Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E18: Grand Finale

• Start Topic

The right two are in the final two. Also, this show has highlighted what a talent gap there was between Will/Abi and the rest of the field. 

• Useful 1
33 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

The right two are in the final two. Also, this show has highlighted what a talent gap there was between Will/Abi and the rest of the field. 

Yeah, for a breif moment in the last couple weeks, I thought Jack might have a shot, and he's got the "cute young guy" aspect that could've been a factor, but I agree that the final two make sense. They've been the most consistent lately. 

I'm just amused at the random variety of artists that are showing up here. Seal? New Kids on the Block? Hootie and the Blowfish? Are we having an '80s/'90s resurgence or something :p?

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

So is Fantasia taking Katy’s place? Just a thought 

I said the same to my wife. I do think she may be a bit….outspoken about her faith for Disneys taste. 

1 minute ago, JayDub1987 said:

I said the same to my wife. I do think she may be a bit….outspoken about her faith for Disneys taste. 

I dunno, we literally just had a gospel number on this finale and there was a LOT of talk among some of the contestants about their faith this past season. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Yeah, with the reaction she was getting tonight, I figured that would be the result. I think she might be a little easier for "Idol" to market compared to some of their more recent winners, in terms of having more recognition and popularity. 

And yeah, for Will, coming in second is probably the best outcome for him in terms of being able to do the kind of music he wants to do. 

Congrats to Abi on her win, and to Will and Jack to making it to second and third place, respectively. On to next season, then!

• Like 2

Katy Perry is off my television, yay!

That's my big takeaway. Didn't really care for any of the three finalists. Abi was inconsistent during the whole season, like her voice tonight on Livin' on a Prayer was shit, and I don't find her interesting vocally or musically. Hate country and Will sounds no different than a hundred other country artists. Jack is like an eager puppy who came right out of glee club. 

Really fucking sick of this turning into Christian Idol.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I was sort of surprised that Abi won (even though I voted for her) because I thought maybe the crowd reaction in the venue was because she was from a city that was somewhat close geographically (at least compared to the others).  In season 17, Alejandro got a huge reaction from the studio audience but Laine won, so I thought it might be the same.

A friend who just started watching again said her sister (a regular viewer) was glad about Katy's departure because "she's too mean to the contestants."  Out of all the reasons to dislike Katy, I wasn't expecting that one!  She may have been occasionally mildly critical, but how soft do they have to be?

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
3 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

A friend who just started watching again said her sister (a regular viewer) was glad about Katy's departure because "she's too mean to the contestants."  Out of all the reasons to dislike Katy, I wasn't expecting that one!  She may have been occasionally mildly critical, but how soft do they have to be?

In 2024, anything that isn’t brain dead drooling is “too negative.” It’s why most of these people never actually get better. We now have to tell people that everything they do is the “best we’ve heard so far.” Your friend’s sister is an idiot.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Really fucking sick of this turning into Christian Idol.

Yeah, all the constant religious talk and whatnot was getting to me, too. Have your faith and all that good stuff, that's fine, but this isn't a religious revival show. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 2

Katy's version of clapping is lame and disrespectful.  She claps like a child.

Katy's top was NOT flattering, looked like it was going to slowly drop completely off.  

Luke Bryant isn't a very good singer.  He's very likable though.

Abi's dresses were so prom-ish and not current at all.

So glad a country singer didn't win.

I've always wanted Steve Perry as a judge; Linda Ronstadt would have been great too.  Maybe they'll bring back J Lo since her tour tanked, she may need the money 😏

Wow, guess I'm in a negative mood this morning.

None of these contestants come CLOSE to Adam Lambert's talent and exciting performances.   What a voice.  

• Like 10
(edited)

I wonder where Jack's voting bloc went after he went out in 3rd place. Did they sit it out and not vote? Did they split relatively down the middle? It would be interesting to track..

Abi looks like a dead-ringer for Dorothy in a 21st century Wizard of Oz revival & yet she seems most into darker stuff like her Bring Me to Life Cover, and her duet w/ Bishop Briggs. I think it's going to be very interesting what type of songs that AI lets her record & how they try and market her. Maybe Billie E. would let her be an opener for a couple of dates on her next tour..

Will sounds eerily like classic Hootie. I don't think he'll have too many issues breaking into country. His one original that he did went right to the top of the digital country charts.

Not really sure where Jack goes. He's probably happy getting to carve out more of an Indie career, but if he really wanted to he could do a variation of Michael Buble and try to break more into the mainstream that way.

I enjoyed Triston & Cody Johnston's performance, & Seal & Jayna's too. They should've given Kayko someone other than NKOTB to sing with. Same w/ McKenna & Kaibrienne. Same w/ Emmy, although I totally understand why they would've brought back Wynona.

Honestly, I'm not sure who I think makes the most sense as a Katy replacement (assuming Lionel & Luke are 100% coming back). Kelsea Ballerini? I'm not sure if she'd be at a spot in her career where she'd feel comfortable taking so much focus off of her own music..

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Like 3

I miss the days when the OG three were judging and actual, yanno, critiques were given to contestants. Nowadays, Lionel spews nonsensical tongue baths ('You know what you got there, a career, now go get it!" yeah that's helpful, not). Katy spews about herself, thank god she's finally moving on, good riddance don't let the door hit you on the way out, hon. And Luke has got to be the biggest dullard to ever sit at that table. Most of the time he looks constipated trying to squeeze out a comment that is a complete sentence. The abysmal judging, or lack thereof, combined with the expedited/condensed speed of the show now, has essentially neutered it of any interest. I barely watch now because I'm just not invested in any of these subpar not-really-talented kids anymore.

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I wonder where Jack's voting bloc went after he went out in 3rd place. Did they sit it out and not vote? Did they split relatively down the middle? It would be interesting to track..

Abi looks like a dead-ringer for Dorothy in a 21st century Wizard of Oz revival & yet she seems most into darker stuff like her Bring Me to Life Cover, and her duet w/ Bishop Briggs. I think it's going to be very interesting what type of songs that AI lets her record & how they try and market her. Maybe Billie E. would let her be an opener for a couple of dates on her next tour..

Will sounds eerily like classic Hootie. I don't think he'll have too many issues breaking into country. His one original that he did went right to the top of the digital country charts.

Not really sure where Jack goes. He's probably happy getting to carve out more of an Indie career, but if he really wanted to he could do a variation of Michael Buble and try to break more into the mainstream that way.

I enjoyed Triston & Cody Johnston's performance, & Seal & Jayna's too. They should've given Kayko someone other than NKOTB to sing with. Same w/ McKenna & Kaibrienne. Same w/ Emmy, although I totally understand why they would've brought back Wynona.

It felt to me like the show was dying to get a female winner and were doing their best to promote Abi. She got the final spot in the order, she got a phone call from Billie Eilish (a current musical star, while one of others got some totally random call, can't even remember right now who it was but it seemed like an odd choice). And audience reaction is never a good predictor because most shows have people there hyping up the crowd at certain points and it definitely seemed like they were trying to manufacture a moment every time Abi was performing.

Jack is very much the American Idol winner "type" going back the last 15 seasons or so, the WGWG stereotype is a stereotype for a reason, so I would not have been surprised if he won. And country guys have been the trend the last few years, so wouldn't have been surprised if Will won either. 

Abi's win was surprising given the AI winner trends, but it definitely felt like the show wanted her to win, possibly because of those trends. 

I enjoyed the finale a little more than I thought I would, I liked a lot of the song medleys and guest star duets. NKTOB was my favorite for nostalgic purposes, that was fun and Kayko fit right in. Also liked the Neil Diamond medley.

There was something very strange about Wynonna's performance, I see people speculating online that it may be a health issue and I agree. Something definitely seemed off.

• Like 6

I think I'm watching out of habit now.  And I also thing I'm way behind the times, my taste just doesn't reflect what everyone else is saying.  But, that isn't going to stop me so here are a few comments from a seasoned/jaded viewer:

I read a suggestion of JLO coming back in the comments.  NO!  Haven't we suffered enough?

Regarding Luke and Lionel....I think they are nice enough people and Lionel is a living legend.  But his comments are nonsensical and at this point I think Luke is the better commentator.  Admittedly that isn't saying very much.

I vastly prefer the FOX format with more live shows.  Essentially now they do audition after audition, a Hollywood week that's a mere shadow if itself and then a couple of live shows.  You don't get to know the contestant's strengths.  You don't see them trying to sing way out of their comfort zones.  Challenge Adam Lambert wit country music and you wind up with one of the best versions of Ring of Fire. Why not do that now?

I am a big fan of country music and felt that Will was an adequate country performer but totally interchangeable with a number of generic country singers.  I fully expect Luke to include Will in a few of his concerts to give him exposure and experience.   

I didn't even vote this year and I usually do.  Couldn't work up the enthusiasm.  If I had voted it would have been for Jack.

I could never have cast a vote for Abi.  She has a lovely voice and is very pretty to look at but her performances left me cold.  I thought she was calculated and contrived.  Obviously others disagree with me.  And  multiple points off for her hooker boots.  

Did anyone hear Emmy is related to Loretta Lynn? Unfortunately she did not inherit her grandmother's talent and she lasted a few weeks beyond her natural expiration date due to her heritage.          

And lastly, HELL NO TO JLO.   

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

I’ve been reading and the following thoughts come to mind. 

Goodbye, Katie. She will NOT be missed. I’ve never known anyone who loves themselves more. “Class” is not in her wheelhouse.   

I totally agree that Abi was predestined to win. She did nothing for me. But TBTP wanted a female. I’d take Will or Jack over her.

Regarding the Christian music, it was a small percentage of the musical offerings. I don’t care for many of the songs sung but I’m not offended enough to blast them. If I can hear questionable lyrics and half dressed women (Katie), people can hear a little Christian music. If you’re one of the offended, the remote is your friend. TURN IT OFF. 

Last night was fun but highlighted the lack of talent, which is not how any of the contestants desire to be remembered. 

And lastly, bring back more songs like Neal Diamond’s. It’s not like no one recalls these classics. It was the biggest sing-a-long of the night! 

The only thing left from the original is Ryan Seacrest. You’d think TBTP would stop trying to fix what ain’t broken. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2

So happy Abi won. Would've been happy with Jack as well. As long as it wasn't Will lol. I think this is the first time in the ABC years I've watched (so all but the first season) where the person in the F3 that I most wanted to win actually did.

57 minutes ago, snarkylady said:

I vastly prefer the FOX format with more live shows.  Essentially now they do audition after audition, a Hollywood week that's a mere shadow if itself and then a couple of live shows.  You don't get to know the contestant's strengths.  You don't see them trying to sing way out of their comfort zones. 

I agree but the show is no where near as popular, or more importantly profitable, as it once was so I don't expect them to spend the type of money they used to. I'm just happy it's still on as I still enjoy it. All you gotta do is fast forward the judges and it's a fun show to watch!

• Like 5
4 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I wonder where Jack's voting bloc went after he went out in 3rd place. Did they sit it out and not vote? Did they split relatively down the middle? It would be interesting to track.

I don't know how much weight it carries, but I was looking at some of the comments about the show on TV Line articles earlier and a LOT of people seemed upset that Jack didn't win, or at least wasn't in second place. So yeah, I'm curious how that all played out, too. 

2 hours ago, snarkylady said:

I vastly prefer the FOX format with more live shows.  Essentially now they do audition after audition, a Hollywood week that's a mere shadow if itself and then a couple of live shows.  You don't get to know the contestant's strengths.  You don't see them trying to sing way out of their comfort zones.  Challenge Adam Lambert wit country music and you wind up with one of the best versions of Ring of Fire. Why not do that now?

I am a big fan of country music and felt that Will was an adequate country performer but totally interchangeable with a number of generic country singers.  I fully expect Luke to include Will in a few of his concerts to give him exposure and experience.   

I don't follow country as a genre all that closely, but yeah, from what I've heard of the current crop of country artists out there, I agree that the country performers who came on this show don't...really sound all that different from what's on the radio. They'll get some airplay there, sure, but they're not going to stand out in any notable way. 

I also agree with wanting performers to get out of their comfort zones more often. Even with the theme weeks, which should be a prime opportunity to see them show a different side of themselves, every performer just manages to find a song that either best suits their style they've already done or they do a song that's a little out of their wheelhouse...but they still do it in their style. It'd be nice to see some more variety. And also some more upbeat songs. I love a good slow song and ballad as much as the next person, but a bunch of those in a row, it all starts to blend together after a while. 

1 hour ago, MissPriss said:

Regarding the Christian music, it was a small percentage of the musical offerings. I don’t care for many of the songs sung but I’m not offended enough to blast them. If I can hear questionable lyrics and half dressed women (Katie), people can hear a little Christian music. If you’re one of the offended, the remote is your friend. TURN IT OFF. 

Speaking for myself, it's not an issue of being offended, it's.more that it all just came off a bit...over the top and "showy" a lot of the time, or performative. I think that's the big thing that some might find particularly off-putting about those elements - it's not the fact someone's religious in and of itself, it's that they have to make a big show of HOW religious they are. It can just get a bit much after a while. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I agree but the show is no where near as popular, or more importantly profitable, as it once was so I don't expect them to spend the type of money they used to.

Actually I'm thinking they spend too much nowadays.  Judges' salaries, for example.  Katy makes $25 million a year, with Luke at $12 million and Lionel at $10 million, according to most sources I've found.  That's $47 million per season just on that.  (Ryan makes $15 million.)  I'd venture to guess that Paula and Randy made a fraction of that, although Simon obviously made a nice chunk of change.

Then there's production values.  In the early days, the singers used to sing to background tracks.  They pre-recorded their own background voices.  There were no musicians on stage or background singers or lasers or flashing lights or expensive sets.  Just the basics.  

So yeah, there were a lot more shows each season which was expensive to produce.  But, conversely, there were also a lot more commercials raking in the big bucks.  And just one 30-second ad spot during Seasons 2 through 5 must have brought in a ton of money.  Now, with the low viewership, not so much.  

Count me in as one who's glad Katy Perry has left.  I kind of agree with whoever said upthread that Fantasia will possibly take her place.  Fantasia was invited onto the show not to sing a song, just to talk about herself and to be shown on camera when Cece Winans was singing.  So it sounds plausible that she would be considered.  I'm not a Fantasia fan, but I'll take her over Katy.     

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Useful 1

I like Fantasia as a person and as a past winner but I wouldn't like her as a judge. She's too nice to offer critiques and I bet she'd overdo it with the religious talk 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Congrats to Abi! I think that she is an amazing singer.

In fact, I think there are many fantastic singers in the Top 12 this season. If handled right, they should be able to have successful careers. 

• Like 3

For my musical tastes, Abi had my favorite voice.  I'm just not into country or gospel.  I have basically stopped watching these music shows because it seems to have gone all country all the time (but maybe I'm out of the loop on this observation a/c the aforementioned lack of watching; I've haphazardly followed this season of AI via Youtube clips/reviews).

That said, I totally get the critique that Abi was inconsistent.  FWIW, I really liked her vocals on "Hello" and "Bring me to Life", but yeah...on the more upbeat stuff especially, the staging/movement was not super organic to me.

I'm fairly confident I'll never hear of any of these singers again given recent history of these shows' contestants post-show careers, even more so, again, because I'm not into country or gospel.  Someone like Will could wind up big on the country scene, perhaps.

• Like 2

A perfect end to a great season. I enjoyed almost every contestant they had this year; reminded me of their 2nd season on ABC that way and the fifth and seventh seasons of the FOX show. I'll miss Katy, but at least she went out on a hot streak since Abi is as good as Maddie and Noah. But every winner on ABC was solid vocally aside from Chayce. I think because she worked with Simon in the past, she knew the judges' job is to elevate the strongest vocally (even if you have to do it more subtly these days thanks to The Voice changing how feedback can be delivered--only muted criticism or low praise v. high/OTT praise being the only options to differentiate between contestants). Knowing it was her last season made the last 3 minutes more emotional; the joy over Abi winning against all the odds against her combined with Katy's and Fantasia's reactions on top of that song's lyrics already being pretty sad all made me tear up. An almost fairytale-esque ending just like with Maddie and most of the early seasons on FOX. I know her onscreen antics could annoy some, but she did a good job with her time on this show.

I had the same thought about Fantasia possibly being considered as her replacement. She would be a good judge, but so would Jordin, Shania, or Miley. Just no to JLO.

Abi is the fourth time my favorite won (Jordin, Maddie, and Noah were the others. Love Kelly, but I didn't see her season to know iif she would've been my fav her year or not). When the season started, I could tell  TPTB were pushing McKenna. She was okay, I wouldn't have been mad if she won, but Abi was so much better than her. Particularly "Welcome to the Black Parade," the Elton song, "Part of Your World," and "Somewhere" were all phenomenal. Glad talent won out. My next favorite was Emmy; she had a very pretty tone even if she lacked power. Thankfully she seems like a good songwriter, so hopefully she'll be able to put out quality music alone like Laci Kaye Booth has managed to do. Triston was next in line for me, his voice was so much like Tracy Lawrence, and "Hope" was great.

Hopefully however next year without Katy turns out, they'll continue having solid winners for as long as the show goes on ABC.

• Like 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Abi is the fourth time my favorite won (Jordin, Maddie, and Noah were the others.

I've watched seasons 1-9, 15, 17-22 and my fave won 9-ish times. I say ish because some of them it wasn't necessarily my fave but my fave of the top 2. Not too shabby, I guess lol.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

But every winner on ABC was solid vocally aside from Chayce.  

Hopefully however next year without Katy turns out, they'll continue having solid winners for as long as the show goes on ABC.

Ironically Chayce is the only ABC winner to have any kind of commercial success.  Iam was never signed to a record deal.  Maddie, Laine, Noah were dropped by their label after their first album.  Just Sam had to buy herself out of Idol contract.

Edited by twilightzone
  • Useful 5

That's true, and I'm happy for him even though I'm not a fan. I think the last one before that to have any real success was Gabby Barret, although it may have only been for her first album. I'm sure Idol absolutely would like to see success for all their winners since it helps them market the show with something recent from a contestant that came from th show (something The Voice has never been able to do), but it's completely random when anything hits. So I'm guessing the main bottomline they focus on this far into the series are ratings, and keeping the audience happy by seeing the possibility for different genres and good singers to win--and avoiding the feeling of predictable outcomes--is the main way to keep that going. I haven't checked this year, but I think they've often been equaling and besting The Voice at times these past three years.

• Like 4

I actually really enjoyed this finale. My departure from AI came when Katy joined on as a judge. She has toned it down a bit since then, but her need to make every moment about herself just completely turned me off from this show even though I had watched from the beginning. 

I loved seeing Lionel do his song last night in that bright green leather jacket. He sounded great - his voice is still super powerful. I didn't know there was a Neil Diamond musical out there, so that is super cool.   I have distinct memories of seeing him in concert in the late 70's, my parents took me as a kid (which seems weird now). I remember he played "Forever in Blue Jeans" seven times as an encore- coming out in a new costume for many of those. I also remember smelling marijuana smoke (first time). 

• Like 3

I'm apparently in the vast minority who will kind of miss Katy at the judges' table.  Lionel is a sweetheart but has nothing constructive to say and Luke is an absolute moron most of the time.  IMO the last judge to provide insightful critiques was Harry Connick Jr. so I'm not sure what's to come... Are we expecting all new judges?

(edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 8:28 AM, Annber03 said:

but this isn't a religious revival show. 

It is if that's providing the audience that keeps hold of the time slot. Judging by the people that seem to be trying out and what the producers seem to focus on, I think they are trying really hard to court that demographic. 

Edited by AncientNewbie
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1