uncle Eric there. I'm also glad it was an Auggie-free episode. I really like the little kid, but he's been getting to be a bit much recently.

Cory & Topanga moved to NYC.

Minkus runs Minkus International. Based on the fact that Farkle lives with his mom & Minkus is still very much into Topanga, I'd assume Minkus & Farkle's mom aren't together. Minkus flew into NYC in his helicopter just to attend Career Day - and even if he does live in NYC, he runs Minkus International, a wealthy and big company.

as for Harley, Cory got him hired as a janitor..in the same school he teaches..in New York.

Well, I guess I missed the part where Cory got him the job. At any rate I think four alumni from a high school in PA being associated with the same middle school in a place as big as NYC is starting to get silly. That's not even counting the fact that Cory and Topanga basically count as one person.
  • Love 1

4. Maya. She always gives a brilliant performance. Tonight, more than any other night, she reminded me of Shawn with the dumbness. I was amused.

See, the more the show progresses the less I get these comparisons to Shawn, and the dumbness.  In virtually every episode after the pilot we've been shown that Maya is the smart one and Riley the dumb one.  We were told initially that "on paper" Riley gets As in a Topanga like manner, and Maya bad grades.  But other than that Maya usually seems to be the one not only with the common sense (with the rare exception like the potato spicing) and also often more specific knowledge.  And while both girls are shown to be a  bit slackery in their work habits, Riley is the one who makes the dimwitted Shawn-like comments that Maya sighs over--not the other way around.  That one part is consistent 100%.

Edited by Kromm

Creating a mashed potato volcano seemed out a character for both Lucas and Farkle, but hey it got us to the lesson. I swear there was supposed io be an ep where Cory gets Harley the job as a janitor. Apparently "Stop It" with the fawning hair flip is the Maya/Riley catchphrase.

The lack of cheering from the audience must mean they didn't know who Harley was.  He wasn't easy to recognize without the greaser hair.

I didn't recognize him until he called Corey baboon.  

See, the more the show progresses the less I get these comparisons to Shawn, and the dumbness.

I think the only way Maya is like Shawn is the messed up home life.

• Love 1

I think the only way Maya is like Shawn is the messed up home life.

I suppose maybe both Shawn and Maya are playable as "troubled" in a number of ways, so there's that.  But really Riley is this show's Shawn in many ways, as I said. I don't even know why they bothered insisting in that one episode that she had all those As, because they've gone against that in every episode since.  But even if she's book smart somehow, and just super-lazy, she's still the one filling the Sitcom Boilerplate role of "the one whole makes the dumb statements/comments" (so in that way she's the Shawn, the Vinnie Barbarino, whatever you want to call her...)

Edited by Kromm

Oh Cory was stupid a times. Remember when he was shocked to find out teachers want students to study for tests? Or the time he actually read the assigned book all the way to the beginning. Stupid Cory was key to several of my favorite BMW episodes.

I thought Riley was more self-centered than stupid this episode. Thinking she was the forgotten wasn't so much stupid as oblivious. A kid thinking the world revolves around them isn't all that uncommon. It's something I would expect her to grow out of.

I actually thought that this episode was slightly more subtle with its lesson. Sure it was obvious where it was going, but I think earlier episodes would have had Cory spelling it out to the kids that the staff was the forgotten. This time he let them figure it out on their own.

• Love 1

Harley Kiner as the janitor just made this episode for me. When he was hanging out on the wall, it was a forcible reminder of the BMW that I loved so much.  I thought the lesson was a good one for kids to learn and was glad to see Harley take such pride in his work (and Jeralyn too).

• Love 1

I think that, smarts-wise, Riley and Maya are fairly close to Corey and Shawn, respectively.  Corey was never super smart (that was all Topanga).  He was probably about average, with his extremely doofy moments and some smart moments, depending on the situation/subject.  Shawn was never, to my recollection portrayed as "stupid" as much as just the kid who was on his own and had no one to push him to do well in school.  Maya comes across as a little smarter than I remember Shawn being, but not to a point where I don't still see the comparison.The only one I remember from the original show as being portrayed as really dumb was Eric.  

I still find Riley rather dead on in terms of being Corey's daughter.  She has a lot of the same mannerisms and expressions, and young Corey was generally pretty clueless in a lot of situations and needed one of Shawn, Topanga, or Feeney to help him along.  But, there were also times, especially in more serious family issues, where Corey was there for Shawn and helped him come to some realizations, along with the help of his (Corey's) parents, similar to how Riley does help push Maya (like with her art and to stick with school) with the help of her parents.  

Having said all of that, I don't need all the characters in this version to fit exactly into the same slot their predecessors fit into.  It shouldn't be essentially re-runs of BMW with the roles played by the opposite sex.  It should be an homage, with some similarities, but their own "world" (and, yes, I feel cheesy for writing that).  

I think my favorite part of this episode was traumatized Farkle and Lucas after their stint with Harley, and Harley's "they came to me as boys, and they leave, well, I'm not sure what they are."  (Paraphrasing there, can't remember the exact wording). 

• Love 1
I think my favorite part of this episode was traumatized Farkle and Lucas after their stint with Harley, and Harley's "they came to me as boys, and they leave, well, I'm not sure what they are."  (Paraphrasing there, can't remember the exact wording).

I loved Lucas's "You don't know, man! You weren't there!" followed by "I wouldn't trade this for a trip to the moon." "That was an elective?!"

Another thing I liked, even if it did seem out of character, was Lucas's absolute joy at the potato mountain, while the others looked grossed out. One thing that bugged: Lucas and Farkle just threw away the plates that we know get washed. I thought Maya and Riley were going to jump up and yell at them for throwing away dishes.

Having said all of that, I don't need all the characters in this version to fit exactly into the same slot their predecessors fit into.  It shouldn't be essentially re-runs of BMW with the roles played by the opposite sex.  It should be an homage, with some similarities, but their own "world" (and, yes, I feel cheesy for writing that).  

Me neither, but there's still some adjustment that needs to be done. A little toning down of Riley as a character might help. Don't dislike it entirely, but it can be a little off putting. Do agree about how it shouldn't be re-runs of BMW with the roles being played by the opposite sex. They need to be able to have it branch off into its own entity.

In the middle of watching the episode... don't really mind Riley that much. Seems like a good balance here. And Harley rules ;).

Just finished it: It's one of my favorite episodes so far! Riley wasn't really annoying, Maya was good, so were Lucas and Farkle. Topanga stood out too, really brought it, so did Cory. The pieces have come together imo, and I hope they can keep it up. I'd love to see more episodes with Harley in it too, he did a very good job.

I couldn't figure out why I enjoyed this episode more than usual, until someone mentioned Auggie, and I realized there was no Auggie this episode! Am I going to hell for being glad he wasn't there? Maybe.

Nah you're not. And tbh, there are some episodes with him that are pretty good. So I'm not going to be blaming him for any short falls. That comes down (mainly) to the writers.

This ep kinda remind me of the boy meets world ep when Corey loved his lunch lady back in high school who ended up dying at the end and having Corey and Feeney attend the funeral. Does anyone else remember that one?

Yes. I also was reminded of the time Shawn's dad was the janitor and he and Cory stopped making a mess of the school. I wonder if they'll do something original after they use up all the BMW plots.

You know whats coming, right?  Topanga is going to take Auggie to the park and he's going to say something like "Mommy, I'm going to play with the squirrels" and then Topanga will look into the camera and give a funny look.

You know whats coming, right?  Topanga is going to take Auggie to the park and he's going to say something like "Mommy, I'm going to play with the squirrels" and then Topanga will look into the camera and give a funny look.

My eyes, my eyes O_O. XD

Yes. I also was reminded of the time Shawn's dad was the janitor and he and Cory stopped making a mess of the school. I wonder if they'll do something original after they use up all the BMW plots.

I forgot about that one, it's been a long time since I've seen some of the episodes. I hope they're able to do so.

That was surprisingly touching, and considering the source was the corporatized Disney machine, surprisingly subversive. Imagine -- actually believing the "blood, sweat, and tears" American worker, not the corporate oligarchy, is worthy of respect and admiration? (And the janitor and lunch lady are probably members of a union too!)

I'm sad that [Harley] feels like he deserves the treatment he gets from everyone though. He really has changed over the years.

Maybe to atone for his past as a bully?

I don't care if Topanga is a bad mother or what, but I love her interactions/ruminations on children, especially when she remembered she had another kid.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

I actually liked this episode better than any of the previous ones.  I liked the message without it feeling overly cheesy, as I think tends to be issue with Girl Meets World message episodes.  Though to be fair it seems like every episode is a message episode.

I had no clue that was the Greaser Bully from the earlier seasons of Boy Meets World. I still remember Adam Scott's Griff character because it's Adam Scott and even then I thought he had an interesting face, but that was actually pretty cool of the show to get Harley back.

I liked this episode for the fact that we saw them interact with adults who were not Corey in the school setting.

• Love 1

this episode was okay. not really funny, i can tell they were trying to be funny but i've laughed at a whole season of dog with a blog combined compared to this one episode alone. also i liked the scenes with harley and the guys, it was nice to get away from riley and maya at some points. i like the message also because everyone deserves appreciation, and i loved the scene with riley showing appreciation for topanga. REALLY great lesson for kids. all in all okay episode :P

It definitely was. Especially early on. Although one thing I worry about this show is that while Cory and Shawn got to grow up, I doubt that we will get to see Riley and Maya really grow up the same way, if the other Disney sitcoms (that I only notice in a peripheral sort of way) are any indication - they all seem to try to just regurgitate the same story for as many episodes as they can get. 

It depends on what show you're talking about. On Good Luck Charlie, the kids definitely grew and changed over time. And on Dog With a Blog, the characters (and their relationships with each other) have grown and changed since the show started.

Actually, I think DC's newer shows make more of an effort with stuff like this than their older shows did.

It depends on what show you're talking about. On Good Luck Charlie, the kids definitely grew and changed over time. And on Dog With a Blog, the characters (and their relationships with each other) have grown and changed since the show started.

Actually, I think DC's newer shows make more of an effort with stuff like this than their older shows did.

Well, that's good to know, then! Thanks for the head's up!