Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Wheelers Of Fortune

• Start Topic

03/12/2024 (08:00PM - 08:30PM) (Tuesday) : Surprises are in store for Dan when the Wheelers return to court after more than 30 years. Abby seeks a psychic in hopes of ending an argument she had with her late father. Brent Spiner, Annie O'Donnell, Kate Micucci and Julia Sweeney guest star.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brent Spiner as Bob Wheeler

nc2.jpg         
Annie O’Donnell as June Wheeler
Kate Micucci as Carol Ann Wheeler

nc3.jpg

Julia Sweeney as Jovan
Sean Owens as Lance
Andrew Santiago as Raven
Torey Massey as Dana

This was worth watching just for the last scene between Abby and Dan.  Melissa Rauch is very good in the scenes where she is just someone missing her Dad. 

And seeing Dan be effected by knowing Harry and Abby’s secret code - I don’t think that was all acting. You can tell JL misses Harry Anderson.

• Like 9
(edited)

The Wheelers always were fun.    Abby’s joy at seeing someone from her dad’s past and then the whole thing with the psychic  was well done.   I liked that Dan said the secret phrase.   This has always been about Abby and Dan but this made it more so.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 5

Not enough Wheelers for my taste.  I dislike Gurgs and the Prosecutor, and even Abby.

Kate did a believable job as a Wheeler.   Not only did she look like them, but her mannerisms and speech pattern were perfect.

• Like 4

"At least we think it was seventy-four. Every time we tried counting them, we fell asleep." 

Okay, that line made me laugh :D. 

2 hours ago, ch1 said:

This was worth watching just for the last scene between Abby and Dan.  Melissa Rauch is very good in the scenes where she is just someone missing her Dad. 

And seeing Dan be effected by knowing Harry and Abby’s secret code - I don’t think that was all acting. You can tell JL misses Harry Anderson.

I liked that scene, too, that was really touching :). 

• Like 4

Okay, I’ll admit it: I fell asleep before Abby’s time with the psychic (not bored, just tired 🤣)

What was the secret word and how did Dan know it?

9 hours ago, ch1 said:

I agree, it was incredibly sweet and emotional

• Like 4

The moment Dan said the line in question, I knew that was it. But I enjoyed the scene anyway. 

Also enjoyed how the episode introduced the idea of paranormal stuff, then debunked it, finally to re-introduce it at the end. 

• Like 4

I loved this episode. Great blend of the classic and the new. And I loved how all the plots came together.

Beautiful scene with Dan and Abby. I've always thought the best comedies have a layer of pathos right beneath the surface, and this is a good example. Also, this scene and Dan tearing up over Harry reminded me of this golden scene from the original series.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, theartandsound said:

Also, this scene and Dan tearing up over Harry reminded me of this golden scene from the original series.

OMG the writing on the original show was SO much better.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Starchild said:

It really was! I received the complete series for Christmas and am loving it. The new show doesn't have the heart to me. 

• Like 4
On 3/13/2024 at 11:42 PM, Starchild said:

PREACH!

I mean, I've come to enjoy the new show a lot lately for what it is, no small thing considering how bad the first season was.

But the writing isn't even close to what the original was.

• Like 4
On 3/13/2024 at 11:42 PM, Starchild said:

Looking back I'm always amazed at how good it was and, how well it held up over time.

I'm willing to give the reboot a chance to grow since it took the original a few years to get find it's groove, went through 2 clerks and 2 Defense Attorneys, not to mention 2 bailif's 😔

I enjoyed this episode,  it's amazing to me how easily Brent Spider-Man got back into Bob Wheeler as if no time has passed.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Looking back I'm always amazed at how good it was and, how well it held up over time.

I'm willing to give the reboot a chance to grow since it took the original a few years to get find it's groove, went through 2 clerks and 2 Defense Attorneys, not to mention 2 bailif's 😔

I enjoyed this episode,  it's amazing to me how easily Brent Spider-Man got back into Bob Wheeler as if no time has passed.

The episode that I got that clip from, I completely forgot it was the same one where we first met the Wheelers!!!! Things come around full circle sometimes...

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 3/14/2024 at 7:30 PM, andidante said:

It really was! I received the complete series for Christmas and am loving it. The new show doesn't have the heart to me. 

Is the original streaming anywhere? 

To me the heart of the series was always the relationship between Harry and Dan.  Everyone else was great (particularly once the show settled into its long-term cast) and the wackiness was wonderful, but John and Harry made their relationship just the absolute center.  And I'm 100% certain that John still misses Harry tremendously, particularly given the close replication of the set.  

This scene ripped my heart out 36 years ago; it still does.  Dan could say things to Harry he couldn't say to anyone else:

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

We're currently on S5 of the original on FreeVee.  And while some things are outdated, like stereotypes, ir really does hold up well.

And the heart & soul remains steady throughout.  It doesn't get preachy like M*A*S*H or McGyver (original).

• Like 1