Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Blind Auditions (3)

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

am behind because I am on dvr but finally I am excited....Ricky Manning did a great job!!!  Not a fan of runs but I thought his were tastefully done and I have listened to his rendition of "Love Me Again" about 4 times!!!  Really supportive Dad too.

Blessing Offor appeared previously on Bravo's Platinum Hit in 2011. In the previews I thought he looked familiar and then when he said his name I was like "Yep that's the guy." He was a lot better here than I remember him being on that show (that show was all about songwriting). Adam actually did mention he was a half step off key the whole song, but I think that can be fixed. He was still pretty decent. 

Did not get the girl with the little dad at all. Her voice was way too breathy for my liking. And I felt sad for the kid that lives on a farm. I do agree with the coaches that he should have concentrated more on the singing and less on the dancing. He looked so sad at the end, poor kid. Maybe he'll come back in a couple seasons. The guy who sang Devil Went Down to Georgia… he was an obviously an amazing fiddle player but that was just a dumb choice of song. The show is called The Voice, not The Fiddle Playing Show. It was funny how his family was like "Why aren't they turning around for him?" Um, maybe because he's not even really singing anything? 

In order of strongest to weakest teams so far I would say Pharrell definitely has the strongest team by far, followed by Blake, then Adam, then Gwen with the weakest team by far. Although the Jamaican girl she picked up last is good.

• Love 1

I didn't hear anything spectacular tonight, and am surprised at how poorly these singers breathe.  I would think even untrained people would try to not take big, sucking breaths in the middle of a word. I can cut some slack for nerves, but so many of them say, "Singing is my life!!!", but seem to know very little about technique. I guess that's why they are here - to be coached on technique.  I hope anyway.  Blinds are always my favorite episodes.  Hope the young man from the farm comes back. He did a great job holding it together during the comments, and then was so sad in his exit. 

Loving the mix with Gwen and Pharrell!

I don't pretend to know a lot about music, but they picked a lot of singers who really didn't sing very well tonight.    Even I can tell if someone is off pitch or having trouble with breathing.     Maybe they sound better in person, but I felt like they coaches picked a lot of people so they'd have someone to flush away during the battles.

• Love 3

I loved the last singer tonight and was so excited that she didn't pick Adam. Adam's team is one of the weakest he's had but he still ended up with a couple of my favorites.

I still can't warm to Gwen. She's just there and doesn't add a lot. Pharrell might be one of my favorite judges already. He's just so awesome.

Adam really needs to take a season off. He's making me nuts.

• Love 1

I'm gonna be completely shallow and say I want John Martin to make the live shows. That guy is good eye candy. He kinda reminds me of Kris Allen too.

He's kinda a poor man's Josiah Hawley.

His name is annoying to look for outside of his official music social profiles, since another John Martin was on Don't You Worry Child and he pops up a lot instead.

Ok Pharrell. Stop turning your chair for mediocre singers because they will pick you.  I'm amazed because Usher and Shakira had to prove themselves before the most talented would give them a chance.  But Pharrell is just magic and his resume just speaks for itself.  

Man I would kill for a season of Blake, Usher, Pharrell and maybe Christina.  

• Love 4

I, too, would kill for a season of Blake, Usher, Pharrell and Christina (NOBODY brings the good crazy like her).

I really wanted to like Blessing Offor cause I liked him and I liked his positive attitude in the face of his real adversity, but dawg, he was pitchy.

Also, agree with someone up above who said the dark haired girl, with the small dad, was so breathy it was annoying. I couldn't believe Blake chose her, but then they all have to have some fodder for the knock out rounds or whatever they're called now.

Devil Went Down to Georgia: I seriously HATE that song. I know that's probably not a popular opinion, but I never liked it and it seems dated and totally out of place on a show like The Voice.

Gwen continues to annoy me and I'm not even sure why; Pharrell continues to be the center of my The Voice universe.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

The coaches have their work cut out for them. Most of the contestants can't sing much better than me, and that is definitely not a compliment. Hope John Martin sticks around. If The Voice doesn't work out, he has a future as a model.

• Love 1

I'm not agreeing with the judges at all. In the past few episodes, I've thought so many of the 4 chair turns should've been 1 or 2 at most, and I've been very impressed with many of the 1-2 chairs. 

Troy Ritchie was very good - while not the most interesting, he was on point with pitch, had good energy, and did a reasonably original interpretation. I thought he was way better than John Martin, who I don't remember impressing me at all. 

• Love 2

Ok Pharrell. Stop turning your chair for mediocre singers because they will pick you.  I'm amazed because Usher and Shakira had to prove themselves before the most talented would give them a chance.  But Pharrell is just magic and his resume just speaks for itself.  

Thirded. Pharrell's calm, measured cool would contrast well with Christina's blunt, unintentional/intentional shade-throwing. While the girl couldn't sniff a hit if it were tied to an anchovy bratwurst and dangling from her nose, there's been no other judge as skilled at demonstrating the vocal mechanics of what they're saying in their critiques. (With the exception perhaps of Usher.)

All throughout this evening's set of auditions, I was wishing she had been on the judges chairs. While everyone was cooing over the various so-so vocal performances, what I wouldn't have given for a little Christina "THIS is how you shoulda sung it" grandstanding. Especially with Pharrell schooling Adam and keeping him in check, it'd be nice to have some of Xtina's unabashed honesty counterbalancing the other judges.

• Love 3

Thirded. Pharrell's calm, measured cool would contrast well with Christina's blunt, unintentional/intentional shade-throwing. While the girl couldn't sniff a hit if it were tied to an anchovy bratwurst and dangling from her nose, there's been no other judge as skilled at demonstrating the vocal mechanics of what they're saying in their critiques. (With the exception perhaps of Usher.)

All throughout this evening's set of auditions, I was wishing she had been on the judges chairs. While everyone was cooing over the various so-so vocal performances, what I wouldn't have given for a little Christina "THIS is how you shoulda sung it" grandstanding. Especially with Pharrell schooling Adam and keeping him in check, it'd be nice to have some of Xtina's unabashed honesty counterbalancing the other judges.

Fourthed.

But, I was celebrating along with Gwen when she got her reggae talent. Good for Anita seeing through Adam's antics. Gwen is so talented and experienced but she's yet to work out how to shrewdly convey it in her style.

• Love 1
I'm gonna be completely shallow and say I want John Martin to make the live shows. That guy is good eye candy. He kinda reminds me of Kris Allen too.

Oh, me too, on both counts.  First thought I had was, "Kris Allen," whom I admittedly and unashamedly loved.  Anyhow, his audition is the first one I reversed and listened to again.  I want to hear more from him.  

I'm a little behind and just listening to the blind guy now - is it my TV/sound or is he horrifically "pitchy"??

He started out very off-key and swerved in and out of the right key for most of the song.  I wasn't watching the woman who sang "Danny's Song" but listened to it and thought she was off too.  They both have good tone so maybe it was a nerve problem.  Guess we'll find out in the battle rounds.

Edited by limecoke

Okay, that was the worst rendition of Unconditionally that I've ever heard. Four-chair turn? Really?

It was tragically bad.  Of course, it doesn't help that I despise that song. 

I'm going to wade into the shallow end with you because...he's yummy.  I feel like a dirty old lady, but I don't care.

I thought Blessing was terribly, terribly off key. I was sure no one would turn due to that. Since he seems like such a nice person, I'm willing to overlook the lapse in the judges' taste, but dayum. 

I felt really sorry for the dancing teen when he started babbling about his goats, cats, and dogs because it really showed how very young he is. Maybe next year, kid! 

And I agree with those people who have commented on breath control with some of the singers. The chick who sang "The Story" and the black-haired woman who sang "It Ain't Me" both sounded like they were hyperventilating into the mic at times. Good gravy, the only music training I've had is high school chorus, but even I know how to control my breathing.

For me there was a disconnect between Blessing's voice and what he was playing on the keyboard.  They sounded like they were in different keys.  If I blocked out the music the voice at least didn't feel like nails on a blackboard.  Please take ALL instruments away from him.

I'm a bit frightened that I immediately recognized Blessing from Platinum Hit. He went out second and it was three years ago. Oh, the things my brain chooses to remember.

I look forward to seeing more of John Martin's face, and the Kris Allen comparisons are spot on. I also really liked Anita and that she ended up on Gwen's team.

Ok Pharrell. Stop turning your chair for mediocre singers because they will pick you. I'm amazed because Usher and Shakira had to prove themselves before the most talented would give them a chance. But Pharrell is just magic and his resume just speaks for itself.

Very true. I have little detail to add, yesterday was soooo bad- some truly tone deaf mediocrities. Embarrassing; if I didn't know better I'd think this was a joke show like Superstar USA (a one-off one season parody of AI that was as evil as it was hilarious). This had to have been editing- these were the bottom of the barrel auditoners that usually come last, right? So everyone was looking for cannon fodder singers at that point... right?! We'll get more of the talented people soon... right?!?

But the part I most noticed is what you pointed out: not once but twice last night Pharrell "won" a singer he clearly regretted turning around for, and visibly didn't want (plus the times he tried to throw himself under the bus by pointing out what a great couch Blake would be for that singer. In one instance in the 2nd hour of last night- can't recall exactly when- he actually heard his name chosen as the mentor, and the camera cuts to him, sitting absolutely motionless with a frozen look on his face, before he slowly stands up, and shakes Blake's hand as if to say "You win this round, Blake...". I felt bad for whichever singer it was, because only the most narcissistic diva couldn't read that body language clear as a bell. Ouch!

Granted, Pharrell's also going to learn the great value of disposable singers in those first battle rounds, if he doesn't make a rookie mistake and pair up two strong singers early. But it was still awkward to watch.

• Love 1
I also really liked Anita and that she ended up on Gwen's team.

Anita's performance was great ... looking forward to her interactions with Gwen.

No one else's voice stood out in a good way.  Except maybe the guy who had never had singing lessons.  I can't remember where he ended up, but I was glad he got chosen.  He has some raw talent.

I'm amazed because Usher and Shakira had to prove themselves before the most talented would give them a chance.  But Pharrell is just magic and his resume just speaks for itself.

I think the difference is that Pharrell presents as very serious musically (like Cee-Lo), is extremely articulate in his speech, and comes off very empathic.  Usher was always too focused on himself, with all of that posturing.  And I don't think he's that smart.  Shakira had the cultural barriers to deal with; I'm still not certain what her aesthetic was in re her singers. 

I loved Adam telling that one singer that he needed some training, which immediately disqualified him as a mentor.  Nonetheless, I believe that singer picked Adam.  Poor fool.  I, too, found nothing to write home about in this group of singers. 

• Love 1

The last people the last singer should have considered as coaches wer Blake and Gwen. She barely got four words out, so they weren't racing to pick you, they were racing to one-up each other.

With the exception of the blind guy, whose major skill was the instrument none of the judges could see him playing, I don't get the selections at all, least of all is Blake's selection of the girl with the little father, she sounded horrible.

Are the judges required to pick people from each audition day, because were I them, with the possible exception of the last singer, I would have passed on everyone.

Well, we still don't know how many people they see versus how many they pick.  Is it 50% , i.e., do the coaches know they have 100 pre-filtered singers who audition, and whoever wasn't reached by the time the 48th person was selected gets a free pass to audition first the next season?  Or is it more like 80% of singers who audition for the coaches are picked?  And am I safe in assuming the producers intentionally weight the better or more promising singers (in their opinion) to go earlier?

Whatever the numbers, other than the final episode, we don't even know the order they sang; this was the weakest blind audition episode, and might have been mostly people who came near the end, when coaches were filling out their rosters and were okay with some weaker singers who could be cannon fodder for the blinds and knockouts.  The show then edits it so we get relatively balanced episodes of contestants being picked and a few no-chair singers, presumably with some understanding of who made it to the live shows.