Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Something Blue

• Start Topic

Elsbeth suspects foul play after a posh country club wedding meticulously planned by an esteemed, but shady, financial advisor, Ashton Hayes (Keegan-Michael Key), ends in the golf cart death of the hapless groom. Also, Elsbeth plans a housewarming party with some old friends, on ELSBETH, Thursday, May 2 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

The tape was driving me crazy! I kept wondering how they didn't notice the freaking tape when they pulled the body out of the water! 

Is that fast dissolving tape real? I can't imagine any adhesive that would stick but be undetectable. Or maybe it works like coban (a kind of bandage)? But then I can't imagine it being dissolvable if also strong. 

Anyway, if it's real, I want some. Just for curiosity, not crime.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I have watched absolutely no minutes of any of the “good” shows this is spun off of and tuned in bc I thought it sounded like something I might like. I have been LOVING this show. I love the case of the week and how they are able o get such great guests bc it’s for such a short time. I like the underlying mystery of the maybe corrupt captain especially bc it feels like they’ve achieved the perfect balance of how much to include (which MANY shows don’t) and I like the main characters. 
I didn’t expect this to be as be of the few shows I truly look forward to each week, but it is!

• Like 10
On 5/3/2024 at 1:13 AM, possibilities said:

The tape was driving me crazy! I kept wondering how they didn't notice the freaking tape when they pulled the body out of the water! 

Same here and when I mentioned it to my husband he said, "Maybe he used a tape that dissolves in water?"  Meanwhile he had never even heard of such a thing, so props to him for figuring it out!

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

The tape was driving us crazy too. A very clever idea.

On the other hand, I wish they had been more convincing why a guy who lives at an obviously suburban estate and commits a crime at an obviously suburban country club is being investigated by the NYC police. I guess it was supposed to be an expensive neighborhood in Queens, or maybe Riverdale in the Bronx?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Rickster said:

The tape was driving us crazy too. A very clever idea.

On the other hand, I wish they had been more convincing why a guy who lives at an obviously suburban estate and commits a crime at an obviously suburban country club is being investigated by the NYC police. I guess it was supposed to be an expensive neighborhood in Queens, or maybe Riverdale in the Bronx?

Good question.
My answer:
I'm guessing the writers or their assistants googled:
     country clubs wedding in nyc jurisdiction
and came up with these 2 NY, NY posh golf course venues: countryclubreceptions.com/new-york-city/unique-wedding-venues.html
And then the writers concocted the golf cart mode of murder.
And added a last remark to Capri the lap dancer's report to Killer/Daddy/Keegan-Michael Key: "Well, congrats on your wedding. I heard it's at a country club. Sounds nice."

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
42 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

The thing that bothered me the most was why didn't the bad guy choose an accountant that already knew about the criminal side of the business to be his daughter's husband?

Killers who get caught are usually dumb about some stuff. 
Evil Daddy Dearest wanted a non-criminal for his daughter's hubby, and he had 2 sets of books for his business (1 for the legit stuff and another for the criminal enterprise).
So it probably seemed like it would work to have the accountant who only saw the legit books marry his daughter.

But then the groom noticed an early wedding present from a criminal and Daddy Dearest decided to dump the dumb groom in the golf pond. 

I'd love to have a passing remark between Elsbeth and Kaya about how that father-of-the-bride groom murderer got a reduced sentence for confessing to other unsolved murders and unexplained disappearances of his past accountants who had dated his daughter.

Or maybe that👆 is mentioned in a season 2 episode when Elsbeth visits Keegan-Michael Key's character in prison regarding the corruption she's investigating.
But they'd have to give him a temporary get-out-of-prison card so he could do more cartwheels. 
Or was that a stunt double? 

Elsbeth's cartwheels are just like mine. 😝 🤸‍♀️

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2

I guess retrieving the watch was the dumbest move KMK made . . .

Cartwheels:  My husband taught himself to walk on his hands when he was a kid.  It was occasionally a fun parlor trick when we were in college.  Like he might do it in the library during finals week when everyone was studying.

Relevance to this:  I sometimes had to hold things from his pockets. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I'm surprised the watch was in his pocket.  He came from behind a curtain when Elsbeth came into the room.  I thought he had already planted it.

I, too, was screaming,"what about the tape!  Obviously NOT an accident!".  Nifty trick.  But then, 2 things...  I would have gone back to the reception and allowed for more time before someone else found him, just to be sure... And... When the lady was showing the tape to Elsbeth, it unrolled easily - not sticky tape.  

Also, while it was a nifty trick, it was unnecessary. The cart had a seatbelt (on a golf cart?).  He could have just buckled the guy in.  He was so drunk I doubt he could have figured out how to get out.  Also, all the golf carts I've been in, would have just rolled into the water if you didn't lock the brake, without putting the bottle under the brake.

The killer over thought a lot of things and that led to his downfall.  Didn't need the tape, didn't need the bottle under the brake, didn't need to plant the watch...

Lol.  These killers just think they are too smart.  Just shut up.  Don't offer help or opinions...

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
17 hours ago, Rickster said:

True, I know of no country clubs in Queens or the Bronx (even though there's a section of the E. Bronx called "Country Club"), although I know of two golf courses in the Bronx, but I doubt they would have gone there.  There are a few country clubs right over the line from NYC into Westchester County, one in Pelham Manor and a few in Long Island also right over the line from Queens.  Good catch, I was too focused on the tape to notice that, lol.

7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

True, I know of no country clubs in Queens or the Bronx (even though there's a section of the E. Bronx called "Country Club"), although I know of two golf courses in the Bronx, but I doubt they would have gone there.  There are a few country clubs right over the line from NYC into Westchester County, one in Pelham Manor and a few in Long Island also right over the line from Queens.  Good catch, I was too focused on the tape to notice that, lol.

Not these 2?

22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm guessing the writers or their assistants googled:
     country clubs wedding in nyc jurisdiction
and came up with these 2 NY, NY posh golf course venues: countryclubreceptions.com/new-york-city/unique-wedding-venues.html

22 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I missed the backstory of the watch. I saw the killer give the watch to his future son in law, and the son in law lit up... it must have been pretty valuable, and the SIL recognized that, right?

For some reason the choreography required a watch and the daughter wanted her groom to have a more ostentatious watch for the wedding dance. The father giving the watch could have been interpreted as welcoming him into the family but because of the watch's value the father could not bear to let it go into the pond with the SIL and it was his undoing.

The SIL was an idiot. Maybe if he had double-crossed the FIL by turning him in for shady business practices on principle I could have respected his integrity, but spilling everything to a dancer he doesn't know immediately? 

I struggled to see Keegan-Michael Key as a hard-nosed businessman because after Schmigadoon and The Prom all I could see was Enormous Musical Dork. 

ETA: after last week I was worried about Elsbeth and Wagner being at cross-purposes but after their talk I am hoping that Elsbeth and Kaya and Wagner can work together to see justice done. Disappointed Claudia couldn't make it to the housewarming -- hope that isn't a bad sign.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Another thread
  • Like 1
On 5/3/2024 at 12:13 AM, possibilities said:

Is that fast dissolving tape real? I can't imagine any adhesive that would stick but be undetectable. Or maybe it works like coban (a kind of bandage)? But then I can't imagine it being dissolvable if also strong. 

Anyway, if it's real, I want some. Just for curiosity, not crime.

I ordered it while I was watching.  Got it the other day and its incredible for labeling "tupperware" and then throw in the dishwasher and the label discentragates.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
2 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I ordered it while I was watching.  Got it the other day and its incredible for labeling "tupperware" and then throw in the dishwasher and the label discentragates.  

😆🤣🤸‍♀️👏

Quoting you because one reaction emoji is not sufficient. 
In the context of this episode's thread, this may be the most enjoyable post I've ever read.❤️

4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

😆🤣🤸‍♀️👏

Quoting you because one reaction emoji is not sufficient. 
In the context of this episode's thread, this may be the most enjoyable post I've ever read.❤️

hilarious.  I've told the story about 4 times over the weekend and held demonstrations in my kitchen.  I bring out the tape, set it down and explain the episode to them, and stick a label (mine are labels not a roll of tape) on a lid and put it under the sink. and then I dramatically walk away.  It was my easter yesterday, so I had an "audience" to witness my parlour trick.  

• LOL 6