Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 9/15/14

9/15: Ken Burns (filmmaker – promoting PBS documentary “The Roosevelts”)                  
9/16: Bill Hader (actor – promoting movie “The Skeleton Twins”)
9/17: TBD
9/18: Jessica Chastain (actress – promoting movie “The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby”)

I've always wondered about the "TBD" slots. If the guest can't make it whatever reason, are they allowed to not have an interview? Or are they obliged to fill the interview slot with another guest? The only times I've heard anything about it was when Jon made a joke about having interviews to cut down on the length of the script, and when Denis Leary once filled in for a senator (but he also had a movie to promote). Anyway, I've always been curious about that.

If the guest can't make it whatever reason, are they allowed to not have an interview? Or are they obliged to fill the interview slot with another guest?

They're going to want an interview because that's ~6-8 minutes of air time they'd need to fill. If you think about how long it takes them to write just 2 segments, writing a third segment would be disastrous for the writers and the schedule.

That's why most shows have a go to cancel guest. Stand up buddies, actors who have free time and live near the area and are friendly with someone on the staff or the host.  Jon Stewart was that guest for Letterman once.  For TDS, they had to use Colbert pretending to be Al Sharpton when Al Sharpton didn't show up. I think Colbert had to miss or be late for the premiere of LOTR:Fellowship. There have been other times (after they became a popular show) where they've used NYU or Columbia professors or other friends of Jon.

ETA: there have been times where they didn't have a guest but that was usually preplanned. When they were in DC in 2010 their last day was just making fun of DC and talking about the rally is the first one that pops to mind. I think Jon's last show before filming Rosewater had him using that time to refresh peoples minds about what had happened to Maziar.

Edited by maculae

Thank you, maculae! I didn't realize what all went into the guest slot. Now I wonder what everybody behind the scenes thinks about it when an interview goes really, really long, like with Timothy Geithner. Although, I guess the writers wouldn't have to stick around for it.

Colbert as Sharpton is hilarious. (And, wow, he gave up going to the premiere of LOTR? That is true love!)

I think they use TBD when they don't have the guest locked down. Several times, a TBD slot has been filled with a very high profile guest (i.e. Hillary Clinton) or someone discussing a newsworthy topic.

Man, between some fans still supporting Ray Rice, and what's going down with Adrian Peterson, Jon could have a field day with the NFL on Monday.  And if he does it has to end with "You still think Michael Sam is too much of a distraction?"

• Love 3

Jessica Chastain is no longer scheduled for this week, for some reason...

9/15: Ken Burns (filmmaker – promoting PBS documentary “The Roosevelts”)                  
9/16: Bill Hader (actor – promoting movie “The Skeleton Twins”)
9/17: Zephyr Teachout (Associate Professor of Law at Fordham University & author – promoting book “Corruption in America”)
9/18: TBA

I wish Jon would do his Kerry impersonation. That was one of his better bad impressions. But huzzahs to Jon for devoting an entire segment to facespanking the despicable lowlife, Lindsey Graham. Especially when Jon uses his mock Lindsey impersonation to depict him as a dramatic ham with the vapours.

Especially when Jon uses his mock Lindsey impersonation to depict him as a dramatic ham with the vapours.

I still laugh when I think of Jon's "My wicked tongue... I'm so bad"—all while fanning himself furiously—from a few months ago. Jon's Graham imitation is right up there with Dick Cheney's "wrak!" as my favorite.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

It's amazing how alarmist Graham is when you take it in over a decade+. Kind of like crying wolf. Not really anything of substance though since I didn't hear him proposing alternatives to Obama's plan. "Go in and kill them all," isn't a strategy.

Fox News is quite the bitchy teen. First Obama doesn't have a coalition. Then he does over the course of a few days. Well, it wasn't fast enough, and those countries don't count. eyeroll

• Love 2

As if Fox News will ever give Obama credit for anything good. I'm sure they found something to criticize about the Bin Laden killing.

IIRC, they were upset that not enough credit was given to Bush.

Sam Bee's piece was hysterical. Was that Jon doing the Graham voice in the next room?

Yes. At least, that's what I heard. I had to watch a couple times, but yeah, that sounded to me a lot like Jon's Graham voice. "They were my own five fingers, reaching for my coffee...." That was a spit-take moment for me.

• Love 1

As if Fox News will ever give Obama credit for anything good. I'm sure they found something to criticize about the Bin Laden killing.

IIRC, they were upset that not enough credit was given to Bush.

I remember them endlessly attacking the President and First Lady for inviting poet/rapper Common to the White House for a poetry jam session because of one line of one of his songs about killing a police officer that was deliberately taken out of context - all in order to divert people's attention from Obama successfully green lighting the takedown of Bin Laden. Jon spoke of that, and completely ripped Fox News a big one for their cheap and petty attacks, then took up Bill O'Reilly's invitation to come on his show to debate him on that, and proceeded to rip several new one in him so bad that O'Reilly issued a mea culpa on his show the next night.

• Love 4

I'm tired of all the coyness that goes on with presidential hopefuls, too. On the other hand, the media completely feeds it. Stop asking, and the coyness won't be so necessary or rampant.

I get what Michael Che was going for, but I think he missed the mark.

• Love 1

I agree, dub. The political media is like nothing more than paparazzi looking for signs of celebrity pregnancy in these cases. It won't be a secret, people! They'll announce when they announce! Shut up and move on!

• Love 1
I'm tired of all the coyness that goes on with presidential hopefuls, too. On the other hand, the media completely feeds it. Stop asking, and the coyness won't be so necessary or rampant.

If the media doesn't know how politics work by now, then they need a new job. All the bitching is making it all about them. Just report the news then. Clinton went to Iowa to Harkin's steak fry and endorsed the new democratic candidate. This is what her speech was about. Done.

Or just ask, when will you make your decision? There's plenty of actual news in the cycle you can report on than just bitching and moaning for 2 hours.

I don't see it as coyness. Once you declare, there are steps you have to take: exploratory committees and the like. There's a machine that needs to be put together. That takes time and the prep is probably a process better off done out of the limelight.

Personally, I think the media is more the issue here. They are so addicted to the horserace narrative that they just go from one presidential race to the next and basically ignore all the midterms and other political issue that the country has to deal with.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 1

I'm not entirely sold on Michael Che as a correspondent. His segments are OK, but they're the sort of pieces that feel like anyone could do them. There's nothing unique to them that make them distinctively "Michael Che" segments, like Sam Bee's or Jason Jones'. He seems to lack charisma. Maybe it's a deliberate choice to be low-key, but I cannot see him ever taking over for Jon Stewart like John Oliver did. He's just kind of there an doesn't really do anything for me. 

• Love 1

Please don't ask if Hillary is running for president. Please don't ask if Hillary is running for president. Please don't ask if Hillary is running for president. Please don't ask if Hillary is running for president. Please don't ask if Hillary is running for president. Please don't ask if Hillary is running for president.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 8

Please don't ask if Hillary is running for president. Please don't ask if Hillary is running for president. Please don't ask if Hillary is running for president. Please don't ask if Hillary is running for president. Please don't ask if Hillary is running for president. Please don't ask if Hillary is running for president.

That just guarantees Jon will ask Bill if Hillary's running for president. :D

Maybe he'll not-ask him that question by asking him, instead, what he thinks of his wife undoing decades of accomplishments in women's rights by leaving an important job in the public sphere to work the most thankless of all jobs from inside their House.

p.s. I cannot wait for this interview. Because BILL CLINTON.

Edited by Fremde Frau

Great evisceration of the NFL by Jon.  I would have loved if he showed a clip of Stephen A Smith, his only response could have been "You are kidding me."

And yet, we'll all sit down at our TVs and watch NFL games because we're that addicted to it.

Because the game is still awesome, and not every player is a douchestain.  Not every player beats their significant other, abuse their children, threaten to kill someone, drive drunk and kill someone, or text pictures of their penis to women who don't want them.

• Love 2

Personally, I think the media is more the issue here. They are so addicted to the horserace narrative that they just go from one presidential race to the next and basically ignore all the midterms and other political issue that the country has to deal with.

So true.  I'd like to update it thusly: They are so addicted to the horserace narrative that they just go from one presidential race to the next and basically ignore all the news &/or other relevant issues that may or may not be political in nature that the country has to deal with.

• Love 3

Because they aren't interested in reporting actual news. They want ratings. 

And yet, we'll all sit down at our TVs and watch NFL games because we're that addicted to it.

No, we all aren't. I haven't watched more than a full game total this season. The NFL has gotten too big, and the games every Thursday now and then Saturdays later in the year is just too much. They need to go away for a while. 

More Graham voice please. 

Can we retire the "I was hit when I was a kid and I turned out fine" canard? Is this to imply that if you weren't hit that you wouldn't? What about the overwhelming number of people that weren't hit that turned out fine? What about the people that were hit and didn't?

Here's One Data Point so my conclusion is Definitive. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 6

I can't pinpoint why, but I'm not really feeling their ISIS bits this week. Their segments on the impact of US foreign policies in the region are so much sharper--I guess due to how much experience they have thanks to Bush's original "Mess O'Potamia."

I still laugh when I think of Jon's "My wicked tongue... I'm so bad"—all while fanning himself furiously—from a few months ago. Jon's Graham imitation is right up there with Dick Cheney's "wrak!" as my favorite.

I *loved* that bit, mostly because every time I hear Lindsay Graham speak I think he feels he's the star of his own Tennessee Williams play.  And a shitty one at that. 

Jon's Graham and Mitch McConnell/Cecil Turtle impersonations both make me guffaw because they just fit so, so well.

I'm going to miss Michael Che.  I really liked the skits he did about Ferguson and the one with Martin Van Buren's great-great-great-etc. granddaughter.  I understand why he couldn't do both shows, but dammit!  TDS had him first.

Edited by eejm

I really won't miss Michael Che, and I was a trifle annoyed they wasted the entire first segment on him. Having the other correspondents come out - Jessica, Sam, Jason, and that other one whose name I can never remember - just reinforced how little personality Che has in comparison. Then there's Hodgeman, Ansaria, Cenak - Che just never had a fraction of the charisma. 

Jon's interviews with Clinton always feel so empty and frustrating, because Clinton is there to promote some kind of agenda I so rarely care about. 

• Love 2

I think Bill Clinton gets a bit too self-congratulatory about his foundation work—the foundation does excellent work, don't get me wrong, but Clinton isn't the one on the ground doing the dirty work. He could do a better job of acknowledging that, I think.

I never warmed to Michael Che, but I do think he's a good fit for Weekend Update.

Edited by dubbel zout

I understand why he couldn't do both shows, but dammit!  TDS had him first.

To be fair, he worked on SNL before coming to TDS.

The goodbye tribute was awkward. It seemed almost mocking to me than anything and pretty much was just them not having 4 more minutes of material or something.

Clinton can really really talk. The man just speaks and speaks but he's not really saying much. I guess thanks for setting up the CGI?

• Love 1

The goodbye tribute was awkward. It seemed almost mocking to me than anything and pretty much was just them not having 4 more minutes of material or something.

I partially agree about Che's final TDS. Watching his tribute after Ollie-Scone's feels more like a parody of the latter that was done less than a year ago. I guess it's kinda awkward that a correspondent like Che only lasted a few months, but I do agree that the new opportunity of being co-anchor is a step up so I won't be lamenting too much about his departure.

I really won't miss Michael Che, and I was a trifle annoyed they wasted the entire first segment on him. Having the other correspondents come out - Jessica, Sam, Jason, and that other one whose name I can never remember - just reinforced how little personality Che has in comparison. Then there's Hodgeman, Ansaria, Cenak - Che just never had a fraction of the charisma. 

The guy you forgot to mention, iMonrey, is Jordan Klepper, by the way. And while I do respect your feelings about Che's feelings, the overall tribute only lasted for a short time, compared to Ollie-Scone's tribute which mostly covered the entire freakin' first segment. I think it was clearly fair, yet pointless with the amount of time for Jonny-bun to roast Biden's gaffes followed by a not-too emotional tribute. 

Is it odd that Michael's brief time on TDS mostly made me realize how badly I miss Aasif, Al, Wyatt, and even John? As much as we get of John on his own show, I still miss his interactions with other correspondents and with Jon at the desk. I've been missing Larry lately, too. Hopefully, they'll do some crossovers next year. I wish they would do more to troll each other's shows from time to time, the way Stephen sometimes does with TDS.

• Love 2

Yeah, I never enjoyed Michael Che in his limited time on the show.  He seemed utterly devoid of personality to me.  I understand that might have been partly or largely a purposeful choice on his part, but it didn't work for me.  

Edited by The Bullpen
  • Love 2

The tribute felt really awkward to me. Even the correspondents looked uncomfortable, IMO. It seemed as if they thought they couldn't devote the entire show to Bill Clinton, so they came up with something to fill the first few minutes. I'd have rather seen a whole show with Clinton, everyone knows it's no problem getting him to talk...