Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 2/12/2024

• Start Topic

Monday, Feb. 12 – Killer Mike (album, “Michael”)

Tuesday, Feb. 13 – Billy Dee Williams (author, “What Have We Here?”)

Wednesday, Feb. 14 – Amy Schumer (“Life & Beth”)

Thursday, Feb. 15 – Jennifer Lopez (album and series, “This Is Me… Now”)

Friday, Feb. 16 – Rita Ora (“The Masked Singer”); John Quiñones (ABC’s ”What Would You Do?”)

• Thanks 1
(edited)

Everyone jumping on Nikki Hailey for ignoring things and taking a job in the previous administration. Awkward for Alyssa who did too. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Everyone jumping on Nikki Hailey for ignoring things and taking a job in the previous administration. Awkward for Alyssa who did too. 

True, but Alyssa has over and over again warned of his danger to democracy AND she has testified against him to the DOJ. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
7 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

True, but Alyssa has over and over again warned of his danger to democracy AND she has testified against him to the DOJ. 

And she would never work for him again.  Nikki Haley would jump at the chance to work for him again.

• Like 6
37 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

True.  But she did come across a bit "hit dog" during the discussion.   

The way Alyssa spoke  today, made me wonder if she is also worried that he would personally go after her if he was re-elected.    

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, After7Only said:

The way Alyssa spoke  today, made me wonder if she is also worried that he would personally go after her if he was re-elected.    

She would be crazy to think he wouldn't go after her & the same applies to anyone he feels has wronged him. 

• Like 7
11 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, this is the problem with The View always hiring someone closely tied to the news being discussed. On one hand, it gives them relevance having a name involved around, but the downside is the way it forces them to tiptoe through all their conversations.

Alyssa would go back in a heartbeat. I guess 12/28 would be roundabout the time of her next PR tour in that scenario, lol.

• Like 1

Wow! what a wise man Killer Mike is! I had never heard of him before Grammy night and I must admit I judged the book by its name. I have changed my tune. The story of him and Ana on Bill Maher's show (in 2016!) was cute. 

12 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Wow! what a wise man Killer Mike is! I had never heard of him before Grammy night and I must admit I judged the book by its name. I have changed my tune. The story of him and Ana on Bill Maher's show (in 2016!) was cute. 

He's been on Real Time w Bill Maher several times, so I was familiar with him.  I did love him taking Sunny to task after she said he supported Georgia governor Brian Kemp.  For all of Sunny's degrees, it seems she can't grasp the simplest of nuances.

• Like 2

Today Alyssa was making a lot of good points about perception and voter apathy and no one was listening to her. It was one of those days Whoopi and Sunny were being know it alls rather than admit there’s a problem. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
20 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It was one of those days Whoopi and Sunny were being know it alls rather than admit there’s a problem. 

So in other words, different day Same old sh**?

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

Sunny's litany of people who are old and are still working is impressive, but not really relevant in terms of the Presidential election. She herself said that age doesn't equate to intelligence, vitality, etc. People who are older can still be doing lots of things, but that doesn't mean that just being old means that you are vital, intelligent, etc. and can still do the job that requires a lot of all of that. People are using "old age" as shorthand for failing faculties because it is hard to convey the more complicated problems that both presumed candidates have. The problem is that both parties for whatever reason seem committed to putting up these two people who are flawed (and "old") instead of building up other choices, which I think is the point that Alyssa seems to be trying to make, even though the rest of the panel doesn't appear to want to hear it.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Alyssa said exactly the words and the wording I’ve been using for months & she is 100% correct, the country is sleep walking into a dictatorship. It’s just another one of the many reasons that Alyssa is worried about her own safety which is why I don’t think she would take a job with him again, but I’ve been wrong before. 

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Today Alyssa was making a lot of good points about perception and voter apathy and no one was listening to her. It was one of those days Whoopi and Sunny were being know it alls rather than admit there’s a problem. 

Yup.....same sh*t, different day! 

I also appreciated Sara giving a subtle dressing down to the others about the fact that NO ONE should be made to feel "wrong" because of their opinion on this matter or any other matter, for that point.  Sara is correct.  People are entitled to their opinions, and, if you want to "play the poll game", most voters ARE concerned about the age issues that could arise with both Biden and Trump.

Joy sits there, looking exasperated and insulted when the age topic is brought up.  I mean, seriously - I get it - she's 81, so she's going to always take this personally.  Sunny rattling off the names of other brilliant, vibrant and still working octogenarians was fine, but again, these people are NOT running the country - there's a big difference between the Presidency and the acting jobs of Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino, for example.

I was surprised at Joy's comments regarding Jon Stewart's monologue.  He was basically making a joke, or giving a satirical monologue.  He took shots at both Biden and Trump - it wasn't one sided.  Again, I find that these women often act the same way that they complain about with the other side of the political arena from them.  They get angry if anyone makes a joke about Biden, however, they make jokes about Trump all the time, and complain that Trump and his team take offense.  

Can't have it both ways.  

It's going to be a loooong time til November if this is amping up already.  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
31 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Sunny rattling off the names of other brilliant, vibrant and still working octogenarians was fine, but again, these people are NOT running the country - there's a big difference between the Presidency and the acting jobs of Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino, for example.

You are so right! Acting is one skill set that doesn't necessarily require a lot of on-the-spot decision making or delicate diplomacy. There's also a big difference between DeNiro or Pacino becoming fathers late in life and being the President. I'd be surprised if either one of them was doing most of the baby chores themselves; my impression is the mothers or nannies are doing that heavy lifting, and you can be sure that they aren't over 80. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Whoopi in particular has acknowledged the problem multiple times.     But she's basically of the opinion that it's too late.  There  is basically no other path rather than Biden vs Trump  so discussing the age thing is a waste of time.. 

Sunny has acknowledged the problem as well and went so far as to suggest that Biden could step down after he secured the nomination and be replaced by Gavin Newsome.   

Both are basically tired of Alyssa putting the onus on the Dem's to save democracy everyday.   She has good points, but I'd also like her to put that same level of energy towards her own party every day.   Implore the Republicans to nominate someone else and save democracy sometimes.....      

• Like 4

Ana, Sunny, and Whoopi were all on fire Monday's show. Ana's right that some (*coughAlyssacough*) are fanning the flames whereas Biden's age is concerned to create a problem to benefit their electoral chances more than anything else.

As for today, I feel like they've been having the same discussion for a year, so I'm not really sure why Alyssa acts like her commentary on Biden's age hasn't been heard a million times over by now? And it didn't change the inevitable outcome. Like Joy said, that ship has sailed, what is her point anymore? She tried to claim she's simply trying to help defeat Trump by bringing it up ad nauseum, but she can't honestly believe that continuing to magnify what she sees as flaws in the only candidate that could stop him is going to help the situation? She's actually worked in politics so nobody believes she's that dumb, it's obvious what her real motives are.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

what is her point anymore?

Her point is that there is so much voter apathy that too many independent voters will sit this one out, leading to another Trump win.  She suggests that the Dems are not getting the message out regarding the accomplishments of the past 3 years.  However her insistence that Biden should be replaced is where she loses me in the argument.

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 5

Everyone kept referring to Valentine's Day as a made-up holiday. But when you think about it, aren't most holidays "made-up"? A society or culture makes the decision to make a special acknowledgment of a particular date or event and celebrate it in some way, while other dates or events just pass by without any particular attention, even if they are significant in other ways. Are we going to start referring to MLK Jr. Day as "made-up"? What about July 4th, Juneteenth, Labor Day? Some holidays were developed more commercially, like Mother's Day, but few people are willing to call that one "made-up". Valentine's Day isn't for everyone, and there does tend to be some pressure to make it "special" for couples, leaving other people feeling left out, but that doesn't make it a bad holiday if you want to participate. I used to love Halloween, especially in my 20s and 30s, because we young adults had the chance to play act and act out, getting dressed in costume and going out and partying. I don't do any of that anymore, and I'm OK with that. Now it is just a day when I need to have candy available for any Trick or Treaters who show up. I don't begrudge those who still enjoy the wilder fun of it. Holidays work for some people and not for others, but it is very likely that there's one out there that you will happily celebrate, even if other people don't care about it and feel it is made-up - it doesn't matter. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Everyone kept referring to Valentine's Day as a made-up holiday. But when you think about it, aren't most holidays "made-up"? A society or culture makes the decision to make a special acknowledgment of a particular date or event and celebrate it in some way, while other dates or events just pass by without any particular attention, even if they are significant in other ways. Are we going to start referring to MLK Jr. Day as "made-up"? What about July 4th, Juneteenth, Labor Day? Some holidays were developed more commercially, like Mother's Day, but few people are willing to call that one "made-up". Valentine's Day isn't for everyone, and there does tend to be some pressure to make it "special" for couples, leaving other people feeling left out, but that doesn't make it a bad holiday if you want to participate. I used to love Halloween, especially in my 20s and 30s, because we young adults had the chance to play act and act out, getting dressed in costume and going out and partying. I don't do any of that anymore, and I'm OK with that. Now it is just a day when I need to have candy available for any Trick or Treaters who show up. I don't begrudge those who still enjoy the wilder fun of it. Holidays work for some people and not for others, but it is very likely that there's one out there that you will happily celebrate, even if other people don't care about it and feel it is made-up - it doesn't matter. 

I bet the couple that won that trip are glad for the "made up" holiday!  That was a very, very nice prize - the Boca Raton Club is gorgeous!!  

The only thing I don't like about these giveaways is that the person winning them has to declare the dollar value of the prize as income and probably have to pay taxes on it.  Taxes will be less expensive than if you paid for the trip, but it still could be problematic for some.

However, I'd be happy to spend four nights at that resort!  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I bet the couple that won that trip are glad for the "made up" holiday!  That was a very, very nice prize - the Boca Raton Club is gorgeous!!  

The only thing I don't like about these giveaways is that the person winning them has to declare the dollar value of the prize as income and probably have to pay taxes on it.  Taxes will be less expensive than if you paid for the trip, but it still could be problematic for some.

However, I'd be happy to spend four nights at that resort!  

Like when someone wins a new car.  A friend did and the taxes were quite high.  

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

And the insurance on a brand new, big fancy car is more expensive too.  It would make sense to sell it and buy something more reasonable and have money left to pay the taxes on it.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 2/12/2024 at 10:29 PM, Gemma Violet said:

Nah, would never happen.  She's done with the previous president.  

I agree, but the more likely reason is Trump wouldn't take her (and/or wouldn't get the chance to hire her again anyway).

19 hours ago, Haleth said:

Her point is that there is so much voter apathy that too many independent voters will sit this one out, leading to another Trump win.  She suggests that the Dems are not getting the message out regarding the accomplishments of the past 3 years.  However her insistence that Biden should be replaced is where she loses me in the argument.

The problem for me is she's not saying anything that hasn't been said many, many, MANY times... And that's including by her on this show, not even getting into the general media landscape. Moreover, her own advice to the other ladies in the past has been that they shouldn't criticize any of Trump's primary opponents because they should want one of them to be the nominee instead if they really want him to be stopped; she's aware criticism of Trump's opponents is good for Trump. So even looking at her own history, there's no denying she knows that if she really means what she claims that she wants someone to beat Trump, you don't go on TV every day and use your platform to exaggerate and repeat incessantly the flaws of the only opponent he has left. She knows Biden isn't going to be replaced and he can't exactly change his age. She comes across very disingenuous at best and a bad faith actor at worst.

Today's show was a bore, as you'd expect with it being Valentine's Day. Schumer being there and Joy's and Whoopi's obvious disinterest in the holiday causing several funny moments were the only things that were worth seeing.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

What a delightful guest Rita Ora was!  She seems like a lot of fun. 

I loved the Shrek cottage! Kudos to her husband for being a good sport about it. That's one thing that helps a marriage become solid. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I loved the Shrek cottage! Kudos to her husband for being a good sport about it. That's one thing that helps a marriage become solid. 

I mean, her husband's Taika Waititi so dressing up as Shrek is pretty on brand for him.  

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

What a delightful guest Rita Ora was!  She seems like a lot of fun. 

Rita Ora guest Co-Hosted with Hoda the other day & I found her delightful, I dont know much about her or her music but she comes across as fun & bubbly.

• Love 1

Too funny to see Sunny accidentally admit she keeps money in the house, with Joy then warning her, "Don't put that out there!"  Realizing what she'd done, she repeated over and over, "It's in a safe!" 

Manny will not be pleased.  😆 

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Too funny to see Sunny accidentally admit she keeps money in the house, with Joy then warning her, "Don't put that out there!"  Realizing what she'd done, she repeated over and over, "It's in a safe!" 

Manny will not be pleased.  😆 

Now the thieves know to look for a safe.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

When Joy said not to put it out there, Sunny should have quickly responded something like, "Oh, we just keep a few hundred dollars on hand to use for tips or to pay the yard guy.  No big amount."  . . .  and then quickly move on.  By dwelling on the fact she has a safe, it made one think she's got a fortune in there. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

When Joy said not to put it out there, Sunny should have quickly responded something like, "Oh, we just keep a few hundred dollars on hand to use for tips or to pay the yard guy.  No big amount."  . . .  and then quickly move on.  By dwelling on the fact she has a safe, it made one think she's got a fortune in there. 

Sunny likes to brag. Notice how she name dropped Hakeem Jefferies saying he was friend.

• Like 6
(edited)
17 hours ago, Axie said:

She also likes to tell people when & where she is travelling  (& namedropping any famous travelmates). Though she must have someone drop by to feed her menagerie when her home is unoccupied. The "yard" guy?

Edited by Denize
17 hours ago, Axie said:

I'd bet that both Sunny and Whoopi have reliable security systems and people.  Let the thieving attempts begin!

On 2/14/2024 at 4:50 PM, Natalie68 said:

I don't think there's an obligation to ACCEPT a prize.  In my state with all sales taxes, one might pay $3,500 on a $40,000 car.  If that tax is too steep for me, I might have to decline.  SURELY, I'd find a way to pay!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I'd bet that both Sunny and Whoopi have reliable security systems and people.  Let the thieving attempts begin!

I don't think there's an obligation to ACCEPT a prize.  In my state with all sales taxes, one might pay $3,500 on a $40,000 car.  If that tax is too steep for me, I might have to decline.  SURELY, I'd find a way to pay!

Isn't that only if you're buying the car & you then pay sales tax whereas if you win it as a prize it is taxed as income so that whatever you tax rate is determines the cost to you, not the cost of the car, so more like a $10,000 tax cost.

Unless of course you are a Canadian or British taxpayer & then you pay nothing on prize winnings. 

• Mind Blown 1
On 2/13/2024 at 12:38 PM, KittyQ said:

People are using "old age" as shorthand for failing faculties because it is hard to convey the more complicated problems that both presumed candidates have.

The common perception is that Biden is failing because he miss-speaks. There are two questions I'd like some answers to. 1) Biden has always been a "gaffe machine." I read a couple of neurologist's opinions from when he was vice-president or before, theorizing that his miss-speaking is probably related to his stuttering disability as a child. Biden himself rejected this opinion at the time, but I think he worked so hard to learn coping mechanisms to overcome his stutter, that he wants to think he conquered it.  2) Are the instances when Biden miss-speaks getting more frequent as he ages?  I'm not sure.

• Like 2