Type keyword(s) to search

S18: Charlie White: Ice Prince

• Start Topic

Since he was second from the bottom last week in judges' scores and the producers didn't use the opportunity to put him "in jeopardy" if he was really in the bottom two, I think it's a pretty good guess that he's bringing in the numbers to make it into the finals.

Nope.  I talked about this in another thread, but he might have been two votes shy of going home, and for whatever reason, the producers thought it would make better television to put other people "in jeopardy".  Other than for the person who is actually going home, being in jeopardy or not in jeopardy means nothing.

It's quite possible the producers know Charlie only has the votes to last for another week and they wanted to make people think he's doing better so that his elimination will have extra shock impact.

• Love 1

Yeah I think Charlie's going home this week. I love Meryl and Candace but I'm not watching the final week if Charlie leaves. I know big loss to the show losing one viewer who doesn't have a ratings box :p I just don't enjoy large chucks of the show. He's been making it worth while for me. A long with Meryl and Danica's dancing.

I want Meryl to win because she's been the best on the floor but I can't stand to watch shomances and I've never been a big fan of Maks. I can't stand Peta and James for that reason as well. Well some other reasons that have to do with dance as well. I don't enjoy Amy's tears or her dances. I know she's dancing on stilts and that is hard to do and I get why she's praise because of that But I'm not enjoying her or Derek's choreography, Charlie's the only one I enjoy to see on and off the dance floor, I've only was annoyed with one of his packages (Latin's 10 ends). I love Candace's journery and I find her very sweet but I don't enjoy her dancing enough to watch for her story.

And I can't stand all the board talking between M&M fans and Pure. I can't escape that stuff on the skating boards.

And since this is a Charlie thread....Here's a video where Charlie talks about his Asthma. 

http://www.people.com/article/charlie-white-asthma-really-difficult-dancing-with-the-stars-olympics#vid

fembotz, that link led to an interview with Maks and Meryl. It was a great interview, but I really want to see C&S's samba, since it's my favorite dance.  I tried checking the site for other links, but couldn't find the footage you mentioned.  Can you help me?

I'm with you about wanting Charlie to make it through.  I'm going out on a limb this week, and against "conventional wisdom" (i.e., FB and such) to say he'll be safe.  I predicted (really, more hoped for) his 4 10s last week.  We'll see if I'm 2 for 2 or all washed up.

Ooh, thanks for the video!  Did Charlie really say "Bambi strides"?  :D  I understand the video was taken on Tuesday?  First day of rehearsal?  Man, I hope so, because that samba looks pretty awful.  =:0  They're probably just learning the choreography, because both are in sneakers.  For me, samba is probably the hardest dance to get right.  I think Danica is the performer this season who's come closest.  (hashtag fingers crossed) 

It was Tuesday and they are just learning the steps. It's not going to look wonderful though because it's a samba and samba's look best in hard hitting controlled mess mode. Imo. Wild abandon. All of that's the opposite of Charlie. 

It was Tuesday and they are just learning the steps. It's not going to look wonderful though because it's a samba and samba's look best in hard hitting controlled mess mode. Imo. Wild abandon. All of that's the opposite of Charlie. 

Charlie isn't known for wild abandon??? I'd have to disagree with you. Don't know about his dancing--I think it's too new--but one of the best things about his skating is the abandon. It's even gotten him into trouble at times (once, infamously, at a Grand Prix competition in 2008, in which he stumbled once and splatted twice to a "Happy Feet" program. . . many skating fans refer to it as "Crappy Feet"). 

• Love 1

Not on DWTS. Charlie could be great at the Samba given a season but he's not going to be able to be just let loose with a week of rehearsals. They will pack his dance and expect him to be an all star but Charlie will be thinking through the routine and either be cautious and not let loose or make mistakes. That has been the trend this season. I'm not sure if they will have told him he's not safe yet at the time he's dancing. Which seems to be second and that could also play into rather he can let loose. 

Charlie isn't known for wild abandon??? I'd have to disagree with you. Don't know about his dancing--I think it's too new--but one of the best things about his skating is the abandon. It's even gotten him into trouble at times (once, infamously, at a Grand Prix competition in 2008, in which he stumbled once and splatted twice to a "Happy Feet" program. . . many skating fans refer to it as "Crappy Feet"). 

Charlie's paso was too wild where it should have been controlled.  His stuff in the group team dance was also way too wild.  But I'd say things like his jive and his cha-cha should have been sharper and snappier - they were too smooth.  I'd say it's a toss up where he'll land with the samba.  I don't expect it will be one of his better dances.  I don't think latin is his strong suit.

Can't wait to see Charlie and Sharna on GMA tomorrow although I'd have been happier if I saw him on GMA next week instead. 

He was a class act this whole show and I'd be willing to bet everyone on the cast and crew loved him due to his lack of drama.   I have to say I thought his Foxtrot was outstanding, especially at the end when he was dancing by himself.  Beautiful.

• Love 3

Since he was second from the bottom last week in judges' scores and the producers didn't use the opportunity to put him "in jeopardy" if he was really in the bottom two, I think it's a pretty good guess that he's bringing in the numbers to make it into the finals.

Unless, of course, the producers want a "surprise" elimination next week where both he and Meryl are the last two "in jeopardy" and one of them goes home just shy of the finals. It's a scenario that would likely guarantee that whoever survives of the the two of them will win the Mirror Ball because they wouldn't be splitting the vote.

I just don't see how the producers could conclude that a final without the Ice Dancing partners pitted against each other would be better for ratings than having both present.

ETA: I broke up the sentences into individual blocks, because the wall of text may make it difficult to comprehend the entire post.

Will you pick my lottery numbers for me? ;)

It's utter bollocks that Charlie was ousted yet James and Can'tdance are in the finals.  

• Love 2

Loved Charlie the entire season. He got all the votes from my house so we did what we could. My whole house went "nooooo!" when he was eliminated. He was marvelous and game, even outside his skill set. Lovely foxtrot. Shifting votes to Meryl or anyone-but-Amy. 

I cast all of my votes for Charlie all season and I'm disappointed but not surprised by his elimination. The skating fan base was split.  Unfortunately, this show is never going to be about who can dance.

I think that if Charlie and Meryl had been on the show in different seasons (or if DWTS allowed unlimited votes) they would have both been finalists. Now I can throw all of my votes to Meryl. 

• Love 1
Can't wait to see Charlie and Sharna on GMA tomorrow although I'd have been happier if I saw him on GMA next week instead.

Except that even that was overshadowed by Amy Purdy on her running blades.  What does this sweetheart have to do to get his own spotlight?  Jeez.

• Love 3

Charlie you were the best.  True your Latin made us wince, but nobody could evoke Astaire and some other greats like you did. Like Astaire you made the difficult look easy.  And Meryl seemed to be channelling Ginger's feather dress in that Vie. Waltz..  And speaking of God, I hope we get to see you dance a lot.   Maybe a polka with Miss M for the final?

Sharna said something to that effect, about the ballroom dances being held back from Charlie while they got all the latin dances he struggled with. But he did get contemporary (twice!) *and* jazz as well, so I don't know... I didn't feel like he was at a huge disadvantage, but I really do wish he'd gotten a ballroom dance earlier in the competition because that's really where he would have excelled. 

That foxtrot was outstanding. Has any celeb been featured for that long in a dance before? For everyone who thinks James is a better dancer, I truly believe that if James had attempted that foxtrot, he would have ended in a face plant.

Unfortunately, my malaise lasted too long to throw any votes for Meryl. I planned on doing that once I got home from work but was distracted and didn't vote before the polls closed.

That foxtrot was outstanding. Has any celeb been featured for that long in a dance before? For everyone who thinks James is a better dancer, I truly believe that if James had attempted that foxtrot, he would have ended in a face plant.

Whoa whoa whoa. Do many people really believe James is a better dancer? I can see voting for him because of other reasons, but a better dancer? Whaaa? 

Anyway, I don't think I'll enjoy the show as much without Charlie on it with Meryl. Boooo.

Charlie you were the best.  True your Latin made us wince, but nobody could evoke Astaire and some other greats like you did. Like Astaire you made the difficult look easy.  And Meryl seemed to be channelling Ginger's feather dress in that Vie. Waltz..  And speaking of God, I hope we get to see you dance a lot.   Maybe a polka with Miss M for the final?

This is the first time I've watched this show from the beginning of a season -- has a polka ever been done on DWTS?  If not, I highly doubt they would allow it.  If so, I would swoon if they were able to adapt this to the floor:

What made this performance (and their score) all the more enjoyable was that the World Championships were held in London, Ontario or, as it's referred to over at Figure Skating Universe http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/, Fake London, which is Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir's home town.

• Love 1
(edited)

Whoa whoa whoa. Do many people really believe James is a better dancer? I can see voting for him because of other reasons, but a better dancer? Whaaa?

There's been a few. There was one over at TWOP who actually said she couldn't believe people were upset that James stayed over Charlie because James is such a better dancer and sited James straight legs vs Charlie's bent legs. I decided to treat that one as a troll but I've seen a few other comments to that effect. The only conclusion I can come to is that these people think the judges are scoring everyone in comparison to each other so they think a 9 for James is the same as a 9 for Charlie. They must not realize that a 9 for James would equal a 6 (if that) for Charlie.

I loved Giselle. It was my favorite short dance ever. I'm not including their Indian OD as that was an original dance before the merging of the OD and compulsory dance. Yes, it was very sweet for them to beat Tessa and Scott on their home turf!

Edited by bearcatfan

It's so delightful to see Charlie joking and goofing around on twitter and Instagram again today. I guess he's gotten over it faster than I have. ;-) Once again show, see how he's charming and funny - why didn't you package that?

I'm glad to see he's rehearsing something with Sharna and the troupe. After that slipshod send off, if was afraid they might accidentally forget to have him dance during the finale.

• Love 3

It's so delightful to see Charlie joking and goofing around on twitter and Instagram again today. I guess he's gotten over it faster than I have. ;-) Once again show, see how he's charming and funny - why didn't you package that?

I'm glad to see he's rehearsing something with Sharna and the troupe. After that slipshod send off, if was afraid they might accidentally forget to have him dance during the finale.

I just saw this on Twitter!  Does this mean Charlie will be on the show next week?  Dammit!  I was all set to not watch.  Now I'll have to tune in because, you know, you can never have too much Charlie!

I just saw this on Twitter!  Does this mean Charlie will be on the show next week?  Dammit!  I was all set to not watch.  Now I'll have to tune in because, you know, you can never have too much Charlie!

The finale is split into 2 nights next week (Monday and Tuesday). Monday night will be the final performances for the remaining couples that can be voted on (and I think one couple will be eliminated at the end of that episode). All the ousted couples return for Tuesday night's show and most dance again - usually a dance they've done previously but sometimes some of the couples do new routines. 

So we don't need to watch Monday Night?

This is the first time I've watched this show from the beginning of a season -- has a polka ever been done on DWTS?  If not, I highly doubt they would allow it.  If so, I would swoon if they were able to adapt this to the floor:

What made this performance (and their score) all the more enjoyable was that the World Championships were held in London, Ontario or, as it's referred to over at Figure Skating Universe http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/, Fake London, which is Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir's home town.

Yes that does look like a polka outfit.

In an interview I read today with Conrad Green, he had this to say about the casting of Meryl and Charlie:

Were you quite intent on casting Meryl and Charlie as a packaged deal?

We wanted to try and get both because we thought it would be an interesting dynamic to have two people who've been together suddenly separated in that way, and to see how that played out. But you can only go for a story if there's some element of truth to it, and with Charlie and Meryl's relationship, it just wasn't there, that sense of competition. They're both rooting for each other.

He also claims that there wasn't stuff that was left out for Charlie, or at least stuff that they could show without revealing too much. I don't know how much of that I believe.

Here's the link to the entire article:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dancing-stars-showrunner-conrad-green-705569

I don't think that's what he meant: 

Well, we try to pull the most entertaining, best or most revealing stuff. It's not like there are amazing bits of footage we leave on the floor in order to make a package that doesn't reveal much.

When he said "reveal much" I think he was referring to how the reporter said the packages never really revealed much about Charlie as a person.

In other words, they didn't intentionally hold back great footage of Charlie so that people wouldn't get to know him...they just didn't have great footage to begin with.

Except that I don't believe that. They showed very little of Charlie, especially Charlie and Sharna. Most weeks the show had Charlie's packages be "created" scenes instead of real moments. 

I don't think that's what he meant: 

When he said "reveal much" I think he was referring to how the reporter said the packages never really revealed much about Charlie as a person.

In other words, they didn't intentionally hold back great footage of Charlie so that people wouldn't get to know him...they just didn't have great footage to begin with.

(edited)

I agree that's what he meant, Bitsy, but I'm still not buying that Charlie only became funny last week. I think those short packages were a bit of retaliation for refusing to get scrappy with Meryl.

Edited by Barbara Manatee
  • Love 2

Charlie is both a sweetheart and a scamp. He and his girlfriend sent Sharna flowers with a card reading "Something beautiful for the most beautiful partner/friend we could ever hope for."

I can't wait to see if the nuttier parts of the Davis/White fanbase have the gall to get angry over that note after Meryl's Olympic journey package last night. It's going to be quite the dilemma for them.

• Love 2

Charlie is both a sweetheart and a scamp. He and his girlfriend sent Sharna flowers with a card reading "Something beautiful for the most beautiful partner/friend we could ever hope for."

I can't wait to see if the nuttier parts of the Davis/White fanbase have the gall to get angry over that note after Meryl's Olympic journey package last night. It's going to be quite the dilemma for them.

Many of them literally refer to Sharna as "Our Lord and Savior Sharna" because she's gushed about Meryl and Charlie's partnership from day one, so she's probably okay. And yeah, she knows about that. Someone tweeted her a bunch of screenshots from tumblr the other day. Coincidentally it was the same day someone sent Mama White a bunch of Merlie/Marlie shipper vids. I think it was also the three month anniversary of their OGM, too.

Charlie's supercalifragilisticespialadocius (did I spell that right?) was my favorite dance of all this season. Just so fun and full of energy and totally Charlie.

• Love 2

And it was Charlie taking care of Meryl at the end tonight after she's been lifted up--the nervous look on her face when things got shaky and the calm that came when she saw it was his hand steadying her was priceless.

• Love 6

Yes, Charlie seems like such a sweet and fun person. The way he celebrated for Meryl and how she calmed when she saw it was him speaks volumes for their partnership. I still feel a bit robbed that we didn't get to enjoy Charlie for longer in the season. At least he was classy the whole way through.

• Love 4

I just want to ask the props why they don't love Charlie?  I mean really cane, handkerchief, and umbrella?  What gives?  He's a really great guy if you'd just get to know him!  Love him like we do!

• Love 4
(edited)

The little face Charlie made when the umbrella broke was priceless but so fun <3 His and Sharna's dance was my favorite of the redos. I wish I could have seen more of the come back from commercial buffer dances especially Marlie's and Karina&Tony(which I think both probably show that Maks had a lot of help on his freestyle choreography).

Charlie was a blast to watch his season :D

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 3
(edited)

It was so wonderful seeing Charlie tonight, but I had a little hole in my heart that he wasn't in the finals, too.  I know he was super thrilled for Meryl, but I wish we could have seen more from him.

Hey , Len.  What was that you said when Charlie was eliminated?  "It's bloody ridiculous."  Well, maybe if you hadn't given him such a shit time and not knocked him down two points for breaking hold and another two for the "not special" paso (which was special!) he would have made more of an impression with the voting public.

But...

OMG, the umbrella!  The guy cannot catch a break, but he played it so damn well, I initially thought it was part of the dance.  Only in slo-mo did I see the umbrella slip out of its handle and Sharna's shocked face. And then her delight when he saved it with his adorable charm. 

I do also feel a bit cheated that we didn't get to see the entire Meryl/Charlie on wood dance.

Edited by goinggone
  • Love 5

Yes, poor Charlie, the props really had something against him! At least he didn't drop the umbrella. I loved his reaction after it broke, it made me like him even more.

• Love 2