Type keyword(s) to search

S18: Charlie White: Ice Prince

• Start Topic

(edited)

He got straight 9's for his paso. 

*No, he got 9s from CAI and Bruno, a 10 from Ricky and an 8 from Len.  Yeah, it averaged out to "straight 9s," but it wasn't.  And if Len hadn't punished Charlie for his desire for a perfect score, both in his verbal debasing and his score, it wouldn't have felt so awful.  I realize it wouldn't have made a lot of difference in the end, but I just hated the way the judges underscored several of Charlie's dances, not just his paso.

Interestingly, Maks & Meryl are in the background when Charlie and Sharna received their paso scores.  I loved Maks's reactions.  When CAI gave Charlie a 9, Maks was visibly was annoyed.   He did the ol' fist pump with Ricky's 10.  Then, with Len's 8, he was visibly upset, and covered his face with his hands in horror.  That endeared me to Maks.

*Edited to add:  Oops, that might have sounded a little harsh.  I didn't mean for it to sound argumentative, more informative.  Too bad there aren't fonts that convey the tone we're trying to use.

Edited by goinggone

I spent a little time rewatching his dances last night, and I still can't wrap my brain around Charlie finishing in 5th place. I know there are ways to explain it, but really, I just don't GET it.

I don't think the dance gods understood it either - the umbrella flying off the handle had to be a parting gift from someone. It was just too perfect.

*No, he got 9s from CAI and Bruno, a 10 from Ricky and an 8 from Len.  Yeah, it averaged out to "straight 9s," but it wasn't.  And if Len hadn't punished Charlie for his desire for a perfect score, both in his verbal debasing and his score, it wouldn't have felt so awful.  I realize it wouldn't have made a lot of difference in the end, but I just hated the way the judges underscored several of Charlie's dances, not just his paso.

I wonder if Len regrets that 8 after the fact. He seemed upset when Charlie was eliminated too early.

Since Charlie didn't get a montage when he was eliminated, a fan created one.  I'm not a member on Vimeo, but here it is.  I wish they'd used "Happy" for the background song.  Not only does it describe him to a T, he danced to it.  Marvelously, I might add.

• Love 2

That montage is great. It was awful that they ran out of time for a montage for Charlie. The timing of this show is always something that bothers me. We waste so much time with the suspense leading up to who is going home and then they get bum rushed off the stage in the last 20 seconds. Cut down on the spotlights, dramatic music and long pauses, announce who is going home with a good 10 minutes to go and then give them a proper send off.

I feel the same about the finale. I turned it on at 10:55 (I watched most of it on DVR but wanted to watch the announcement of the winners live) and thought I missed it, only to find that they left themselves no time at all. They announced the winners, some quick celebrating, one quick interview and boom, done. Announce them with 15 minutes to go, get the immediate reactions then cut to a video montage of the winners as they celebrate. Then come back and talk to the 2nd place finishers and give them a proper montage send off. Then go back to the winners who've had a minute to process they won and leave us with that. 

• Love 2

Meryl and Charlie have been tweeting about meeting with some of their sponsors - I guess that means that their time on DWTS has helped keep those sweet endorsement deals coming in.

They're also trolling the internet hard with teasers on Charlie's "radical" haircut. Those two are so delightful together, I'm glad they didn't take the competition as seriously as some of their fans did.

• Love 1

I personally think he looks better with the short hair.  He looks much more mature that way.

Agreed.  Now I can say he actually looks handsome instead of just cute. His long, floppy, blond curls made it next to impossible to not compare him to a puppy.

I love the short hair. Love. Love. Love. I sort of wish he had this haircut during the DWTS season. As superficial and silly as it is, I think he looks much more handsome and adult with the shorter hair. I think he would have looked like a better match with Sharna with the shorter hair. 

With those cheeks and that smile, Charlie's always going to be on the adorable side of handsome. Except when he steps on the ice, and transforms into a stud.

He does look great. Though I do hope the hair is long enough to fly when they do those skating specials in the fall.

• Love 1

I don't know what got into them today, but they were hilarious on Twitter earlier. Charlie got a hashtag called #Merylsaidit going and people were making up the most random statements and hashtagging them #Merylsaidit. Then Meryl threatened to shave his head.

• Love 2

I don't know what got into them today, but they were hilarious on Twitter earlier. Charlie got a hashtag called #Merylsaidit going and people were making up the most random statements and hashtagging them #Merylsaidit. Then Meryl threatened to shave his head.

This is why I don't buy that they was nothing that occurred during Charlie's rehearsals that would have made entertaining packages. I've heard that Charlie is always like this, maybe not to the extreme that he was today, but usually teasing and joking. There's a reason that Meryl is pretty quick with the comebacks; she's had plenty of practice at it over the years!

• Love 3

So I have a lot of feelings about Charlie's hair. It's ridiculous, but it's been a pretty visible and popular part of their partnership and it definitely seems like more than just his usual summer cut. Perhaps I might feel better if it were even shorter, because damn. He looks very nice in this picture with what looked like an even shorter cut.

I loved the media blitz, even if it was only to advertise for Puffs :) Meryl and Charlie can be very media-trained, but they seemed relaxed and far more natural this time around (when they didn't have to contractually bring up softpacks, lord jesus). 

• Love 2

In one of the interviews today, I forget which one, Meryl mentioned that apparently Charlie has been dying to cut his hair for years but that their coach strongly urged him not to because it was so tied to their identity on the ice. So he took one for the team.

He seems really happy with his new 'do. I think it looks good, even if I do miss the floppy hair. I wonder if he'll grow it back out if they decide they want to continue competing.

I just think the short hair and the Ralph Lauren clothes make him look too much like Charles Wentworth White III who just graduated from Yale and hopes to get a good job at a brokerage firm so he can join the yacht club.  He's had an "in between" cut before that was nice and tidy and not floppy which looked good.

• Love 1

I really don't think either of them read too much about themselves. Today I had to wait on car repairs so I listened to all the interviews that were done with them yesterday.(You can go to Meryl and Charlie.com) Although a lot of the interviews were similar one brought up Val's remarks about Meryl and Maks King Kong like relationship. Meryl was both laughing and slightly horrified but you could tell neither one had heard it. Meryl said I don't discuss my private life but Val is getting a call this afternoon. Charlie couldn't stop laughing and saying "you mean like destroying cities".It was obvious that he thought this was one of the funniest things he everheard.

Meryl and Charlie have announced that they're sitting out the upcoming competitive season, but aren't making any decisions beyond that. I knew it was coming once they signed up for DWTS, but still... I'm more disappointed to hear it confirmed than I expected.

Pretty clever, making the announcement as they beat it out of town for vacation.

• Love 1

I'm not surprised.  My understanding was that they had planned to retire from competitive ice dancing after the Olympics in order to finish their respective college educations, which is why I had never expected them to do DWTS in the first place, even though they were on my celebrity wish list.

I figured this was coming. Meryl said that they were going to be busier than they thought in the coming months and won't be spending much time at home. It's going to be strange not having them there this season. There's a lot of very talented teams, but Meryl and Charlie always had a little extra something special that made them stand out.

They really do. I want to keep seeing them, so now I'll really be crossing all my fingers that those skating specials do well. It'll be very interesting to see how their skating changes, what with all their new ballroom experience and the freedom to ignore the rules.

Maybe now that crazy blogger can stand down at last.

As I said in Meryl's thread I think there is a small chance that they will com back for Boston worlds but this is a team that already has Silver and Gold Olympic medals in ice dancing and then a Team Olympic Bronze medal. They are the USA's first ever Ice dancing work champions. This team doesn't need to do more. I will miss them and hope to see more because I think their partnership is very unique and I will miss that quality and the power and excitement from watching them move across the ice. I think the thing that makes me sad is thinking I'll never see them do twizzles again....

I wish that the US ladies did better since I think that is the only real chance of reviving Pro skating. I miss it still even though it's been years since it died...

After 5 years, if Tanith came home from that trip to Hawaii without an engagement ring, Charlie was going to come home single.  [sending a virtual horseshoe to Charlie and Tanith, because they both got lucky.]

• Love 2

Congratulations to Charlie!  He and long-time girlfriend Tanith Belbin got engaged today!

I've always thought that Tanith was one of the most beautiful women to ever lace up a pair of skates and remains so today.  Good on You Charlie!

• Love 2

There's an interesting rumor going around about partner switching. Supposedly Sharna was originally paired with Bruce Jenner and Charlie with either Peta (according to Kristyn Burtt) or Karina (according to someone at the Pure site who says he heard it from Karina). Bruce dropped out at the last minute, and Sean Avery agreed to take his place, but only if he was matched with Karina.

I have a hard time believing TPTB passed up the chance to have Meryl and Charlie paired up with the ex-fiancees in order to get Sean Avery. But then again, it almost seems there had to be a reason they didn't set up that foursome. Imagine the drama, especially once the showmance took off. Too bad - having a partner with such a big fanbase would have helped Charlie a lot.

I'm afraid Charlie may have been even more overshadowed because they would no doubt try to create some love triangle/dramatic storyline out of Karina/Maks/Meryl or Peta/Maks/Meryl. Charlie would have just been along for the ride.

(edited)

Charlie and Meryl are up for ESPY awards as best male and best female Olympians. I hope their new DWTS fans can help get them each a win. Figure skaters don't usually get much respect in the wider sports world, so it'd be really sweet.

Here are the direct links :) 

Meryl: http://espn.go.com/espys/2014/vote/?id=11044319

Charlie: http://espn.go.com/espys/2014/vote/?id=11044300

If you have time you can vote on each of your Browsers on the computer and phone ;)

Edited by tarotx