Type keyword(s) to search

Season 9 discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

If you are using a DVR, there may be a way to extend the record time (end X minutes after the show's scheduled end time). My DVR has that feature but I am not sure if all DVRs have it.

Mine has that feature, too, but it is show specific.  If you know you're going to need it (like a show on a channel that's intentionally a minute or 2 off the hour) you can set it, but otherwise it's not useful.  

• Like 1

I just checked my recording (didn't watch live) and I'm seeing Professor T, so it looks like I'll be missing the end of Grantchester.  I have to catch it on a rerun on Thursday.  My PBS channel is WTTW - Chicago. 

First, let me say how much I like Alphy.  Not just being shallow (although he is very nice to look at) but his generally laid back approach and lack of drama.  Having said that, I think he was absolutely wrong not to be honest with Mrs. C about the Bishop's decision to consolidate the parishes.  She (and the other ladies, who she rightly pointed out are the ones who really keep things going) have every right to know about it, especially when Alphy could benefit from their help.  I guess this ties into the episode theme of devaluing women, but she really is treated pretty cavalierly in terms of not being seen as helpful and as a partner.  And yes, I am aware of her negatives, but she has proven herself to be warm and open to change.

I think the show has left a lot of wriggle room with respect to Cathy - her age (menopause), her mother's mental illness etc  But I also wonder if part of her extreme reaction to Esme getting is a job relates to PTSD arising from the sexual assault she suffered at work (I think? not really sure)

Leonard being Leonard was great (especially in his gardening apron) but WHERE THE DICKENS WAS DICKENS?

• Like 6
3 hours ago, surfgirl said:

I thought Esme was rooming with the hussy that was killed, no? If so, is she living on her own now? I was very annoyed when she and her friend sashayed into the Keating kitchen and she dumped their laundry with her mom. I would have hoped that her mother just left it as is and when she picked it up her mom said, 'you're grown up enough to live on your own, then you're grown up enough to find somewhere to do your own laundry.'

I would be okay with Esme doing her laundry there because I am not sure if commercial laundromats existed (and if they did there may not have been one close enough for her to use) and a laundry service may have been too expensive. However, I am not okay with Esme treating her mother like a laundry service with Esme dropping it off and expecting to pick it back up a few days later cleaned and folded.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mjc570 said:

WHERE THE DICKENS WAS DICKENS?

I know I saw him at least once, in the kitchen, I think? Might have been the beginning of the episode when Mrs. C was putting food on the table. He gets more airtime than the non-Esme Keating children...

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Dickens was in the scene near the end when Alphy fixed the meal for Mrs. C; he was sitting next to the table.

I must admit that when Esme called her mom "Cathy" and then dropped her dirty laundry on the floor I would have applauded if Cathy had smacked her silly.  What a brat!  There is a difference between pushing boundaries and crossing the line and Geordie should have spoken up with that scene.

It's sickening to think that "Marilyn or Doris" crap continues to this day albeit not as blatantly.  That one dude was the smarmiest creep I have ever seen.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I would be okay with Esme doing her laundry there because I am not sure if commercial laundromats existed (and if they did there may not have been one close enough for her to use) and a laundry service may have been too expensive. However, I am not okay with Esme treating her mother like a laundry service with Esme dropping it off and expecting to pick it back up a few days later cleaned and folded.  

I guess my feelings is this - if Esme cannot afford to do her own laundry or figure out how that's done, then she's not mature enough to be living on her own. 

55 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

I must admit that when Esme called her mom "Cathy" and then dropped her dirty laundry on the floor I would have applauded if Cathy had smacked her silly.  What a brat!  There is a difference between pushing boundaries and crossing the line and Geordie should have spoken up with that scene.

Bingo! I felt the same way, though I rather like thinking Cathy just put it to the side and when Esme came to collect it, it was not done, nor would ever be done. 

And yes, it irked that Geordie say fuck all until it was about whether or not the birth control pills were Esme's. He really is a lame parent.

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, zoey1996 said:
12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think this is an unpopular opinion, but I enjoy Mrs Chapman (who I always want to call Mrs McCarthy

Her name before her marriage to Mr. Chapman was Mrs. McGuire. I also enjoy her character, and am amused by her assumption she could just return to the vicarage.

Mrs. McCarthy was the name of a similar character on "Father Brown." I get them confused as well. Although Father Brown now has two new women handling Mrs. McCarthy's duties. 

Edited by J-Man
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

It's sickening to think that "Marilyn or Doris" crap continues to this day albeit not as blatantly.  That one dude was the smarmiest creep I have ever seen.

That first scene and the way they called Esme, "new girl," reminded me so much of the pilot episode of, "Mad Men,"  where the men all gathered around Peggy to assess her.  The main smarmy guy even looked like Pete.

I must say, Cathy's store discount and Geordie and Cathy's money sure have provided Esme with the cutest little sweaters I've ever seen.

• Like 5

When Alpha came across Mrs. C dusting the TV and asked her if her strike was over, she said something along the lines of, "I can't ignore dust this thick. I'm not an animal." I laughed, but there's no way Mrs. C would say that last bit. It also felt very anachronistic. Still funny, but this show does like to force a modern reference/attitude into a period piece.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, J-Man said:

Mrs. McCarthy was the name of a similar character on "Father Brown." I get them confused as well. Although Father Brown now has two new women handling Mrs. McCarthy's duties. 

Yes, I was definitely alluding to Father Brown. BTW, in an earlier post I said that while watching Karen Pirie I saw the actor who plays the bishop. Well, watching that show I realized that the roommate of Karen is Bunty (from Father Brown). 

3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

That first scene and the way they called Esme, "new girl," reminded me so much of the pilot episode of, "Mad Men,"  where the men all gathered around Peggy to assess her.  The main smarmy guy even looked like Pete.

I also immediately thought of Mad Men, esp the men literally chasing the women around the office.

16 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

When Alpha came across Mrs. C dusting the TV and asked her if her strike was over, she said something along the lines of, "I can't ignore dust this thick. I'm not an animal." I laughed, but there's no way Mrs. C would say that last bit. It also felt very anachronistic. Still funny, but this show does like to force a modern reference/attitude into a period piece.

I loved that line, too. It reminded me of Jack's line on 30 Rock re wearing a tuxedo, "What am I, a farmer?"

• Like 2
On 7/14/2024 at 8:47 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

So Cathy...menopause???

This is what I'm thinking.  She's at the right age to be going through menopause. Cathy's actions reminded me of my mother when she went through it.

• Like 3

I agree with menopause as Cathy's malady, but I'm also fearing a drug addiction in the near future.  I don't know the names of the British drugs, but I know lots of American women at that time became addicted to Valium and others to the speed in diet pills.

• Like 3
(edited)

Did no one at Esme's office know the police inspector leading the investigation was her dad?  No offhand remark on them having the same name?  It's not like it is Smith.  

If Cathy is going through menopause, her emotional state could be aggravated by her fearing that the symptoms she is experiencing mean she is slipping into mental illness like her mother.

I remember coming home from college one summer to find my mother so different, quick to anger and very emotional, just like Cathy.  It took me a bit to realize why, as we all walked around on tiptoes, never knowing what might upset Mom.  During that time, if I ever dumped my dirty laundry at my mom's feet like Esme did, my normally calm and nonviolent mother probably would have slapped my face.  But even in non-menopause times, she would have said you know where the washer is, take care of this yourself. 

44 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I agree with menopause as Cathy's malady, but I'm also fearing a drug addiction in the near future.  I don't know the names of the British drugs, but I know lots of American women at that time became addicted to Valium and others to the speed in diet pills.

I was trying to read the name of the drug on the prescription.  I think it said "Lithadol."  I have no idea what that is/was but I'm assuming some type of tranquilizer? 

Edited by Calvada
  • Like 5
7 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Did no one at Esme's office know the police inspector leading the investigation was her dad?  No offhand remark on them having the same name?  It's not like it is Smith.  

If Cathy is going through menopause, her emotional state could be aggravated by her fearing that the symptoms she is experiencing mean she is slipping into mental illness like her mother.

I remember coming home from college one summer to find my mother so different, quick to anger and very emotional, just like Cathy.  It took me a bit to realize why, as we all walked around on tiptoes, never knowing what might upset Mom.  During that time, if I ever dumped my dirty laundry at my mom's feet like Esme did, my normally calm and nonviolent mother probably would have slapped my face.  But even in non-menopause times, she would have said you know where the washer is, take care of this yourself. 

I was trying to read the name of the drug on the prescription.  I think it said "Lithadol."  I have no idea what that is/was but I'm assuming some type of tranquilizer? 

No search results for “Lithadol” (spelled as written on screen). Closest was lithium, history stated it was used in the past to treat what is now called bipolar disorder. The doctor (actor) called it a “mood enhancer”.

• Useful 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Daff said:

The doctor (actor) called it a “mood enhancer”.

Mood stabilizer. Cathy doesn't need her moods enhanced, heh.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

Mood stabilizer. Cathy doesn't need her moods enhanced, heh.

Right. I think “enhancer” was in the text I read about lithium. 

• Like 2
On 7/15/2024 at 12:51 PM, zoey1996 said:

Our local PBS station showed the President's address, then everything in full. I extended my DVR so caught full episodes.

Luckily, in my neck of the woods, there are two PBS stations, and one has the complete Sunday night lineup of Professor T, Grantchester and DI Ray airiing on Monday nights.  Once I saw the PBS Newshour guy on Sunday night at 8pm I set my DVR for the Monday night viewing.

CBS Sunday Morning was also pre-empted.  Don't get me started.

23 hours ago, surfgirl said:

And yeah for Miss Scott being given something more to do! Though that said, I have always felt that it would be highly unlikely that Miss Scott would have been so easily employed given the negative viewpoint back then on people that are differently-abled, regardless of what they are actually capable of.

This show has thrown the 50s-60s sensibility out the window.

• Like 5

I love Alphy,  there's something  about the easy way he handles situations, I really  like him as an actor. Esme needs to smarten up, I'm pretty sure she was bought up with better manners, than those she displayed to her mother.

Talking  of Cathy, I'm worried  about her. I hope it is menopause,  in fact I thought  that's  what the doctor was going to bring up. Sitting  alone at that table, with a bottle  of pills, if you've ever suffered  with depression,  strange things go through  your mind. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Agree  with all who have said that Esme needed a slap in the face when she called her mother "Cathy" and dumped the laundry on her.  I almost screamed at the TV "You spoiled little snot!".

My guess is that Cathy is hitting menopause.  Back in those days the word wasn't mentioned and people would whisper that a woman of that age acting crazy was "going through the change".    We talk about it today, but imagine what it was like in 1962 when women were valued for youth and fertility and not much else.   Menopause hits you on the head  that you've lost both, and when you also get hit with the double whammy of unpleasant mental and physical symptoms, lots of women thought they were losing their minds.    Unfortunately, Cathy's doctor is giving her the "Mother's Little Helpers" instead of really listening to her and telling her what is going on.  Another way of women being devalued.   And my guess is that we're going to see Cathy become addicted and/or drugged into being a shadow of who she is.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
(edited)

Surprised to see we're getting a seventh episode! That hasn't happened since, what? Season...2? With Amanda (ick).

1x06

And was that Augusta from Sanditon hooking up with Alphy???? i can't find an acting credit on imdb, but that looked like her.

Jack still exists! Hi Jack!

I knew Sam was up to something. He's totally brainwashed Daniel. If he wanted another contribution he should have asked Jack himself. And yeah, it *is* different concerning Leonard, Daniel. Leonard is literally like a son to Mrs. C.

And so the 'messy' behavior and drama for Alphy has slowly begun. It was going to happen at some point...yay? 😬 I do like his confidence, though. Reversing the trend of previous vicars anguishing over their poor, messy romantic choices is a nice change of pace.

He's lucky Mrs. C didn't catch him participating in cards after what happened last episode. She would have had a field day.lol.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Like 5
31 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Surprised to see we're getting a seventh episode! That hasn't happened since, what? Season...2?

Season 2 was six episodes plus a Christmas special. Season 6 (aka the never ending misery of Leonard in prison) was 8 episodes, as is this season.

An actual sighting of another Keating child, albeit in a completely ridiculous situation, as she looked much too old to be blaming the broken vase on the dog. Would have worked better if it had been the son, who's still under 10. 

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Season 2 was six episodes plus a Christmas special. Season 6 (aka the never ending misery of Leonard in prison) was 8 episodes, as is this season.

An actual sighting of another Keating child, albeit in a completely ridiculous situation, as she looked much too old to be blaming the broken vase on the dog. Would have worked better if it had been the son, who's still under 10. 

Funny i don't remember s6 being any longer than the usual 6 episodes lol.

Surprised they don't give more screentime to the next oldest keating child. Was she in the Goodbye Will episode? I only remember there being much smaller kids (like 10ish yrs old or younger). She doesn't look much younger than Esme.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Surprised they don't give more screentime to the next oldest keating child. Was she in the Goodbye Will episode? I only remember there being much smaller kids (like 10ish yrs old or younger). She doesn't look much younger than Esme.

They were all in the Goodbye Will episode. The girl we saw today was Keating girl #3 (Dora), who I at first mistook for girl #2 (Ivy) because she did look quite old. Ivy has been taller than Esme for at least a few seasons now, and I think Dora might be taller than her, too, now. Which shouldn't be an issue-- younger sisters can be tall!-- but the writers seem to want to pretend that Ivy and Dora are much younger than Esme, when they're clearly not and never have been. (They were all small but not toddlers in season 1, so if Esme is 16 now, Ivy should be 15, and Dora 13 or 14.)

• Useful 3

Metal detectors were available before the 1960s. If the archeologists were not using them to look for objects like the sword and cross, they should at least have had a line explaining why not (cost?).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

As soon as Alphy locked eyes with the girl in the bar, I could only say "here we go again". 

Drinking, gambling, sex with strangers - apparently the ongoing underlying theme of Grantchester.  At least we got through five episodes without it.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Driad said:

Metal detectors were available before the 1960s. If the archeologists were not using them to look for objects like the sword and cross, they should at least have had a line explaining why not (cost?).

Yes. But the point ended up being they were dirt poor and resorted to nefarious means to get money. The cost of those early metal detectors would have been prohibitive.

Moreover, Geordie revealed that they were also planting other anachronistic artifacts in the dig sites (salting the mine, so to speak) to solicit more donations.

Edited by Daff
  • Like 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

Drinking, gambling, sex with strangers - apparently the ongoing underlying theme of Grantchester. 

Don't forget slumming it in the den of iniquity that is the underground jazz club. Hee. Though it was nice to see Alphy relatively sanguine about his night out. I'm tired of the self-flagellation Sydney and Will put themselves through.

It was nice to see more of Jack, and I got the feeling he knows Sam is up to no good, which is why he said no to giving to Daniel any money.

I know David, the other vicar, is sort of a Chekov's gun here, but I'm half expecting the bishop to be some sort of victim.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Like 6
4 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

I am guessing Kathy's "mood stabilizers" are Valium since she has the look of a walking zombie.

Yes, mother's  little  helpers. I hated seeing  her like that, and I hope she doesn't OD on them.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

As soon as Alphy locked eyes with the girl in the bar, I could only say "here we go again". 

Drinking, gambling, sex with strangers - apparently the ongoing underlying theme of Grantchester.  At least we got through five episodes without it.

Ah yes, the town of Grantchester, where the Vicar's have the morals of an alley cat and there are plenty of loose young lovelies to play with. 

I just watched the movie "Looking For Mr Goodbar" and unfortunately my mind immediately went to Alphy's hook-up winding up as a future victim.  

And it was great seeing Jack again; and I also think that he smells something fishy about Sam.  I just hope that Leonard and Daniel survive this as a couple.  

• Like 5

I'm sure that not all young, single clergymen in the 50s and 60s were celibate, but surely there was at least one who didn't indulge in casual sex. At least we're getting some variety in Alphy not being wracked with guilt, but it might have been nice to have one whose only issues involved dealing with all the external factors he's faced with, like the potential failure of his parish as racism, but who is otherwise not self-destructive or dealing with inner issues and who is actually living up to the standards of his calling.

It has struck me that this show has a tendency to do these extreme swings in tone. The very premise of a vicar who tags along on murder investigations is a setup for culture-clash humor, and some of the characters are comical exaggerations, but then the personal stories of the characters tend to go so dark. It swings so much between "ha ha, the vicar and the cop have totally different perspectives, and the overbearing housekeeper really runs the place for the hapless young vicars" and inner demons, substance abuse, oppression, mental illness, etc.

• Like 8

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get with Daniel feeling entitled to a donation from Jack. It's Jack's money—he can give it to whomever or whatever causes he wants. 

Shut up, Daniel.

• Like 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, Driad said:

I was thinking about metal detectors, but just because of Detectorists.

18 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

And was that Augusta from Sanditon hooking up with Alphy???? i can't find an acting credit on imdb, but that looked like her.

I found out that the actress who played 'Petra' is Lizzie Back.

Boy, I didn't like Kate from the get-go. First off... Ladies, stop flirting with all the vicars! I know this is TV and things are exaggerated or just plain false, but IRL do/did women flirt so much with vicars? 

As for 'Petra,' when Alphy discovered the break-in, I thought that she had purposely kept him away from the vicarage so her partner-in-crime could steal the cross. So much for that theory.

Oh, another thing I didn't like about Kate was when she was questioning Alphy in the interrogation room. I really really hate when characters, particularly ones I dislike, have sudden insight into the state of mind of a regular character. Bugger off, Kate.

So Alphy has a gambling problem? 

At the very beginning when he was talking to God, he quoted Amazing Grace -- I once was lost, but now I'm found -- and said, "I've never really understood those words before." What? I'm no vicar, and I understand those words. 

I knew Sam was up to something. He's totally brainwashed Daniel. If he wanted another contribution he should have asked Jack himself. And yeah, it *is* different concerning Leonard, Daniel. Leonard is literally like a son to Mrs. C.

I think we all knew that Sam was a shifty character. But I'm also irritated with Daniel for how he behaved with Jack. I wonder if he and Leonard will break up. I kind of find him a bit boring, so I wouldn't mind if he was out of the picture.

I was amused by many lines.

Mrs. C: Nothing worse than getting your sandals muddy.

Mrs. C: Letter writing, that's what we'll do.
Leonard: Straight to the nuclear option.

Geordie to Cathy: You're going to whack on some of that perfume that makes me feel things...

Three different people saying to Jack, "So this is where you've been hiding."

I also loved when Mrs. C decided Jack should lick the stamps because she couldn't trust Leonard to align them correctly.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Like 6

Guess I'm in the minority.  I came here to read objections to Mrs. C's new look and new harsher personality.  She's being given more lines than ever before ... so she appears (to me) a more annoying and persistent! busybody.

I sometimes enjoyed her one-liners and generally negative attitude...while helping. I don't like the NEW Mrs. C. OR her new wardrobe...including the wig.  

• Like 3
On 7/22/2024 at 3:56 AM, Orcinus orca said:

Drinking, gambling, sex with strangers - apparently the ongoing underlying theme of Grantchester.

I was hoping Alphy would be different.  I don't believe vicars would do that.

• Like 5
(edited)

When you have only nine parishioners, there's got to be a lot of free time. What else are the vicars supposed to do?

Edited by dubbel zout
  • LOL 10
(edited)
6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

When you have only nine parishioners, there's got to be a lot of free time. What else are the vicars supposed to do?

Maybe help out Leonard?  Do community outreach?  Volunteer?

I am actually on the side of the evil bishop here - why keep that enormous, costly building open for a handful of parishioners?  They probably get less than $50 in tje collection basket every week.  Not even enough for the electric bill.

Edited by Orcinus orca
  • Like 4
18 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

I don't believe vicars would do that.

Certainly not so openly!  Decent vicars would be sneakier.

17 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

I am actually on the side of the evil bishop here - why keep that enormous, costly building open for a handful of parishioners? 

Really.  When I lived in England, our little village church had about nine people showing up each Sunday and the answer was to share the vicar with the next village over. He did two services each Sunday.  Collections for both churches were regularly taken up down at the pub. The non-religious villagers liked keeping their church in good shape as an historic building and for weddings and funerals.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

When I lived in England, our little village church had about nine people showing up each Sunday and the answer was to share the vicar with the next village over.

Huge numbers of Catholic churches have merged due to lack of attendance and priests.  There just isn't enough money to maintain them.  If the parishioners want to keep it open, they have to pay for upkeep but share priests between them.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 7/22/2024 at 3:56 AM, Orcinus orca said:

They haven't wasted any time making Alfie into Will v.2.0. All I can say is...uch, and no thank you! I think the show runners think you can't have an interesting and engaging show without the vicar being a fuck boy. Sad that they think this about a show that could be entertaining without that aspect.

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 7
  • Applause 4

And if she would be in trouble if anyone saw him coming in,  how could he just waltz out in the morning? If the actress is a known quantity does that mean she'll be a recurring character?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, OlderThanDirt said:

And if she would be in trouble if anyone saw him coming in,  how could he just waltz out in the morning?

That cracked me up. They make such a big deal of Alphy having to sneak into the residence hall, and he doesn't even look both ways down the hall before sauntering outside.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
On 7/24/2024 at 4:56 AM, JudyObscure said:

Certainly not so openly!  Decent vicars would be sneakier.

Really.  When I lived in England, our little village church had about nine people showing up each Sunday and the answer was to share the vicar with the next village over. He did two services each Sunday.  Collections for both churches were regularly taken up down at the pub. The non-religious villagers liked keeping their church in good shape as an historic building and for weddings and funerals.

They do the same here in  villages outside  of the big cities.My mil really  enjoyed  her church  time.

• Like 1

I was hoping Sam would turn out to be the killer.  Maybe Caroline is just taking the fall for him?  He seems to have some people completely under his control.  Which is hard for me to understand, since he gives off such creepy vibes.

• Like 7
(edited)

1x07

Last week i thought was going to be the finale. This week i thought was going to be the finale...so third times the charm? Eight episodes it is.

Hard to miss that very obvious jab at social media spaces (or at least some of the people who use them) like twitter, etc. lol

So sam getting arrested at some point isn't enough. I need him gone. Like six feet under gone.

Leonard :(

I don't see how he and daniel are coming back from this at this point. Sure, daniel's been brainwashed but things are not good between them. They need to call it quits with each other, and if not completely then at least temporary.

Sam's cult probably set shop up in daniel's house.

Larry :'(. He didn't deserve to be ridiculed either.

Heck, have him infiltrate sam's cult and be the key to taking him down. Let him get a big snazzy article about in the newspaper and let him rub it in that pretentious college dude's face.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2