Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

(edited)

Oooh, Andreoli just showed that floor who's boss.

And Italy officially medals!

Bring it home Simone 

Edited by kittykat
  • Like 3

Go Simone!

From the little attention I pay, even I know she got a metric ton of undeserved shit after what happened last time, so it's great to see her doing so well.

• Like 13
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Jordan made me cry on floor, she is so solid and having so much fun.

And the shots from her home gym (I think) filled with kids watching he were awesome.

• Like 12
  • Love 2
(edited)

I know it’s kind of silly to get all verklempt over people you don’t know but I just love this team so much and I’m so proud of them. Seeing Suni shine after not even knowing if she would be able to come back to gymnastics let alone the Olympics and of course all the crap Simone gets just has me all emotional. I don’t know who’s continuing and who isn’t but I will miss this group so much. I hope they know how proud they made us. 

And the diversity of the team, knowing there’s little girls out there wanting to do gymnastics because someone on this team looks like them just melts my heart. 

Edited by WhitneyWhit
  • Like 10
  • Applause 3
  • Love 9

At the end most of the other apparatus cams were just all the other teams watching Simone’s floor routine. Japan was particularly adorable. 

• Like 5
  • Love 3
Just now, Pandora said:

And the shots from her home gym (I think) filled with kids watching he were awesome.

That was so cute, they were all doing her routine along with her.

Aw. The American girls hugging the Italian team. And making their plans for social media tonight!

• Like 7
  • Love 1
(edited)

Jordan made me tear up, then Simone, then the Italians and GB…just stop I’m getting my hair done lol

Edited by Chaser
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1

I love this podium so much.  It's so refreshing not having the you-know-whos here. Yes I know the gymnasts were not the problem but I'm glad the IOC finally took a hard line on that particular country.

Sad for GB they were so close but it looked that the beam was not kind to them either.

Congrats US, Italy and Brazil!!!

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I'm so happy that the Tokyo four got to have their Olympics experience again the right way, with their families, full crowds, and all of the pomp and circumstance. And to walk away with gold just adds the cherry on top.

I'm thrilled for all of them. 

• Like 12
  • Love 4

I love Team GB but they aren't going anywhere--they've proven they here to stay. OTOH Italy and Brazil's medaling is historic. Very happy for them.

I'm so so so proud of Simone and the whole team. Just so proud of them. They really came through under enormous pressure.

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, WhitneyWhit said:

And the diversity of the team, knowing there’s little girls out there wanting to do gymnastics because someone on this team looks like them just melts my heart. 

Yes!  This really stood out to me, too -- Team USA actually looks like America.

• Like 15
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

I had to race to get ready for work right after the win was confirmed, but I am so, so, so, SOOOOOOOOOOO happy for all of the teams who medaled!!!  Historic wins for Italy and Brazil, and the USA is back on top!  I know the scores don't really show it, but our women really had to fight through some nervy routines.

CONGRATULATIONS to all fifteen medalists!!!!

• Like 8

Ngl, liked the mens' competition yesterday better. There was so much drama and tension in the final round. China imploding on bars, Japan staging a comeback, USA holding it down in pommel horse, tears everywhere but for different reasons.

The USA's gold was never in doubt today.

• Like 2

Had a great, relaxing time watching the women's AA final. Happy for Team USA (though as long as everyone hit, there was never a doubt). Sad that Jordan missed her beam mount because I know that will bug her, even though it didn't matter in the least, but happy she stuck that dismount just to put an exclamation point on it.

Super excited for the Italians and Brazilians. We've been waiting for this Italian team to do the damn thing, so very excited to see them finally get there! Glad the Brazilians hung on, even with their missteps today. Sad Team GB missed the bronze by only .2 because there was a minute that it seemed like they may sneak in.

Hopefully, we can retire all media talk about the "redemption tour" and the Twisties and just let this team enjoy their win.

Bring on the men's AA final in the morning!

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yes!  This really stood out to me, too -- Team USA actually looks like America.

And they look like WOMEN! Women actually winning Women's Gymnastics, who would have thunk?

• Like 15
11 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

And they look like WOMEN! Women actually winning Women's Gymnastics, who would have thunk?

Rather than looking like what?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Hopefully, we can retire all media talk about the "redemption tour" and the Twisties and just let this team enjoy their win.

I agree they certainly don't need to redeem themselves (I am very proud of them for that team silver in Tokyo) but the team themselves started using that term first.

There have always been cases of severe malnutrition in women's gymnastics.    Lots of eating disorders, and long term effects from the many injuries.   

I loved seeing the U.S. womens team celebrate everything together.   I love that all of them get the all-around gold medals.    I can't wait for the event finals. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved seeing the U.S. womens team celebrate everything together.   I love that all of them get the all-around gold medals.    I can't wait for the event finals.

There's more work to do but think of where we were twelve or even eight years ago. N***** (Doctor Pedo, not the N-word) still preying (I'll never forget Mack saying "I thought I was going to die" and then hitting that vault in team finals), Marta still over-training and bullying the team, the team still doing camps in that wretched dump, the FBI ignoring multiple warnings about N*****. Simone is a huge part of that sea change.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

There's more work to do but think of where we were twelve or even eight years ago. N***** (Doctor Pedo, not the N-word) still preying (I'll never forget Mack saying "I thought I was going to die" and then hitting that vault in team finals), Marta still over-training and bullying the team, the team still doing camps in that wretched dump, the FBI ignoring multiple warnings about N*****. Simone is a huge part of that sea change.

I was watching Tiktoks this week with these gymnasts and just seeing them eat REAL FOOD and feel comfortable filming themselves with full plates was just amazing. I know that sounds ridiculous, but after reading about what some of the gymnasts went through in the Martha-era (and some of those coaches are still around the sport), it's great to see. It definitely helps that Team USA needs Simone more than Simone needs Team USA, so she can say, "I'm not doing that" and they can't make her.

• Like 14
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 7

I don’t really think the team needs a name. Just call them Gold Medalists. 

1 hour ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

I was watching Tiktoks this week with these gymnasts and just seeing them eat REAL FOOD and feel comfortable filming themselves with full plates was just amazing. I know that sounds ridiculous, but after reading about what some of the gymnasts went through in the Martha-era (and some of those coaches are still around the sport), it's great to see. It definitely helps that Team USA needs Simone more than Simone needs Team USA, so she can say, "I'm not doing that" and they can't make her.

I honestly believe this is one of the reasons so many gymnasts from so many countries look to Simone. Yes, she’s an incredible athlete but how she’s prioritized herself over the sport is amazing to see. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2

Oh and before I forget: shut the fuck up Tim!

Good opening vault from Jordan.

I see we're still doing the Red, Yellow, Green nonsense.

Nice vault Jade. Keep it up with the fluids.

Ok, I get why they keep pointing out the hops, and they aren't wrong, but they're neglecting to also point out how the massive start values render a lot of those landings insignificant. It's only going to be a thing if there's a fall or if two gymnasts do the exact same routine and the landing determines the difference between getting a medal or not.

Simone's family is so cute. Great vault too! Love Jordan's enthusiasm.

I wonder if NBC ever asks the athletes if they can pretend they're injured or ill? After all, what would they talk about if every athlete were perfectly healthy and simply having fun and doing well?

• Like 4

Go Jordan! Great bars! Her family is awesome too.

I wish Simone didn't hate the bars because she does them well. If she liked them even a little bit more I bet she'd be a regular challenger for the event gold.

Suni is so great. I'm glad she's doing better but I hate how gleeful NBC is about her kidney ailments.

On a different note Hoda remains a delight in her love of gymnastics.

I'm watching on Peacock so I don't know if the format is any different from the broadcast but I'm super annoyed that Italy is in second after 2 rotations and we haven't seen one gymnast. We saw a bit of Rebeca, Flavia's eye, and mistakes from China and...nothing. I doubt Italy was just penciled in so SHOW US how they're in silver medal position. Stupid NBC.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Shrek said:

That's what I would have thought but you never know.

Upon re-reading what I wrote I realized it could have been interpreted a different way, thanks for allowing me to clarify!  :)

5 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

All of the gymnasts look like women. I had no idea a Chinese gymnast could have long legs. Why did NBC replace Nastia?

5 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

Upon re-reading what I wrote I realized it could have been interpreted a different way, thanks for allowing me to clarify!  :)

Thanks for the clarification! To be honest, I've felt that way about a lot of the women's sports so far. I remember watching earlier Olympics where a lot of the female athletes weren't quite the super skinny aesthetic that was popular at the time, but they were close, especially in gymnastics. It's nice to see a games where incredibly athletic means lots of visible solid muscle. 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I just want to say that Terry Gannon is wonderful support to the experts. He doesn’t get enough credit. 

He has been through announcer boot camp many times over wrangling Tara and Johnny in figure skating. 😂

• Like 5
  • LOL 13

Beam is particularly unforgiving today. 

Jordan's routine was great in spite of the opening fall.

Suni kicked that beam's ass. I love her sisters.

AN ATHLETE FROM ITALY???? WHAT MADNESS IS THIS??

Nice beam there Italy.

Nice beam Simone.

Whenever a country seems to specialize on a single event (bars for UK for example) I always wonder if it's because the coaches are talented at training that event or do the athletes just happen to collectively prefer it? Same for when a country seems to struggle on a single event (bars again but for Romania). I know Belu back in the day hated the event and coached it only because he had to so at least we know the reason for that one example.

• Like 1

I love Suni Lee’s floor routine so much. That music is 🔥 and she is so lyrical with it. It’s wonderful to see her and Simone especially get the gold after all they have individually gone through. Gymnasts push their minds and bodies past what many of us can comprehend. 

• Like 7
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Is Everyone Gone said:

Ngl, liked the mens' competition yesterday better. There was so much drama and tension in the final round. China imploding on bars, Japan staging a comeback, USA holding it down in pommel horse, tears everywhere but for different reasons.

The USA's gold was never in doubt today.

My heart rate and blood pressure liked it WAY better tho.

• Like 3

Another Italian?!? Did NBC fall asleep while filming?

We only saw the two Italians but it's a (super small) sample of how they earned their medal. I miss the days when knowing the outcome ahead of time allowed the network an opportunity to make sure all the medal winners were shown in the broadcast.

Suni and Jordan did great routines but Simone is just another stratosphere.

Yay for another gold!

• Like 2

Hey, does anyone know if the press conference the girls gave after the meet is on the internet? it sounds like a riot and I want to watch it but I can’t find it anywhere.

I didn't notice it during the live broadcast earlier, but the wall of cameras and photographers on Simone was insane. I can't imagine how intrusive that must feel.

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Hey, does anyone know if the press conference the girls gave after the meet is on the internet? it sounds like a riot and I want to watch it but I can’t find it anywhere.

I saw this clip on X earlier today:

Then Simone posted this:

• Like 3