Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Trouble In Paradise

• Start Topic

TUESDAY, MARCH 5 9:00-10:00 p.m. EST

Nolan and Bailey's honeymoon is more of a nightmare than dream when it turns into an active crime scene. Meanwhile, Tim and Celina partner up and must uncover the identity of a John Doe. 

• Useful 1

Tim Bradford makes a much better TO for Celina than Nolan and Harper.

I hope this is the last time we hear about Aaron/Celina rebuffed kiss. They need to get back to being game buddies.

Lucy and her detective exam, YAWN. 😴

Tim has been spending a lot of time at Lucy’s place. Where’s Kojo? Who’s taking care of him? He’s totally forgotten.

I don’t care about Nolan/Bailey’s honeymoon fiasco. I truly hate the shaky camera movements, they’re very dizzying and nauseating. Calling for Harper/Lopez non-jurisdictional backup is just a silly way to incorporate them in this plot/episode. 

• Like 4

So Lucy didn't pass the oral part of the detective exam.  Is that it for her being a detective?  She said something like now she has to think of a course change or something.  Is it one and done on detective exams?  She's never allowed to take it again?

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Tim Bradford makes a much better TO for Celina than Nolan and Harper

She is still a detective rank even if she was temporarily assigned to train Officer Juarez her posing in plain clothes just seems wrong as she was in uniform for Officer Nolan. And of course in the show Nolan is doing this job with limited experience himself because he got a golden ticket too.

(edited)

It's like this show isn't even trying anymore...  I would not have been that upset if the killer had done away with both Nolan and Bailey though there goes the show's lead.  Could care less about Lucy and her test.  She can take it over next year and try to stop moping in the meanwhile.  At least it seems like TPTB are letting Aaron and Celina get past the drunken kiss.

3 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Tim has been spending a lot of time at Lucy’s place. Where’s Kojo? Who’s taking care of him? He’s totally forgotten.

Oh may, if we added up the number of forgotten pets/children on TV shows, that might stretch to infinity...

Also, who goes anywhere these days without checking reviews?  So what if the brochure pics were nice, neither of them bothered to look the place up and see what other people had to say or what pictures they posted?  Yeesh.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

I thought it was better than usual. Am I the only one? It was relatively focused, and the paradise island was kind of fun in a been-there kind of way.

4 hours ago, preeya said:

OMG; that was tedious.

On this (and other) shows, "better than usual" and "tedious" are not mutually exclusive. 🙃

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Also, who goes anywhere these days without checking reviews?  So what if the brochure pics were nice, neither of them bothered to look the place up and see what other people had to say or what pictures they posted? 

Exactly, you can't avoid reviews.  Unless you call directly, if you book on sites like Expedia you see reviews.  And how did the 2 detectives get on the island so fast if the ferry couldn't even get through? Makes no sense.  

• Like 6

Turned it off and deleted it after 5 minutes.  This show is turning into a bad soap opera.  Like it better when they were on the streets fighting crime.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
On 3/6/2024 at 7:46 AM, MMEButterfly said:

I thought it was better than usual. Am I the only one? It was relatively focused, and the paradise island was kind of fun in a been-there kind of way.

I didn't hate it, and I actually kind of liked all the different cameras - and I normally hate that kind of stuff. And, I don't remember when, there was  a moment or two when they felt like a real couple. Which hasn't really happened before imo.

23 hours ago, KeithJ said:

So Lucy didn't pass the oral part of the detective exam.  Is that it for her being a detective?  She said something like now she has to think of a course change or something.  Is it one and done on detective exams?  She's never allowed to take it again?

I'm not that familiar, but she didn't fail, she came in 17th. Which means every other person who took that test would be promoted ahead of her. The turnover isn't that great - so it'd be years before she'd even be considered.

I'm not sure if you can take it again. Maybe after a certain time period?

22 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Also, who goes anywhere these days without checking reviews? 

To be fair, that's very Nolan. I think he booked it, since he was continually apologizing.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I almost gave up at the autopsy scene. I mean, obviously Bailey can do everything ever, but, seriously, what would possess Nolan to think they could or should perform an impromptu autopsy?

If the episode immediately following your main character’s wedding is called “Trouble in Paradise,” is it lampshading, on-the-nose, or a tacit admission that your show’s OTP is :: pppbbbtt::  ?

Nolan seemed much more excited about his new spy tech toys than about his new bride. They’re not supposed to be giddy twenty-somethings, obviously, but that is … not good. 

Edited by Sandman
  • Like 1

There's been a lot of talk about how much this show has strayed from the original concept of a Rookie, and I'll tell you something else this show is not a Rookie at - employing stupid gimmicks that fall flat!

I was surprised they didn't give Bailey a bigger role in their escape, since she is well-established to be good at everything, and I mean everything.  Speaking of, didn't she bake Nolan an entire cake once while he was out jogging?  And not a box cake frosted from a can - a real cake.  So why did their wedding cake suck so hard?  Even if it's because Bailey didn't do everything herself and her delegates messed up, she was still supervising.

My theory is the writers' room breaks silly story arcs, and then the assigned writer pumps out the draft script.  The head writer and producers read the script, slam it down on the table, and declare, "Not silly enough!  Make it sillier!!!!"  This iterative process continues it reaches the escalating threshold of silliness dictated for the season.

• Like 3

Hmm. Does this iterative process also apply to determine the lengths the Nefarious Redheads (formerly Rosalind, now the almost-as-ridonkulous Monica) get to go to?

• Like 4
(edited)

I'm out!  I can't even hate watch this show anymore!  I was really hoping something was going to happen to Bailey in the previous episode so she would never been seen or heard from again.  

The entire honeymoon plot was beyond stupid and ridiculous! Nolan and Bailey can't leave the island for days, but Harper and Lopez had no problem landing right in the middle of the beach?  

Baily is an EMT?  I thought she was a firefighter?  

I'm so over Chen and her detective's exam.  She and Bradford have absolutely ZERO chemistry! I hate them as a couple!  I'm glad Aaron and Celina aren't going to be a thing...I like them as friends.

Edited by juliet73
  • Like 2

Why would someone take so many cameras on a honeymoon? Murder aside, that looked like the lamest honeymoon ever and neither seemed happy to be there or to be with each other. Oh and Nolan breaking free from his bonds just before Harper and Lopez bust in - we can't have the ladies rescuing the big, strong man now can we? 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, christie said:

we can't have the ladies rescuing the big, strong man now can we? 

Well that runs both ways now. Speaking characters always save themselves before their partner can finish the job as Bailey just recently did to end last season. Juliet Higgins of Magnum PI was also infamous for saving herself and running swimming and everything just as fast as Thomas

1 hour ago, christie said:

Why would someone take so many cameras on a honeymoon? Murder aside, that looked like the lamest honeymoon ever and neither seemed happy to be there or to be with each other. Oh and Nolan breaking free from his bonds just before Harper and Lopez bust in - we can't have the ladies rescuing the big, strong man now can we? 

I noticed that too. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, christie said:

Nolan breaking free from his bonds just before Harper and Lopez bust in - we can't have the ladies rescuing the big, strong man now can we? 

14 minutes ago, MMEButterfly said:

I noticed that too. 

I thought it was just silly.

• Like 1
On 3/6/2024 at 9:31 AM, Snazzy Daisy said:

Chuck Cunningham took him for walkies ...

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4

Most of the Nolan and Bailey scenes were using the gimmick of supposedly being shot by these two characters using handheld cameras. But I could've sworn there was this scene where both of them go to examine a dead body on the beach, but the dropped camera seemingly on its own pans over the length of the dead body.

• LOL 1

on my feed for this page, the google algorithms are picking up on terms like "hotel" and "vacation" and showing my advert videos from hotels.com

the clips shows a nice looking resort with pool until it pans back to reveal a dead body floating in the pool.

it could not be more appropriate for this thread.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 3
On 3/7/2024 at 7:45 PM, christie said:

I think it's less a sexist thing than a 'star and leading character of the show' thing.  And Bailey is a woman and people are complaining that she can do anything.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Holy hell this was bad. I mean BAD! I honestly don’t think I can watch anymore. I love Nathan Fillion. But this show just gets worse with every episode. 

• Like 2

This episode was baaaaaaaaaaaad. One of the worst of the series, by far. The shifting camera angles and the nonsense plots.

Also, why can shows never make things on screen easy to read? I had no idea what the piece of paper said until it was said out loud that Lopez was 17th on the list.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 3/6/2024 at 11:31 AM, Snazzy Daisy said:

What happened to Lucy's puppy/roommate? Have they even mentioned her?

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Shorty186 said:

She must be in the police academy so they will have another rookie next season 

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, Shorty186 said:

She’s in college now. They haven’t mentioned her in S06 yet. Lucy is too overwhelmed with the detective exam and busy putting words into Tim’s mouth to remember her puppy. 😆

• Like 2
On 3/7/2024 at 6:29 PM, juliet73 said:

Baily is an EMT?  I thought she was a firefighter?  

I think she's an EMT within the fire department.  In NYC EMTs are part of the FDNY.  Maybe LA is the same?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I think she's an EMT within the fire department.  In NYC EMTs are part of the FDNY.  Maybe LA is the same?

This comes up on 9-1-1 with Hen and Chim also. In Los Angeles City Fire Department some of the  firefighters  are also paramedics get a bump in pay for that dual rating and service. They normally  ride the fire engine and they  normally get to medical emergencies before the rescue ambulances with a pair of paramedics show up. And the firefighter/paramedic would also substitute in on the rescue ambulance which would ideally have just stand alone paramedics aboard.

In the Los Angeles County Fire Department as on the old show Emergency all of the paramedics are firefighters first. And they normally deploy in their van and private ambulance services provide their transportation.