Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E02: Kill the Messenger

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

Tonight's episode was decent-- recognized the wife from Manhattan so I was sure she was in on, but I guessed wrong. I liked Abby and Bishop being friendly, especially in regards to Abby's interest in the park ranger. That was cute. I thought there was some nice humor, though I do wish Tony wasn't such a snoop-- I enjoyed him getting chewed out by Delilah (although it doesn't seem to have made a dent... at least they're consistent).

I know not everyone likes Vance, but wow, the plot that he might have lung cancer felt so far out of left field I thought we had left the stadium. I'm really glad he doesn't have cancer, because that would have just been cruel to those poor kids, since they already killed Jackie (boo hiss). I thought Rocky did a good job of portraying a man facing his own mortality and being unprepared for it, but I'm not really sure what the point was.

• Love 3

The Vance stuff made me cry, especially thinking about his poor kids. This could have been done over a few episodes and felt so rushed, but glad he's ok. Seeing the flashback made me miss Jackie.

Abby and the officer were so cute.

• Love 2

My cable box decided last night was a good time to go belly up so I watched the NCIS episode on my 7" tablet, which was better than nothing.  I enjoyed the episode as I prefer it when the show centers around individual crime cases, and I was wrong in guessing Abby's potential new love interest was in on the murder.  Lots of red herrings in the episode.

I've always liked Vance because I like Rocky Carroll and I will admit to getting a bit misty eyed at the Jackie flashback as well as seeing a softer Vance in the hospital with his daughter.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode mostly.  The tatted up Park Police officer was really cute.  I hope they let he and Abby have a go.  Interesting break in that Tony didn't suspect the wife this time around and Tim did.  

I kind of got the impression that the babysitter may have the hots for Vance.

• Love 1

The Vance-part was the best part.  I think many people are unprepared (even given what he does for a living).

But, alas, the story - - - not so good.

I'm still waiting for Bishop to show me why she's on NCIS's crack team.  . . . . . . . . . . . .  (still waiting . . . . . . . . . ..  . . and waiting)

• Love 3

Thought this was a fun, typical NCIS episode.  I don't think Bishop needs to prove why she's at NCIS.  There was an available spot.  She helped the team find Parsa last season and now she's a Probie.  She hasn't done anything egregious yet and otherwise is doing her job well. 

Rocky was great.  I'd like to see more Vance this season.

• Love 2
CBS | NCIS (18.6 mil/2.6) added a few eyeballs versus its premiere but slipped 10 percent in the demo

Ratings

I don't think Bishop needs to prove why she's at NCIS.  There was an available spot.  She helped the team find Parsa last season and now she's a Probie.

Agreed.  I especially like that she's OK with being a probie, and TPTB keep reinforcing that through Tony and McGee, not as much through Gibbs.  I think it shows the progression of Tony and McGee's careers as well as Bishop's career.  The whole tattoo conversation reminded me of how Kate and Abby used to talk, and I always liked that vibe.  Gotta say, though, I did not like the park ranger dude.  Something about him seemed "off" even for Abby.  The case felt all over the place to me, and as much as I loved the Jackie flashback, I HATED the Vance story.  That level of misery can stay in Israel and keep Ziva company far away from DC.  I'm not interested in it coming back to pile tragedy upon tragedy on another character.  It's good that Vance doesn't have cancer, but in my opinion, there was no reason to go there at all.

I agree with everyone who got the vibe from Vance and the nanny, and I also think she's too young for him.  I wouldn't mind if Vance started to see a woman socially---like the step before dating seriously---but definitely not with the nanny.

I'm very excited for the Ducky episode next week!

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 2

Ohmo,  I had the same reaction to another potential Vance tragedy. Last season there was less Vance and his traumas and I felt the show worked better for it.  I am hoping last night was just a one off and we aren't back to having him basically be a de facto member of team Gibbs.  Frankly when Vance is on more that is who Gibbs spends a lot of his scenes with versus his team and IMO the show is poorer for it.

As for Bishop I too agree she doesn't need to prove why she is on Team Gibbs.  There was an open spot.  She helped them catch Parsa and she has been doing her job competently,  Sure she isn't a "super" agent yet but she is where she should be on the learning curve.  Frankly her introduction reminds me of McGee's.  He too had a learning curve that made sense 

I was really taken aback by the whole Vance subplot, since I was getting convinced they were about to kill the character off.  Then he's fine!  I'm glad he is okay of course but yes, it was awfully quick.  I did think he was getting attracted to the nanny but maybe also feeling a need to find a stepmother for the children in view of his situation.

The resolution to the crime wasn't that surprising, simply because I thought jealous-wife would be too bland a storyline for NCIS to use as a wind-up though maybe they have before.  Corruption made for a more interesting storyline.  I did  wonder also if Abby's park ranger friend would turn out to be a baddie though hopefully not (if he returns).

I was really taken aback by the whole Vance subplot, since I was getting convinced they were about to kill the character off.  Then he's fine!  I'm glad he is okay of course but yes, it was awfully quick.  I did think he was getting attracted to the nanny but maybe also feeling a need to find a stepmother for the children in view of his situation.

I didn't get the feeling that either was attracted to the other, more like a man who's facing his own mortality trying to make sure his kids are taken care of. I'm glad they ended up not going for the cancer storyline with him, as I recall the last director was dying of cancer too before she went out in a blaze of glory and I'd rather not see a repeat of that. If they're going to kill Vance off they should at least be original about it. Besides, I like Vance whenever he actually shows up in an episode even more than I did Jenny.

The resolution to the crime wasn't that surprising, simply because I thought jealous-wife would be too bland a storyline for NCIS to use as a wind-up though maybe they have before.  Corruption made for a more interesting storyline.  I did  wonder also if Abby's park ranger friend would turn out to be a baddie though hopefully not (if he returns).

They have had a jealous wife conclusion before, but whenever they do they don't have the characters discussing the possibility the entire episode like they did here, it's always a last minute revelation that the first suspect that all law enforcement agencies would look at in a murder investigation actually did it.

Based on how the writers have handled things like this in the past, it depends on whether they're really trying to hook Abby up with someone or not. If so, the ranger will be fine guy, otherwise he'll either drop off the face of the earth after this episode or turn out to be a serial killer or something like that.

Edited by immortalfrieza

I know it's mean (good thing these are fictional characters, right?) but I had a hard time feeling too sorry for Vance when he was all sad about Jackie's passing... maybe next wife, don't invite known terrorists or whatever Eli was (I try to block that whole season and really his entire existence out of my memory) to your freakin' house.

I've lost the modicum of track I once had of what's considered acceptable as far as standards for whatever kind (primetime?) of TV that NCIS is considered, but that whole "You are very... naked!" bit with Tony and Delilah, while absolutely hilarious, I was just a little surprised that made it in.

I thought Tony's apology to Delilah was going to turn out being him talking into a dead receiver, and then him being caught on it. Glad we seem to have left that trope back in Season 10, may you rest in peace forever.

• Love 1
I've lost the modicum of track I once had of what's considered acceptable as far as standards for whatever kind (primetime?) of TV that NCIS is considered, but that whole "You are very... naked!" bit with Tony and Delilah, while absolutely hilarious, I was just a little surprised that made it in.

My only problem with this bit (aside from Tony being inappropriate) is that why the hell was Delilah calling Tim on video chat naked IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS WORK DAY? I know she's in Dubai and time zone differences what what, but unless Tim was planning on sneaking away for a long lunch or something... maybe it would be a good idea to wear a robe first? Of course, Tony shouldn't have answered Tim's phone at all, so this doesn't excuse him but it's not very well written.

If the "Vance potentially has cancer" plots results in the probable "Vance wants to start dating again" plot, I really hope they don't have him hook up with the nanny.  Let him find someone age appropriate and who doesn't work for him.

My only problem with this bit (aside from Tony being inappropriate) is that why the hell was Delilah calling Tim on video chat naked IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS WORK DAY? I know she's in Dubai and time zone differences what what, but unless Tim was planning on sneaking away for a long lunch or something... maybe it would be a good idea to wear a robe first? Of course, Tony shouldn't have answered Tim's phone at all, so this doesn't excuse him but it's not very well written.

OMG, this!!! I was just coming in here to say this exact thing.

Edited by wlk68

I didn't get an attraction vibe between Vance and the Nanny. I did get a mutual respect and friendship vibe from them. I appreciated actual, previously seen flash-backs over one-off off-screen memories that leave us wondering if we just missed an episode. 

Thank you catray. Delilah knows the time difference and keeps calling Tim at work, then tries to do a video chat naked? Give me a break- even she's smarter than this. Leave it to the writers to dumb down a character to provide some laughs.

• Love 1

I didn't get any vibes about Vance with the Nanny and certainly nothing about Vance being ready to move on. If anything he had to admit just how stuck he still is which is very understandable. I love the part with his daughter and that he fully let Ducky in. We know Gibbs and Vance friendship but it was nice to see it with someone else as well. I thought it was a good story for Vance cause he needed to be reminded that he is a single parent now, lots of things he has do now that are different than he is used to.

The case was really just background in this ep for me and so much depended on MW making Tony funny but not the butt of the joke. Cause in the end he instincts were right about the wife.And answering McGee phone with Delilah was very funny.

Edited by itsmeyousee
  • Love 1

What I did like about the Delilah/DiNozzo subplot (which I thought was kind of a stretch for all the reasons listed above) was that McGee found out that his hound dog coworker invaded his privacy and saw his girlfriend naked and his first response was that Delilah was going to kill Tony. No macho posturing, no threats of violence - he doesn't own Delilah, and she can take care of herself. And Tony. Who's good and scared, as it turns out.

• Love 6

I knew something would happen when Tony questioned Tim about his talks to Delilah. Was funny Tony answering the phone and "You are very naked" came out, lol. But he apologized to her and Tim was very nice.

Abby liking the Park Ranger Sergeant Burt Moore was cool. Her asking Bishop if he was hot, was cool. But she kind of cooled off near end it seemed. Jethro telling him that Abby is not dating is a nice fatherly message also.

COTW Lt. Cmd. Edward Wallace killed on way to see President. I really didn't suspect it was some major secret he was killed for. Funny Tony didn't suspect Trish Wallace the wife. I didn't suspect Courtney Reed the ex gf, or robber Nicholas Dunn. Bryce Tolson and Richard Colford were my suspects. Tolson was trying to fix a firewall breach, is what I got out of it. Tolson killed him. Seems he was after Courtney Reed also.

Vance's cancer scare, scared me. I had thought why kill off Jackie 2 years back and now go after Vance? Ducky and Gibbs did a nice job acting so concerned. Nice Leon is ok. I didn't like him at first but he has grown on me. Thought he had some skeletons, but I guess the episode where we saw flashbacks took care of all that. Daughter Kayla is growing up fast it seems. The flash back to Jackie was nice.