Type keyword(s) to search

Rainbow Hearts and Unicorn Stickers: A Positivity Thread

• Start Topic

I tuned in because of the concept. I loved disney and fairy tales as a kid, so much so that I was horrified in university when I started reading about how detrimental the princess fantasy could be. I didn't want to believe it. My major life goal for at least a year (when I was 7) was to become a red-headed mermaid and I still turned into a sensible, independent, smart woman. Those authors had to be wrong... and then I started watching Say Yes to the Dress...

I watched the first episode and saw Josh Dallas fighting his way down the hall with baby Emma, swooned and got completely hooked. It wasn't only because that scene was very swoon-worthy, which it was, but also because it was a show saying that being a father, and men being there for their babies is important. Then I met Snow (who is 100x smarter than in her source story) and Emma, the reluctant princess, and Ruby and Granny and Rumple, all characters who, especially in their early days, felt like people, not a walking bundle of stereotypes with pretty hair. 

And I can't do hearts and unicorns without huge shout-outs to Josh, Collin and Jennifer (with honorable mentions to Robert C.) I am so impressed every week by their facial expressions and reaction shots. They've all managed to go so far beyond what the script has given them that I can get completely lost in the moment. I believe that Charming is the loving father of a daughter his own age and that Hook is a pirate who is completely in love with the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming. I can see Emma struggle to figure out who she is between her lost girl childhood and extremely weird parentage and I love almost every minute of it. I've watched the end of 3A so many times and I get teary each and every time because Jennifer, Josh and Collin just kill that good-bye scene. Are there plot holes galore? Absolutely. Do I care when Charming gives Emma the forehead kiss and Emma is so close to losing it? Not a bit.

Bring on Season 4!

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 8

I love the town of Storybrooke so much I'd move there. Besides all the magic mumbo jumbo, I really like the setting, sights, and the small-town feel. I also love all the trees, old-style buildings and estates, etc. Some day I'd like to visit Steveston, BC and see it all in person!

• Love 2

I really like the setting as well.  Sometimes, I have mixed feelings about shows set in places I'm familiar with (like when they filmed "Alcatraz" in Vancouver and I couldn't imagine it was San Francisco at all), but visiting Steveston does feel more special now.  Seeing it on film, the way it was portrayed in the Pilot, made it into a more interesting and mysterious-looking place than I had previously envisioned it to be.  Only a block and a half of one street feels like Storybrooke (the "Main Street" portion, minus the CGI clocktower).  All the other locations are quite spread out around the region, with many in the suburbs. 

• Love 3

This show has the wackiest and wrongest adoption triad ever and as mom initially through adoption I tend to avoid that kind of show. However, the wrongness of the adoption had made it easier, I think, for my daughter and I to talk about things. Some more PC stories don't leave much room for conversation and the opinions of one part of the triad is often left out. At any rate when my kiddo tries the "You're not my mom!" thing I've gotten so much milage out of Regina's line "I've changed every diaper, soothed every fever, endured every tantrum. I may not have given birth to you but I am your mother."  :)

• Love 3

I agree. I'm surprised by how much I'm loving all the Frozen stuff, considering I have not seen Frozen.

I'm loving the Frozen stuff more than I thought I would. I've seen the film and I'm not a fan of it, so I was quite against this storyline, so I'm really surprised.

• Love 2

I have to say I really enjoyed the first two episodes of this season. If the writing stays strong it might pass 3A as my favorite arc after season 1.

I'm loving this arc so far. This time there's actually a mystery, which we really haven't had much of since S1. Frozen is really carrying the weight of the show, and it's doing a great job of it. Elizabeth Mitchell's entrance was so epic. We don't usually get that much subtly on the show.

• Love 1

I have to say I really enjoyed the first two episodes of this season. If the writing stays strong it might pass 3A as my favorite arc after season 1.

Same here, which would be quite a feat since I've been rewatching 3A on DVD, including the commentaries for 3x02 and 3x08 and gah, that Neverland arc! It's not perfect by any means, but damn did the general ideas and basic concept the writers base it around come through and pay off so well. I enjoy each episode to some degree. "Therapy Island", as one of the writers put it, was just what the characters and show needed so badly at that point in time.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 2

I groaned when I first heard about the Frozen additions, and now I love it. Elsa and Anna were cast perfectly and I want them around forever. And Henry's comment about being down to own mother and refusing to go lower than that cracked me up, as did his yelling that he missed his room. And don't even like Henry. I usually want Henry and Carl Grimes to be fed to mutant unicorns.

• Love 2

I usually want Henry and Carl Grimes to be fed to mutant unicorns.

That's a  . . . really specific fate you have in mind, there.  ; )  (I have no room to point fingers.  I had to stop watching TWD when I started rooting for the zombies during season 1.)

I love that Once is not afraid to go to extremes with the fairytale costumes--even though I don't always like the costumes, they're always interesting.

I like that they're not afraid to come up with storylines and characters that are completely ridiculous-sounding and take risks with it--even if it doesn't work out.  For example, I snickered for days over  Warlord Bo Peep.

I like that actual family is important on this show.  So many shows pretty much ignore a characters actual family, and go for Coworkers Family, this one does actual families--adopted and otherwise.

I like that the male characters take fatherhood seriously, and are not treated like lechers or idiots simply because they are fathers and/or male.  I like that (for the most part.  I know there are some exceptions.) they are represented as people that respect the women they are involved with.

I like that it's a fantasy, with magic and dragons and swords.  I like that happy endings are considered seriously possible (even though I wish some of the characters had to earn his/hers).  There's enough real life in my real life, and it's nice to see magic and hope. 

• Love 5
I simply love Georgina Haig as Elsa. That's yet another casting decision done amazingly well!

She has this quality I find where the emotions come through her eyes which I by the way find really stunning (hate her!) 

I find her extremely graceful as well.  I really wish she wasn't Elsa because I'd love to keep her on the show.  But alas...

• Love 2

Even the way she holds her hands is spot on. 

One of the things I loved about The Princess Bride and it took me years to appreciate was how earnest all the actors were with their characters. There are a lot of other fairy tale take offs that wink at you because they are so silly but not Once. 

• Love 2

In lieu of a new episode tonight, I wanted to revive this thread with a shout out to Elizabeth Mitchell and the Dairy Queen character. She plays so well against just about every other actor/character on the show (though especially Robert Carlyle/Rumple). I love her weird ice palace/cave thing. I love her evil ice cream truck. I love her ridiculous outfits. I love that she is actually clever and manipulative in a way that makes sense and works. I love that they haven't tried to make her snarky or full of zingers like most of the villains -- she's just calm and menacing.

The canon Frozen characters have been fun and are well cast, but I think EM/DQ is really what has made this the best half-season in a while (unless they really eff things up things up in the next few weeks). I'm pretty bummed that she'll probably be gone in a couple episodes.

• Love 5

I'm full of whine when it comes to this show, but I really miss it tonight.

EM has been such an incredibly bright spot this half-season.  So Retrograde, your whole entire post and I'll raise you the Rumple/DQ scenes which have been so very fabulous and Carlyle doesn't seem to phone it in this season thus far.  Rumple/DQ scenes have been so much more than I expected and then some.  Last week when she threatened him and told him she maybe she'd decorate her Fortress of Solitude with his bones, the way she stood inches from his face and used her effective quiet voice as she threatened him was such a highlight for me this season.  Outside of Emma/Hook's scenes which I generally really enjoy, Rumple/DQ in their scenes have totally stolen the show for me.

There was also that scene when Emma blew up the station, the look on DQ's face, crazy/gleeful look was just priceless. 

All that to say that I did not expect this from EM and I was dreading her being cast just because I hate how they keep bringing in the Lost veterans.  But jeebus she has been absolutely fantastic. 

• Love 3

I love that she goes barefoot instead of wearing 6 inch heels. How do people not break their ankles in those, anyway?

I love her creepy calm and quiet voice.

I love that she threatens Rumple credibly, and so far has gotten away with it.

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 2
I love her creepy calm and quiet voice.

And then the rare moments when she totally drops the breathy, airy quality and gets gritty for a few words. I flinch even safely on my sofa.

I'm the rare person who wasn't crazy about movie Elsa, but I love, love, love TV Elsa. She still has that slightly icy, aloof quality, but there's also a warmth to her. And as a bonus, she has actual self awareness and takes responsibility -- there was refusing to accept thanks for undoing the situation she got Emma into, and then there was her telling Emma that the responsibility for controlling their magic isn't on the people who love them, but on them. It's like there's an entirely different team of people writing Elsa than writing the rest of this show.

• Love 2

Yeah, for me, Elsa is the biggest gem in this half season, and I wasn't big on the movie Elsa either.  She's been great in the present-day stuff with Emma (and the rare scene she has had with others), and she has been equally effective in the flashback Arendelle material with Kristoff and Anna.  

• Love 2

The scene where the Snow Queen threatens to decorate her ice palace with Rumple's bones is one of my favorite scenes of S4. After all the twisted acts Rumple has been pulling this season, her saying "And I have a warning for you - don't underestimate it!" with a raised voice made me happy inside.

• Love 1

yes count me in as someone who is absolutely loving how Elizabeth Mitchell is playing the Snow Queen.  I loved her scenes with Emma in the police station - she knew exactly what to say to Emma to bring out all her insecurities.  But most of all I love her scenes with Rumple - she is one of the few people who I think could actually beat Rumple, and it is so good to see Rumple being outplayed by someone else for a change.  

• Love 2

I am glad that this show is around because I get to see good acting. The main cast has won me since the pilot and the greater portion of the recurring and guest cast have been very good.

There have been some delicious lines uttered by all.

I love old school VW Bugs, so Emma's bug is a sentimental favorite.

Even when I am sad/angry about what has been scripted, there are gems here.

I want the Evil Queen's wardrobe.

• Love 2

As long as Once's mid-season hiatus is, the haphazard programming this time of year -- where shows return for an episode or two followed by random weeks off for no obvious reason -- reminds me how much I enjoy the largely uninterrupted half seasons.

• Love 3

[deep breath] I had to come in here for a breath of fresh air. The spoiler thread is such a downer. I am looking forward to the rest of the season, because I actually enjoy this show still.

Writing Wrongs, I'm looking forward to it too! At the very least, I can count on this show to keep me entertained, and I love most of the main cast.

• Love 2

[OT]I've long found judging upcoming things based upon spoilers to be very iffy. I can't tell you how many times when I was watching Charmed that my spoilered friends would angrily flip their shit over some spoiler or another only to be all, "Oh, that wasn't nearly as rage-inducing as the spoilers made it seem" when the episode aired. Things get changed from script to screen and from takes to final product, and especially in Adam and Eddy's interviews, they'll say things that make a plot point seem like a big honkin' deal only to have it actually be a couple of lines. So, yeah, I don't even look for spoilers, mostly because I like not knowing what's going to happen but also because it seems like they're all pretty much grains of salt.[/OT]

I'm also looking forward to the return of the show. I'm definitely at the "omg I need new material now plzkthx" part of hiatus. I miss Captain Swan and the Charmings.

• Love 4

I'm looking forward to the rest of this season. I care about the characters I'm invested in. This show delivers some amazing things, and that's what I'm coming back to see. I love spoilers, but can't see getting discouraged by them just yet. I want to see the end product before I render judgment.

• Love 2

Looking forward to it still. I love spoilers but the ones we have been getting are much slimmer than usual. Maybe this will keep my expectations low. Thinking of that hug outside the police station that wasn't.

So I gotta say, despite all the trepidation regarding new spoilers, I'm so excited that I only have to wait two weeks for my show to be back on. I was literally fanboying when stills were released and I didn't realize how much I've missed my Sunday night addiction hour. Bring on 4b!

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 4

I will be forever thankful to A&E for giving us the the CaptainSwan date in 4.04 and especially the scenes between Emma and her parents before and after her date.. 

And I am so over this hiatus it's not even funny anymore - bring on the 1st March!

• Love 2

I can't wait to see what they do with those pineapples and green olives!

Seriously though, I sometimes feel like I'm the only one not put off by any of the spoilers. Maybe those stills of everyone at Granny's put a happy spell on me.

For me, it's not put off as much as suspicious.  Yeah, I think that's the word, suspicious.  And no, I'm not the paranoid type.

ETA - Didn't realize which thread I was replying in, so something positive....

Those CS stills are pretty awesome.  I am looking forward to the second half of the season starting.  This time, my friend and I will be watching the episodes together.  Kick the husbands out and have a girls evening.  So, if anything, looking forward to that!

Edited by YaddaYadda

For me, it's not put off as much as suspicious.  Yeah, I think that's the word, suspicious.  And no, I'm not the paranoid type.

I can understand that. We've seen a lot of dumb decisions in the past. Do I think this will be the most awesomest season ever? Hell, no.

I've mostly been cautiously optimistic I guess (yeah, I'm Snow White in real life). But now: CaptainSwan! Snowing! Pineapples!

• Love 1

My friend and I have been doing that for a while now. We have a blast. We even do theme nights when we are expecting good Captain Swan. We had rum laced hot chocolate with cinnamon one time. We have had tacos. We have had coffee. Now we're planning our pineapple feast.

We should do a live thread sometime. If not the premier, then the finale. We can all bring something. I'll bring Fireball whiskey and RumChata.

• Love 1

We should do a live thread sometime.

That would be so awesome! I'd love to see all the knee-jerk reactions from the people on this forum. Sometimes I'll crack up during the show just thinking about the comments here. Mostly during Woegina moments and giant contrivances.