Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I was always taught that it was cathedrals that face east, i.e., the altar end is to the east, because that's where Jerusalem is. But even this varies--St. Patrick's and the Cathedral of St. John the Divine both face south-east.

They face east in the NYC street grid, but I guess that's not true east. 

• Like 1

I'm a fan of Kaitlin Olson, so I tuned in.  (Loved her in The Mick, and in Hacks.)  I wasn't overly wowed, but I was entertained, so they did their job.

As someone said above, she was giving major Erin Brokovich vibes as far as outfits and attitude.  A bit too much, in my opinion.  They could have toned down the 80's era hooker outfits.  I don't think they add anything to the character, and in fact, don't seem to mesh with the rest of her personality.  If she's so harried with 3 kids, not sleeping, no car, how is it that her hair is perfectly blown out/flat ironed, nails are impeccable, makeup is perfect, etc.?  Can't anyone just thrown on jeans and a t-shirt anymore?  I feel like they just have to make her scream "I am not a cop!" as loud as possible. 

Other silly point...  no cleaning service would provide such short dresses for it's cleaning staff.  No cleaning company today would provide dresses.  The company that cleans our offices have no uniform. The most I've seen in the last decade is a company logo t-shirt or polo with the cleaning company's name on it.

And I agree that someone who watches so many documentaries because they can't sleep would have known about basic police search rules/laws.  Fruit of the forbidden tree, or whatever.  They could have found another way for her to get the same info.

I was hoping she'd negotiate for a new car from the forfeiture lot.  I like that she negotiated for child care.

I like the twist of the missing husband.  I'm guessing he's in some form of witness protection.  I know, they let you bring your family, but I'm handwaiving that.  There's going to be some mob/cartel connection, or something like that.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

Other silly point...  no cleaning service would provide such short dresses for it's cleaning staff.  No cleaning company today would provide dresses.  The company that cleans our offices have no uniform. The most I've seen in the last decade is a company logo t-shirt or polo with the cleaning company's name on it.

I thought of that, too. I figured she seems like the type who would hem her skirt to suit her length preferences. (A skirt seems like a less-than-practical option for the job but she could just prefer it to pants...if only to show off her patterned stockings. I was amused by her old-school velcro high tops. They were so cool when I was in middle school...)

The cleaning people where I work have company-logo polo shirts but that seems to be the extent of their uniform. Maybe black pants, but not a specific type (one wears regular Dockers-type pants but another usually wears leggings). 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chaifan said:

I was hoping she'd negotiate for a new car from the forfeiture lot.  I like that she negotiated for child care.

This works for me because it seems like she has decent public transportation that she can work with. I can say for myself that if I had any sort of public transportation where I live, I wouldn’t bother with a car. But we don’t even have buses, it’s awful.

• Like 5
19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It was driving me nuts trying to remember where I've seen the male detective (Daniel Sunjata), and then I realized he was once on an episode of Sex and the City. He played a sailor.  

He also played Paul Briggs in Graceland, recently he was in Manifest, and back a few years he played Reggie Jackson in The Bronx is Burning.

ETA: The show reminded me a bit of Unforgettable with Poppy Montgomery.

Edited by preeya
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, DMK said:

This works for me because it seems like she has decent public transportation that she can work with. I can say for myself that if I had any sort of public transportation where I live, I wouldn’t bother with a car. But we don’t even have buses, it’s awful.

But for this job she will need to go to crime scenes, at all times of day/night.  She can't hitch a ride with the other officers all the time.  I think it would be funny if the department gave her one "on loan" that was confiscated in some drug deal or something.  (Yes, I know, they can't really do that, but hey, TV...)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

But for this job she will need to go to crime scenes, at all times of day/night.  She can't hitch a ride with the other officers all the time.

I actually don’t see why not. Presumably, the police station is relatively close to her house, it can’t be that much of a hardship for them to swing by and pick her up.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DMK said:

I actually don’t see why not. Presumably, the police station is relatively close to her house, it can’t be that much of a hardship for them to swing by and pick her up.

Plus, this would create organic scenes for expository dialog.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, preeya said:

He also played Paul Briggs in Graceland, recently he was in Manifest, and back a few years he played Reggie Jackson in The Bronx is Burning.

The last thing I saw him on was The Devil Wears Prada.  I'm not familiar with the shows you mentioned.  🙂  I'm fairly new to the streaming world and it's very overwhelming to me, so I just stick with a few shows. 

• Like 3
On 9/18/2024 at 2:57 PM, anniebird said:

I was confused by the "all churches face East" thing. In my town, all the churches, no matter the denomination, face North or South because the major streets all run East/West. Did I miss something in her explanation?

On 9/18/2024 at 6:30 AM, ams1001 said:

I just assumed that she knew exactly what she had to spend and didn't have a lot of room for extras that day. Obviously she and her daughter both use makeup so she must make room in the budget for buying it on occasion.

OMG, this is adorable!

I just took it as because mommy said so moment. She is quirky but still has to instill some discipline.

On 9/18/2024 at 6:03 PM, callie lee 29 said:

The church thing is not correct. The one I grew up in faces north as do quite a few in my town. It kind of seemed like they were maybe amending that the East thing was more Catholic so.... Who knows.

I messed up the multi quote order. But they did go further with the "all churches" they did go further to at least the older churches with the classical architecture style so that the sun will shine through the stained glass windows in the morning and highlight the priest. The house internet detective even pulling up the wiki on the subject as our consultant was talking.

On 9/19/2024 at 7:21 AM, AnimeMania said:

How likely is it that Morgan would be completely alone working at night in a busy metropolitan police station. I would have guessed that the majority of crimes happen at night and the place would be very busy.

I can only think of the Baltimore shows, Homicide: Life on the Street and The Wire. "Green" meaning overtime on breaking cases make "red", unsolved cases turn "black." In this case a single section was not working overtime on the case so the special section office was shutdown. If anything happens during the night the local regular homicide detectives like Bosch in his Hollywood Division office would handle the case before a decision was made to approve the overtime to call in the Robbery Homicide Division special Major Crimes section to take over.

13 hours ago, DMK said:

Well if it supposed to be "real LA" working for Major Crimes of Robbery Homicide Division she would be out of the police headquarters building downtown. Buses and trains will get you close for a single mother on a cleaning crew. Of course she would be a risk taker to be that close to skid row walking and waiting on public transit at zero dark thirty. In any case there would be a police station relatively near her home to play Uber, but probably not the downtown HQ using their own officers.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Raja said:

Of course she would be a risk taker to be that close to skid row walking and waiting on public transit at zero dark thirty. 

— which reminds me of another deal breaker of mine for show watching:
Having the crime fighters be the objects of depraved criminals stalking.
There's too many other, more satisfying (to me) shows to watch.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

— which reminds me of another deal breaker of mine for show watching:
Having the crime fighters be the objects of depraved criminals stalking.
There's too many other, more satisfying (to me) shows to watch.

I'll just wait to see with what seems to be the unneeded find out what happened to her daughter's father overlay on the case of the week stories.

20 hours ago, DMK said:

She has a car. It needs a new carburetor. Now that she's making a decent salary she should be able to afford one.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

She has a car. It needs a new carburetor. Now that she's making a decent salary she should be able to afford one.

I'm just glad they didn't make her the "genius" type who can do everything, watch a youtube video for 5 minutes and go and replace your own carburetor. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Like the teen's father the not driving bit seems to be the sort of quirky that survives pilot episodes 

2 hours ago, chaifan said:

I'm just glad they didn't make her the "genius" type who can do everything, watch a youtube video for 5 minutes and go and replace your own carburetor. 

A carburetor is actually not hard to replace, she could probably do it. But a various array of tools would be needed and likely doesn’t have that.

• Like 1