Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Simone and Suni are posting videos today and it looks like they are having so much fun. The team moved into the Olympic village today (Simone is rooming with Jade and Suni is with Jordan; I'm guessing Hezly has to room with a guardian since she's only 16?), got their USA gear, and showed off their village rooms. They are equipped with cardboard beds, metals shelves for closets, and portable AC units. It is definitely not a fancy resort. 

• Like 6

Really excited they get to have the "true" Olympic experience this time!

And truly loving all the content on TikTok and Instagram from all the athletes in all the countries sharing their rooms in the Village and the store and kitting out and all the things. Very excited for this weekend!

• Like 7
  • Love 1
(edited)

The replay of the podium training is up on Peacock for anyone who wants to watch. The leotards are so pretty, I'm surprised they used them for podium training instead of a bigger event.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1

The Balance Beam Situation link has when the events are happening live (for those who wish to watch live). Those competition times are not changing as they are set by the IOC. (And the past two days’ podium training confirms these times). 

However, NBC will likely mix in the gymnastics meets with other sports during its prime time coverage since the events are long over by that point and they want eyeballs on the whole 5-hour block or whatever. If you go to https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule and scroll down to the Primetime coverage every day and click “details” it shows you what time during that broadcast certain events will start airing. Like on Saturday, they’ll start with MAG qualification before switching to swimming. Since a meet takes longer than 29 minutes, I assume they’ll be flipping back and forth all evening until diving starts. 

IMG_7774.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

The Balance Beam Situation link has when the events are happening live (for those who wish to watch live). Those competition times are not changing as they are set by the IOC. (And the past two days’ podium training confirms these times). 

However, NBC will likely mix in the gymnastics meets with other sports during its prime time coverage since the events are long over by that point and they want eyeballs on the whole 5-hour block or whatever. If you go to https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule and scroll down to the Primetime coverage every day and click “details” it shows you what time during that broadcast certain events will start airing. Like on Saturday, they’ll start with MAG qualification before switching to swimming. Since a meet takes longer than 29 minutes, I assume they’ll be flipping back and forth all evening until diving starts. 

IMG_7774.jpeg

I checked out the nbc site--it looks as though we can go directly to the site and just stream what you want (women's quals, whatever) without all the other sports mixed in. Which I would greatly prefer.

Are there any shadowcasts happening, like when Shannon Miller covered London in 2012?

(edited)

Peacock will be streaming everything live. Everything will also be livestreamed on NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Sports app. If you're going to watch on NBC's site or the sports app, you will need a cable (any cable) or Xfinity internet login.

The primetime block is NBC's traditional package of all events from that day.

To make it easy, here's the schedule with all times Eastern:

5 a.m. July 27: Men's qualification
5:40 a.m. July 28: Women's qualification
11:30 a.m. July 29: Men's team final
12:15 p.m. July 30: Women's team final
11:30 a.m. July 31: Men's all-around final
12:15 p.m. August 1: Women's all-around final
9:30 a.m. August 3: Event finals: men's FX, women's vault, men's pommel horse
9 a.m. August 4: Event finals: men's still rings, women's uneven bars, men's vault
8:45 a.m. August 5: Event finals: Men's parallel bars, women's balance beam, men's high bar, women's floor exercise

Edited by Minneapple
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
50 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

Anyone know how to find which teams are in which subdivisions?

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/schedule/artistic-gymnastics

You can click through to details to see the athletes on each rotation. 

The Balance Beam Situation also has every country listed with a link to scores and how to watch in the U.S. and the world feed: https://balancebeamsituation.com/2024/07/22/2024-olympics-us-schedule-and-links/

• Thanks 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Harry24 said:

Anyone know how to find which teams are in which subdivisions?

https://olympics.com/en/news/artistic-gymnastics-paris-2024-competition-draw-announced

For the women, subdivision one is made up of Great Britain and Romania, subdivision three is Japan and the Netherlands, four is Canada, France and the Republic of Korea, and subdivision five is Brazil and Australia.

Team USA is in subdivision two with Italy and People’s Republic of China, and it’s surely going to be one to watch.

For the men, subdivision one includes Germany, USA, Great Britain and Canada, subdivision two is the Netherlands, People’s Republic of China, Japan and Ukraine, and subdivision three is Türkiye, Switzerland, Italy and Spain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I have the NBC app, I can watch gymnastics alone, and not share with another sport.  I know Peacock showed each sport individually last time.  

Bess

• Like 1

Up and ready to go for MAG Qualification subdivision 1. We've got international commentators on Peacock this morning, which is fantastic!

US Men start on pommel horse and they have entered the arena - let's go!!!

• Like 2

How are you watching, if you do not mind me asking?

I think I found it.  Great Britain was just shown, and now we see Stephen.  He is a cutie.

• Like 1

I feel for Malone. Don’t know if it’s mental or physical but damn. 

Thrilled for Juda. What a cupcake. Frederick is a pressure cooker in the best way.

• Like 3

It's a real difference between how pumped the US gymnasts were during Trials and Nationals and how sullen the top contenders are (China, Japan) after rough routines. It's hard when you're contending.

2 hours ago, Chaser said:

I feel for Malone. Don’t know if it’s mental or physical but damn. 

That was a disaster. I wonder if his first fall got in his head and he couldn't recover or if he's somehow injured again? 

I enjoyed watching the Ukraine and China teams. I also really enjoyed watching the men from other countries be excited and proud when they completed a good routine and not scream and yell and make a scene like the US men have in the past. 

• Like 3
(edited)

The women’s qualifying start list is out. 

No surprises for the US. Simone, Suni and Jordan going for the all around, Jade on floor and vault, and Hezly on beam and bars. 

1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Was Malone supposed to crush it in qualifying?

They really overhyped him during/after nationals. 

Edited by Makai
  • Like 7

Yes.  I'm excited for gymnastics this time.  Can't wait to see our ladies crush it. Also nice to see a Romanian team back in contention.  Curious what the podium will turn out with the you-know-whos out of contention.

As far as the mens go.  I'll pull for Team Japan.  Kinda hoping GB can sneak in and knock China down a peg. Otherwise ist a three way battle for bronze.

As for the US men, I've been burned too many times but here's hoping Malone got the Twisties got of him and they have a 2008 level of run in them.

I'm a Paul Juda stan now 😂

He absolutely got the job done and is sitting in the presumed second US spot for AA finals.

Sad for Brody, but absolutely living for how Tim Daggett and the NBC commentators must be losing their minds and curious how they'll spin his absolute meltdown and Paul's rise. They were all Brody all the time during Nationals and Trials to the point that I wanted him to fail, just so they would be forced to talk about anything else besides his injury. I'm really sad he didn't do his best because no one wants to fall at the Olympic Games, much less multiple times, but that's how gymnastics goes sometimes. Hopefully, he can shake it off for Monday because the US sits in 5th place after two subdivisions (as the third sub is going on right now) so everyone is going to step it up if they want to get that Bronze in the Team Final.

Frederick Richard was also very good, though not at his best. I really wonder if the pressure to qualify for as many finals are weighing on them or if it was just a weird day. Love him a lot too and can't wait to see how he does for the rest of the competition. I'm sorry he didn't make the high bar final because he's usually just amazing on that event (that's where I started to be a fan, watching his high bar at 2023 Nationals).

Asher Hong did the vaults he was brought to Paris to do (all the men off to the side today - gonna have to go back and figure out how to hit the MIDDLE of the springboard/table in training!), but unfortunately is currently sitting in 9th, so not gonna make the final. He's sitting in 8th place in the rings final, so may not make it there either, which sucks, but I'm sure this is just his first Olympics, and we've got a lot more awesomeness from Asher to come.

Stephen Nedoroscik was awesome on pommels (still sitting in 1st place in qualifying, ahead of Max Whitlock, with Rhys still to go in rotation 5 of the third subdivision), so that's all you can ask for. I also loved that he absolutely threw himself into being Team USA's hype man for the rest of the meet. "Let's go Freddy! Think strong thoughts!" Incredible!

Couldn't get up for the second subdivision, but I'm muscling through for the third (in progress now). Not loving the US commentators on this feed. Turns out the NBC sports TEAM USA feed was perfect because it was just the men doing their thing without commentary. So I had the world feed on Peacock for everyone else and the Team USA feed on my laptop with no talking and that really worked nicely.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

So after Day 1, I've compiled what NBC wants you to know about each gymnast:

Brody - his knee exploded into smithereens about a year ago. He's a down-home country boy who grew up on a farm.

Asher Hong - HE.DOES.THE.HARDEST.VAULT.IN.THE.WORLD.

Paul Juda - he's Polish. 

Frederick - he gets so hype after routines! He made the AA final so we gotta be interested in him.

Stephen N - pommel horse dude. Next.

Chinese and Japanese - they're good. Boo them.

Did I miss anything?

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 14
32 minutes ago, Is Everyone Gone said:

But he whips off those Clark Kent glasses and gets the job done! He looks like he can’t see two feet in front of him and I can totally relate.

• Like 10
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

But he whips off those Clark Kent glasses and gets the job done! He looks like he can’t see two feet in front of him and I can totally relate.

He actually looks a lot like Hank McCoy from X-men.

image.png.8778244c757c91553def741f000c9e61.png

• Like 4
(edited)
45 minutes ago, Is Everyone Gone said:

Frederick - he gets so hype after routines! He made the AA final so we gotta be interested in him

He posts on social media. It is mentioned every single competition. 

I thought it was hilarious when they commented on Stephen’s game face but the guy was just doing the “I can’t see shit without my glasses” squint. 

As a side note, Stephen has convinced me that Superman’s glasses are actually a decent disguise. 

Edited by Makai
  • Like 3
  • LOL 13
2 hours ago, Is Everyone Gone said:

So after Day 1, I've compiled what NBC wants you to know about each gymnast:

Brody - his knee exploded into smithereens about a year ago. He's a down-home country boy who grew up on a farm.

Asher Hong - HE.DOES.THE.HARDEST.VAULT.IN.THE.WORLD.

Paul Juda - he's Polish. 

Frederick - he gets so hype after routines! He made the AA final so we gotta be interested in him.

Chinese and Japanese - they're good. Boo them.

Did I miss anything?

I'm glad I watched some of the coverage this afternoon because judging by the prime time show, the US is the only team in Paris and they're all going to all qualify for every event final.

• LOL 7

It's like the overlords at NBC knew they had to air that Brody Malone "I'm just a good ol' country boy" tearjerker right before high bar because they knew there wouldn't be another chance after he imploded and missed all of the individual events.  As someone who is very much not a fan of Malone, I'm not devastated.

Richard is going to have to calm down a little if he wants to medal in the all-around.  He's a cutie, but he didn't seem terribly focused, which seemed to cost him a spot in the high bar final.

Were there other countries competing?🤔

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2

WAG Quali 1 is in the books, with about 40 minutes until WAG Quali 2 (and Team USA).

Love to see Romania back as a team, even if they did kinda implode in places (it's all fun and games until Romania goes to bars). Team GB is gonna have to pull it together for the team final (assuming they make it) because there were too many 11s for any chance at a medal.

Great to see Natalie Escalera fight through a lovely bars routine before that landing that clearly aggravated whatever's going on with her (since she scratched the other events, even though she's the Mexican AA champ). Also lovely to see Rifda Irfanaluthfi become Indonesia's first Olympic gymnast, even if that's bars routine was not what she hoped (sending her healing vibes).

Now for a power nap before the Simone show!

19 minutes ago, Chaser said:

The sound I made after Jade’s last pass. Did not have that on the bingo card.

I truly hope she's okay! She had downgraded in podium training, which I thought was odd, but then that was just bizarre! I've heard that her dad/coach is sick and not able to be on the floor and I wonder if that's messing with her. Glad to see she came through on vault, but the US is going to have some convos about the three for team finals on floor for sure.

• Like 2

Double posting again, but so excited that Suni got the second AA spot. I was really rooting for Jordan, but Suni just did the work and locked it in.

Great bars from Hezley too! Hope she's able to shake off that beam routine because she can definitely do more.

Time for a nap before subdivision 3!

• Like 5

It’s pretty incredible that the individual final will feature the last two Olympic all-around gold medalists.

Poor Jordan though. She looked stoic but that must hurt.

• Like 5
  • Sad 5
2 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Love to see Romania back as a team, even if they did kinda implode in places (it's all fun and games until Romania goes to bars).

OH not again. :(

I will say - really that while i will always love gymnastic, i'm just prepared to just ... not enjoy it this Olympiad again. I figure let me say it now, and get it out of the way then we can just continue the discussion and cheer on everyone lol. I really [still, and forever, thanks Nellie Kim] just don't like how it looks and just more emphasized on the BIG SKILLS vs. the technical/artisty side. (i kinda just want it to be a blend like it used to be). I know i'm from a bygone era and I accept that #oldwoman!! 

i also hope there's some intrigue here.I'd like some upsets etc.  that Cinderella story magic happening. just something to make it go "Ooohh. didn't expect that to happen." 

I'll try not to kvetch about it too much. (But i hold no promises when i seee my zillionth wolfturn). :) Okay it's out of my system. can't wait to see the meet!

• Like 4

Kaylia Nemour with an incredible bars routine, she’s the favorite to win gold in this event, which would be Algeria’s first ever gymnastics medal.

It’s super schadenfreude-esque for France. Nemour (born and raised in France) was cleared for competition after knee surgery by her doctor, but the French team doctors wouldn’t clear her. They were also trying to force her to train at their national center and she wanted to stay in her own gym. Well, when the doctors wouldn’t clear her she was in danger of missing international competitions that would in turn make her ineligible for the Olympics. So she decided to switch nationalities to Algeria (where her father is from). France slow-played her nationality switch until just before a big African competition that she needed to take part in. She was able to take part in that event, she qualified for worlds and then Olympics this year.

France would have had a chance at a team medal with Nemour, too. 

• Like 15
  • Applause 1

When Bars is done right, it’s probably the most beautiful apparatus. Nemour does it right. 

Curious to see who the US puts up on the Team Final. Helzy had some nerves, both her scores were dropped. I think they will stick with Jade on floor. To borrow a figure skating term, I think she just ‘popped’ her last pass. A weird fluke thing. Not surprised they adjusted Suni’s beam routine. She was shaky during podium training and the falls at trails. 

Simone’s ankle is giving me the yikes. 

• Like 5

I know it happens nearly every time, but it’s just so devastating to have such a strong showing and score easily within the Top 10 (she’s number 3 halfway through the qualifying rounds!) and not be able to compete. And the US is so strong, the only individual apparatus Jordan can compete on is Floor. I know those are the rules, but can understand the disappointment. 

• Like 6

Ugh, even with the US in first I'm a little nauseous. Poor Jordan, that two per country rule is bullshit. Simone's ankle, eek. Jade looking uncharacteristically shaky on floor (Suni about had a heart attack when she fell out). Hezly with first Olympics nerves. Suni having little errors on beam. Hopefully round two is more solid and rest helps Simone's injury.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Poor Jordan, that two per country rule is bullshit

no it's not.  even though the next person (whomever they may be) might not win a medal, where Jordan may have won one - that person being in the All Around Finals helps development in their sport for their country, may ensure funding in their sport if they do well and inspire future gymnasts in their country. Which is so incredibly important. 

Which means maybe a few years from now. Betty Mactwisterson and that country could have a chance to contend for medals. Maybe. Who knows. but it's stll important. A crap tonne of sports have a 2 person only rule in an event and a team is super deep so someone has to not compete or eliminated by their own countrymen (Some events even have  a 1 person only and it's the same). 

and the US is so strong. even if it was 3 people per country - people would still fuss that the 4th person was so much better than whoever else qualified maybe they should reconsider. (which i've seen people argue). 

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2

I really like the Canadian's leotards. 

I felt bad for the French gymnast Melanie de Jesus dos Santos. The bars are supposed to be one of her best.

• Sad 2

Its not Simone’s ankle, its her calf and its a flare-up of an old injury.

Re: Jade, she has confirmed that the last several days she has not been feeling well and has been unable to eat. Which would explain why she said “I’m just not strong enough” after floor. Hard not to think its whatever her dad had.

• Sad 3
  • Useful 4