Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: How to Build A Coffin

• Start Topic

(edited)

So my brain isn't just getting old; I have a speech demon and that's why I can't remember the names of actors from 40 year old tv shows and the names of rock bands I haven't heard since the 70s. I'm not sure that makes me feel any better.

Andy is lucky that the amount of drug in that syringe wasn't enough to kill an adult.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Like 12

A couple seeking an exorcism is plagued by a demon that thrives on taking away the ability to speak clearly, and its influence spreads to the team. Brainwashed, Andy is pushed to deadly measures, and Andrea confronts a new demon attached to Father Ignatius.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

There is a lot that is happening that is genuinely horrifying.

I like that the glass ceiling, so evident in the DF offices, is also a thing in the Church. It makes me hope for a satisfying payoff of some sort. 

• Like 8

“Jenny Park of Sun Valley, Utah skipped the intro and lost all her hair.”

🫣🫣🫣

Hey Leland, orchestrating the rise of Antichrist and fathering him are two very different things. Duh.

Sheryl using Kirsten’s voice to calm Baby T has inadvertently inspired Leland to weaponize Andy. Killing Laura just to make Kirsten longing for a replacement is truly an evil plan.

Patrick Brammall is really captivating in the hypnotize scene with Leland. The single tear coming down his face even though he’s under hypnosis really speaks volume. He’s aware of his surrounding but he can’t break-free. 👏🏻

Andy’s last interaction with the girls is when he plays a monster in their bedtime story. It’s a parallel to what Leland has asked him to do - be a monster and kill your own child.

If I have to choose between two demons from this episode, I would choose Tommy. The story of this little demon of grief is way more compelling than the speech demon. When someone you love died, it leaves a hole in your heart (ref: a gaping hole on Father Ignatius’ body) and it weighs you down, emotionally (ref: the rocks).

Father Ignatius being able to finally share his grief with someone is a very good progress. Does Sister Andrea ever regretted her decision to leave Paul for God? 

Wouldn’t it be a blessing in disguise if that speech demon can visit and attach himself to all offensive, vulgar persons who won’t stop swearing? 🤔

Why Ben’s Djinn suddenly becomes sexually suggestive? It’s so random. The Djinn purposely picks a cult lady to mess with Ben. 🚩🚩🚩

• Like 9

I was surprised to see Ben’s demon leading to sexual feelings for Kristen; we already went through that with David. I continue to love Sister Andrea, she is fearless! I hope Kristen finds out what is going on with Andy. Sometimes they make Leland out to be just a buffoon but he’s a buffoon who wants to kill a child and is drugging and controlling Andy. I didn’t quite get the infusion thing with Cheryl, she looks the same as she always did.

• Like 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

“Jenny Park of Sun Valley, Utah skipped the intro and lost all her hair.”

🫣🫣🫣

Hey Leland, orchestrating the rise of Antichrist and fathering him are two very different things. Duh.

Sheryl using Kirsten’s voice to calm Baby T has inadvertently inspired Leland to weaponize Andy. Killing Laura just to make Kirsten longing for a replacement is truly an evil plan.

Patrick Brammall is really captivating in the hypnotize scene with Leland. The single tear coming down his face even though he’s under hypnosis really speaks volume. He’s aware of his surrounding but he can’t break-free. 👏🏻

Andy’s last interaction with the girls is when he plays a monster in their bedtime story. It’s a parallel to what Leland has asked him to do - be a monster and kill your own child.

If I have to choose between two demons from this episode, I would choose Tommy. The story of this little demon of grief is way more compelling than the speech demon. When someone you love died, it leaves a hole in your heart (ref: a gaping hole on Father Ignatius’ body) and it weighs you down, emotionally (ref: the rocks).

Father Ignatius being able to finally share his grief with someone is a very good progress. Does Sister Andrea ever regretted her decision to leave Paul for God? 

Wouldn’t it be a blessing in disguise if that speech demon can visit and attach himself to all offensive, vulgar persons who won’t stop swearing? 🤔

Why Ben’s Djinn suddenly becomes sexually suggestive? It’s so random. The Djinn purposely picks a cult lady to mess with Ben. 🚩🚩🚩

I swear, and I recently forgot the name of peroxide, so maybe you’re getting your wish. I didn’t forget swear words, though.  

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1
  • LOL 7
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I was surprised to see Ben’s demon leading to sexual feelings for Kristen; we already went through that with David. I continue to love Sister Andrea, she is fearless! I hope Kristen finds out what is going on with Andy. Sometimes they make Leland out to be just a buffoon but he’s a buffoon who wants to kill a child and is drugging and controlling Andy. I didn’t quite get the infusion thing with Cheryl, she looks the same as she always did.

I wasn’t really surprised, but I like that he contacted someone else, instead of hitting on Kristen.  

Leland using Kristen’s fears against her whole family, and trying to get Andy to kill his little girl, was horrific.  Kristen was afraid he wasn’t happy with four girls, but he loves them more than life itself.  Something Leland could never understand.  

Thomas reminded me of the gravelings in Dead Like Me.  The little gremlin-like things that set events into motion, where people die.  I love that Andrea found a way to get rid of him, and grieve with Father Ignatius.  that was a beautiful scene.  

Edited by Anela
  • Like 11

That's a pretty interesting way to write Patrick Brammall off the show, at least temporarily. 

I cannot believe how dark this got.   I honestly didn't know what was going to happen, but I was yelling "Andy!!" at the tv when he went in the girls' room and pulled off her sock. 

• Like 8

I continue to approve that the show continues to treat the Korecki/Ignatius relationship like it mattered and it was a real thing. A love between two male catholic priests. Whatever the relationship was. It was love.

Watching Leland fumble with the early days of fatherhood is something that Kristen would enjoy watching. And Kristen needs some joy in her life.  She was right.   Babies are the real evil and Leland is not ready.  Loved Sheryl's line wondering about women being convinced they were the emotional ones. 

Once again Andy who should have been nothing more then an annoying road block in the Kristen/David ship shows what a good father/man he actually is.  I was actually expecting him to die and if he did it would have been a wonderful and tragic way to go out.   Proving how strong he actually was.  Poor Andy is reaching the levels of Poor Martha from The Americans.

Sister Andrea The Demon Slayer.   I would watch the spin off.

• Like 14
(edited)
7 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

Having the Psycho music play on the baby's mobile was ingenious.

And the mobile pieces, devils, skulls and other horrific images. 😆

Sister Andrea to the rescue! Who needs exorcisms when you have Sister Andrea around. 

Edited by goldilocks
  • Like 9
54 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

(snip)

Sister Andrea The Demon Slayer.   I would watch the spin off.

Seriously, someone put together a Supernatual-style show about Sister Andrea road-tripping around the world to deal with all kinds of demon infestations, and I will sign up for whatever streaming service is savvy enough to run it. 👿👺✂️🥰

• Like 7

Martin and Shawn were simply perfect in their scene talking about the Monsignor. I love it when people I've watched for years knock it out of the park. 

Andy was killing me. I said out loud, "Please don't stab her, and don't turn it on yourself..." and then what happened? 

Kristen foresaw what Leland was going to have to deal with. So, you think you can anti-Christ? Good luck.

I want a resolution soon to Ben the Magnificent and the jinn. There's getting to be more plot lines than might be wrapped up. 

• Like 7

Leland going out of his mind and getting puked on by the baby antichrist is the least of what he deserves. He’s always been despicable but brainwashing Andy into killing Laura is a new low.

Andy trying to resist stabbing Laura with the needle, then turning it on himself was so sad. If he’s remembering everything, I wonder why he doesn’t tell Kristen what Leland and Sheryl are doing to him. Will leaving actually keep Leland from getting to him, though? He’ll have to ditch his phone so they can’t call him at the very least.

I liked Sister Andrea helping Father Ignatius by talking about the grief that’s weighing him down. Tommy the grief demon flipping her off was hilarious. Looks like he’s back at the end though, hanging out at the hospital watching Andy and Kristen.

• Like 7

Sister Andrea is handy with a pair of garden shears! Thank goodness for her and her demon bashing skills. David has to start believing in Sister Andrea more (“exorcism worked”, my ass), so he can learn from her and take over as Demon Slayer when she’s gone… traipsing around the world eradicating demons in her spinoff series. 😉 

When evil Leland (may Baby Antichrist keep screeching and spewing shit and puke on you, 100 times a day) implanted Andy’s thoughts with the plan with the syringe, I thought “No, not Laura!” She’s my favorite. I was hoping his paternal instincts would kick in and override the trance... thank goodness. But poor Andy. Sister Andrea, get your super shears out and go after Leland!

• Like 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, SeanBug said:

I cannot believe how dark this got.   I honestly didn't know what was going to happen, but I was yelling "Andy!!" at the tv when he went in the girls' room and pulled off her sock. 

For real - at first this epsiode seemed like your typical "Evil" case, but then I remembered the episode title, so I was bracing for something creepy to happen. And then Leland told Andy to kill Laura in THE most chillingly matter-of-fact, utterly cold manner possible, and then everything just went straight downhill from there. We have seen demons, we've witnessed exorcisms, we've watched people kill their family members before on cases, we've seen creepy elevator ghosts, all sorts of weird, freaky stuff, over these four seasons...

...but damn, that moment of Andy slowly opening the door to the girls' room, and standing there with the needle, ready to inject Laura...that may well genuinely be the scariest moment I've seen in this show thus far. I was watching that entire scene through my fingers and muttering, "No, don't, please don't..." over and over again. I had a feeling he wouldn't go that far, I had a feeling he'd do something to stop himself from hurting his daughter in that way.

But even knowing that, when he jabbed himself with the needle and then fell to the floor, I actually let out a choked sob. So relieved he didn't die, but that ending with him and Kristen in the hospita was still utterly heartbreaking in its own right. I'm glad he realizes he needs to step away, if only for his family's safety, but...damn. I really want him to be okay at the end of all of this. 

Sister Andrea and Father Ignacius' talk right on the heels of Andy injecting himself only added to the emotion of the moment. But damn, what a fantastic scene that was. I absolutely loved the way they bonded over grief and loss, and I too really appreciate this show acknowledging Ignatcus' relationship with the Monsignor and how special and significant and important it was, up to and including acknowledging they loved each other. Sister Andrea in general is a force to be reckoned with - I want her on my side when shit's going down. 

I also like how the whole theme of a demon that dealt with grief was running alongside the case with people losing their ability to speak properly and think of the right words. A very common thing that happens when you're grieving, after all, or trying to comfort those who are - you're not always sure what to say or how to say it, or how to express how you're feeling. And sometimes there are no words that properly would suffice. 

5 hours ago, Anela said:

I wasn’t really surprised, but I like that he contacted someone else, instead of hitting on Kristen.  

Same. I didn't expect him to act on those taunts about Kristen, but yeah, I too am not surprised that he had those thoughts. I've always sensed a little bit of a flirty vibe between them, so I like that the show did acknowledge that to some degree, even if only in a manipulative context. 

As heavy as so much of this episode was, I got a really good laugh out of this exchange between Kristen and Kurt, when they were talking about the brain rewiring itself to pre-internet status:

"What about kids who grow up in this environment?"

"Oh, they're screwed." 

Yeah. This was a really good episode. Intense as hell, but good. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 13

Sister Andrea is ironically fighting the same misogyny as Sheryl is.   Team Demon or Team God…..fuck the patriarchy.

Good or evil both Andrea and Sheryl are clever, resourceful and should be treated as assets by the people they work for.   But neither are.    Andrea is ignored and called “crazy” and Sheryl is used and mocked.    

Team God or Team Satan…fuck misogyny 

• Like 12
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

But even knowing that, when he jabbed himself with the needle and then fell to the floor, I actually let out a choked sob. So relieved he didn't die, but that ending with him and Kristen in the hospita was still utterly heartbreaking in its own right. I'm glad he realizes he needs to step away, if only for his family's safety, but...damn. I really want him to be okay at the end of all of this. 

An article showed up in my news feed (thx AI) that the Kings wanted to "collect the debt" from Season 1, when Laura was in the hospital, and Andy had adopted Buddhism and prayed that Laura be spared and to take him instead.

I had completely forgotten about that scene.  But don't we just love how the Kings and the writers will follow up with a previous story line. The stuff about Sheryl wanting her transfusions, and Andy being in that room again. 

And the grief demon weighing them down, and watching while Kristen and Andy talk in the hospital room. 

How is this show cancelled? WTF Paramount?? 

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, SeanBug said:

How is this show cancelled? WTF Paramount?? 

From what I've been reading, Paramount might soon be cancelled.  But the Kings will live on!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Haven't finished the episode yet, but the baby in this episode is a lot smaller than the  baby in the  last one. The baby puking on Leland is so funny!

• Like 6
On 6/14/2024 at 2:32 PM, gail56 said:

Haven't finished the episode yet, but the baby in this episode is a lot smaller than the  baby in the  last one. The baby puking on Leland is so funny!

I did appreciate Baby AC's Exorcist levels of projective spewing quite a bit.  Maybe because it felt like a nod to the Exorcist and acknowledged the ridiculousness of the whole thing.  Still struggling with Suspiciously Clean and Ginormous Baby from last episode, but maybe the "He's the AC" logic will work if I rewatch it.  Good for Sheryl for extorting Leland before helping him.

And I'm so proud of poor, traumatized Andy.  Yikes.  Considering how deep Leland's claws are in him, that was impressive.  Deciding to vacate himself from his family is the best idea, but will it work as long as he's got his phone?  Leland can just call and Feliz him back to Kristin and the girls.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
38 minutes ago, Mari said:

I did appreciate Baby AC's Exorcist levels of projective spewing quite a bit.  Maybe because it felt like a nod to the Exorcist and acknowledged the ridiculousness of the whole thing.  Still struggling with Suspiciously Clean and Ginormous Baby from last episode, but maybe the "He's the AC" logic will work if I rewatch it.  Good for Sheryl for extorting Leland before helping him.

And I'm so proud of poor, traumatized Andy.  Yikes.  Considering how deep Leland's claws are in him, that was impressive.  Deciding to vacate himself from his family is the best idea, but will it work as long as he's got his phone?  Leland can just call and Feliz him back to Kristin and the girls.

I finished watching the episode, and that was so tense! I always spoil myself by reading here first as I hate being blindsided, so even though I knew that Andy would not inject Laura, he came SO CLOSE to doing it I still felt the tension! That was a very well done scene.

Yes, I hope Andy brings a burner phone or can't have a cell phone to the place he is going to. I also hope he survives, I adore him!

• Like 6
(edited)

The absolute terror I felt, like all of you, with that Andy and Laura bit!! I was instantaneously imagining all of the horrible outcomes--Kristen or one of the other girls waking to stop him in time but violently, actually succeeding and killing Laura, and exactly what actually did happen! Though I definitely thought he died right there, and imagine the girls waking to THAT :( 

I NEED everyone to know the truth about this by the end. I need Kristen to know Andy is not an addict and that Leland and her own mother made this happen. I need Sheryl to know Leland tried to murder her youngest granddaughter, because part of her still loves them a lot. I need ANDY to know he's not losing it! 

And why didn't the girls tell their mother about the phone call and Andy in the bathtub! 

I really, really need Leland to not make it out of this show. He's such a great character and sometimes incredibly amusing, but I could not loathe him any more right now.

In other news! Sister Andrea is the best, and that scene with her and Father Ignatius was just so so lovely. I just would've appreciated it slightly more if I wasn't so sure Andy was dead at that moment. 😜

OH and of course I forgot to mention the...forgetting plot. The way the three of them sounded just like me basically every day of my life is...not NOT concerning. heh.

Edited by snoopypez
  • Like 11
  • LOL 2
4 minutes ago, snoopypez said:

.Though I definitely thought he died right there, and imagine the girls waking to THAT :( 

I think that's part of why I got so emotional during that scene. I kept thinking about the girls waking up and seeing him like that, too, and also, in some ways, that possibility hit just a little too close to home for me, so...yeah. 

• Like 7
On 6/14/2024 at 1:58 PM, dshgr said:

From what I've been reading, Paramount might soon be cancelled.  But the Kings will live on!

I heard Sony and Peacock (probably Comcast) are looking at it. 

I guess Taylor Sheridan broke the bank.  

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
On 6/13/2024 at 8:02 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Poor Andy is reaching the levels of Poor Martha from The Americans.

I like Andy more this season, but I've never particularly cared for his character. Maybe it's because of the first season, when he so gleefully stayed away from home climbing while Kristen struggled with the four girls -- one of whom had a life-threatening heart condition. And it's not like the climbing business was making them rich. They were barely making ends meet.

But Poor Martha indeed. All she did was fall in love. And yes, she made poor decisions and was a little naive, but her life was completely destroyed. 

On 6/13/2024 at 6:52 PM, Madding crowd said:

Someone remind me what the infusions are and why she needs them? 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, topanga said:

I like Andy more this season, but I've never particularly cared for his character. Maybe it's because of the first season, when he so gleefully stayed away from home climbing while Kristen struggled with the four girls -- one of whom had a life-threatening heart condition. And it's not like the climbing business was making them rich. They were barely making ends meet.

But Poor Martha indeed. All she did was fall in love. And yes, she made poor decisions and was a little naive, but her life was completely destroyed. 

Someone remind me what the infusions are and why she needs them? 

Spoiler

When she seemed to be about to attack Leland, he injected her with something, and put her into a bath. (?) There was a rich guy, wooing her, and they were taking blood from people, and bathing in it. That's all I can remember. 

While Ben (Aasif Mandvi), David (Mike Colter), and Kristen (Katja Herbers) all have shadowy sidelines, Sheryl (Christine Lahti) appears to be the most enthusiastic. She is willing to give all for the cause. This took an alarming turn during “O Is for Ovaphobia,” when Sheryl was forcibly drained after being drugged in a bar. But the twists didn’t end there. The distinctly unhealthy looking light brown fluid which is being pumped into Sheryl to replace the blood loss is an elixir of life. The opening sequence makes it look like quite the addictive drug.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/evil-season-2-what-is-sheryl-pumping-into-her-veins/

I had been re-watching the first few seasons, and then stopped around episode 8, season 2, so I had to google. I put it under a spoiler tag, because there are usually rules about talking about episodes outside of their own threads. 

Edited by Anela
On 6/16/2024 at 11:19 AM, SeanBug said:

I heard Sony and Peacock (probably Comcast) are looking at it. 

Smart people. That’s encouraging. I hope someone picks it up. It’s too young (and good) to die.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, steph369 said:

Smart people. That’s encouraging. I hope someone picks it up. It’s too young (and good) to die.  

I think since Netflix has bought the show, they may be the only hope to get more seasons. FYI, Katja put a link in her IG to a Netflix survey, "what shows would you like to see". I put Seasons 3 and 4 and future seasons.  GO VOTE! 

http://help.netflix.com/en/titlerequest

I'd love it if someone bought it and fixed the app interface.

I'll pause a show and the little pop up ad appears (God for bid I don't see an ad for Progressive or a cancer drug that causes liver failure), but when I start the show again the ad stays and I have to fuck around pausing or going out of the show and back in to get rid of it. 

But the fact they cancel highly rated and beloved shows like Evil, but how many crappy movies, and ridiculous CSI/FBI shows they air and keep renewing. 

• Like 6

Best episode of the season so far.
Had some moments of evil pleasure with Leland's babysitting from hell, some entertaining with the amazing Sister Andrea going after the daemons, some moving with the talk about missing father Matt and one of the most frightening scenes of the whole show with Andy at his daughter's room. 
Plus, no Vatican idiots. Yay! 

• Like 4

I am so confused; how did Leland get the baby? Last we saw, Kristin was feeding him in the other hospital while the surrogate was sleeping. Did I miss something?

• Useful 1
10 minutes ago, Jordan61 said:

I am so confused; how did Leland get the baby? Last we saw, Kristin was feeding him in the other hospital while the surrogate was sleeping. Did I miss something?

Kristen was just there to help her. I think the mum was still working with Leland.  He’s also the father. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Anela said:

Kristen was just there to help her. I think the mum was still working with Leland.  He’s also the father. 

Now that I've watched the rest of the season I get what they were doing, but they really could've been clearer about it. Because it looked like she was really trying to get away from Leland & Sheryl and that Kristen took her to a different hospital.

• Like 2