Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, stealinghome said:
  Hide contents

Mr. Mxy just became my SPIRIT ANIMAL. "Tall Dark and Blandsome"? PREACH.

Mon-El acting like a jealous frat boy asshat? I am stunned...stunned.

Well, you would be, too, if you'd just gotten cockblocked by someone neither you nor Kara's ever heard of before!

Oh, and on a purely shallow note:  Chris Wood in his undies?  Yes, please!

• Love 1

Supergirl EP Talks True Four-Way DCTV Crossover, Nixes Doppelgänger Cameos

Supergirl won’t just be flying over to the Arrow-verse during The CW’s next mega DCTV crossover.

Executive producer Andrew Kreisberg reveals that there are plans in place for the ex-CBS series to play an integral role in next season’s superhero event.

"We’re hoping to do a true four-way crossover,” Kreisberg told reporters during a recent Supergirl screening. 

• Love 3

I'm not even sure how he caused that crash, he landed in front of the cars and they went flying like a large air-to-ground missile hit. If he's letting out that much energy in a shock wave from hitting the ground then the ground should look like, uh, a large air-to-ground missile hit.

• Love 1

I'm not even sure how he caused that crash

The same way Supergirl's heat vision caused the pavement to explode.  Hopefully they remember that the show's title is Supergirl - they need to show more of Kara being the hero and less of her getting sucked into some romantic drivel.

• Love 3

It's just the (composite) shot of Kara they decided to use isn't so flattering --

Anyway, a couple of DCTV stars were in L.A. for the Oscars' parties:

I'm hoping J'onn and Iris get a scene in the musical!

• Love 4

EP preview of tonight's episode:

Jeremiah’s return “definitely brings up a lot of questions, that’s for sure,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg told reporters at a recent screening. “Alex so wholeheartedly wants to believe that he’s absolutely right and that everybody should just jump in and trust him, no questions asked, just from the standpoint of being a daughter and not having seen him in so long.”

Kara, on the other hand, is a little more skeptical of her father’s activities, which “creates some friction and tension, especially between Kara and Alex just trying to navigate the road of figuring out what to do now.”

• Love 1

Interview with Chyler:

We’ve seen just little bits of CADMUS so far. Do we see more of them in this episode?

Oh, you see it.

How nasty are they?

They’re pretty nasty! Alex is just hellbent on making Lillian Luthor pay because of what she’s done to Jeremiah. She’s determined to really do some damage. You get to see parts of CADMUS. You see that world.

This season, Supergirl really seems to be addressing some social issues through the guise of clever storytelling. How do you feel about that and how has it been for you as an actor? Your character is pretty much in the center of all of it.

I think that’s one thing that really sets our show apart, we do take on these social issues. It’s still in the comic book realm, but at the same time, it’s very relevant to what’s happening in the world today. There’s an episode coming up called “Exodus” and it’s really addressing the issue of immigration through the aliens on the show and how they’re not wanted on the planet. It’s very current.

Then there’s obviously the storyline with Alex and Maggie. The community and the people that we’re reaching and touching [with that storyline] is unbelievable. There’s just been such an overwhelmingly positive response towards that. I think to honestly portray that relationship in a comic book show, you’re crossing so many genres and uniting people that may not have had that commonality. But people are hearing about it and deciding to check out Supergirl to see what everyone’s talking about. I think that’s just such an incredible quality for us to have. You have the action and all of that, but then you have such depth with these characters. There’s so much heart on this show, and so much of that is driven by Kara and being as genuine and authentic as she is and what she strives for. We have something really unique, and I realize that.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What is it with this show stealing using show titles from Smallville? First it's "Homecoming," and now "Exodus?"
"

Well, to be fair, I think Smallville used every single word title that could possibly be imagined.

• Love 5
(edited)

Mine too. I saw it a while back online, and then when she instagrammed a picture of herself at the women's march against Trump, I thought really? It's good cause, but maybe take a good look at the dude you're choosing to be involved with.

Edited by kalamac
Clarity
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 2/27/2017 at 3:01 PM, The Crazed Spruce said:

Kevin Smith's latest picture from the set. A sign of things to come?

It could indeed be a sign of Mon-El's exit from the show, since he's eventually supposed to end up in the 30th Century as a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes.  Perhaps a spin-off is in the works?

Edited by legaleagle53

I've wondered if they might move him to Legends of Tomorrow and make that show more Legion-y, as the concept seems somewhat similar. I read somewhere that Winn's new girlfriend may also have a Legion connection, and if so, it seems that something is definitely in the works....

(edited)
11 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I've wondered if they might move him to Legends of Tomorrow and make that show more Legion-y, as the concept seems somewhat similar. I read somewhere that Winn's new girlfriend may also have a Legion connection, and if so, it seems that something is definitely in the works....

The Legion of Super-Heroes and the Legends have nothing in common in terms of their core concepts.  The Legends make their home outside the timestream and have time-travel and fixing the timeline as their day jobs.  The intergalactic members of the Legion of Super-Heroes are firmly based on 30th/31st-Century Earth and rarely travel to other eras, even though they have the technology to do so.  Their main job is to keep law and order on Earth and throughout the galaxy of their era.  Legion of Super-Heroes

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

EW article on the musical crossover with The Flash - *spoilers*

... but it’s heaven to Benoist. Noting she was born in the wrong era, the actress takes delight in the vintage ambience while sitting on a ’40s-era nightclub set. “Not that I don’t love the [Supergirl] suit, but it just feels good playing the same character in a completely different setting,” she says. “I’m eating this up.”

Plus a new promo photo.

• Love 1

I am so looking forward to this musical episode. They look fantastic in their outfits, and Barry & Kara are always so cute together.

Perhaps they're waiting to release the photos until after The Flash airs later today.

• Love 1

Inspired by some discussion in the Spoilers Thread regarding Mon-El's role in the series, here's a few notable commentaries I've found:

Mon-El is Supergirl’s Kryptonite ("Not Kara Danvers—the show.") - The Fandomentals (March 14th)

This article is a long read (over 7000 words).

The Supergirl writers can potentially be our heroes in the end, taking this opportunity to consciously tear down the idea that fixer-uppers are entitled to our time and efforts.

However to do that, the writers need to realize there’s a problem. They need to see that on a show that was supposed to be about a woman becoming the hero while struggling with her sense of identity and place in the world, a man is now subbed into that role. A man with no basis in the comics, a man that the audience never asked for, and a man that is not nearly as “reformed” as they currently seem to think he is.

Mon-El is not a hero—he’s Supergirl‘s kryptonite. And the writers need to do something before he irreparably harms the show.

Supergirl Has a Mon-El Problem - io9 (February 28th)

Chris Wood infuses secret prince Mon-El with tremendous charm, and plays the transformation from space-bro to woke dude with entertaining gusto. And he’s an enormous problem.

Crying Mary Sue has become a great way to identify yourself as sexist. The idea that only women write super perfect badass characters that everyone loves is obvious bullshit if you’ve ever seen a story starring Batman, Wolverine, or Moffat’s Sherlock Holmes.

But before the term was bastardized to mean any highly capable female character, a Mary Sue often referred to characters inelegantly inserted into existing narratives and feel as though they were written by a very young writer—like ones who usually indulge in penning fanfiction.

And Mon-El is starting to feel that way. To date the character has...

Supergirl Season 2 Has a Love Interest Problem - Den of Geek (February 23rd)

Supergirl's main problem here is that Kara is such a beloved character, with Melissa Benoist bringing so much warmth and gumption to the role. She’s adored by her audience in a way characters like Oliver Queen likely never will be, and so we’re all very protective of her. That’s mostly a good problem to have, but not when the writers are trying to craft a guy that can match her.

These things are hard to get right, and I certainly wouldn’t say anything against Chris Wood’s performance as Mon-El. The trouble is that, unlike with James, the show is doubling down on a pairing that doesn’t make much sense to a large portion of the audience and is overshadowing other, potentially better, stories.

Supergirl's Kara and Mon-El: TVLine Debates, 'How Super Is This Couple?' - TVLine (January 24th)

Coming off of Monday’s midseason premiere, in which Mon-El revealed his wish to become a hero like his Kryptonian BFF, TVLine’s Matt Webb Mitovich, Andy Swift and Vlada Gelman debated the pairing’s pros and cons.

A primarily pro/positive take.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Just Here said:

Inspired by some discussion in the Spoilers Thread regarding Mon-El's role in the series, here's a few notable commentaries I've found:

Mon-El is Supergirl’s Kryptonite ("Not Kara Danvers—the show.") - The Fandomentals (March 14th)

This article is a long read (over 7000 words).

It's also wrong in stating that Mon-El "has no basis in the comics."  He was first introduced in the pages of Superboy some 60 years ago before becoming a regular in The Legion of Super-Heroes.  The writer needs to do a little more research, as I just told her in my comment to that long-winded, slightly misandrist article.

• Love 2

Actually, to be fair and accurate, those writers did acknowledge that Mon-El is a long-running comics character, but they said that the show's characterization of Mon-El has no basis in the comics canon. I don't know the comics nearly well enough to know whether that's true, but they're not disputing that Mon-El is a comics character, they're disputing that the show's characterization of him is true to the comics.

This paragraph perfectly encapsulates my problem with Mon-El, especially the bolded:

Not to mention, Mon-El isn’t the main character here! We could keep going on about the fallacy of his hero’s arc and the horrid implications inherent, but at the end of the day, he is supposed to be a supporting character. So what the hell does his presence in Supergirl do for Kara? If this is about seeing her desire to mentor someone play out, why was the romantic component shoehorned in, and why aren’t we privy to how Kara feels about both him and her new role? Why couldn’t Kara have had this arc with James, given how he is willingly putting himself in danger, just like she wants Mon-El to do? Most importantly of all, why is Kara relegated to playing the babysitter of someone else’s mono-myth on her own damned show? 

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Trini said:

Why haven't the photos for next week's episode been released yet??

I was going to say, the photos for the musical on The Flash are right here, until I realized you meant the actual Supergirl episode :)  To that I can only say, "damned if I know."

TVLine preview of the musical - *spoilers*

Jordan similarly has (as he put it) a “Wizard of Oz-like” counterpart, playing the musical director for a 1940s-era club. “He’s very bossy,” he reported with a laugh, citing the un-Winn-like qualities. “I also gave him a superfun Jimmy Stewart-meets-turn-of-the-century New Yorker accent.”

• Love 1

Another preview article about the musical crossover, with quotes from Melissa and Chris Wood:

"[Melissa and I have] found this nice pocket for the characters to live in," Wood added. "It was just so easy to play and she's just so generous as an actress that she just keeps it rolling. She makes it easy."

When we asked Benoist if she personally is a fan of Kara and Mon-El as a couple, the actress was sweetly coy with her response. "I'm a fan of Kara being happy," she beamed.

• Love 1

Melissa Benoist musical promo:

Melissa Benoist interview about the musical crossover:

Does it feel like doing an episode of Glee again?

Yeah, especially with Darren [Criss] here, and we have Zach Woodlee, who was the choreographer on Glee, so it does feel like this little reunion. When you’re doing a musical number, there is a certain feeling I remember having on Glee, when I worked on the show. That immediately came back.

• Love 1