Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 41 (2024-2025)

• Start Topic

I ran the Maps category which was nice.

And yelled at my screen "Data!!!". How did they not get this?

I also felt like they should have gave her the math one. She was mid-number when she was cut off. Though I suppose she won anyway.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Marcus Mumford said that most people don't remember the theme because immediately after the opening "Yeah" the Skip Intro button pops up on the screen so no one listens to the rest of the song!

Not me! If I like the theme song, I always stay and listen. And I like the Ted Lasso theme.

Movies were kind to me this week, giving me two FJs. I also ran the Movie Title Adjectives category today. Regarding Fantasia, I'm glad so many of you enjoyed it, because I'm sure it's wonderful if you're in the right state of mind. I had the misfortune of going to the theater when I was about 10, expecting to see a fun Disney cartoon, and being incredibly bored. I was alone at the time (because that was allowed in those days), the theater was literally empty except for me, and I ran up and down the aisles to amuse myself. So sadly not a fan because I've never seen it since, but hey, I got a FJ out of it.

Nobody's mentioned Jen, but I really like her. I'm not sure why, other than she seems really down to earth and friendly, but I hope she continues.

As for Hot Priest... I, too, was a little put off by the insistence of "Father" in his title. I'm sure Ken was just honoring his wishes. When I go on the show, I think I will call myself Mother Helens despite being neither a nun nor a person with actual children, and we'll see if Ken will oblige. :) 

• Like 6
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I am gobsmacked that I got FJ!  It was a total guess, based solely on knowing the Marianas Trench is in the Pacific.

Ditto.  Plus Mariana sounds like it might be a Spanish queen's name.

• Like 2

Heh, my response to FJ: “Hmm the only exploration that comes to mind is maybe something with the Titanic? Is that in the Mariana Trench? What island chain would that be? I don’t know, can’t think of it.” 😆

• LOL 7
17 hours ago, blueray said:

I ran the Maps category which was nice.

I also felt like they should have gave her the math one. She was mid-number when she was cut off. Though I suppose she won anyway.

I was with you on Data. I got FJ due to the name being a likely tie to anyone Spanish.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 9/20/2024 at 6:00 PM, blueray said:

I didn't get that one, either, as I've never seen the show and cultural osmosis never deposited that info into my brain (unlike Sabrina the Teenage Witch, which I've also never seen, but had picked up that she had a black cat named Salem). 

I watched with friends - one of whom also knew Data and yelled at the contestants - so I didn't keep track, but I know I was on fire in the first round and did pretty well in DJ.  None of us got FJ, although two of us thought Mariana and talked ourselves out of it - I thought of it based on Pacific island chain, but had never heard of a queen by that name, and the other knew there was a queen, and a Mariana Trench, but didn't think there was a Mariana island chain.  None of us knew what the hell the significance of the years of exploration was.

Unanimous, as the game began: At last we don't have to hear "Father Steve" another night.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Trey said:

Ditto.  Plus Mariana sounds like it might be a Spanish queen's name.

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

but had never heard of a queen by that name

"Mariana or Maria Anna of Austria,[a] (24 December 1634 – 16 May 1696), was Queen of Spain from 1649 until the death of her husband Philip IV of Spain in 1665. Appointed regent for their infant son Charles II, she remained an influential figure until her death in 1696." [wikipedia]

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 5
On 9/20/2024 at 4:44 PM, Browncoat said:

But would he if the contestant wrote "Admiral Bob" on the podium?

I'd call him Admiral Bob because clearly that's what he'd have wanted to be called.  The contestant chooses.

So somehow I managed to come up with an extra 900 Dalmatians because I answer "1452". 😵

On 9/20/2024 at 7:32 PM, Katy M said:

I went generic and said the Reya Islands.  I was more leaning towards Juana than Isabella, but Spanish queens are not my forte.

I said Marianas but no in time to have written it down before the music ended.

• Like 6
On 9/20/2024 at 9:00 PM, blueray said:

I ran that category and was completely gobsmacked that they didn't get Data or Santa's Little Helper.

On 9/20/2024 at 9:00 PM, blueray said:

I also felt like they should have gave her the math one. She was mid-number when she was cut off.

I don't.  You have to finish your answer before time runs out.

On 9/21/2024 at 2:51 PM, Bastet said:

None of us got FJ, although two of us thought Mariana and talked ourselves out of it - I thought if it based on Pacific island chain, but had never heard of a queen by that name, and the other knew there was a queen, and a Mariana Trench, but didn't think there were Mariana island chain. 

I knew of the Marianas Islands because that's where Tinian is; the plane which dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima took off from there, a fact my father apparently permanently implanted in my brain.  Still didn't get the answer in time, though.

I have no real opinion on Jen.  She's okay but not someone of whom I'm likely to become a big fan.

I'm going to be watching football tonight, so just checked the archive.

I'm really surprised no one guessed Rolex.

Dave Chappelle instead of Eddie Murphy, ouch.

I ran Key or Peele (love those guys), "ette", and magazines, and got all but dwarves in 4.  I missed two each in strings (pictures wouldn't have helped for balalaika or bouzouki; nothing would have helped for those!) and whodunit, so not my best first round, but still a good one.

I did well in DJ, too; I missed three in science (disappointing, as I usually do well), but I ran Cabinets and Oscars/Tonys and got all but fabulist in words and all but Bacon in buying stuff.  I missed two in capitals.

No guess for FJ, though, as "some writer" doesn't count.

• Like 3

I'm gonna skip tonight's show. I'm starting feel pretty punk. I got 3 vaccines today - Covid, TDAP, and RSV.  The first two were easy-peasy, but the 3rd one I felt deep in the muscle. And now it's sore. I'm going to bed. I've already checked TheJeopardyFan for tonight's FJ and I had NO freakin' idea.

G'night. See you tomorrow.

• Hugs 13

September 23:

60% / 50% / 54%

Ugh.

Ran "Ette" Tu, missed one in 4 Times the Fun, two in Stringing You Along, and three in Key or Peele, Whodunnit?, and Magazines' First Covers. In DJ I missed one in 8-Letter Words, two in Oscar Meet Tony, and three in Served in 2 Presidents' Cabinets, Physical Science, Time to Buy Stuff, and Former Capitals.

No FJ. Didn't learn that one in any of my college Lit classes...

TSes: (J had 7; DJ had 8) I got James Patterson, Mad TV, spectrum, Edinburgh, and Rolex.

• Like 1

I said Thoreau.

i got the missed clues of Edinburgh, Michael Connelly (sp?), James Patterson, MadTV, ignominy and Rolex.

I got the entire category of ette right.

I keep doing fairly well in the first round and blowing it in the second and then missing final.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

(pictures wouldn't have helped for balalaika or bouzouki; nothing would have helped for those!)

They were just audio clues, no pictures. I almost got to balalaika but my brain got stuck on balaclava ("no, that's a hat"). Never heard of a bouzouki. If I had to guess I'd probably have said it was some obscure dog breed.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm gonna skip tonight's show. I'm starting feel pretty punk. I got 3 vaccines today - Covid, TDAP, and RSV.  The first two were easy-peasy, but the 3rd one I felt deep in the muscle. And now it's sore. I'm going to bed. I've already checked TheJeopardyFan for tonight's FJ and I had NO freakin' idea.

G'night. See you tomorrow.

That RSV had me down for at least a few days.

My only TS was Spectrum.

The new champ was like a steamroller.
No energy wasted.
Too bad about losing so much in FJ.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Too bad about losing so much in FJ.

Meh, seems like it was worth the risk if he felt confident enough with the category. 

I take comfort that my wrong guess was also a contestant’s wrong guess. 

• Like 1
Just now, possibilities said:

I thought of Rolex, but dismissed it

Rolex was the only expensive watch brand that came to mind, and I figured something like a Timex wasn't selling for that much. I had no idea what the contestant even said.

15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I always get my vaccines separately - based on a bad experience when I was a kid (military brat, we got shot up all the freaking time - I'm old, so vaccines weren't like the ones today).  It's a bit of a drag time and schedule wise. But it's one of my quirks.

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

That RSV had me down for at least a few days.

I've been debating about getting the RSV. I'm in the age category, but don't really meet the other criteria.

I chose Lincoln, because of the date and "Captain, my Captain." Oh well.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

've been debating about getting the RSV. I'm in the age category, but don't really meet the other criteria.

I had zero problems with my RSV vaccine. I’d say get it if you can, because the possible ramifications of the virus are much worse than any vaccine side effects you might have. We need you to stay healthy. Who else would run our FJ contest? 😁

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

September 24:

63% / 57% / 61%

In J! I missed one each in Finance and Brit Lit, two in History, Herbs & Spices, and Animated Characters, and three in 3-Letter Words.

In DJ I ran Ancient Science, missed two in This & That and People in Poems, and three in Helsinki, "All", and Walt Wit Man.

FJ was an instaget.

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 2 + 1 DD) I got licorice and FDR.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, Katy M said:

i said Diane Sawyer.  

If she hadn't passed away recently I probably wouldn't have known it was Feinstein. I saw some stories about her life after she passed; I think one of the podcasts I listen to told the story of the assassination.

• Like 3

I'm going to thank the movie, "Milk" for my being able to respond correctly for FJ tonight.  I have no idea if the knowledge actually came from that movie or not, but wherever it came from, I did get FJ.

I only managed three TS, though: oregano, imago, and Turing.  Turing also because of the movie.

• Like 4

I knew who it was for FJ but got hung up on the spelling. Finestein? Feinstine? Feinstein? Yeah, maybe that’s right. Fortunately they’d all be pronounced the same so I guess I’m good. 

And I meant to add - when Ken mentioned the champ’s wife’s name, and that she was a best selling author, I thought hmm, sounds familiar…?  Then when he referenced her best known work, I thought, oh, no wonder he’s willing to make the big bets. They’ve got Lessons in Chemistry money!

Edited by SoMuchTV
Adding another thought
  • Like 4
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 1

Animation is not my jam, but I was hoping not to be too terrible in that category.  Alas, I only knew Velma.  I missed three in Brit Lit, so this was a poor first round for me.  I ran herbs & spices and history, and got all but Ethiopia in finance and all but moa in words.

I wasn't exactly on fire in DJ, either, but not terrible; I ran science and "all" and got all but imago in This & That.  I missed three in Helsinki, and two each in the rest.

FJ was an instaget, though, so I ended on a high note.

• Like 3
On 9/23/2024 at 7:29 PM, ams1001 said:

No FJ. Didn't learn that one in any of my college Lit classes...

Me neither.  Although to be fair, most of my college Lit classes were British Lit.  I got as far as "it wasn't Lincoln since he died in 1865" but didn't even twig that it was probably a writer.

I did get last night's FJ mainly because it was mentioned in some of the coverage after Feinstein died last year.

I was a little surprised that oregano was a TS but maybe none of them had ever seen fresh oregano before.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

i said Diane Sawyer. 

I went in the same direction as you with a guess of Barbara Walters.  I didn't know if it would be a politician or a news reporter who would have made the announcement.  I thought it was more likely to be a politician but I am not too familiar with San Francisco politics so I had nothing there so went with Barbara.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I totally sucked tonight. I'm getting stupid in my old age.

It was a bad night for me too - I said pretty much the same thing. Hang in there.

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

If she hadn't passed away recently I probably wouldn't have known it was Feinstein. I saw some stories about her life after she passed; I think one of the podcasts I listen to told the story of the assassination.

I was in the Bay Area during this terrible time (The Jonestown Massacre was just a few weeks before this, and most of the members were from the Bay Area) So I remembered Feinstein without any problems. In the aftermath I developed a grudge against her (too much background to relate) and never lost it.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

'm going to thank the movie, "Milk" for my being able to respond correctly for FJ tonight.  I have no idea if the knowledge actually came from that movie or not, but wherever it came from, I did get FJ.

Same here. Not sure why I knew it, but I knew it and that’s all that counts!

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I was a little surprised that oregano was a TS but maybe none of them had ever seen fresh oregano before.

Some varieties of thyme look very much like oregano. I grow both, and I said thyme. Oh, well.

• Like 6
18 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

And I meant to add - when Ken mentioned the champ’s wife’s name, and that she was a best selling author, I thought hmm, sounds familiar…?  Then when he referenced her best known work, I thought, oh, no wonder he’s willing to make the big bets. They’ve got Lessons in Chemistry money!

I thought the same thing.  The first time he won, but bet big on FJ and lost a lot of $$ on that bet, I thought to myself if I was his wife I would be asking him why on earth he made such a big bet.  He went from $30,000 down to $17,000.  

• Like 3

September 25:

83% / 60% / 72%

Had a great first round! Ran Animal Groups, Lit-Pourri, and 7 & 7, missed one in Cocktails and two in Before They Were Stars and Old-Fashioned. Not so great in DJ…ran At the Accent Aigu Café, missed one in Caves, two in American History, and three in Grammy Albums, Card Games, and Art Terms.

Did not get FJ.

TSes: (J had 3; DJ had 7 + 1 DD) I got All the Light We Cannot See and conch shells.

My mom has a fun 7&7 story...being at a bar with a friend, meeting some Navy guys who bought them too many 7&7s, basically crawling into the house because she was so drunk, and having to get up the next morning to babysit my cousin. She thinks it's funny now (~60 years later...); probably not so much at the time. But she still doesn't drink 7&7s. 

• Like 4

i got FJ right. Finally.

I got the missed clues of All the Light We Cannot See (after the wrong answer) and vanishing point. 

I got the entire categories of animal groups and accet aigu right and the entire category of American history wrong, which is considerably shameful because that's a category I usually do fairly well at.  I almost said TVA, but said FEMA instead, I thought 1790 was too obvious so went with 1810, and would have gotten Lee's Miserables if I had had 2 more seconds.

• Like 3

While I do appreciate our weather readers and their severe weather alerts (in this case, a tornado warning -- far away from me, but within their viewing area), I do wish they could have waited two minutes.  They broke in just before Ken revealed the FJ clue, and continued for about 10 minutes.  All that to say that I had to go to the archive for FJ.  Which I got, after a couple of seconds.  I do like that play.

I also got the TS of Samuel L. Jackson, conch shells, vanishing point, and 52nd Street.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of All the Light We Cannot See (after the wrong answer) and vanishing point. 

I got the entire categories of animal groups and accent aigu right and the entire category of American history wrong, which is considerably shameful because that's a category I usually do fairly well at. 

Same for all of these, with my particular American History shame focusing on not knowing the date of the first US Census since I was in charge of shelving the print copies for over 10 years.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

Another mediocre first round for me; I missed three each in lit and stars.  As a lush, I almost always run booze categories, but I joined the contestants in being stumped by daiquiris.  I did run the rest, at least.

That was utterly brilliant compared to my DJ performance, however.  I ran aigu, but blew art entirely, missed three each in history, cards, and Grammys, and two in caves.

But I did correctly guess FJ to end on a happy note.

• Like 1
On 9/24/2024 at 7:11 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Then when he referenced her best known work, I thought, oh, no wonder he’s willing to make the big bets. They’ve got Lessons in Chemistry money!

Not necessarily. Authors often don't make a lot of money until they reach the ranks of a Stephen King or John Grisham. Even with a bestselling book. (I only know the title because it became an HBO show, which also may not have netted her a lot of money if she wasn't well known beforehand.) I think David's just a bit of a gambler, which I respect on a game show-- too bad he's also kind of boring.

When Drew was introduced, I turned and said "I hate him already". Between the surfer dude hair and the hand gesture, I was sure he was a posturing bro-type. But sometimes first impressions are wrong.  Because he quickly won me over with his bright personality and sharp mind, and I was really rooting for him (even before he made me laugh with his obvious delight at getting the RuPaul clue). I'm very sorry he won't be back. And if by chance you're reading this, Drew, I'm sorry I called you Surfer Dude-Bro for the first five minutes!

I did run the Art category, including David's missed DD of vanishing point, and got FJ. ("Out out damned spot! It's the one with all the blood!")

• Like 4