Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Punch Card

• Start Topic

TUESDAY, MAY 7, 9:00-10:00 p.m. EDT 

After a mafia-related mass casualty, the team is tasked to keep the peace at the hospital. Lucy and Celina work together to investigate the suspects behind the attack. Meanwhile, Tim and Aaron embark on a metro ops mission.

Ridonkulous Monica kicks herself down the stairs, shoots kidnapper dude in the foot, and then pistol-whips herself. Because of course she does. This character is exhausting. How does the show pretend not to know that?

• Like 10
9 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Ridonkulous Monica kicks herself down the stairs, shoots kidnapper dude in the foot, and then pistol-whips herself. Because of course she does. This character is exhausting. How does the show pretend not to know that?

I got the sense that with the compromised shrink under the thumb of "Ridonkulous Monica" (love that Monica moniker!) the writers are pulling out all the crazy pants stops before wrapping up Monica for good.
Or at least I hope so.
I mean, at least sentenced to Life w/out parole, since she's clearly a walking menace. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

That psychologist just kept turning up in places she shouldn’t be…I knew she was up to no good.

And now horrible Monica has just straight up murdered somebody. I’m pretty sure the Bar Association frowns on that sort of thing. 

So is this the last we hear about Nolan and Bailey having a baby? Good lord, I hope so. And of course Bailey decides she has fertility issues after they’ve been trying for , what, two months? And of course, she’s right. 

Poor Tim…it really hasn’t been his day, his week, his month or even his year. And somehow I doubt that sketchy shrink is going to be much help. Go back to Lucy, you fool!

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I doubt that sketchy shrink is going to be much help

I don't understand why he is going to her in the first place. He definitely needs help but they specifically warned Aaron that she's loyal to the department not him. I can see the initial meeting if he thought he needed immediate help but beyond that it seems like a not great idea even if she wasn't evil adjacent at best.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

Apparently North Hollywood is an undesirable place to be stationed. How is it different from other places in the L.A. area?

• Like 3
(edited)

Please let this be the beginning of the end for Monica.  I get her wanting to know who wanted her taken out (because of course there's a line of possibilities) but the whole injuring herself more to go to the hospital and interagate the perp only to then turn around and murder him when he wouldn't talk.  Ugh.  You shot him in both feet and he wouldn't talk, at that point, let it go because no way another hitman isn't going to come your way.

But Monica is also mixed up with what went down with the metro ops team?  Not to mention the psychiatrist who kept popping up where she had no business being and the cop who threw himself off the building which of course Tim is going to get blamed for (which of course Lucy will insert herself all up into the investigation).  What nonsense is this?

So now Bailey is off the having a baby train because she doesn't want to spend the money on IVF?  Okay, you just know she's going to get pregnant when she least expects it but whatever.  Tim and Lucy, meh, don't care, never did.  It was nice to see the dog though. 

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Driad said:

Apparently North Hollywood is an undesirable place to be stationed. How is it different from other places in the L.A. area?

For our folks in Mid Wilshire Division they would have to commute to the San Fernando Valley, a so called freeway demotion. Although most real life cops don't live in the city like TV cops and would be closer to North Hollywood than needing to cross through downtown to get to work.

A retired LAPD officer once told me that of all the actual LAPD divisions it would be the most diverse in demographics and income distribution high to very low to  set a LAPD based show. I think that it would be the actual Wilshire Division west of The Rookie due to more Black people in the basin versus the valley.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Please let this be the beginning of the end for Monica.  I get her wanting to know who wanted her taken out (because of course there's a line of possibilities) but the whole injuring herself more to go to the hospital and interagate the perp only to then turn around and murder him when he wouldn't talk. Ugh. 

First Rosalind the Unending, now Ridonkulous Monica. Was Alexi Hawley bitten by a little red-haired girl or something when he was a kid? He’s like the bitter version of Charlie Brown. 

My guess is RM will try to mess up Wesley and Angela will have to shoot her in the head. Twice, just to be on the safe side. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
2 minutes ago, Sandman said:

First Rosalind the Unending, now Ridonkulous Monica. Was Alexi Hawley bitten by a little red-haired girl or something when he was a kid? He’s like the bitter version of Charlie Brown. 

My guess is RM will try to mess up Wesley and Angela will have to shoot her in the head. Twice, just to be on the safe side. 

In your list of lame wannabe supervillains, you forgot Elijah, who I feared for a moment might be mentioned by the perp who attacked Monica before she snuffed him out. This show really stumbles when it tries to create season arc long villains . 

• Like 8

Sgt. Grey is a closeted Chenford shipper!

A birthday card via Kojo is a cute gesture but Aaron undeniably gives the best (and thoughtful) birthday present to Lucy.

It's very annoying that Monica has never faced any consequences of her unethical & questionable actions. This redhead lawyer is exhausting and she needs to be dealt with, pronto.

spacer.png

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

It's very annoying that Monica has never faced any consequences of her unethical & questionable actions. This redhead lawyer is exhausting and she needs to be dealt with, pronto.

I think showing her shooting a guy in the feet and then killing him in his hospital bed was to prepare us to cheer when she gets offed
— even if it's Bailey fatally clunking Ridonkulous Monica on the head with a flower pot.

• LOL 4
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I think showing her shooting a guy in the feet and then killing him in his hospital bed was to prepare us to cheer when she gets offed...

I'm entirely on board with her shooting the guy in the foot. But perhaps the air bubble in the IV was going a little far.

• LOL 2

My vision is not great and I have more trouble telling characters apart on this show than any other, specifically the many brunette women. I can usually recognize Nyla Harper and Celina Juarez, but sometimes I can't recognize the others unless there is a closeup. (I do recognize the redhead, and hope she will vanish soon.)

• Like 2

I had this horrible thought while I was watching this:  a spinoff "Monica Vs Bailey".
Terrifying, right??

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
20 hours ago, Driad said:

Coming back because it is an obscure reference that would probably only be understood by someone from the Southland. I can only think of Jimmy Kimmel's ex wingman podcaster Adam Carolla telling stories about growing up living under welfare in North Hollywood that might be a key for others.

As in The Shield, The Rookie made up a fictional police division and then used real life divisions and place names to surround it.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 5/8/2024 at 4:24 PM, Msample said:

In your list of lame wannabe supervillains, you forgot Elijah

Well, I prefer to think about Elijah as little as possible, but I was focusing on the annoying redheads and their toilsome perfidy.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

This guy didn't talk and then Monica killed him why? Someone walked into a hospital with a firearm? They all have metal detectors and I would think there were three or four cops at the entrance checking everyone. Even tall Albanian looking women.  Silly me for trying to figure of the logic of this show.

• Like 1

All of the recurring villains on the show have been caricatures.  Some more than others, but all are caricatures.  I include Camille Guaty (forgot her character's name - the South American drug kingpin who had a hard-on for Lopez and killed Jackson) and Oscar in this list.  This approach has to be intentional, but it is so stupid.  Nothing the villains do feels earned and there is no credibility.  We all just watch impossible, annoying things happen as the police rack up loss after loss until Alexi Hawley decides he's ready to squash his mustache-twirling representation of someone who wronged him in the past.

I knew Dr. London was in cahoots with Monica.  I hope they find out that Monica used to babysit for Blair as a child and sunk her hooks into her then.  Babysitting was a front for Monica to steal jewelry and expensive things from families; finding a protege was an extra boon.

Aaron is probably the least likely person to be wearing inadequate deodorant.  He is the most image conscious and the biggest spender on hygiene of everyone.

• Like 8

Just checked into this forum, I’ve been watching The Rookie since the first ep, but finally wanted to comment on what a trainwreck it’s become.

First of all, I ff through any scenes that are just Jon and Bailey, their segments and plot line are like a 🤮 Hallmark show. Can’t stand Bailey’s whining bitch character and Jon now plays her lapdog. He’s one of those guys who are so nice they’re just icky

And I’ve never seen a shows characters be able to teleport themselves all over a very busy city at the snap of a finger, here there and everywhere in seconds, not to mention the entire cast converging on EVERY fucking crime scene almost simultaneously 

I mainly watch still watch for Lopez (and hubs) and think Angela and Maya/Myla (I’m terrible with names) should have a spinoff, I’d watch that

Also sticking around for the inevitable Lucy/Tim wedding just to see what ridiculous bullshit happens there and who will get kidnapped this time

Loved the first three seasons, after that it’s been mostly wtf

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)

The turncoat therapist was right thought, Tim is totally avoidant. Lucy is secure and if he wants to grow he'll go back to her.  I never thought I'd be a Tim/Lucy shipper but here we are, lol. 

On a shallow note, Bailey's nose is so aggressively nose-jobbed it distracts me from every scene she's in.

I'd be so mad if I got a bill after having to endure danger/ shoot out hospital.

Edited by Soobs
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Soobs said:

The turncoat therapist was right though, Tim is totally avoidant.

Well, just because she's unprincipled, sinister or compromised doesn't mean she's not smarter than these noodleheads.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 1:20 PM, Sandman said:

One can only hope.

I hate these season long (and more) evil villain stories. Seems like there's enough to work with without dragging that crap into the show.

I am so tired of Bailey showing up every damn where. And the baby blues don't interest me. Of course she'll get pregnant naturally, because difficult doesn't mean impossible. Then at some point Lucy, right? Because every woman on the show needs to have a baby. I'd prefer the silly attempts to make a actress not look like she's pregnant, because then you don't have a kid that has to be part of the drama throughout the rest of the series.

(which doesn't mean I don't sympathize with women who are considering IVF, or even the actresses having babies, I had a couple of my own. I'm just not interested in it in a police procedural)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 5/8/2024 at 4:20 PM, Sandman said:

Maybe the babysitter can shoot her in the head? Twice?

• Like 2

You know, I wonder if someone in the writers room hates redheads? Or maybe the casting director? First we had the wonderful Annie Wersching and now we have Evil Redheaded Lawyer whose name I don't remember, so now I will refer to her as ERL.

when did ERL learn all of those moves? Did she attend some Karate lessons at Miyagi-Do? Since if she had gone to Cobra Kai, she would've just punched air into his veins while he was in her house.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bros402 said:

I wonder if someone in the writers room hates redheads? Or maybe the casting director? First we had the wonderful Annie Wersching and now we have Evil Redheaded Lawyer

I figure the second redheaded 👩🏻‍🦰 villain 🦹‍♀️ is some sort of attempt at an homage to Annie Wersching — to keep her character alive.

4 hours ago, bros402 said:

she would've just punched air into his veins while he was in her house.

She seemingly waited to kill him until after she had all the information he was going to give (zip) about who sent him. 

• Like 1

Two mothers, each needing a nanny, competing to hire the same person. Then they have the BRILLIANT idea of sharing one nanny!  

The exact same subplot on the Rookie and the Good Doctor, in the same week. Lazy writing.