Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Smash And Grab And Happy Death Day

• Start Topic

(edited)

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 10, 8:00-8:30 p.m. EDT 

The hardware store experiences a smash-and-grab, and Dan and Jackie nab one of the culprits. Meanwhile, Beverly Rose learns a lesson in remembering loved ones who have passed while keeping their memories alive.

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 2

That was a really emotional moment with Becky, talking to Beverly Rose about Mark as she did. I understand Darlene's general point of not being able to delay these types of conversations forever, but I was with Becky on this one, in the sense that it's her daughter and her decision to find the right time to have that conversation. I do like that Darlene was there to back her up when she did talk to Beverly Rose, though. And I did get a good laugh out of the super dark stories Darlene was telling about what happens after death, just 'cause it reminded me of a friend of mine from middle school who had a similarly dark sense of humor :D. 

The Dan and Jackie storyline was rather unexpected, with the robbery - I wouldn't have necessarily let that girl go, but I also agree she should get another chance to redeem herself. I wonder if we'll see her again. Maybe she could work at the store to pay Dan back. 

• Like 11

LOL at stealing crowbars so they could break into the better stores -- perfect answer to Jackie asking why they'd hit a small store.  That girl is kind of stupid for not just collapsing the ladder and taking off with it, though; Dan would never catch her, and she has a chance of outrunning Jackie even with that load.  But I'm glad she stayed, because I loved Jackie telling Dan, "Good cop is the nice one; you're not leaving me anything to do but take her out to the country and dig her own grave."  And "Oh, there's always a he" when Jackie realizes how Bella got involved in all this was perfectly delivered.

If Beverly Rose loves that ugly lamp Dan got for free (and to which he has no known attachment), why not just let her believe that is indeed her present?

Darlene's explanation that you won't know because you're dead, so it won't matter when you eventually just become an old picture in a drawer was classic Darlene.  She's right about telling kids the truth about death rather than some fairy tale, but Becky is right that it's her call as to when and how she needs to hear it.  I like that Darlene realized there was something underlying the strength of her reaction, and then apologized for unintentionally making those feelings come up but also made Becky see the time had come.  Becky hit on the important correction, I think, telling Beverly Rose people are gone forever when they're dead, we can't stop or change that, but we can keep their memory alive. 

And LOL at the sisters passing the buck back and forth on who was going to make up stories about the people in the picture.  I like the guy who invented the plow, but forgot to patent it, got drunk and drowned in a well, proving he's a Conner.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That was a really emotional moment with Becky, talking to Beverly Rose about Mark as she did.

It was interesting.  You'd think the obvious introduction to death for Beverly Rose would be Roseanne, since Beverly Rose is named after her, but I understand why they wouldn't go there. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

So heard they mention mark in the episode. And we learn a bit more of how traumatic it was for Becky when he died.

It was also mentioned in this episode:

• Like 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

It was also mentioned in this episode:

I know about that episode I hate that episode, it the reason I quite watching the show 

Edited by Rocknrollzombie

I don't think they've ever said how Mark died, have they? 

Interesting when they were pointing out all the people in the photos to Beverly Rose they said "And that's your grandma Rose" - not "Roseanne." Nobody ever called her Rose. 

Also - Darlene saying "great aunt Rebecca" was Becky's namesake - I believe it was established way back in the original show that Becky was not in fact short for Rebecca, it was just Becky. 

Even the dumbest criminals don't do smash-and-grabs while the store is open and people are inside.

• Like 2

Sometimes it seems like no one's allowed to just have a NAME anymore on this show, you gotta be named for someone.

(But then I was named after a character on a TV show so what do I know?)

• LOL 2

Am I the only one thinking that Darlene was wwwaaayyy over the line talking about death to Beverly Rose; especially when Becky didn't want her to?  Yeah, people die but Darlene wasn't constructive at all.   

I've said it before, so I'll say it again.  Becky treats that child like a class project...either she's not comfortable playing a mother or the producers tell her to be condensing?  Her tone changes when she's with her, and I have never really seen her lose it like all are mothers did at some time or another..

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yes, in the intervention episode (I think) Becky said that a deer jumped out in front of his motorcycle, causing a fatal accident.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Even the dumbest criminals don't do smash-and-grabs while the store is open and people are inside.

Yes, they do.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

I remember a video of a Lululemon store being robbed like that. And the employees ended up getting fired for recording and telling them to stop. It's a crazy world out there... Actually there's many videos out there at big stores. 

I think Mark and Harris called Roseanne  "Granny Rose" when it was the Roseanne revival. 

Also, also in the original show Darlene did call Becky "Rebecca" for emphasis when she was fighting with Dan and Roseanne. Sorry I didn't mean to negate your whole post 😬  just some things I remembered. 

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Interesting when they were pointing out all the people in the photos to Beverly Rose they said "And that's your grandma Rose" - not "Roseanne." Nobody ever called her Rose. 

Also - Darlene saying "great aunt Rebecca" was Becky's namesake - I believe it was established way back in the original show that Becky was not in fact short for Rebecca, it was just Becky. 

• Like 1

“The added thing is they probably want to treat the Mark thing with extra sensitivity because Glenn Quinn passed away in real life. It feels like there’s a part of that scene where you can see Becky’s grief for Mark turn into Lecy Gorason’s real-life grief for Glenn Quinn when she chokes up and her voice starts audibly breaking.

They probably just wanted to handle that as gently as they could.” -From Reddit 

but I do like and find it heartbreaking if it was Lecy’s real grief be it for her and Glenn’s characters history and relationship and her own personal one with Glenn.

• Like 7

It wouldn't matter either way, since Becky and Darlene's stories were made up, but, yes, Becky is a Rebecca -- when the parents of the kids who gave the camera the bird in the class picture were summoned to the principal's office, Roseanne identified herself as Rebecca Conner's mother.  (This came up in the Roseanne forum back in the day, and someone identified another use of "Rebecca" as well, but I can't place it within an episode.)

• Like 5
4 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I remember a video of a Lululemon store being robbed like that. And the employees ended up getting fired for recording and telling them to stop. It's a crazy world out there..

I was half expecting Dan and Jackie to get arrested for holding the girl against her will.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

but I do like and find it heartbreaking if it was Lecy’s real grief be it for her and Glenn’s characters history and relationship and her own personal one with Glenn.

When she was talking with Darlene, I thought she looked like she was genuinely starting to tear up.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 4/10/2024 at 11:40 PM, Bastet said:

If Beverly Rose loves that ugly lamp Dan got for free (and to which he has no known attachment), why not just let her believe that is indeed her present?

Yes; that's what I thought, too.

What kind of present did Beverly Rose expect?  Was there no way everyone could have chipped in and gotten her a $25 or $35 present, instead of a bunch of $1 presents?  I don't know what her friends are getting, but you could get some nice Barbie stuff for that amount.

If she's been going to lots of birthday parties, I actually think that she'd be more upset about not having one and getting  to invite friends. I don't see why they couldn't have served pizza and ice cream and maybe streamed a movie at the new house for a birthday party, and she'd have gotten a few nice presents that way.  There's a restaurant in the family!  Maybe have the friends sit at the counter and "pretend" to be paying customers or something.  A party for little kids doesn't have to be expensive.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 8
9 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

Am I the only one thinking that Darlene was wwwaaayyy over the line talking about death to Beverly Rose; especially when Becky didn't want her to?  Yeah, people die but Darlene wasn't constructive at all.   

It was one thing to say the people were dead and weren't coming back, but that was plenty.  I can't wait for Beverly Rose to ask where babies come from in Darlene's presence.  She'll not only explain conception, but also birth control, miscarriage, adoption, abortion, and a bunch of other stuff.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
23 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

I agree with you but what I thought was strange is that neither of them mentioned the possibility of dead people living on in any kind of afterlife even if it's something they don't personally believe so that the child could be aware that there are other options.  Most people even if areligious or "spiritual but not religious" believe in one.  Pew Research shows that only 1 in 6 Americans don't believe in any kind of afterlife at all.

• Like 3

The smash and grab part... typical the show wanted to give the bad seed a second chance to 'redeem' herself.   Sometimes you shouldn't get a second chance.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 4/11/2024 at 11:49 AM, iMonrey said:

In Canada especially the GTA they do. There's probably video on YouTube of the lovely low life quartet that walked into a Best Buy in the middle of the day and ran out with a giant TV. Even stabbed an off-duty cop on the way out who tried to intervene. 

7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm a Darlene shipper since the original series but that was actually sick. I mean if you have no filter explaining death to a child and she is a child, not a teen, or even a tween, a child. There is actually something wrong with you.

Edited by OLynn33
  • Like 4