Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: A New Home And A Traditional Texas Torture

• Start Topic

I just figured out the distance from fictional Medford to real Houston: it's about 70 miles. So it stands to reason that anyone going to Medford would land in Houston.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

All of the actors in the closing scene were amazing but Rex Linn really took the cake.

As the one delivering the "he's gone" line, he had to sell it. And wow, did he. I imagine they gave him drops and used makeup, but his eyes were red from crying and his face was absolutely distraught. 

• Like 14
17 hours ago, shipmate said:

I’m just gonna say it. Although I really enjoyed the Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon is just a far far better show.

Interesting thought.  I'm not so sure I would go that far.  Despite the fact that they share a central character, they are very different shows, it's like an apples and origins comparison.  BBT was more of a fun show, Young Sheldon has more drama.  I do think Young Sheldon has been more consistent, and considering it has lasted seven seasons, I don't think the quality has dropped off at all.  Which is quite an accomplishment in itself.

• Like 9
29 minutes ago, rmontro said:

it's like an apples and origins comparison.  BBT was more of a fun show, Young Sheldon has more drama. 

My favorite typo/auto-incorrect  of all time! Totally works here. 👏

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
23 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Such a hard hitting ending to this episode.  I lost my father due to an out of nowhere heart attack so can totally relate to Sheldon there.

Sudden fatal heart attacks were common among middle-aged men through the 90s, leaving behind terrible grief and trauma to so many families, as many here seem to recall. 
By the 2000s, emergency multiple bypass surgeries turned a lot of those would-be tragedies around.
De-popularization of cigarette smoking and popularization of exercise and healthy foods helped too.

• Like 6
(edited)
27 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

By the 2000s, emergency multiple bypass surgeries turned a lot of those would-be tragedies around.
De-popularization of cigarette smoking and popularization of exercise and healthy foods helped too.

Another big help in this area was the way defibrillators started to become more commonly situated in schools, municipal buildings and the like.  A close friend had a heart attack at a hockey arena a few years back and them having a defibrillator there (and someone who knew how to use it) saved his life.

Edited by Dimity
  • Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

They can just leave the family back together post Germany, at the end of the summer.  I don't need or want a summation.  We've had a few voiceovers from adult Sheldon, Amy and Raj I think? Or was it Leonard? 

Those suffice for me to tie this show to BBT.  I say let it be. 

And I'm in the other camp.  I WANTED the shows to tie into each other perfectly at the end.  And now they are doing it.  I would have felt cheated it George didn't die because that is key to Sheldon's future. 

So bravo show for finally taking enough time to get us out of the horror of a Georgie and his wife - whatever the hell that annoying character's name is - crappy sitcom set-up I've had to sit though half of this season.  Get us back FINALLY to Young SHELDON and one of the most important events in HIS life as well as his family's.  Bravo!

And I do want a long monologue at the end like Sheldon's at the Nobel Prize awards in TBBT.  Only Jim Parsons can pull off the final scene next week for me.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Skooma said:

…I WANTED the shows to tie into each other perfectly at the end.…And I do want a long monologue at the end like Sheldon's at the Nobel Prize awards in TBBT.  Only Jim Parsons can pull off the final scene next week for me.

I trust that if Iain Armitage does a closing voiceover, you will be okay with it.
But I agree that it does seem Jim Parsons' voice would nicely bookend the series.

1 hour ago, Skooma said:

finally taking enough time to get us out of the horror of a Georgie and his wife - whatever the hell that annoying character's name is - crappy sitcom set-up I've had to st though half of this season. 

The Georgie and Mandie spinoff setup probably was the most writing any spinoff has ever received within the originating show. Or maybe it just seemed that way. 
I don't know what the proportion of failed spinoffs is, but it's probably pretty high.
However, Chuck Lorre Productions knows its stuff, so maybe it was worth them sinking so much into the new series at the expense of YS's final season's screen time. 
And given the stellar job they did on this weeks's story, I can't find fault with their choices in key plot development.

• Like 3
(edited)

I’m just gonna say it. Although I really enjoyed the Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon is just a far far better show.

Blasphemy! 

In all seriousness, TBBT was a true comedy and YS has become, over the last few seasons a dramedy with some funny lines and some irony, but is not, in any way, as out loud funny as TBT.  While I prefer TBBT, YMMV

Edited by AriAu
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2

I'm happy with the way the last few episodes have unfolded. The fact that George's death has caused such a reaction is testimony to what a great job the writers and Lance Barber have done with the character. I'll add that it was pretty gutsy for the producers to go there, knowing it would be a divisive subject and knowing they were ending a show on a sad note. I respect everyone who would've preferred a voiceover but I'm not sure that would've had the same impact. I feel like we needed to see the family's reactions to the news, especially Sheldon's. I'm assuming the funeral episode will give us a final good-bye to the Coopers and supporting cast members. I think I might actually cry more over that than I did George's passing. 

• Like 8
  • Hugs 1
On 5/11/2024 at 3:17 PM, shapeshifter said:

Sudden fatal heart attacks were common among middle-aged men through the 90s, leaving behind terrible grief and trauma to so many families, as many here seem to recall. 

My best male friend is one of those middle aged men that survived a "widow maker" heart attack in 2004 because of those new procedures.  He is still with us today, although he has had a few close calls since then, also helped by those new procedures.

And that's probably one of the reasons it's taken me so long to read this thread and reply.  It hits close to home.  Losing my father to Covid is another.  

I liked that the show set it up so that the whole family was pretty much together when they got the news.  As soon as George left that day the whole situation felt fraught somehow.  The setup of getting ready for the photo made the impact all the more jarring.  I had originally thought they might not get us so up close with it and mention it in a voiceover at the end of the series, but I think this does more justice to George the character and the family as well.  And the audience, too.  It's more realistic and meaningful, and in this age of TV not being much of either one, that's something I value and don't take for granted.  I am actually grateful they did it this way.  I have been waiting for YEARS for this moment and I am glad they didn't take it away from us.  Somehow the pain is worth it to have that closure.  I think we needed that closure that having to face this gives us. 

• Like 8
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I liked that the show set it up so that the whole family was pretty much together when they got the news.…
The setup of getting ready for the photo made the impact all the more jarring. 

Thanks for pointing out these bits of impactful writing that I acutely felt without feeling manipulated or like they were unlikely scenarios.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
On 5/10/2024 at 3:17 PM, JayDub1987 said:

I hope that’s the case. During last weeks episode, the commercial said “with 3 episodes left….” And we had 2 this week. I’d like another full hour to tie everything up. 

My cable system lists it as 2 episodes but it could easily be a two-part finale.

On 5/10/2024 at 9:36 PM, Dimity said:

Which, based on the upcoming spin off, does not happen.

No reason why that can't still happen.  Maybe he and Mandy will have to move it with Mary and MIssy or maybe his help won't involve them actually living in the same house.

• Like 2
On 5/11/2024 at 4:12 PM, Skooma said:

And I do want a long monologue at the end like Sheldon's at the Nobel Prize awards in TBBT.  Only Jim Parsons can pull off the final scene next week for me.

Whereas I really don't want that.  I thought it sucked on TBBT.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

No reason why that can't still happen.  Maybe he and Mandy will have to move it with Mary and MIssy or maybe his help won't involve them actually living in the same house.

Reagan has said that she is not appearing in the spin off and that she is ready to move on. so unless they recast Missy, we’re not gonna see Georgie and Mandy back to cohabitating with his mother.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
8 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Reagan has said that she is not appearing in the spin off and that she is ready to move on. so unless they recast Missy, we’re not gonna see Georgie and Mandy back to cohabitating with his mother.

And if we don't see Missy we're not going to be seeing Mary.  At least not as a regular cast member anyway.  Sure Georgie can still help his Mom and sister, no reason why not.  But it's not going to be the "I held the family together" version Georgie gave on BBT.  Supportive I can see happening - but if they do that it's going to be offscreen with Georgie occasionally commenting on stuff going on for Mary, Missy and MeeMaw.  

It will be interesting to see how much Sheldon and the other Coopers will be referenced or if they will use the spin off to create a new cast and move Georgie and Mandy away from the YS universe.

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I forgot about that.

(edited)

The version of the show with Georgie helping his mom, and Mary and Missy still around, sounds better to me than some version where it's Georgie and Mandy off by themselves somewhere. 

But I think they could do that latter version without a retcon, by doing a time jump.

If it's 5 years in the future, they will have a kid who walks, talks, and has kid-based plotlines, not an infant.

And by then, presumably Missy and Mary will be more back to independent functioning, and less in need of Georgie's help.

The other virtue of a time jump is that it is more likely to get Georgie and Mandy living at their own polace, which should mean we don't have to suffer through Mandy's sour mother all the time. 

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 5
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 5/9/2024 at 9:19 PM, bad things are bad said:

Poor George.  Finally getting his dream job and a wife who's OK with moving.  Random universe,  indeed

Life is cruel for a lot of us😞

• Sad 8
On 5/10/2024 at 3:48 AM, Armchair Critic said:

Same here, relating to the feeling from when my father unexpectedly died from a heart attack. I teared up at the end of the show and I'm tearing up again reading the posts here. Funny how a tv character can effect you like that. Good writing and good acting because the characters felt like the people I grew up with, I would have been about Missy's age back then.

Same here too.  My life changed that day irreparably. Orphaned as young adult. Some ptsd watching this show. At least there is a big support group there. Something I didn’t have. 

• Hugs 10
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

But I think they could do that latter version without a retcon, by doing a time jump.

I think they will have to do a time jump, they can't pick up right after George's death I don't feel.  But I think more likely 6 months later kind of thing when the first grief has worn off.

• Like 1
On 5/11/2024 at 2:54 PM, shapeshifter said:

My favorite typo/auto-incorrect  of all time! Totally works here. 👏

I'm sure the mistake was mine.  Since it apparently works, and I've already been humiliated, I will leave it up.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Life is cruel for a lot of us😞

It really is. We had a family friend who beat cancer at 17. A month after getting a clean bill of health, he broke his neck diving into a river and died. Reading some of the personal stories here, I'm truly sorry for anyone who lost a loved one suddenly and tragically. Life can be so unfair. 

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 5

I agree with Annie Potts in her recent interview that the show could have gone on, perhaps with a different title. The show became about more than Sheldon and made me care about the extended family and their circle. I like that it was a dramedy without a live audience. It would be interesting to see how Mary and Missy carry on after George’s death, along with the lives of the other characters. I’d rather watch that show than an audience comedy with Georgie and Mandy. But I’ll still give the Georgie spin-off a chance.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

I agree with Annie Potts in her recent interview that the show could have gone on, perhaps with a different title.

"Old Meemaw"?

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
9 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Is it too soon to set up a forum for the new program?

Based upon results for a google for
     Georgie & Mandy’s First Marriage
I don't think it's too early.

Here's how:

• Useful 1

After reading all of the posts this past week, I'm convinced that most of us are going through the 5 stages of grief with this show!   A little humor for our sorrow!

• Denial:  They're going to fix this, right?  George can't be dead.
  • Anger: WTF?  George is dead?  The show can't be ending! How can they do this to us?  
  • Bargaining:  Please, Chuck Lorre, fix this so that George is okay and the family lives happily ever after.  We'll set up a Go Fund Me page to keep the show going!!
  • Depression:  I feel so bad.  What am I going to do on Thursday nights now without my YS fix?  
  • Acceptance:  Well, it's over.  The show had a good run but it's time to move on.  
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

George died happy, optimistic about his future and with his friends around him.  Many people have far less at the end. 

They could have just re-named the show "Sheldon's Family".  That would have widened the scope a bit & allowed references to everybody not seen on screen and drop-ins by current cast members if desired.  

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Chit Chat said:

Acceptance:  Well, it's over.  The show had a good run but it's time to move on. 

Next up..?

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, SnapHappy said:

George died happy, optimistic about his future and with his friends around him.  Many people have far less at the end. 

I like this.  I hear this sentiment all the time when someone dies accidentally doing something they love "It's how he would have wanted to go" being the go to phrase that get used.  And with George I do think that's true, of course it's sad he died when things seemed to be about to fall into place for him, but at least he died knowing his life's work had been appreciated.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I had a former co-worker who died suddenly from a  heart attack. She was out for dinner with her son and boom, it hit. She was about 50. As far as I  know, she was in good shape and took care of herself. Sometimes, you just don't know. 

On 5/13/2024 at 7:00 PM, BitterApple said:

It really is. We had a family friend who beat cancer at 17. A month after getting a clean bill of health, he broke his neck diving into a river and died. Reading some of the personal stories here, I'm truly sorry for anyone who lost a loved one suddenly and tragically. Life can be so unfair. 

Growing up, there was a woman in our neighborhood who beat brain cancer. Several years later, she died in the plane crash (along with her small daughter) of United Airlines 232 in Sioux City Iowa. I remember it was in our local papers. 

• Sad 3

Mary to ER Nurse: Enough questions. He's a fat, middle-aged man with chest pains. Do something!

Coincidentally our local station that airs reruns of Young Sheldon just showed the season one episode where George has a heart attack.  I think anyone who was unaware of George's fate because they weren't watchers of BBT probably got a foreshadowing moment with this one.

• Like 2
On 5/11/2024 at 2:26 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

I was hoping the adult Sheldon would wake up and find he was in bed with Suzanne Pleshette.

LOL! 

I had a similar thought!

I told my husband I thought Young Sheldon was adult Sheldon telling Amy about his childhood to make a point in an argument the two were having. 

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 8:31 AM, MarthaEllisanne said:

I agree with Annie Potts in her recent interview that the show could have gone on, perhaps with a different title. The show became about more than Sheldon and made me care about the extended family and their circle.

I've been enjoying this show less and less as Sheldon got more Sheldon-like, but I caught up on these last few episodes, and this one devastated me. When Missy said no to the ride, I had a brief thought about how cute she and her dad used to be together, and then, as others have said, as soon as George walked out the door, I knew. 

For the last few years I've loved everybody BUT Sheldon on this show. I would have been up to at least try the show moving forward without him. I don't care much about Georgie and Mandy. 

But it's true that Missy and George were my favorites, so maybe I wouldn't have thought it worked, anyway. 

I cried my eyes out. 

eta: I don't remember who mentioned the interview (eyes swollen!!!) but I was surprised at how much higher Lance's real voice is. 

Edited by Dirge
  • Like 4