Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

I can’t do more than a forward roll (and have the gym grades to prove it) but if I ever won an Olympic medal they could just try and take it from me. It’d be Waco all over again. 

• LOL 10
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

At least the jokes are funny.

The comments on that tweet are hysterical! My favorite (so far):

"We may get her a Gold. Don’t F with us. We have lawyers just waiting to bill some hours."

• LOL 17

I noticed during the closing ceremony they announced that the Mayor of Los Angeles and Simone Biles were there to accept the Olympic flag, but Simone didn’t meet with the delegation to retrieve it. She stayed off to the side and engaged minimally with the ceremony. I wonder if that was intentional, if it was because of the boot she’s wearing, or if she was being salty over the IOCs treatment of Jordan Chiles. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Christine Brennan says a resolution to this mess could come as early as today.

Which to me is an indication that this is an out of court resolution/compromise. 

Brennan is extremely well-connected, as anyone who is a figure skating fan knows.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
8 minutes ago, Garden Wafers said:

My family joked that Biles was there so she could give discreetly pass off Chiles's bronze medal to Tom Cruise and have him smuggle it back stateside before FIG got its hands on it. The Olympic flag was just a distraction for the real mission.

If he chose to accept it.

• Like 3
  • LOL 15
2 hours ago, Garden Wafers said:

Biles was there so she could give discreetly pass off Chiles's bronze medal to Tom Cruise

Run, Simone, run! Don't let Scientology get their claws into you!

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 8/10/2024 at 2:59 PM, yowsah1 said:

I was watching Rhythmic Gymnastics last night and it seemed like every other routine got appealed.  Apparently this bullshit has already had a knock-on effect.

I remember watching the Rhythmic Gymnastics at the Tokyo Olympics and I think most routines got appealed.  Crazy.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Translation: We were wrong the first time when we screwed up, we screwed up the second time, and even though there is conclusive evidence of our screwup we don't want to fix it.

• Like 11
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 4

I hope they put an asterisk next to the Bronze medalist in the record books. 

What a joke.

They should release the video. Time stamp and all. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
9 minutes ago, Chaser said:

They should release the video. Time stamp and all. 

This. Full court press. Embarrass the h*** out of them.

I'm hearing rumors that FIG was complaining that the US was winning too many medals--has anyone else heard that?

• Mind Blown 1
  • Angry 2
  • Applause 1

Someone should ask Nadia about what carries more mental anguish: jumping the gun and believing you won a medal for a few mins or being underscored, properly scored, having the medal placed around your neck in ceremony, doing a media tour…. then become publicly shamed by another country, having your medal stripped due to 4 seconds and then not being allowed to present proof that those 4 seconds never happened. 

WHAT DO YOU THINK NADIA?

• Like 14
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Someone should ask Nadia about what carries more mental anguish: jumping the gun and believing you won a medal for a few mins or being underscored, properly scored, having the medal placed around your neck in ceremony, doing a media tour…. then become publicly shamed by another country, having your medal stripped due to 4 seconds and then not being allowed to present proof that those 4 seconds never happened. 

WHAT DO YOU THINK NADIA?

Team FAAFO indeed!

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
52 minutes ago, Chaser said:

WHAT DO YOU THINK NADIA?

Nadia even had the gall to compare this to the 1980 All-Around. She finished second in the competition, not because she was simply the second best athlete of the night, but because the judges waited something like thirty minutes before deciding her score on the last apparatus. Why did they wait so long? Because they were waiting too see what Elena Davidova's score was and then they made sure to give Nadia a number that would keep her second*. Nadia's 1980 experience and the judging error in the floor final are apples and oranges.

1 hour ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I'm hearing rumors that FIG was complaining that the US was winning too many medals--has anyone else heard that?

I don't know if anyone at FIG has ever said it but that's been a complaint from other gymnasts and their coaches in recent years so they're aware of the talk at a minimum. If it's influencing their decisions here, I don't know, but I hope not because they did jack shit when the Soviets were dominating and benefitting from judging errors, genuine and not. It sounds strange but I'd rather they were behaving this way because they're embarrassed at the initial error and don't want to admit their mistakes. Problem is, by digging in rather than admit the mistakes, they're just making it worse and worse.

*This is not a commentary on the actual competition. I've never seen it and Davidova may have been the top gymnast in Compulsories, Team Final, and the All-Around. This is strictly about the corrupt judges making sure a Soviet gymnast won the All-Around during a Soviet hosted Games.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

I don't know if anyone at FIG has ever said it but that's been a complaint from other gymnasts and their coaches in recent years so they're aware of the talk at a minimum.

Uh? That's a strange complaint to make. What are the Americans supposed to do? Do routines with lower difficulty scores? 

It's not the only discipline where one nation is dominant. See China and diving. 

1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

If it's influencing their decisions here, I don't know, but I hope not because they did jack shit when the Soviets were dominating and benefitting from judging errors, genuine and not.

I completely agree. 

Unfortunately, the way this has been handled makes it look like the complaints are influencing decisions. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Souris said:

OMG it's gotten even more ridiculous.

Screenshot_20240812-224134-797.png

That awful but the CAS not following procedure does increase the likelihood that the Swiss Federal Tribunal will actually hear the case. 

And the plot continues to thicken. The head of the panel that denied Jordan this last time has represented Romania for almost a decade now in other arbitration cases. So let’s add conflict of interest on top of everything else. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Angry 3
36 minutes ago, WhitneyWhit said:

And the plot continues to thicken. The head of the panel that denied Jordan this last time has represented Romania for almost a decade now in other arbitration cases. So let’s add conflict of interest on top of everything else. 

This is making me feel like gymnastics should be removed from the Olympics until/unless the governing bodies can clean up their acts. I know that penalized the athletes but this is ridiculous. It feels akin to learning that Lance Armstrong was doping all those years, after that, I lost interest in watching the Tour de France in the same way I used to. And I'm feeling that about gymnastics now too.  Uch.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, WhitneyWhit said:

Insert facepalm here. They really were hoping no one would look too closely weren't they? Too bad they also forgot how litigious the US is. We win all the medals in that competition.

• Like 8
  • LOL 7
1 hour ago, surfgirl said:

This is making me feel like gymnastics should be removed from the Olympics until/unless the governing bodies can clean up their acts. I know that penalized the athletes but this is ridiculous. It feels akin to learning that Lance Armstrong was doping all those years, after that, I lost interest in watching the Tour de France in the same way I used to. And I'm feeling that about gymnastics now too.  Uch.

The International Gymnastics Federation has a ton of issues and blame in this situation but these latest bombshells are about the Court of Arbitration for Sports. They are an independent organization that mediates sports related disputes for multiple federations. Their reach is huge. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
2 hours ago, WhitneyWhit said:

Well that's not shady at all.

My lord they are making this way messier than it ever had to be. Just give them both medals and call it a day. It's unfair for Jordan to lose her medal for reasons that are not her fault.

• Like 8
  • Applause 5
On 8/10/2024 at 11:33 PM, surfgirl said:

@Daisy This 4 year old thank you for that most excellent explanation this giant shit sundae. My husband just said that Jordan should tell TIIC, 'Oh sorry, but you already awarded me the bronze medal.' I am in the 'don't give it back' camp. #fuckthatshit The entire kerfuffle seems moot to me because the judges fucked up by mis-scoring Jordan. With the judges mistake rectified Jordan wins bronze. All I can say is this: Fuck Team Romania, all of them. Technically they lost, they're just playing with rules to fudge their win. 

Stuff like this is why the Karolyi's retired back to Romania.   I wonder if they're involved with the Romanian team now?  

• Useful 1
On 7/29/2024 at 1:57 PM, Is Everyone Gone said:

Think it's just the fact that Tim Daggett is SO besotted with him. 

It's nice to hear that no matter what changes in the real world, Tim Daggett will continue to annoy gymnastics fans and will continue to do so for many generations.

I never got to watch the Olympics because, by the time I got off work, the press had already spoiled the results.

Good job to all those who medaled in this crazy sport.

• Like 2
On 8/22/2024 at 8:33 AM, tv echo said:

Stephen Nedoroscik joins Season 33 of Dancing with the Stars
By Patricia Duffy | August 22, 2024
https://gymnastics-now.com/stephen-nedoroscik-joins-season-33-of-dancing-with-the-stars/

On 8/22/2024 at 8:39 AM, tv echo said:

More details...

Dancing with the Stars Announces Olympic Medalist Stephen Nedoroscik as Season 33's First Celebrity Contestant
By Esther Kang   August 22, 2024
https://people.com/dancing-with-the-stars-announces-first-celebrity-contestant-season-33-stephen-nedoroscik-8699646 

Look who will be on Dancing With the Stars! 👀

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
On 8/17/2024 at 5:05 PM, qtpye said:

It's nice to hear that no matter what changes in the real world, Tim Daggett will continue to annoy gymnastics fans and will continue to do so for many generations.

Yeah, it's almost comforting.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, wanderingstar said:

Yeah, it's almost comforting.

Daggett gonna Daggett.

That man will always be a shameless cheerleader for those he likes.

• Like 1

I was surprised to learn that gymnastics is not part of the Paralympics. It seems so odd given this is one of the most popular events in the Olympics.

https://www.gymmedia.com/Artistic-Gymnastics/When-will-Para-Gymnastics-also-become-Paralympic

and it looks like we'll have to wait until Brisbane 2032, which is crazy!

https://www.british-gymnastics.org/articles/bg-reiterates-ambition-for-gymnastics-to-become-paralympic-sport-by-brisbane-2032

In other news, I was having trouble finding a news update on the Jordan Chiles situation today. It seems the Swiss Fed has not yet ruled but the Romanians, in an effort to appear less shitty to the world (good luck with that), has made a social media post about the three women involved and their mental health, and they want a compromise. Which to me feels a lot like the Romanians fishing for a second ill-gotten bronze for that other lady.

• Useful 1