Type keyword(s) to search

Athletics (Track & Field)

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

They said Thompson won at first, but I thought Lyles nipped him at the tape and I was right. What a race.

I took an instant dislike to Lyles and wanted the gorgeous Thompson to win. How agonisingly close!

• Like 2
12 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I loved the women’s high jump. So happy for every single Ukrainian athlete.

Our Aussie girl Nicola Olyslagers who got the silver is eccentric but lovable. She is a very devout pentecostal Christian and her pre-jump warm-ups look like she's in the middle of a church service at times. And when she's done with the jump she always, but always, goes and writes in a journal old school style. But very proud of her effort! 🥈

• Like 7

This is my first experience with Lyles. All I can say is the distance between cringe and showmanship is reached in about .004 seconds. Not a lot of margin for error. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 3
On 8/3/2024 at 3:29 PM, Bastet said:

If next-day coverage isn't even mentioning the official, perhaps there's no question they're allowed to help like that.  (The only sport in which I'm immersed is NFL football, where the refs do not warn anybody they're in the wrong spot, they just throw the flag if they're still there when the ball is snapped, so I was surprised by the lack of "Can she do that?" or "There's no rule against that" reaction, because to me it was such a departure, but that may just be my limited reference causing my response.)

I've heard linemen talk about how the NFL refs do sometimes warn players if they're risking a foul (twitchy running backs or weird line alignments) if they're still close to the set up.  But unlike this race, once the set up is set and the ref backs away, they're not going to do that.  I think the surprising part here is I think the race had already started when she was warned back. 

20 hours ago, Souris said:

Damn, that was CLOSE! How can they even TELL who won, it was so close?!?!

NBC called it wrong.  It took the officials reviewing the photo to determine who won because it was so close.  I thought Jamaica had won because it looked like his head/feet crossed first.  This was the first time I learned they actually look at the clavicle. 

I have mixed feelings on Lyles.  He does come off as a bit arrogant.  And I both loved and hated that he admitted he underestimated his competition during one of the heats.  That's kind of arrogant but also, a rare moment of honesty supremely confident people rarely share. 

But then, I absolutely loved this message he posted on Twitter after the race. 

I have Asthma, allergies, dyslexia, ADD, anxiety, and Depression.
But I will tell you that what you have does not define what you can become.
Why Not You!.

• Like 12

I remember Noah Lyles taking a dig at the NBA for calling their teams "world champions" after winning titles, which I thought was stupid and unnecessary.  First of all, I've only heard them called "NBA champions" and second, why would he even care? 

He just likes to run his mouth and if he has those conditions listed above, then perhaps he should concentrate on his sport and his well-being. 

He's a champion and an asshole - he's not the first to be both, and he won't be the last.  Some people love that, some don't.  Having any combination of his conditions doesn't give you a free pass to be a jerk.

• Like 5
15 hours ago, surfgirl said:

I'm with y'all, Lyle is just obnoxious and full of himself. He's not all that. 

I'm also fed up with the British guy calling the track races. He keeps mispronouncing Botawana's Tebogo as TeboGo, and it's TeboHo. He ought to know how to pronounce Olympic athletes names properly  FFS.

Diffy is Australian.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Hell yeah congrats to Swedish pole Vaulter Armand DuPlantis for not only defending gold but breaking the world record.  That jump was crazy.

Edited by kittykat
  • Like 15
18 hours ago, blackwing said:

Something about him turns me off... I think it is the arrogance.  When the results came up, he didn't exclaim in joy or anything.  He just raised his hands in victory and ripped off his name tag and kept saying "I told you, I told you".

And the interview... "I just thought, OMG, I'm incredible."

Besides being the Olympic gold medalist in the 100 (he broke the 20 year drought), he is also a THREE TIME World champion in the 100, 200, & 4x100 relays. I think he has a right to be arrogant!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, kittykat said:

Hell yeah congrats to Swedish pole Vaulter Armand DuPlantis for not only defending gold but breaking the world record.  That jump was crazy.

That was a lot of fun. I loved all his competitors rooting for him.  And the US silver medalist was trying to hype up the crowd.

Did DuPlantis look like  Jeremy Allen White to anyone else?

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 8/3/2024 at 7:21 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Can someone explain what the hell happened in the mixed relay on Friday?

All I see is about the world record the U.S. team set, but almost nothing about the handoff.  Just statements like this:

"I just thought I was locked in," Little said. "I had to realize I wasn't where I was supposed to be, re-locked in where I was supposed to be."

But what made her realize she wasn't where she was supposed to be, in time for her to run to where she was supposed to be, was some official(?), a lady on the track, in a big brimmed hat, who got Little's attention and pointed to where she was supposed to be standing.  None of the news reports mention that lady, and I can't believe that didn't give the team an advantage.

I guess it's allowed, because nobody's talking about it, but who was that lady in the hat?

Was this in a a 4 x 400 relay? 

AFAIK, where they stand after the first changeover is dependent on what position their team is when they're coming up to the changeover.  The runner getting the baton for the leading team should be closest to the inside, and presumably the officials are there to make sure the runners are in the right order.  (caveat, I didn't actually see any of the races)

4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Controversy in the women's 5k. Faith Kipyegon was DQed after jostling another competitor. But on replay, it looks like it's the other gal's fault. I hope they lodged a protest. 

On the olympics.com site she is listed as the silver medalist, so the decision must have been overturned.

• Like 4

So I watched the pole vault event on Peacock last night, streaming the replay of the live coverage. I couldn’t believe it took 3 1/2 hours, given that there were not that many competitors. Of course I didn’t realize that they took breaks when a track event was going on or a medal ceremony. It was one time I wish I was watching an edited summary.

• Like 2

I turn the TV on every morning between 10:00 am & 11:00 am (PDT) to watch track & field, & I will say it again, NBC SUCKS! I was watching the men's 400-meter semi's & the results of the 3rd semi was posted to the site a FULL FIVE MINUTES BEFORE THE RACE WAS EVEN SHOWN ON Peacock! LIVE my butt! 😏

I was watching the cycling team event & after the 3rd & 4th place race they changed to wrestling & didn't go back for the final race, WTF are they doing? 

All the talk was about the Kerr-Ingebrigtsen rivalry and Hocker spoils the party. Hard to believe going into Rio the U.S. hadn't won the 1500m since 1908 and now we've won it twice in the last three Olympic games.

And after watching the piece on Ingebrigtsen, I'd say it's good he fired his dad as coach.

• Like 10

Thrilled for Gabby Thomas!  And Cole Hocker!

I think the awards ceremony for the 2022 Figure Skating Team Event is supposed to be held tomorrow.  I hope all the American and Japanese skaters can be there, and that it will be shown in primetime.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Tippi said:

I think the awards ceremony for the 2022 Figure Skating Team Event is supposed to be held tomorrow.  I hope all the American and Japanese skaters can be there, and that it will be shown in primetime.

? I think you missed it, since that was two years ago.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Coraline Jones said:

? I think you missed it, since that was two years ago.

That was before the doping scandal came to light. Russia are no longer the gold medalists. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 1
(edited)

I posted about this in the General Discussion thread:

The medals for the 2022(!) Olympic Figure Skating team event will FINALLY be awarded  - US gold, Japan silver. Unfortunately (IMO) Russia will still get bronze instead of the more deserving Canada, but no Russian athletes will be at the ceremony.

The ceremony will be Wednesday, Aug. 7 at 11 a.m. ET on Peacock and USA Network

https://www.usfigureskating.org/news/article/2022-olympic-team-event-medal-ceremony

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2024/08/06/us-figure-skaters-olympics-gold-medals-eiffel-tower/74686261007/

I'll bet NBC will show it in the prime time show.

Edited by MaryMitch
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

That was before the doping scandal came to light. Russia are no longer the gold medalists. 

I thought they had mixed up the 'sports'. I didn't know about the medals finally being awarded. OOPS?

• Like 1

Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone is amazing!

Hurdles terrify me. I always get so tense watching. I keep expecting someone to catch their foot and slam face-first into the track.

Steeplechase is a rather baffling event to me. Like, how did it come about? Why did it come about ? "Hurdles ... but make it wet!"

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Tippi said:

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!  

That 1500 was bananas.  Even Kerr was all "wait what, who are you ". Awesome race.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Quincy Hall wins yet another nail-biter in the 400m. Suffice it to say this is a much better meet for the U.S. men than Tokyo.

Yeah, and dude got silver in the steeplechase. That's pretty much unheard of. 

• Like 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Yeah, and dude got silver in the steeplechase. That's pretty much unheard of. 

That was another stunner for me. I don't think I've ever seen a US runner get near the medals for the steeplechase. Kenneth Rooks' bold move was thrilling to watch.

Edited by wanderingstar
  • Like 6

Has there been any follow-up on the condition of the Steeplechase runner who fell across the track? That was scary to watch. I hope he's going to be OK.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, wanderingstar said:

That was another stunner for me. I don't think I've ever seen a US runner get near the medals for the steeplechase. Kenneth Rooks' bold move was thrilling to watch.

I saw him sneaking up in the final two laps and smiled and thought "another student of lay low then run like hell."

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

Question on Relays:

I just want to be sure about this. I know it works this way in swimming and want to be certain for T&F. If a sprinter runs in one of the heats, but not in the final and the team makes the podium, they still get a medal, right?

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Question on Relays:

I just want to be sure about this. I know it works this way in swimming and want to be certain for T&F. If a sprinter runs in one of the heats, but not in the final and the team makes the podium, they still get a medal, right?

Yep, the people who ran the prelims and got replaced for the final still get a medal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Yep, the people who ran the prelims and got replaced for the final still get a medal.

They just don't get to go the ceremony.

Mondo Duplantis is awesome, but he was born and raised in Louisiana.  He competes for Sweden because his Mom is Swedish and they gave his Dad a coaching spot.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

Amazing finish by Quincy Hall! I know nothing about the mechanics of track races, but even I could see he threw all technique out the window at the end and just freaking RAN with everything he had.

Tebogo had such a game face on when he came out, I could tell he meant business. 

Kind of looked like Lyles might be having an asthma attack after. 

ETA: Well, turns out Lyles has Covid but decided to compete anyway. Now I'm concerned about him with his asthma AND everyone else around him. They did say he's been wearing a mask the past couple days.

Edited by Souris
New info
  • Like 5
(edited)

Sand angel in the pit for Tara Davis-Woodhall! What a sweet, emotional moment with her husband after.

Way to go, Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone and Anna Cockrell!! Sydney is amazing and looks like she's strolling to WRs.

Edited by Souris
  • Like 10
  • Applause 3