Type keyword(s) to search

S18: Charlie White: Ice Prince

• Start Topic

Ice dancing partner of Meryl Davis, just won a gold medal, it's really not a fair fight with trained ballroom dancers in this thing. He does look like a Disney prince. He's starting out with Sharna Burgess.

I must say that was one of the least amateurish contemporary dances I've seen on this show. I used to work at a university theater and most of the contemporary choreography on DWTS looks like an undergrad performance (just set it to music from Donnie Darko). This one not so much. Will have to wait an see if he can manage the actual ballroom. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Not sure what that was last night but I loved the dance with Charlie and Peta. My husband said it was the only thing he's seen that he'd pay for (not a dance fan). 

Edited by Quickbeam

Just read that Charlie and Sharna are doing a jazz routine this next week to 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'. Talk about the least sexy song ever for a jazz routine. 

Edited by Quickbeam

I don't know if Charlie and Meryl have had any formal pr training or if it's just natural savvy and years of experience, but they both do such a wonderful job of answering even stupid questions with charm.

Q: How much does Meryl weigh and what is your weight?

A: I don’t know. I don’t ask her. She doesn’t weigh much. Just the right amount for us to do some of the tricks we do.

I know they come across as bland to some people, but over the last few months I've enjoyed watching them ever so politely shut down interviewers who cross the line. It's a skill.

What kind of a nut has the nerve to ask a stranger if she can run her hands through his hair?

• Love 2

I really liked Charlie's intensity in the Paso on Latin Week. It was really cool to see him so committed to the style of the dance. I wish I could disagree with the judges, because that kind of commitment to performance is rare and, I think, a real challenge for him because he really, really exudes affability. He acknowledged a slight bobble in his interview with Erin which I didn't catch, but I can't quite put my finger on the difference between what Sharna is choreographing for Charlie vs. what Maks is coming up with for Meryl.

I blame CAI for some of Charlie's struggles with the Latin dances. I think back to the Tango that Charlie did when Sharna brought Maks in for some pointers. I know it's Standard, but it has a Latin sensibility that could have served him well in other dances. Maks gave him character reasons for movements that would highlight his ability to lead his partner around the dance floor. When he's scoping out the room, it has the dual function of making him look like he's leading his partner and it creates the opportunity for his partner to demand/capture his attention which creates a highlight. CAI did him a disservice, I think, when she said basically to ignore Maks' instruction to portray a womanizer, that he has his own charm and his own style that worked for the dance. The content of his subsequent dances has been very good as has his execution; what's been missing, I think, are the "special moments" that make a good dance great.

Thankfully, I think he's gone through all or, at least, most of the Latin dances and that the Standard Ballroom dances will highlight his partnering skills and carriage. I read on PureDWTS that he will be dancing 

Quickstep

next week so his story arc will, hopefully, take a turn for the better.

On the whole, I must say that I'm really liking the energy that he (and Meryl) are bringing to the show. I very much enjoy that all the couples seem to really enjoy each other's company. Meryl, especially, seemed heartbroken by the comments the judge's made of Charlie's performance. After the team dance, I found it amusing that his quip about not calling themselves All Stars but instead just doing their best to put on a good dance was really clever. I think it was in reference to Val's comment in the package about great basketball players. I don't think anyone (possibly even himself)  thought what I thought, which was that he didn't need to be the Michael Jordan of choreography because he's the Charlie White of Ice Dancing, but you'd have to be a fan of Figure Skating to ever think such a thing. What he and Meryl did in Sochi was unprecedented and pretty awesome. Should they decide to go for another Olympic cycle, I'm thinking that they'd be pretty unbeatable with the technique and insights they're picking up from doing DWTS.

• Love 2

Both Meryl and Val have tweeted support and praise for Charlie. Val called Charlie's paso one of the top 3 to be performed on the show. I know that most of the D/W fans I follow on Tumblr were broadcasting the message to not split votes between the two for the week and to vote solely for Charlie.

I'm only voting for Charlie. I've lost all objectivity. I really enjoy his performances and his commitment to the dance. I've seen his paso on ice and I think this was close to that. I do think Sharna could make the choreography less "busy" to highlight his line and frame. 

• Love 3

I have a hard time knowing whether a dance deserves a 9 or a 10 since I can't for the life of me figure out what those scores are supposed to mean. But it does seem very clear that the judges are holding Charlie to a different standard. His mistakes are never overlooked or excused, and his improvements are never rewarded. No matter what he does, it's not enough. He certainly deserved less nasty, useless feedback than "not special."

• Love 2

I voted for Charlie only last night as well. I just don't think it's productive for the judges to talk to him the way they do. I guess they think that he's not living up to expectation but it's just unpleasant to watch. It's almost as bad as when Nigel Lythgoe wants a fan favorite off SYTYCD. 

I want Charlie to stay in, but putting Charlie in jeopardy was clearly a trick on behalf of TPTB.  I don't believe he was actually in the bottom 3, or that he's struggling for votes.  Based on the media and internet forums, everybody loves Charlie.  He's not relying on an existing skating fanbase, he's earned a ton of new fans.  Seeing him be chastised again will definitely rally a lot of votes, but I don't like being manipulated, so this is the week Charlie is getting none of my votes for a change. 

His mistakes are never overlooked or excused, and his improvements are never rewarded.

I don't think he's improving, that's the problem.  At best he's just staying the same and not fixing the problems that were overlooked in the first three weeks.   Someone like Candace is not on the same level as Charlie, but her scores keep going up because she's showing improvement.

I just wish the judges weren't so mean to Charlie.  They go out of their way to be nice to someone terrible like Nene, but they act like Charlie pulled down his pants and flipped them off just because his dance wasn't his personal best.

• Love 1

I don't know if Charlie really was in jeopardy this week or not, but he definitely is next week - he's only one point out of last place on the leaderboard. So manipulated or not, I still voted for him.

I agree that he hasn't had one of those "breakthrough" moments - he started off as a really good dancer and he's still really good. He doesn't have the option of going from zero to hero. But I do think he's improved in some subtle but still difficult ways. He's gotten better control of his feet and he is moving those hips much more.

I don't think he was in jeopardy at all and I wonder if some of the critique isn't the judges trying to not make this a runaway win for Charlie.

I remember when Kristy Yamaguchi was on and there seemed to be a whole period in the middle where at least one judge a week came up with a BS critique and a lower score so that it seemed like she was closer to the others than she really was.

I feel like that's what is happening here. It doesn't explain Meryl's success though. Unless she is a lot closer to elimination than he is. Maybe because she doesn't seem to be as approachable as he is

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 1

I don't think he was in jeopardy at all and I wonder if some of the critique isn't the judges trying to not make this a runaway win for Charlie.

I remember when Kristy Yamaguchi was on and there seemed to be a whole period in the middle where at least one judge a week came up with a BS critique and a lower score so that it seemed like she was closer to the others than she really was.

Speaking of Kristy Yamaguchi, she tweeted earlier this week to support Charlie.  Awww.  I knew there was a reason I loved her.

There's a whole lot of Charlie conversation on the Latin Night thread.  Perhaps it would be better to bring it over here?

I feel like that's what is happening here. It doesn't explain Meryl's success though. Unless she is a lot closer to elimination than he is. Maybe because she doesn't seem to be as approachable as he is

I don't know... Charlie isn't with a pro who has a big, established fanbase like some of the others, and judging by social media, it looks to me like he's been getting lost in the shuffle, not like he's running away with anything. This past week is the first week in awhile I've spotted a lot of conversation about him.

All right, people, look alive. Mama White (she may be known as Jacqui in some parts) has discovered this forum! Not awkward not awkward Haha, I think she's adorable. So proud of her son!

Ok, this is a smidgeon off-topic.  (But it IS Charlie-related!)  I noticed Mama White's twitter photo/avatar/whatever is of a most adorable little puppy.  Could it be the same adorable doggie shown here? (The one without the glasses!)

Ok, this is a smidgeon off-topic.  (But it IS Charlie-related!)  I noticed Mama White's twitter photo/avatar/whatever is of a most adorable little puppy.  Could it be the same adorable doggie shown here? (The one without the glasses!)

I don't think it is. I believe that's Charlie's dog DJ in the instagram photo and the one that Mama White has doesn't really look like DJ if you look at the coloring. I need to follow fewer Meryl and Charlie fans on tumblr if I know his dog's name. The good thing about following a number of Meryl and Charlie fans on tumblr is that I can offer you this great instagram video.

I don't think it is. I believe that's Charlie's dog DJ in the instagram photo and the one that Mama White has doesn't really look like DJ if you look at the coloring. I need to follow fewer Meryl and Charlie fans on tumblr if I know his dog's name. The good thing about following a number of Meryl and Charlie fans on tumblr is that I can offer you this great instagram video.

That's ridiculously cute! I hope we get to see Charlie and DJ this week on DWTS. Who doesn't love an adorable (and talented!) guy and his adorable pup?

Fun fact on DJ, DJ was originally Tanith's dog who she named after Candace's character on Full House. I believe the 2 DJs actually met a few years ago, at least, I'm pretty sure Tanith has tweeted about that. Anyhow, Charlie over the past 4 years has begun referring to DJ as his dog since they share a residence and I believe they have adopted each other.

Yes, all this info was obtained via twitter. I've followed both Meryl and Charlie, along with several other skaters, since 2010 when I joined twitter. I also frequently check Tanith's twitter although I don't follow her mainly because she's retired from skating. I should go ahead and follow her however as mlb clogs up my timeline so much that adding Tanith won't make a difference. I was trying to keep it manageable.

• Love 2

Bearcatfan, that's an interesting dog story!

I have been rooting for Charlie since night 1. My husband, who doesn't usually watch this with me, has watched every show, because he was intrigued by Charlie also. 

I hope he comes does awesome tonight…..still waiting for those 10's across the board!

Charlie is one of my favorite competitors this year, I think because he seems like a nice a fun person. I think he has a lot of potential too. Hopefully he does well tonight, but I believe that will depend on if Sharna decides to focus on teaching him more technique instead of putting in a lot of movements to try to impress the judges.

Fun fact on DJ, DJ was originally Tanith's dog who she named after Candace's character on Full House. I believe the 2 DJs actually met a few years ago, at least, I'm pretty sure Tanith has tweeted about that. Anyhow, Charlie over the past 4 years has begun referring to DJ as his dog since they share a residence and I believe they have adopted each other.

Yes, all this info was obtained via twitter. I've followed both Meryl and Charlie, along with several other skaters, since 2010 when I joined twitter. I also frequently check Tanith's twitter although I don't follow her mainly because she's retired from skating. I should go ahead and follow her however as mlb clogs up my timeline so much that adding Tanith won't make a difference. I was trying to keep it manageable.

We had better hear about this delightful, charming story tonight when Charlie will be dancing with Candace!  If not, I will be sending a raspberry thru my TV screen to the DWTS producers.

Can't believe they've been grasping for a 'story' for Charlie's packages when they have this sparkly gem in their midst.  Showing Charlie's good humor and charm would be an excellent package for him.  Everyone doesn't need to have a drama every week.

Charlie and Meryl already shared the dog being named DJ story when they were doing press for DWTS.  Meryl also said she made her family call her DJ for a year.  I don't know whether that's worth more than 5 seconds of package time anyway.  Charlie either needs to yell at Candace during rehearsals or seriously injure her, putting her future on the show in jeopardy.  That would be a good storyline.

I'm so, so thrilled Charlie finally got those 10s so they'll stop making that albatross his main storyline. Now maybe we'll see more of his fun side. Making him the designated greeter tonight was a good start. How funny to see him beaming up there in the balcony all by himself during the scoring. I guess happy Charlie is all the cheering section anyone could need.

• Love 2

I'm so, so thrilled Charlie finally got those 10s so they'll stop making that albatross his main storyline. Now maybe we'll see more of his fun side. Making him the designated greeter tonight was a good start. How funny to see him beaming up there in the balcony all by himself during the scoring. I guess happy Charlie is all the cheering section anyone could need.

I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it but you're absolutely right about that being all anyone could need.

I'd actually like to make it my life's mission to have a constant Charlie White cheering section accompanying me wherever I go, celebrating my ability to merge in traffic and the like. I mean that in the least creepy, stand off to the side and cheer for me way possible, so can Mama White get on this for me?

• Love 6
I'd actually like to make it my life's mission to have a constant Charlie White cheering section accompanying me wherever I go, celebrating my ability to merge in traffic and the like. I mean that in the least creepy, stand off to the side and cheer for me way possible, so can Mama White get on this for me?

Dang, why didn't I think of that?  That's a very commendable life's mission!  I just wish you hadn't beaten me to it.  :)

• Love 2
How funny to see him beaming up there in the balcony all by himself during the scoring.

I thought that was so odd. Where was everyone else? 

Great night for Charlie. Loved the dance with Candace. 

(edited)

I thought that was so odd. Where was everyone else?

Great night for Charlie. Loved the dance with Candace.

I think who ends up there depends on the order they dance in. Charlie danced early and then had the rest of the show to kill before the duel. Others may have been backstage going over last minute rehearsals or costume changes. Last week Meryl and Maks were up there by themselves for at least one dance. I thought it was kind of hilarious to see him there all by his lonesome and suited his personality. Could you imagine if it was someone like Nene (while she was here) in that spot? Her faces during scores would've been hilarious but that's about it. Charlie came across as genuinely enthusiastic to see everyone following their dances and it was nice to see him seem to be having real fun with the show again. Last week he just seemed kind of (understandably) worn out. Edited by Flick
  • Love 2

Last week he just seemed kind of (understandably) worn out.

It was so nice to see him smiling and happy again. Last week was such a bummer seeing him look so discouraged.

(edited)

I fast forwarded over Abby, so no idea what she said about his hair, but I had mild depression that season he chopped his curls off and I considered sending death threats to whoever decided to slick it back on DWTS ;)

Oddly though, his adorableness sometimes detracts from the dances for me. Not sure why, but it's almost like watching Matt Morrison try to rap or something.

His dance this week wasn't my favorite, but glad the judges quit ragging on him. I felt bad for him when he was awkwardly the only person in the background for several people's scores.

Edited by Joystickenvy
  • Love 1

I loved the way the Quickstep moved across the floor. And I think the Tango elements really worked. Though if he wasn't in cream it would been better.

I'm worried despite his scores as I have a feeling that everyone is throwing their votes to Meryl, assuming he's safe. I think Meryl would be fine regardless but at this point, a low vote total could cost him. Everyone seems to like him but I'm not sure that they are voting for him.

(edited)

I'm worried despite his scores as I have a feeling that everyone is throwing their votes to Meryl, assuming he's safe. I think Meryl would be fine regardless but at this point, a low vote total could cost him. Everyone seems to like him but I'm not sure that they are voting for him.

Since he was second from the bottom last week in judges' scores and the producers didn't use the opportunity to put him "in jeopardy" if he was really in the bottom two, I think it's a pretty good guess that he's bringing in the numbers to make it into the finals.

Unless, of course, the producers want a "surprise" elimination next week where both he and Meryl are the last two "in jeopardy" and one of them goes home just shy of the finals. It's a scenario that would likely guarantee that whoever survives of the the two of them will win the Mirror Ball because they wouldn't be splitting the vote.

I just don't see how the producers could conclude that a final without the Ice Dancing partners pitted against each other would be better for ratings than having both present.

ETA: I broke up the sentences into individual blocks, because the wall of text may make it difficult to comprehend the entire post.

Edited by Glaadrial
  • Love 1