Type keyword(s) to search

How To Discuss The Cast In Other Roles

Re the thread title, it's easy: just talk about the lead and/supporting cast in their other acting parts. Exhibit A: Star Viola Davis, who's not only done TV before and has given Oscar-nominated performances in Doubt and The Help, she even managed to give Madea Goes To Jail-a Tyler Perry movie-a touch of class.

Exhibit B: Alfred Enoch, who's done stage plays and guest spots in his native England, plus he's been in most of the film versions of the Harry Potter books.

One of my favorite Viola Davis performances is in the Law & Order: Criminal Intent S1 episode, "Badge." Her character, Terry, was chilling, and even briefly threw super sleuth Goren off his game.

Liza Weil was Paris Gellar in Gilmore Girls.

I almost didn't recognize her with the different hair, but she was also Amanda Tanner on S1 of Scandal.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

Steven Weber from "It's All Her Fault" has not only starred in Wings, he's done numerous guest starring roles, including the Season Premiere of NCIS: New Orleans.

Law Student #5 (with the douche cravat at the dean's reception or whatever) is Bennett on Orange Is the New Black. No idea what his name is on HTGAWM.

His character's name is Asher.

It was bugging me where I'd seen Detective Lahey (cop who plays Annalise's lover), and then it hit me: Dude from last season's horrid, horrid Hostage. I'm sure he's from another show, because I recall posters talking about him over on TWoP at the time.

He's on Sons of Anarchy as August Marks, the crime boss and one of the many antagonists on The show. His presence on this show makes me wonder what's going to happen on Sons, even though it's the last season.

Edited by Febgirl

Law student #5 (with the douchey cravat at the dean's reception or whatever) is Bennett on Orange is the New Black.  No idea what his name is on HTGAWM.

Asher, and thank you for this.  I kept wondering where I knew him from (I watched only the first season of OITNB).  He's portraying a very different kind of character. 

• Love 1

Laurel looks like she could be Jared Leto's sister. 

But she's not. 

On-topic,  Elizabeth Perkins, from "Let's Get To Scooping," was in Big, which is currently showing on Cinemax this month and she was also Celia on Weeds, which is arguably her greatest role.  

ABC Family's been having a Harry Potter marathon this week. Half-Blood Prince is on now, and it's probably the movie where Dean Thomas plays any sort of significant role as the spoiler for Harry and Ginny (I can't remember if his part was much bigger in any of the books; he was always tertiary, though). Anyway, Alfred Enoch is still a cutie.

One of my favorite Viola Davis performances is in the Law & Order: Criminal Intent S1 episode, "Badge." Her character, Terry, was chilling, and even briefly threw super sleuth Goren off his game.

Oh, that was Viola? I looked up the episode on IMDB, and I remember this exchange between her character and Det. Goren:

Detective Robert Goren: Your girls. They go to Mary Hill. That's ten, fifteen thousand a year for each. How do you afford it?

Terry Randolph: If something's important enough, you find a way. We're very frugal.

Detective Robert Goren: [chuckles] Oh... oh... My partner's a, a miser. I'm frugal. And neither of us could afford a house, two kids in a private school...

Terry Randolph: You're not that frugal. You buy nice clothes. Pay full price; nothin' in your size is ever on sale. You buy good-quality accessories, like that leather case. You're not married, so you spend money on dates. You like good food. You have someone in to clean your apartment every week. You're smart, have lots of interests and hobbies, and you spend a fortune on them. I don't wonder that you don't have money for a house; I wonder how you make subway fare, the way you spend money.

She certainly read Goren! LOL Imagine if Viola had played Nicole Wallace instead!

Jason Gedrick played Gabriel Shaw in episode 4, "Smile, or Go to Jail". I remember he had starred on some short-lived show on Fox years ago (Class of 96).

Edited by discoprincess
  • Love 1

Just had to watch Doubt for a class...holy guacamole, what Viola was able to do with a character that only appears (well, has lines) in one scene. The acting in the movie is top notch all around, but she just puts it through the roof when she comes in at the end.

Charlie Weber (Frank) played Ben on "Buffy", the handsome young doctor whose body Glory took over.

I just can't get over it. He looks completely and totally different. He took off a lot of muscle. I don't think the lumbersexual look he's rocking works for him.

Maybe he was on 'roids, stopped, and that explains his radically different look?

Edited by methodwriter85

It was bugging me where I'd seen Detective Lahey (cop who plays Annalise's lover), and then it hit me: Dude from last season's horrid, horrid Hostage.  I'm sure he's from another show, because I recall posters talking about him over on TWoP at the time.

He also piloted the shuttle during the first few minutes of the Star Trek reboot in 2009. I know that's not a television role, but it's where I first saw him. 

Edited by C76

Viola Davis is playing Amanda Waller in Suicide Squad, the movie about a group of DC Comics super-villains who are hired as Government agents to go on dangerous undercover missions in exchange for reduced sentences.

You know, I'm still undecided on watching Gilmore Girls - A Year in the Life because that show really hasn't aged very well, but if I do, I'm going to have a very hard time seeing Liza Weil as Paris and not Bonnie.

• Love 2

My love for Viola Davis is as close to 'stanning for any of the cast as I come. I have loved her for years. I saw her in Fences on Broadway and she wiped the floor with Denzel Washington. Her performance was amazing. I encourage everyone to check out the film adaption when it comes out. I am also interested in seeing any of the 'novelas that Karla Souza starred in. Apparently she was a pretty big deal in Mexico and still does occasional work there. 

• Love 2
On 10/4/2014 at 4:48 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

I've been hoping, wishing, sending silent mind melds towards HTGAWM's casting dept. about Vincent D'Onofrio possibly being available in a future guest starring appearance. The scenery chewing between him and Viola in this L&O: CI throwback was glorious. No matter how many times it's aired in syndication, I'll always rewatch it again like it's the first time.

Lauren Vélez (President Soraya Hargrove) often gets referred to as "LaGuerta" for her prior work on Dexter, but she'll always be Det. Nina Moreno from New York Undercover to me. Aja Naomi King (Michaela) co-starred as Cassandra Kopelson in CW's short-lived Emily Owens, M.D.

• Love 3

You know, I'm still undecided on watching Gilmore Girls - A Year in the Life because that show really hasn't aged very well, but if I do, I'm going to have a very hard time seeing Liza Weil as Paris and not Bonnie.

(No specific spoilers for GG-AYINTL below, but a vague description of a few things LW's Paris does removed from spoilery context.)

I saw an interview with Liza Weil where she discussed being more comfortable with a darker character like Bonnie and was unsure about getting back into Paris' lighter universe. I watched and I thought she was terrific. I never saw a hint of Bonnie at all, although I did expect that I would. She owned every scene she was in, and Paris having a mental break and throwing everyone out of the room, or removing an underling who displeased her, was absolutely nothing like Bonnie having a mental break and throwing everyone out of the room or removing an underling who displeased her.

Agreed that Gilmore Girls did not age well, and A Year in the Life was certainly spotty in quality. But it was a wise choice that in the initial opening for A Year in the Life, when they played overvoices from various characters over the run of the original series, the one they used for Paris was I've had sex but I didn't get into Harvard. Brilliant (and again, not a very Bonnie thing to say). I love Liza Weil.

• Love 3

‘A Girl From Mogadishu’: Aja Naomi King Leads Female Empowerment Story – AFM

How To Get Away With Murder‘s Aja Naomi King. The female empowerment film is a true story based on the testimony of Ifrah Ahmed, who — having escaped war-torn Somalia — emerged as one of the world’s foremost international activists against gender based violence. Mary McGuckian (The Price Of Desire) is directing and wrote the script. Filming is underway in Belgium before moving to Ireland and Morocco. 

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 3