Type keyword(s) to search

76th Emmy Awards (Sept. 2024)

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

The Batman theme made sense for Colin Farrell as Penguin premieres this week on HBO/Max.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I guess I haven't been paying much attention.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Jean Smart is just unbeatable. 🏆

I wasn't crazy about her on Designing Women, but her work on shows like 24 and Hacks won me over. 

• Like 2
(edited)

Oh, shit!  Hacks wins writing!  Maybe this isn't open and shut after-all.

Someone in a crowd is a huge fan of What We Do in the Shadows!

Dan trying to start a beef between his dad and Richard Schiff!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I wasn't crazy about her on Designing Women, but her work on shows like 24 and Hacks won me over. 

And Watchmen!

Just now, thuganomics85 said:

Upsets are so much more interesting! I'm so glad I was wrong about most categories being all wrapped up.

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Jean Smart is the best and I'm delighted that she won, but I'm very disappointed for Hannah Einbinder.

This was Hannah’s best season, no doubt. She finally rose to the challenge and went toe-to-toe with a legend.

Their chemistry reminds me a lot of Glenn Close-Rose Byrne in Damages. It took awhile for Rose to get her footing too against the godly Glenn, but when she finally did, it was glorious.

• Like 3

JMO, but I've been very disappointed in TDS since Jon Stewart's one-day-a-week return. I like it best when Desi Lydic hosts and when Ronny Chieng hosts. Stewart is a shell of what he used to be.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
12 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

As much as most people say The Bear’s best season is Season 3, well, so is Hacks’ Season 3 the best of its bunch. The writing stepped up bigly, especially as Hannah was slowly becoming Jean’s equal as it went towards its amazing season finale.

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

I consider that a Lifetime Achievement Award, because IMO she should have won an Emmy for every damn thing I've ever seen her in.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Drama writing goes to... Slow Horses?  Yeah, this last half has gotten interesting.

British Will Smith better not follow in American Will Smith's footsteps when it comes to awards....

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Like 2
  • Angry 1
  • LOL 4
4 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Did not see Lamorne Morris winning at all!  I wonder if there was some kind of vote splitting going on, because I don't think he was predicted to win.

He was so good in Fargo

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Sigh...  I love Seth.  I wish he would win once.  At least once. 

I think Seth asks the most interesting questions, and it's nice to hear after a celebrity's been on a lot of shows for a promotional tour. 

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Dirge said:

I think Seth asks the most interesting questions, and it's nice to hear after a celebrity's been on a lot of shows for a promotional tour. 

Plus a Closer Look is great.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, FoundTime said:

I consider that a Lifetime Achievement Award, because IMO she should have won an Emmy for every damn thing I've ever seen her in.

Well, Jean does have six Emmys!

1 minute ago, Dirge said:

I totally agree and his political satire  right now is better than all the other late night hosts.

• Like 6
(edited)

They keep teasing us to stay tuned for The West Wing and Happy Days reunions…you know that’s for the last 2 awards-Best Drama and Best Comedy

eta-I stand corrected!

Edited by chitowngirl
2 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I totally agree and his political satire  right now is better than all the other late night hosts.

This!  He's doing the best show in late night now, and has been for quite a few years.  

And, I saw his stand-up earlier this year.  He's fabulous.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

I haven't seen "Hacks", but I know her from the first Brady Bunch movie and her appearances on "Frasier", and she's hilarious in those. And of course, whenever I've caught a rerun of "Designing Women" I'll see her on there, too. 

But yeah, she seems really cool and I'm glad to hear it sounds like it's been a good night for her thus far. 

13 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Did not see Lamorne Morris winning at all!  I wonder if there was some kind of vote splitting going on, because I don't think he was predicted to win.

Aw, this makes me happy 'cause I loved his guest spot on an episode of "Ghosts" this past season. Yay for him :)!

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

I'm thrilled she won.  As much as I love Ayo, Hacks is actually a comedy. 

14 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

As much as most people say The Bear’s best season is Season 3, well, so is Hacks’ Season 3 the best of its bunch.

I don't think people say The Bear Season 3 is the best.  In fact, it has a lot of detractors. But even if it were, the episodes it's eligible for at this year's Emmys are from Season 2.  Season 3 will be eligible for next year. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

The Bear shakes off those past few loses and gets directing.

And it isn’t even for the best episode of Season 2. That would be Forks. Not just the best episode of The Bear, but one of the best episodes in TV ever.

2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't think people say The Bear Season 3 is the best.  In fact, it has a lot of detractors. But even if it were, the episodes it's eligible for at this year's Emmys are from Season 2.  Season 3 will be eligible for next year.

Yup, you’re right. Emmy’s got so delayed this is still Bear’s Season 2

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Henry Winkler is the best.

He seems to be a great guy. A few years ago he did a reality-ish show with William Shatner and Terry Bradshaw about travelling in Europe. It was terrific. And, of course, Barry.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, slowpoked said:

And it isn’t even for the best episode of Season 2. That would be Forks. Not just the best episode of The Bear, but one of the best episodes in TV ever

I actually was surprised that "Fishes" was the episode that was submitted for many of the nominations. "Forks" was the best episode of S2. (Of course "Fishes" just won for Directing.)

• Like 1
(edited)

Yup, we're officially in a world where Riverdale gets name-dropped at the Emmys.  Anything is possible!

And I'm now reminded that I need to finally rewatch Everwood.  Great show.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I actually was surprised that "Fishes" was the episode that was submitted for many of the nominations. "Forks" was the best episode of S2. (Of course "Fishes" just won for Directing.)

Probably because of how star-studded it was. Despite all the stars, that was one of the harder watches for me with all of the yelling, shouting and cursing. 

I don’t even like Cousin Ritchie, truly detested him in Season 1, but Forks was what made me finally *get* him.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

The camerapeople seem to be bending over backwards not to show that Martin Short is sitting next to Meryl Streep. You can see it in the long shots, but not anytime they get close.

I just saw them sitting together. Are they actually dating? Or are they sitting next to each other as cast members? Either way, I think it is good. 

(edited)

Yeah, I don't care if some think his shows were dumb fluff or silly, I can't help but love the man who brought us Dawson's Creek, Everwood, and the Arrowverse: shows that I had a blast with and will remember for years.

And, yes, I include Riverdale in that group as well.  It was batshit insane but talk about a ride!

ETA: Shogun finally gets its first trophy of the evening.  Surprised that I typed that.

Edited by thuganomics85
12 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Yeah, I don't care if some think his shows were dumb fluff or silly, I can't help but love the man who brought us Dawson's Creek, Everwood, and the Arrowverse: shows that I had a blast with and will remember for years.

He can’t be credited for Dawson’s Creek exactly, but he can be credited for Pacey and Joey, which may be even more important. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

not the worst in memoriam, but that song was way — way — too on the nose.

i get that the segment needs music — would much prefer an instrumental piece that doesn't call so much attention to itself. 

• Like 5

The Emmys actually listened to complaints about the in memoriam segment.  A discreet chamber orchestra just off stage, full screen pictures of those lost, a performer who wasn’t determined to make the moment all about himself.

Although I don’t know much about his music, Jelly Roll just performed at the Oregon State Penitentiary last week.  Seems like he is practicing what he preaches.

• Like 10
6 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

not the worst in memoriam, but that song was way — way — too on the nose.

i get that the segment needs music — would much prefer an instrumental piece that doesn't call so much attention to itself. 

I think it was one of the best In Memoriam segments. And the song was perfect, IMO.

• Like 3